dw1.PNG
dw1.PNG (43.26 KiB) Viewed 821 times
dw2.PNG
dw2.PNG (98.46 KiB) Viewed 821 times
dw3.PNG
dw3.PNG (25.09 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Marullus wrote:Fulci
Marullus wrote:
Enoch wrote:Now I'm thinking I might have to make a Greedy dwarf.
Especially if it is your PC's acceptance that Favrick is seeking. :)
During his journeys he found a hold, where a small group of reclusive dwarves live, who claim to follow the path of the First Dwarves. According to their believes (which are now shared by Farvick), the current generations is doomed, unless they give up their greed-tainted way of life. Durin is not reincarnating any more - because his "latest" incarnation is not dead. But he is in deep slumber in some unknown place under the Misty Mountains (not Mount Gundabad anymore, as that place was overtaken by the Orcish hordes).
Great flavor! Lets name your group.
The dwarves you found claim to be in the halls of Tumunzahar, known as Nogrod in the Sindarin tongue. We'll call them "The Penitents of Tumunzahar." There is some neat Tolkien flavor here, which I'll post on the other thread.

It can feed both beliefs and Relationships. I see here an Affiliation with The Penitents, potential relationship with someone there, a potential relationship with the person you need to convince from the Lonely Mountain, a role for you in shaping dwarven history. Does he have beliefs about the relations with the Elves, given the First Dwarves fall to greed? Does he already know elves (and thus buys an affiliation or relationship)? Does he have a belief about taking the dwarves to the Blue Mountains? On repopulating the ancient dwarfhomes? On finding the still-slumbering Durin? On recovering ancient lore from the depths of one of the dwarfhomes? Perhaps you are the reason the royal family ends up in the Blue Mountains? Perhaps you are the reason Thror tries to enter Moria? The long-term consequences of your evangelistic actions, falling on the fertile ground of homeless despair, could be manifold.
Lets flesh out your beliefs, then drive your final sheet forward.

Is Enoch's Chronicler the person you are seeking approval from in Erebor to get back into the fold?

Do you have a pre-existing relationship with the Elf? How do you feel about elves, given your obsession with the First Age history (where they came to war due to dwarven greed)?

You and Dogma were both Noble-Born Ardents and the time overlapped. He went on to fulfill his path as an Axe Bearer in the Royal Guard (while you continued to apprentice... he's 15 years older) and you quit and went adventuring. What relationship do you two have to each other? Are you a pair of brothers? Friends? Rivals?
...to be continued...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Burning Favrick

#2 Post by Marullus »

Happy Monday! *bump* How do things look for you?

If we can wrap up characters this week, then we can move to the first Chapter next week. :)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Fulci »

I think a connection with Enoch's Chronicler is important for Farvick.
So maybe I'll add as my third belief something like:
3. <Enoch's character> holds knowledge of our race's past. I must get him to sympathize with the cause of the Penitents.

The Traits list is, of course, OVERWHELMING. I have 4 trait points left after my obligatory lifepath traits, so here are a few I see fitting:
  • Alert (2p)
    Booming Voice [Call on] (2p)
    Cryptic (1p)
    Dreamer [Dt.] (3p)
    Driven [Call on] (2p)
    Esoteric (1p)
    Frustrated (1p)
    Iron Will [Dt.] (3p)
    A Little Crazy... (1p)
    Lunatic (1p)
    Obsessed (1p)
    Odd (1p)
    Tough [Dt.] (2p)
I bolded two I'd like to take.
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

I really like Booming Voice. It shows an aptitude that recommended him for leadership as an Ardent, before he went astray. It is a call-on for Conspicuous and Oratory - both skills that are important to your character and neither of which you have to start.

Tough doesn't actually help him, currently. It lets him round-up on his mortal wound, but with Power B4/Forte B4, there is no rounding.

Driven seems to be a good fit, and is two points so you can have both it and Booming Voice if you like. It makes sense to be Driven by your Belief/Goal to lead the dwarves to the First Dwarf home and ways - you then pick which skill is your primary mechanism (Oratory, Command, Persuasion are good picks). Driven also works well as a negative.

Skill-wise, he is at a good point of transition. He's well-skilled on surviving alone on adventures. He's spent time learning the ways of the First Dwarves and the ancient art of runes - solitary and esoteric studies. He is returning to lead his people but never developed the ability to lead... he'll be using Beginner's Luck for all his initial convincing. That's pretty fun. :)

He's kind of like Moses. (Born a prince, raised an ardent, went outcast, returning as a prophet.) Moses is said to have had a stuttering problem that he overcame. Perhaps a character trait like that would add some flavor and color?
3. <Enoch's character> holds knowledge of our race's past. I must get him to sympathize with the cause of the Penitents.
That's fantastic. :)

Does he have a different belief, then, about finding Dwarfy acceptance from someone (or some group) he felt rejected by? That seemed to be an important theme.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Fulci wrote:I think a connection with Enoch's Chronicler is important for Farvick.
So maybe I'll add as my third belief something like:
In addition to a relationship with Enoch's chronicler, I'd also like you to have a past-relationship with Dogma's warrior (who served as an Ardent with you, though a little ahead of you).

Remember that you need a fourth belief which is an Oath. You need to have sworn the Oath to a PC (Enoch or Dogma are good choices, per above) or to a named NPC you bought with relationship points.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Fulci »

Does he have a different belief, then, about finding Dwarfy acceptance from someone (or some group) he felt rejected by? That seemed to be an important theme.
It still is!
I think it can be a stand-alone belief, like I planned it:
I must be accepted by the dwarves of Lonely Mountain again.

It overlaps with the "Enoch belief", but it's a more long-term thing.

In addition to a relationship with Enoch's chronicler, I'd also like you to have a past-relationship with Dogma's warrior (who served as an Ardent with you, though a little ahead of you).

Remember that you need a fourth belief which is an Oath. You need to have sworn the Oath to a PC (Enoch or Dogma are good choices, per above) or to a named NPC you bought with relationship points.

I think it would be interesting to have an Oath to Dogma (I'll refer to his character as Dogma as well), "from the old times". Dogma is an Oathbreaker, but that, as far as I understand, doesn't "nullify" Farvick's Oath to him.

Maybe Dogma saved Farvick's life at some point, and Favrick swore an oath to protect him in return. This seems a bit too generic, though :(
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

We have a plethora of "I will save their life" beliefs right now... while suitable, the game will be as amusing to watch as it unfolds as WWI. :lol: What I'm gathering as a GM is that this group wants LOTS of opportunity to die... :twisted: What I don't have is what or who you want to fight in order to have that chance to die. I'm looking for that as we flesh out everyone's beliefs.

I've messaged Dogma to ask him to look at this thread - I'm sure there is good grist material to work with. You might hold the secret to his Oathbreaking, or some other dark truth from your mutual youthful days. Perhaps you did/saw something and swore you'd never speak of it? That would add some new direction.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Fulci »

Marullus wrote:I've messaged Dogma to ask him to look at this thread - I'm sure there is good grist material to work with. You might hold the secret to his Oathbreaking, or some other dark truth from your mutual youthful days. Perhaps you did/saw something and swore you'd never speak of it? That would add some new direction.
I like this idea!
G A M E S :

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Fulci »

Resource points!
I have 41 rps. Seems a lot for an outcast!

Affiliation - The Penitents (10 rps) - 1D

Gear:
As an Outcast, Favrick has no Dwarven-made armor or weapons.
Clothes 1
Travelling gear 1
Mount 8 (a mule named Gabby)
Sturdy Shoes 1
Shoddy crossbow 6
Shoddy arms 5
TOTAL: 22 rps

9 rps left.

I want to buy a relation to an NPC who is sympathetic to Favrick - despite the fact that he is an outcast.
An older dwarf, with some power in the community, who for some personal reason regards Favrick ultimately as a good person.
It can be significant character (10 rps), but a forbidden relationship (-1 rp) = 9 rps.

For example, Krumhilde, nurse of the noble-born, a wise old dwarf lady. A "matriarch" tpye.

Greed
+1 for Will 4
+1 for witnessing an outsider with a work Dwarven art (a bandit with a piece of Dwarven jewelry)
TOTAL GREED: 2

Greed idiom: power seems fitting!
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Good stuff! Quick reply -

Check over greed, and also look at the house rules. It will be a good bit higher, so you might want to take -5 and make it gray-shade, depending how you want to play it.

His greed idiom is 3 of the 4 items.

The old nurse is a 5-point relationship. For 10 points, you get someone bigger (but not named by Tolkien, so King Their is still out). You could have the Treasurer, Master of Arches, King's Chamberlain, etc. This also fits in your concept - he was a noble ardent, being trained for leadership. It is cool to have someone who still believes in him and his fate.

You also need to have your Oath belief made to a relationship, and if he is your only one make sure you incorporate that. What Oath did you swear to this important Noble before you left which still hangs over you when you return?

Last step, then - beliefs and Instincts. :)

Edit to Add:
Sorry, got lost on the previous stuff. If you want an Oath to Dogma's character, that's fine too. (Or, you can have more oaths - they just take the place of other beliefs.) Please sum everything into your final sheet and post it so I can be unconfused. :)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Fulci »

Marullus wrote:The old nurse is a 5-point relationship. For 10 points, you get someone bigger (but not named by Tolkien, so King Their is still out). You could have the Treasurer, Master of Arches, King's Chamberlain, etc. This also fits in your concept - he was a noble ardent, being trained for leadership. It is cool to have someone who still believes in him and his fate.
I just like the idea of an old lady (who probably nursed basically every second dwarven noble in the last few centuries) having real influence and connections, worthy of 10 points. Never argue with somebody who knows the King Under the Mountain wet his bed well into his mid-70s :lol: :shock:

This would also bring a nice touch of anarchy into the strict dwarf hierarchy.

But I can go with some other option as well.

I will finalize the belief & the sheet, and add my instincts tomorrow.
G A M E S :

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Fulci »

(WIP sheet)

Name: Favrick the Half-a-Dwarf

Concept/Bio: A sole surviving Warrior from the battle at the gates

Lifepaths: Born Noble > Noble Ardent > (Outcast) Adventurer > Rune Caster

Stats: Wi: B4, Pe: B6, Po: B4, Fo: B4, Ag: B6, Sp: B3, Stride: 6

Attributes: Ref: B5, Ste: B4, Hes: 6, Hea: B5, MW: B10, Greed: G2, Circles: B0, Resources: B0

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B5 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:
  • Smaug is the hand of fate, a punishment for abandoning the way of the First Dwarves. I will lead the dwarves back to the old ways, as the

Penitents of Tumunzahar teach it.
  • I must be accepted by the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain again.
  • <Enoch's character> holds knowledge of our race's past. I must get him to sympathize with the cause of the Penitents.

Instincts:
  • I always save some resources for later.
  • If something weird happens, I interpret it as an oracle.
  • If someone mentions "fate", "freedom of will" or anything along these lines, I get angry and defensive.

Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Dt] Adventurer, [Char] Bearded, [Dt] Greed, [Char] Slave to Fate, [Char] Humility in the face of your betters, [Dt]

Oathsworn, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough, [C-o] Booming Voice, [C-o] Driven

Skills: Brawling B1, Climbing B2, Crossbow B3, Rune Script B1, Firebuilding B1, Foraging B1, Knives B1, Lockpick B2, Obscure History B1, Rune Casting B2,

Scavenging B2, Survival B3, Symbology B2

Affiliations: 1D Penitents

Reputations:

Relationships:

Gear:
Clothes 1
Travelling gear 1
Mount 8 (a mule named Gabby)
Sturdy Shoes 1
Shoddy crossbow 6
Shoddy arms 5

Property:

Spells:

Weapons:

Code: Select all

Weapon  Power     WS     Add    VA
Crossbow
Greed Idiom: Power
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

I'm fine with the old nurse, and would give her for 5 points. :) Great concept. I will name her Hagatha. If you want her to be the power-behind-the-throne, we can do 10 points if that's what you'd like.

I need beliefs soonest.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Fulci »

Yes, I want her to be power-behind-the-throne.

Okay, last belief (that is, the Oath).

1. Oath to Dogma. Favrick knows the true reason behind Dogma's oath-breaking, but gave an oath to keep it a secret.
As far as I understand, Dogma's Oath was about protecting his brother, which he failed at. Favrick might know about some extra circumstances: e.g. Dogma's brother was a potential betrayer?..

Alternatively:
2. Oath to Hagatha?
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

I like you, Enoch, and Dogma all being impacted by the same scandal and cover up, but am worried that we haven't had a post from Dogma. I don't want you hampered if he doesn't return. It is your choice between that and Hagatha.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Fulci »

Okay, I will swear an Oath to Hagatha! If Dogma reappears, we can still interweave our characters later on in the game (in a different way). Their acquaintance is dictated by their age and social background, after all.

Here's a short write-up of Hagatha:

Hagatha, Ageless Matron of the Lonely Mountain

As I envision this, there were basically two pillars of power at Lonely Mountain. The first one: the strict visible hierarchy of Kings, Elders, Nobles, etc., governed by ancient tradition. And a second one, based on (if possible) an even older tradition: that of the family and the household. Hagatha doesn't have her own children, yet almost every Noble-born dwarf of the Lonely Mountain under the age of 300 (?) or so considers her as a second mother. Hagatha was one of the guardians of the family hearth, she helped with the upbringing of many Dwarves. Being close to the noblest families, she can and does exercise a certain power. Sitting in her chamber, she weaves long garments, but also she weaves intrigue.

Favrick's Oath to Hagatha stems from old times, when he wanted to attain a place and standing in the Dwarven society. Before he was exiled. Hagatha was moving certain young Dwarves towards better positions, and Favrick wanted "in" on this game of power. She swore an Oath to aid Hagatha in her schemes - the exact nature of which remained secret to him. He did accomplish certain things for her. But some years later he changed: he grew tired of proving himself to the Elders and other Nobles, he turned towards decadence and nihilism, and was exiled.

How about this? I'm open to all proposals!
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Great! Make the belief within these guidelines:
  • Unlike beliefs, Oaths are publicly sworn and thus known. Make a specific promise to her that isn't secret.
  • It must at least appear virtuous - it can't be objectionable to the Graybeard elders who witness the swearing of oaths.
  • It should still be relevant upon your return.
Question: Do you desire to have been exiled? The Adventurer lifepath and trait include a mild shunning for being unconventional and turning from your proscribed path. Having been forced to leave in exile is more serious - they told you to go, as opposed to you abandoning convention and leaving.

If you desire to be exiled, it can be so, but is not assumed. I would recommend you back it up with an "Exiled" character trait (if a permanent status) or a belief/relationship if it is resolveable.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Fulci »

In that case, I probably don't want to be exiled. Favrick wandered off one day, basically. Became an adventurer. Of course, his deed was received by the dwarves rather negatively - a final sign of his decadence, but Favrick wasn't officially exiled.

Hm, an Oath...
Oath: I will be like a son to Hagatha

This isn't very specific though. I have to think some more.
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Fulci wrote:Hm, an Oath...
Oath: I will be like a son to Hagatha

This isn't very specific though. I have to think some more.
An open-ended, binding oath in front of the Graybeards like that is pretty heavy. I would consider it the dwarven version of formal adoption. As it is worded, you have sworn to act as a legitimate son would, forever. Returning as you are now, it is likely that you are responsible for her in her dotage as she escapes the mountain (in the absence of other sons) and you are metaphorically tied to her apron strings. Does that work?

Fulci wrote: Instincts:
  • I always save some resources for later.
That is already built-in to having high greed and low resources. Also saying "resources" is too vague. If you pick a particular thing, he can never be without it - rope, a knife, snack-nuts, whatever.
Fulci wrote:Traits: [Dt] Accustomed to the Dark, [Dt] Adventurer, [Char] Bearded, [Dt] Greed, [Char] Slave to Fate, [Char] Humility in the face of your betters, [Dt] Oathsworn, [Dt] Shaped from Earth and Stone, [Dt] Stout, [Dt] Tough, [C-o] Booming Voice, [C-o] Driven
Driven - I assume it is tied to this belief:
"Smaug is the hand of fate, a punishment for abandoning the way of the First Dwarves. I will lead the dwarves back to the old ways, as the Penitents of Tumunzahar teach it."

Before play, you must pick which skill you belief to be the key to this belief/goal. That specific skill gets a Call-On from this trait, so we should note it on your sheet.

Also remember that Booming Voice gives you a call-on for Oratory, Conspicuous, or Command once per chapter.
Fulci wrote:Skills: Brawling B1, Climbing B2, Crossbow B3, Rune Script B1, Firebuilding B1, Foraging B1, Knives B1, Lockpick B2, Obscure History B1, Rune Casting B2, Scavenging B2, Survival B3, Symbology B2
These are opening values? Your earlier sheet had them much higher. Make sure you check/fix.
Fulci wrote:Shoddy arms 5

Weapons:

Weapon  Power     WS     Add    VA
Crossbow
List all weapons that he has for personal use (he can have multiple). Pick them off the Run of the Mill Arms list (p. 554 in the BWG book).
Fulci wrote:Greed Idiom: Power
You are succeptible to three of the four idioms. Pick which one you don't subcumb to and list the other three.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Fulci »

Oath:
Ouch. That would be a bit too much.

Got any ideas for me? I'm a bit stuck, Oath-wise... (I need to roll Oath-wise :lol: )

Instincts:
"Always carry a concealed knife" - an oldie but goodie...

Beliefs:
Call-on for Driven - Survival

Skills:
My bad, I wrote out the amount of points I spent on my skills, not the final scores...

- Brawling B3, Climbing B2, Crossbow B5, Rune Script B3, Firebuilding B3, Foraging B4, Knives B3, Lockpick B4, Obscure History B3, Rune Casting B2, Scavenging B4, Sing B2, Survival B4, Symbology B4
- First Dwarves-wise B5

Greed:
I'm not susceptible to "Riches".

Weapons:
As far as I remember, "shoddy" means it's simply not Dwarf-made, i.e. it's "run of the mill".

Melee   Power     Add     WS    VA
Dirk       1       1      x  
Knife      0       1      x     (the hidden knife)

Crossbow Range: Optimal 1D, Extreme 3D, Max. 125 paces
DoF: 1-3    3-4    5-6
    I: B4  M: B8   S: B11    VA 2
Actions: Fire Crossbow: 2
G A M E S :