Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

#1 Post by Marullus »

Chapter 1 – The Chaos of the Lakeside
(Color scene, all characters)

Darkness never fell last night, the ruddy glow of the fires of Dale illuminating the horizon to perpetual dusk. A cold rain falling lightly, constantly, but not enough to quench the hellfires that drove men and dwarf from the shelter of the mountain and city alike. Every person moves with what they can carry, the last memories and vestiges of what they once called life, called home.

Mud sucks at feet and sturdy boots, consuming any lesser footwear like gasping toothless mouths. The rain is a blessing, however, as it dampens everything against the dragon’s fire. The great beast roars in the sky, unable to be seen clearly in the night but seeming to be every shadow, every cloud, circling endlessly with a roar that sounds like ‘Throar.’ Having already decimated, already terrified, the giant beast seems to be toying with you all, snatching just one person at a time when it suits him. The crunch, the screaming, the silence that follows.

The last King of Dale was seen to fall, standing against the beast. The King under the Mountain is missing or hidden, none know if he yet lives, or who yet rules among dwarves or men. Groups begin to cluster by their own affiliations, trying to make plans, to overcome fear and find the one thing that eludes them – safety. An impromptu market and trade-space has sprung up around clusters of merchant wagons near the lakeside, all refugees trying to argue and fight for what they need to continue on, to escape, to find their way to new homes. Small groups huddle together and shuffle off in the pre-dawn gloom getting a head start on whatever plan they have settled upon. All try to find their best solution, but all know one thing for certain… to remain here enmasse provides small protection, but a certainty that you will be the next meal for the beast should you linger too long, or too alone.

Post IC first actions, interact with each other. Options below.
As we're all learning here, there are different actions you can take.
  • Freeform roleplay. Just play your character IC in the setting, developing him and interacting with other PCs, until there is a consequential action.
  • Roll Circles. Need to find a specific person or type of person to achieve your goal? You roll your Circles attribute for this. It is modified by Reputation dice and Affiliation dice as well as by other factors. Success means that you find the specified type of individual and he's favorably disposed to your request. Failure means one of those two conditions are not true.
  • Roll a Wise. Wises and knowledge skills generally let you define "what is true" - the roll must be consequential, i.e. that failing and having it not be true has a significant impact. Success lets you frame facts about the gameworld and/or specify favorable conditions to help you in a future test or conflict.
  • Roll a skill. Taking an action as your character, pretty self explanatory. A key rule for Burning Wheel, though, is "Let it Ride." You only roll once and that result stands for all tests you'd undertake until the conditions significantly change.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

Re: Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

#2 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar, The Coward

I awaken, startled, dazed, and surprised to be alive. Above me, apparently tending to the head wound that knocked me down, is an elf (paging Fantasychic)

"Wha... What happened? Did we slay the beast?"

I lift me head, to her protest, and look around me. Seeing the ruins and flames all around, I realize the situation: The keep has fallen.

I fight the elf off me and leap to my feet...

OOC: I should have some sort of head wound, from a rock knocked loose of the gates, what severity is up to Marullus. Also, if Fantasychic would like to resist my attempts to stand up, I propose a Vs. Power test.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by FantasyChic »

Íreth, the Elven Ranger

"Hush now, you are weak. Rest." Íreth says in a calming voice as she, easily, restrains the dwarf as he tries to rise up.

She remembers the battle with the beast. She remembers the screams, the roar, and the sight of the dragon. You never could get used to the sight of a dragon.

"The dragon is gone, for now. Take that as a victory. You need to rest and let me heal you. You took a bad hit to the head."
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Not assigning a wound penalty for game-start; that's too punishing. It is a few days from first-assault to now, and we'll assume that between time and Ilreth's magical healing, the injury that incapacitated Drumrin is able to be healed. You can still roleplay lingering effects as you wish.

Regarding the Power test, posting a link to the discussion about that so I don't lose it later. If Drumrin has a specific objective he seeks to achieve by getting up and running out, and which Ilreth will oppose, post it in spoiler tags and we'll adjudicate with a roll accordingly.

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

Glaiz sits near some rubble, her mind racing, but not upon her home's recent attack. "What does it matter," she thinks, "everything I have ever loved has left me, so do I not deserve my fate?" She pulls out the locket of the young boy's hair and examines it, twirling it around in her once soft, un-calloused hands. She sighs: she is used to being alone. Even though she spent most of her time with the riff-raff of Dale, tending wounds, cooking, and acting as a mother figure, the only true companionship she had was the burden of her past. She stands up, dusting off her tattered pants. She looks around at the glow of the dawn and listens to the clink clink clink of the makeshift market set up nearby. She takes a short inventory of her items: the boy's hair, her small dagger, and lastly, her bakeware: she smiles as she remembers a particularly delicious tart she made, years ago. "No use for these now, I suppose." Glaiz heads off to the marketplace, but stops when she sees a dwarven man lying on the ground, and what appeared to be an elf by his side. "That dwarf does not appear well," she whispers as she decides to approach the pair. She never was good at letting things just transpire; this dwarf needed medical help, and what better help than a mother?
OOC: I pretty much have no idea how the formatting should work, but, based off of what Spectreman17 and FantasyChic have done, blue is a character's speech/thoughts, and red is OOC? Let me know if there are any other formatting rules. :D
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Your attention, in fact, is drawn to them by the beautiful sound of the elf's voice. She sings over the fallen dwarf, the sounds of the music unintelligible to your ears but causing an aching longing in your heart. For a moment, you thought you saw a golden nimbus around her hands as she touched the injured dwarf's head. An... elf maiden? Here? It is strange to see an elf here, outside their woodlands at all, let alone among this mess of dwarven and mannish dispossessed. The pair are set aside a pace, not among other injured or wounded, but at the edge of the fuss and bustle attempting unsuccessfully to be inconspicuous as her song drew all eyes to her for a moment, causing a brief stillness before activity resumes.

As her song ends, the injured dwarf's eyes open. He is dressed as a guardsman with a swelling bump on his head but no signs of injury from fire or claw. Durgar looks up, the last strains of some haunting music fading from his waking ears as he sees the most achingly beautiful creature above him. She is fair and statuesque -- quite the opposite of a dwarf -- and drop-dead gorgeous to any race's eyes. She attempts to restrain you from sudden movement. You remember sheer terror, running, falling, but that was in your flight from the Gate. You do not know how you reached the lakeside, nor why you have this elf above you, set aside from the dwarves and other injured. Only Ilreth knows what motivated her to pick up the unconscious dwarf from below the great gates, carrying him from the Dragon's wrath to this place near but not among his fellows.
If you are in the full editor for your post, there are "ooc" and "dialog" buttons at the top which insert the appropriate tags. Yes, basically, they color dialog blue and ooc as red, but that's where the standard comes from. :)

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar, The Coward:

As the elf easily pushes me back down, I fell the throbbing in my head return. I look cautiously at the elven woman before me and ask her, "What happened to me? We were supposed to stop Smaug at the gates. Where is the remainder of the Guard? We must mount a counter attack, before Smaug settles in and becomes too hard to unseat."

I move more slowly and sit myself up. I observe the Chaos around me, seeing a significant lack of the usual City Guard that should be present helping in these situations. "I can't sit idly by anymore, I must take action. Elf, what is your name, I must thank you properly for saving my life."

At this point, I notice the Dwarven lady approaching, looked ragged and disheveled, I'm unsure with what level of respect to treat her, she could be a outcast, dirty from years of living in the wild, or just a normal Ereborian who has hard time in the fall. I decide to play it safe and use my standard City Guard routine on her, "It appears hard times have befallen all of us, who are you, mystery maiden, so that I may help you back to your family?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

Niping the blacksmith

A dwarf, stooped of shoulder and with crinkles cutting deep along his loose skin, sits by the lakeside on a grey stone. He muses about his little stone seat to no one in particular, while fumbling one of his smithing tongs in his hands. 'I suspect this stone has sat here quite content for many ages. Like a new tooth its tip broke the surface before memory, and the lakeside wind has swept its jagged edges into a comfortable stool. And so the ages pass.' He glances up at the Mountain in the distance, and finds himself unable to do more than heave a laboured sigh.

Near him folk go about their business, setting up one part of camp or taking down another, and trying not to look toward the Mountain. From his sitting place he can just hear the dying sounds of some haunted melody, and turns to watch a fair elf singing over another of the many wounded dwarves.

'A fair heaping of compassion their lot have shown,' he mutters of the elves, 'to hide in their caves till the air is fair, then send forth their minstrels to sing their condolences.'

He finds a stray stick to snap and toss into the lake, then gathers himself up to march back toward his wagon. 'I'll wager that indignant Lann is nowhere to be seen, as usual. I'll double wager he hasn't even bothered to gather up the tools I've managed to save into the wagon, as I've asked. A wastrel.'

His path takes him past the elf maiden and her soothing song. The wounded dwarf he does not know, but the other woman standing nearby as their audience he recognizes well enough, if only through reputation and through the grumblings of his useless apprentice Lann, her husband. His manner is tired and drained of compassion. 'Glaiz Goldenhook, as I live and breathe. I see you have lived to see the other side of turmoil. I seek your husband, who is never at his duties. Have you seen him?'

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by FantasyChic »

Íreth, the Elven Ranger

"My name is Íreth, and yes, Smaug was to be stopped. However, that task proved to be more than most could handle. You are among the remaining living, take heart in that."

She sees the approaching female dwarf and offers a warming smile before continuing "You may help after you rest a bit, you got hurt really bad and would have been more had you not been dragged away from the battle. We can worry about a counter attack later, for now, rest and heal. Order will be obtained soon."
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#10 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar, The Coward

"We have no time for rest, the longer we wait, the more time Smaug has to reinforce his hold on the keep..." Durgar lays back to the floor under he press. After a moment in thought, he shouts, "The Elves! Why have they not yet come to our aid? Your people, they are the answer we need to unseating the vile beast."

He comes back to his senses and think to himself,
This elf just saved my life, I at least owe her an apology. No, I owe her much more, She has saved my life, I will return that favor one day, if I may.
Then says to Íreth, "Thank you for saving me, it's relieving to see that we have a few allies left amongst the Elven hold of Mirkwood, but pray, tell me, where are your armies? I do not mean to say they owe us anything, but surely having a dragon lay it's nest so close to Mirkwood would be detrimental to your clan. Are you one of enough importance to bring the elves to our aid?"

Durgar won't swear a formal oath before a greybeard (See Coward) but he still swears an oath to himself to protect Íreth in exchange for saving his life. once.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

You are all awesome. I will let these interactions play out a bit more before adding in more. Looks like we need a post from Glaiz - towards the wounded Durgar or the question of Niping. Ilreth also has a question from Durgar. Fulci can join this scene or open his action nearby, perhaps traveling with Whitfield.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by FantasyChic »

Íreth, the Elven Ranger

At the dwarf's words, the elf gives a grim look. "There..are no elves other than myself here. They are back home, in the forest. As for allies, I am afraid my people would sooner run from the dragon's nest rather than towards."

She gives the dwarf man a smile "Take heart, the battle is over and we have come out victorious, more or less. You and many others live where large numbers could have perished. We can go after the dragon later, but your wounds and the wounds of many others need to heal before an army can march."

-Dr. Seuss

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by lupinelegend »

Whitfield Newell, Human Scout

"We're here. You're safe now," Whitfield says to the group in a meek voice. A smattering of humans and dwarves, faces ashen, emerge from the brush behind him and enter the clearing. Many are crying, more are visibly shaken, and some only stare into the distance; walking forth as if guided by unseen strings. A shrill series of whistles and chirps summons a falcon to Whit's arm. Leaning over as if to listen closely to the raptor, he says to the group huddled around him: "Head towards the fires up ahead. Warm yourselves and find something to eat." Whit sounds slightly more confident when giving good news. Waiting until the small crowd disperses, he walks off to find a fire himself and cinches his cloak tight against the rain.

Whit passes two dwarves, one of whom he vaguely remembers as a blacksmith from Dale. He doesn't catch any of the conversation, but the smith sounds annoyed. Whit gives them a wide berth. The first fire he comes to sputters and licks the air near yet another dwarf, laying on the ground. Whit begins to turn away in search of another fire when he sees her. An elf. *I've never seen an elf,* Whit thinks before awkwardly sitting near the fire. He whispers to the falcon; urging the bird skyward and into the shelter of a nearby tree. Whit pulls a small bundle from his pack and unwraps it gently. He sets a rabbit over the fire and sits quietly warming his hands while occasionally stealing furtive glances at the elf maiden.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Fulci »

Favrick, the Half-a-Dwarf

Many years ago, when Favrick left his home, it was a place gilded with gold. Now only the Serpent's flames shimmer over the Mountain. Favrick knew, that his return won't be a glorious one. He strides through the mud and silt, avoiding fallen trees and rubble. His clothes are torn, his cracked shoes are held together by strings. But there is one thing that puts him apart from the survivors: his face and beard isn't covered in burn-marks and smoke.

He spent the night away from the survivors' camp, lacking the courage and resolve to come closer to his kin. As he walks towards them now, he's afraid: how will they "welcome" him?

He mustn't forget, that he has a mission here... But first, he must help the survivors. First, with their dire needs. And after that - by leading them back to the path of the First Dwarves.

He sees that both dwarves and humans are inhabiting the make-shift camp. There's even an elf maiden. He doesn't see any familiar faces so far, which, weirdly, strikes him as a relief: the shame of his disgraceful return is postponed. On the other hand, Favrick wonders: is the only person whom he missed during all his long travels safe? Slowly traversing the camp, he is looking for Hagatha, the Ageless Matron of the Lonely Mountain... Favrick reckons she will be where she always is: next to her children.
I guess a Circle roll is in order?
Circles B2: [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar, The Coward

I take in the elf's words for a brief moment, resigning myself to the fact that the keep has fallen. Well, at least one elf has shown herself to be as brave and noble as they claim to be. I suddenly notice the human lurking on the far side of the fire, You gonna offer to share that rabbit, or are you just gonna stare?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Everyone: Please go to the dice roller (link in the upper-right corner) and make a character for game 347. You need it to attach rolls to the campaign.
Fulci wrote:Slowly traversing the camp, he is looking for Hagatha, the Ageless Matron of the Lonely Mountain... Favrick reckons she will be where she always is: next to her children.
I guess a Circle roll is in order?
Circles B2: [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1
In this case, I'll treat it as a "Say Yes" moment and move forward.

In general, don't roll the dice up front. Check the How a Test Works bit on that post. You need an objective and a means. I give you the obstacle and we agree on the consequence of failure. In this case, It is "find my contact" which doesn't have a big objective or consequence, so I'm moving it on as a simple success. It also means you don't record that roll, though.

The smell of the rabbit is enticing, its juices sizzling as they drip into the warm coals below as Whitfield crouches comfortably beside it. The falcon perches nearby him, letting out a shrill cry, plaintive, as it watches the sizzling rabbit. Durgar and Ireth rest on the other side of the campfire on a makeshift pallet. Niping intercepts Glaiz as she approaches, just a few steps away. The rays of the morning sun begin to brighten the overcast skies from above where before they just reflected back the ruddy light of the flames below, the city of Men still burning, everpresent on the horizon.

Favrick passes them, seeking Hagatha the ageless matron. The elf catches his eye but he looks onward, spying the tell-tale sign across the marketplace beyond where Niping was sitting - a gaggle of cowed children which can only portend the presence of the ancient nanny.

A quarrel breaks out in the marketplace, however, several men raising their voices angrily while confronting a trio of cross-armed dwarves standing before their heavily-laden wagons.

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

#17 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

Glaiz is stunned to see a familiar face; her many days of languish and self-loathing had convinced her that she would never see another soul, let alone one she at least somewhat knew.

"Why, Niping, it cannot be..." she says, wiping the grime from around her eyes. "Lann...he..." she mutters, as she struggles to find her words. "I know not if he made it; I can only hope he is alive. I seek him myself." She darts her eyes away from the dwarf, trying to find something at which she can stare to take away the pain of the memories.

Suddenly, she is overcome with the smell of the rabbit cooking. She glances over to the source, only to lay eyes upon the scraggly lot of folk surrounding it. A human, plain as they all are; a dwarf who had most definitely seen better days; a towering elf, who somehow appeared tranquil through all of this - "She is not one to trust", Glaiz thinks; another dwarf who seems as if he holds a secret; and, lastly, Niping, the one dwarf she knew and the last she expected to see again. She suddenly feels a small pinch of hope: "if Niping is looking for Lann, perhaps we can find him together. It doesn't matter how it happens as long as it does. I will find him - alive." She reaches for the lock of hair, feeling its wispy strands in her leathery hands.

"Now, that is no way to cook a rabbit. You're wastin' all the juice. Let me show you how it's done," she says as she approaches the ragtag group, who suddenly look away at the hubbub nearby. Glaiz sees the three dwarves, angry in countenance, standing in the makeshift marketplace. "Trouble already," she thinks. Realizing she can't sell her old pans with this commotion, as was her plan before she saw the beat-up dwarf on the ground, she puts on her most saccharine, motherly face and approaches the angry men, hoping her matronly charm can diffuse the situation. "If anything, perhaps I'll charm my way into a better knife. If I have to fight my way to Lann, then so be it."
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

Niping the blacksmith

Niping's stomach grumbles as it catches the odour of rabbit. He smacks his lips, realizing only now how long it has been since he last had a meal. Looking across the grounds toward his work, he shrugs at its disarray and seats himself at the roast. 'There is far too much to be done to waste time eating; what would I do if the dragon came beating by while my waggon is in such disarray? Still, "though toil is near, yet the stomach is dear." An empty stomach produces poor work, and poor work produces waste, which I'm sure you know well, Glaiz. We'd best eat before we go hunting for that languorous Lann of yours. Until then he can deal with my waggon if ever he shows himself.'

The dwarf watches impatiently as everyone debates over the game roast, looking over the size of the rabbit and trying to judge whether there will actually be enough to go around.

Character created! Sorry in advance for the shorter posts over the next couple of weeks, I'm travelling.

lupinelegend
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by lupinelegend »

I'm going to be using "quotes" for spoken dialogue and *asterisks* for internal dialogue.
Whit looks around the fire at all the dwarves hungrily eyeing his dinner before softly asking, "When did my rabbit become our rabbit? Have we met?" Regarding the small group expectantly, Whit's attention is drawn to the din growing in the marketplace.

His hand moves unconsciously to the pommel of his shortsword and his eyes flit across the camp nervously. With a whistle, he sends Gryff arcing overhead in the direction of the scuffle. Whit's body tenses - ready to bolt at the slightest indication of danger. He hesitates as a wolf would if caught between a fresh kill and some larger predator.

Turning a fraction of his attention back to the dwarves, he asks, "What do you suppose is going on over there?"

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar, The Coward

"Well, guess we can't expect more from a human..." I ramble off as I use Íreth's temporary distraction to climb to my feet. "Clearly the hospitality of the dwarves is one sided, but you're still welcome to share our fire."

I then turn and size up the armored dwarf. I can clearly tell he is not wearing dwarven made armor of the guard or army of Erebor. Mine since lost, I realize that I won't be able to stop whatever scuffle is happening at the market area with looks alone. "Hey warrior, lend me some muscle would you, let's see what's happening over there. I am a member of the guard, but I've lost my insignia, so we'll have to show a bit of steel to quell whatever trouble is brewing."

I turn without waiting for him to follow and head towards the commotion using a large branch I found as a walking stick on my still not perfectly stable feet. as I approach the crowd gathered around whatever the commotion is I shout "Make way for the Guard!"
Conspicuous B3 to quiet the crowd and push my way through? (Do I FoRK in things like Affiliations, or just skills like Intimidate?)

Return to “2015 Archive”