XIV. Kobold Lair - Underground I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

XIV. Kobold Lair - Underground I

#1 Post by dmw71 »

"Hold still, this may be a bit prickly" Sylvan says to Fulp, standing next to him, as he begins rubbing holly over himself first, then Fulp, before he begins chanting: Lig dúinn leá isteach sa solas i súile ár gcairde ainmhithe

"That should keep us out of the sight of those snappers and let us get the jump on 'em," he says. Sylvan requests that Nighttail go down first, but Sparrow is busy questioning their kobold companion about the meaning of what they heard moments earlier. "Does that mean they saw the Halfling and the alarm has been raised? Or do they simply "stir up the turtles" every now and then?" Nighttail confirms their suspicions: Ciar was spotted and the alarm was raised.

Without wasting time, Sparrow goes down the rope first, followed by Fulp, then Sylvan, Leliana, and Sorsha. Grim and Nighttail have a brief standoff over who will go down last, with the kobold winning out, and the dwarf descends after Sorsha, to be followed by Nighttail.

On the far side of the room they're lowering themselves into, the group spies the outlines of two pools of water; one pool is on the north side of the ovoid cavern and the second on the south. Beyond the pool is a passage heading east. Those reaching this lower level spill into the room, creating space for those coming down behind them.

There is no sign of Ciar or any kobold guard.
Entry.png
Entry.png (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Actions?

Rolls:
None.

---

Date: 7 Neth, Year 4707
Time: 15:45 (Sunrise: 06:41, Sunset: 16:52)
Temp: 57F outside (55F in lair)
Conditions: Winds, E 11mph
Light Sources: Everlit torch (Sparrow), Everlit torch (Fulp Ciar)
Known Spells in Effect: Sylvan's 'Invisibility to Animals' on himself and Fulp (ends at 15:53)
Spells Remaining: Sylvan (priest-1st: 4, 3)
* Note: Spell-casting character will be listed above only after they reveal themselves to be casters.

Health
Good: Grim, Leliana, Sorsha
Fair: Ciar, Fulp, Sparrow, Sylvan
Serious: None
Critical: None
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: XIV. Kobold Lair - Underground I

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Staying in the very center of the tunnel, Sparrow sprints past the turtle pools to the corner of the hallway. 25

He peers down the hall with his torch, trying to find any sign that Ciar took off after the kobold guard.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Sparrow wastes no time and quickly rushes between the two pools bookending either side of the small, tight corridor leading east out of their current landing area. Doing so safely, he's forced to slow slightly as he enters the new eastern passage, which he can see abruptly turns right after 20-feet. Just as he reaches this right-hand turn, Ciar arrives, approaching from the opposite direction. The halfling shares what he learned:

This southern turn is cluttered with rubble making the already cramped passage even more so. There is no sight of the kobold guard that spotted him and fled, as it was apparently able to navigate its native terrain quickly enough to escape into a cavern which opens at the end of this southern passage he's arriving from.

He wasn't able to see much, but can tell that a large pool of dark water sits in the middle of the large, but low-ceilinged cavern ahead of him. Nighttail confirms that this larger pool is where the turtles are, and the smaller pools in this entry area house frogs and tadpoles, which the kobolds use for food.

The remaining duration of Sylvan's invisibility spell has been shortened.
South.png
South.png (17.94 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Actions?

Rolls:
None.

---

Time: 15:47 (Sunrise: 06:41, Sunset: 16:52)
Known Spells in Effect: Sylvan's 'Invisibility to Animals' on himself and Fulp (ends at 15:53)
* Note: Spell-casting character will be listed above only after they reveal themselves to be casters.

Health
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tooleychris »

Sorsha will head toward Sparrow & Ciar.
"Keep an eye on our lizard friend."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by AleBelly »

"Fulp, let's get to it" says Sylvan, rushing forward as quickly as possible to the edge of the water containing the turtles. He hopes to scout the pool to determine how many turtles they are and how big they are. If he needs to, he will wade in carefully.

"The kobolds already know we're here. I need a light source to look into the water."
Last edited by AleBelly on Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow is confused as to the druids actions but again says nothing.

He goes back to the small pools and try's his hand at catching the biggest frogs. He knows that turtles would rather have an easy meal tossed to them than risk their lives trying to fight for one.

Nighttail, do you think you could show me your technique on getting the big ones out of here so we can use them as bait to get past the turtles?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

AleBelly wrote:"Fulp, let's get to it"
I just need to know, for positioning purposes, where Sylvan and Fulp (and anyone else) will be.
Attachments
Turtles.png
Turtles.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan will wade into square 20 if he doesn't have to go more than waist deep. If the lightbearers don't follow close behind, he'll grab an everbrite in one hand and a shield in another.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by tooleychris »

Sorsha, figuring daggers won't be much use against a shield sized turtles hard shell, will wait and watch the far side of the pool for unwanted visitors of a softer nature.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Ciar will retrieve the everbright torch from Fulp and follow Sylvan, if Fulp doesn't want to do the task.

He moves to 28 to see if that provides enough light...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by onlyme »

Fulp will go to 22, then.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

"Fulp, let's get to it" says Sylvan, rushing forward as quickly as possible towards the large pool sitting in the middle of the large but low-ceilinged cavern. "I'll need a light source to look into the water," he adds as Fulp trails on the druid's heels. Ciar carrying an everlit torch, heeds the call for light and advances closely behind the pair to provide the requested illumination. Sparrow, Grim, and Sorsha fill the rest of the tight, north-south tunnel; with Leliana and Nighttail limited to waiting around the turn.

His spell still rendering himself and Fulp invisible to animals, Sylvan locks in on the cavern ahead and begins to visually scan the pool area off to his right. Now closer to the actual entrance, he is able to see that the room is larger than previously known, with three apparent exits: one off to either side and a third straight ahead. There is also a larger section set off just left of the entrance.

The druid is so focused on his destination that he fails to detect the pair of kobolds which flank the northern tunnel, one on either side. The pair are armed with guisarmes, and having been alerted by the kobold guard from the entry room, and able to hear the approaching intruders, slide the shafts of their elongated weapons across the floor, a few inches off the surface, with their partner on the opposite side propping it against the inner wall of the cavern wall. Sylvan's foot catches on the sturdy wooden shaft, which doesn't budge, and he is unable to catch his balance. His momentum carries him forward and sends him stumbling ahead 5-feet before crashing head first into the pool straight ahead! Fulp witnesses what happens before him just in time to prevent the same from happening to himself and is able to stop short of the entrance.

A trio of angry snapping turtles begin to swarm towards the area of the splash.
Splash.png
Splash.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 982 times

Actions?

Rolls:
Surprise: Monsters [1d10+2] = 4+2 = 6, PCs [1d10-2] = 6-2 = 4

---

Time: 15:49 (Sunrise: 06:41, Sunset: 16:52)

Health
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by onlyme »

can Fulp maneuver around either K2 or k3 without stepping in the pool?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:can Fulp maneuver around either K2 or k3 without stepping in the pool?
Not uncontested. He would probably need to grapple his way past whichever was in his way.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

If Fulp moves forward one square, then Ciar will do so as well, attacking the kobold that Fulp does not grapple/attack.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While Sparrow is trapped behind the others, he will toss his handful of frogs over the heads of those in front of him. He tries to get them as far into the pool as possible.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

Fulp moves forward enough to attack k3 while Ciar can move through to eliminate k2.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by saalaria »

Grim, stuck in the "queue", waits for it to become clear so he can advance.

"Sounds like 'Es gonna get ate! let's get in there!" he prods Ciar a little harder than he intended in his excitement.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by AleBelly »

Smiling at Sparrow's ingenuity, Sylvan collects himself, walking slowly through the water to the other side, hoping that the splashing of the frogs distracts the turtles from attacking.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tooleychris »

Sorsha also waits her turn in line.
"What's going on up there? I can't see anything!"

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”