1) The Haunted House

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

1) The Haunted House

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I have put a lot of thought into what classes the party will consist of once you level to 1st. I see lots of possibilities for the Fighter class and a couple of Clerics but, I'm seeing very little in the way of arcane casters or any of the specialty classes.

I don't want die rolls to hinder you from playing what you truly want to play so, I've come up with a few ideas on how to bump stats for those wishing to go with Ranger or Druid etc. I obviously won't be able to do this for everyone but, I think it would be alright to do it for one or two.

This is all you have to do...

In your private character sheet thread, please post whichever class you want to start the game as. (I want to keep this discussion separate from the other two threads) I would like for each of you to do this even if your choice is obvious or if we've already discussed it elsewhere.

If you have an idea for a special class and you can spruce it up even further through awesome roleplay, I will pick a couple of you to receive the necessary stat bumps that your character will need to obtain the proper class. This will most likely be done through magic items that you can find. However, if a couple of you totally kill it with your ideas and your implementation of said ideas during the game, I am more than willing to work something out with you.

If you don't have any ideas and you just want to play a fighter or cleric or whatever, that's perfectly fine as well. Just post that in you private character sheet thread so I can get an idea of what we have going on for the group. If you're still undecided and want to see how the adventure plays out before you choose, just say that in your private character sheet thread.

Thanks!

FYI: No Paladins or Assassins will be allowed.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: 1) The Haunted House

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Also, now that the game is afoot, I am going to be fairly strict about the 48 hour post rate. I like to keep the action moving rather quickly in my games, especially when we are in a combat situation. If you can't consistently post every two days, I will most likely NPC your characters actions. If I have to do that a lot, it usually doesn't end well for that character. :shock: :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And so it begins......

The newly formed and rather motley crew sets out with their meager possessions from the quiet town of Saltmarsh on their way to the haunted mansion to seek their fame and fortune. A few townspeople notice your party as you pass them on the road and small groups gather to gossip about what a large band such as yours might be up to.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (607.76 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
The weather is nearly perfect for a walk along the seashore and the trip goes by rather uneventfully. With the excitement of becoming a hero and the help of Doubtful and Keilif, who have both seen the house from a distance many times, you get there even sooner than anticipated.

As you near the building.....

The mansion sits alone on the top of a 70 foot cliff that overlooks the sea. The views from inside the place must be spectacular indeed. In its heyday, the home was probably quite beautiful, not to mention a major symbol of the alchemists opulence. After several decades of neglect however, the thing now looks old, rundown, and completely dilapidated.

A 5 foot stone wall surrounds the property but it is crumbling in many places and has areas where it has fallen in all together. An ornamental wrought iron gate in front of the building stands open, with one side starting to fall from its rusty hinges. The gardens surrounding the home are overgrown and show no signs of any care for many years. Weeds grow long in several places but the walkway from the gate to the house is still discernible, even from your distant vantage point.

The house is about 80 feet from the cliffs edge. You can hear the cacophony of noise from the seas waves crashing onto the rocks below. The building is two stories and about 35 feet tall in total with a peaked, gabled roof. You can see many holes in the roof where the slate tiles are missing. The whole area has an unattended feel to it and you see no indication that anyone has been here in a very long time.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (329.35 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Vhing Cranepool

Vhing walks up to the gates and takes a moment to take in all the scenery. After a few weeks of Trench town stink and stonewalls, it is refreshing to be here.

"It is quiet, green and I bet the view over the cliffs is great. Doesn't look spooky in the least."Vhing says pushing fully open wide the rusty wrought gates. He does a little flourish and bow to the rest of the party. In a mock Addams family 'Lurch' voice he says,"Welcome brave adventurers. "As they pass him by he taps Doubtful on the shoulder." Make a little note boss, I got first dibs on cashing in these gates at the scrapmongers."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif Zythanthus:

Keilif laughs at Vhing's jest about the gates, and takes in the view of the manor for himself. He is in awe of how impressive the structure is, and it's one time opulence is still quite evident. He has see the place many times from afar while out fishing in the ocean, but it never occurred to him that the place would be so massive when seen up close. "Why would one man need such a huge home?", Keilif wonders. "There looks to be a well over to the side of the house." He points the structure out to the others.
Last edited by Mant72 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly the Baker

Burly follows along and his first view of the manor house leaves him breathless. "In it's hey-day, I bet this house was a site to see! And I didn't know the ocean...well...that's a lot of water out there. Speaking of, anybody got anything to drink? Maybe there's still water in that old well? What do ya think?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif Zythanthus:

Keilif rummages through his satchel and retrieves his waterskin, which he offers to Burly. "Drink up. Perhaps the well water is okay to drink, but have this instead. Shall we check it out?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis strides through the gate

The keep has fallen to disrepair, perhaps when this is over the lord will allow us to take it over and we can make it a new stronghold. we should serach the grounds around the keep first before we enter. just to be sure there is no ambush waiting to seal us in.

jervis heads left of the gate

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben agrees with Jervis "let's search the grounds before we enter. Let's keep an eye on the time so we don't get stuck in there after dark."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif Zythanthus:

"I agree, Ben. Let's have a look about and set up a camp before night falls. This place isn't inviting during the day. I would surmise it is even less so during the night." Keilif looks at Burly and heads towards the well, "Coming with?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

Mant72 wrote:Keilif Zythanthus:

"I agree, Ben. Let's have a look about and set up a camp before night falls. This place isn't inviting during the day. I would surmise it is even less so during the night." Keilif looks at Burly and heads towards the well, "Coming with?"
"Ya, I'm coming. Thanks for the water."
Not knowing really what else to do, Burly pulls the rolling pin from his belt and grips it like a club. He hopes nobody tells his grandmother about it.
With Keilif on one side, the two of them head for the well.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Investigating the ground for tracks or any disturbance- from the road to the gate, inside the crumbling wall, especially around the gate.

Muttering, Let's see if appearances match the reality.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Fulci »

Jónas Gillman

Jónas is impressed by the desolate mansion - it has a romantic tinge, he already imagines Rose flowing through the corridors at night in her white gown, with one of those fancy silver candle holders, what are those called, maybe Keilif knows? Jónas almost asks him, but then he snaps back into reality. They are here to investigate the place. He tags along with Keilif and Burly, a few steps behind, looking from side to side.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif Zythanthus:
Fulci wrote:Jónas Gillman

He tags along with Keilif and Burly, a few steps behind, looking from side to side.
Keilif notices Jónas running up behind he and Burly, and stops to wait for the half-elf to catch up.
Last edited by Mant72 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

"C'mon, Jonas > ya think we might find something?"
Winter is coming...

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nordbo »

Danny Cruester

follows those about to investigate the well, picking up a handful of pebbles and stones along the way. Good for measuring depth ? Well, yes.... but mainly because the splashing sound they make is fun.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

Vhing Cranepool

Vhing waits until Ermulf and Alec come through the wrought gates. "Could make a nice hammer and axe from these at your forge couldn't we",smiles Vhing to the dwarf,"I'll cut you in on the deal.". Vhing points to the left, motioning to where Jervis ran off exploring by himself and to the well. Aware that all of us passing through the gates has maybe trampled over evidence of other footsteps, Vhing will join the others exploring the well. He hopes for a secret rusty grate at the bottom of the shaft, covering a drain leading to the cellars.

Vhing looks with a quizzical look at Danny. "You sailors say these pebbles are good for measuring depth. How did you fathom that?"he asks.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Nordbo »

Danny Cruester

in reply to Vhing, mutters awkwardly: "Umm...something I picked up somewhere, I s'pose" (he's not going to reveal his carefully memorized D = v0t + 1/2a*t^2 speed/gravity/distance formula to any old stranger now, is he !)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (485 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
The sun is high in the sky as the shoal spreads out onto the property. You can just barely make out the Saltmarsh noon bell ringing as the sound is carried towards you on the warm sea breezes.

Vhing pushes the rusty gate inwards to let the others file in. He immediately calls dibs on the scrap metal, mistakenly thinking that he now owns the place. Keilif points out the well towards the back of the house and he and Burly move to investigate it.

You've noticed that Burly seems a little weaker than when you first met him. Oddly, his wit seems sharper than normal as well.

Jonas daydreams about silver candelabras and then absently follows the pair to the well. Vhing makes a terrible joke to Danny as they also head towards the well.

Ermulf and Alec stand speechless as they take in the sight of the massive home.

Jervis isn't afraid of a silly haunted house. In fact, he thinks it would make a nice base of operations for the party in the future. He moves inside the crumbling stone wall and heads to his left. After a little ways in he notices something right away. The area in the southwest corner of the ruined wall is mounded up a few feet with mattings of dried vegetation mixed with dirt. He sees no creatures present at the moment but.......something must have built that thing out here.

Actions!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Taking a moment to see where the others are investigating, Doubtful then moves to the right when inside the gate so as to cover the most ground. Looking carefully at the ground immediately around him and stopping occasionally to stare at longer distances, Doubtful is looking for first impressions to help guide the search.

Seeing Ermulf and Alec standing and staring at the house, he calls quietly to them (for some reason reluctant to raise his voice this near to the house) Let us know if you see anything interesting at the windows.

Occasionally muttering to himself, maybe the cat will have better luck.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”