Book Two - The Psychogeography of Terror

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Book Two - The Psychogeography of Terror

#241 Post by Grognardsw »

"Yes I'll call him up," answers the desk sergeant.

After a few minutes Detective Tom Malone appears. He is a large and dapper young man in a green bow tie, pressed white shirt and grey suit. He shakes each of the investigator's hands. His grip is strong, not surprising given his 6'4" frame.

"How can I help you now gentlemen?" he asks pleasantly.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#242 Post by makken123Tabs »

I'm happy to investigate Red Hook, in fact I look forward to it, but what about the others? Should they be contacted first and told what Eddie is up to? Right or wrong, I haven't a clue what is happening elsewhere, and I don't wish to tread on any toes, so to speak.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#243 Post by Fulci »

makken123Tabs wrote:
I'm happy to investigate Red Hook, in fact I look forward to it, but what about the others? Should they be contacted first and told what Eddie is up to? Right or wrong, I haven't a clue what is happening elsewhere, and I don't wish to tread on any toes, so to speak.
Let's start with us gaining in-character knowledge!
Isaiah Bartlett, wise old man

"Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Detective. We came to join our fellow investigators from Providence. Can you provide us some updates on their progress and whereabouts?"
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#244 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter

"Yes," chimes in Eddie, "because we have some new leads, detective, and wondered what our colleagues thought about them--I mean, it may change the location of their investigations."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Grognardsw »

"Well welcome to Red Hook sirs," exclaims Det. Malone.

"I met your fellow investigators earlier today upon their arrival and gave them a tour of locales related to Konstantin Chertovski. Then they went off to explore leads on their own, in two groups. Miskatonic professors to the Historical Society, library and newspaper; and Reginald and Marius to the former church-turned-meeting-hall. They've probably been at it for an hour-and-a-half."

The detective points out on a map the spots they walked by (you may read The Undertows of Disbelief thread to gain this knowledge.)

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#246 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter

"Thank you, detective." He asks Isaiah: "Shall we strike out on our own or join-up with our colleagues?" and adds to Detective Malone, "That is, as long as you do not mind us snooping around?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Grognardsw »

"Certainly not sirs," replies Det. Malone. "I know you investigators are working with the BOI, so you have free rein. Let me know if I can help."

Isaiah Bartlett the wise old man considers the situation.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#248 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, wise old man

"I say we go and join our colleagues at that church-turned-meeting-hall," Isaiah says, thinking to himself - what was wrong with just the church? Isn't the church a meeting hall in itself?...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Grognardsw »

Isaiah Bartlett and Eddie Sharp make their way to the former church. Along the way they run into Dr. Clarke and Dr. Morgan.
You can join the Undertows of Disbelief thread now...
viewtopic.php?p=223952#p223952

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Grognardsw »

Earlier and elsewhere...

"We must take action against this evil, for the signs are nigh," said the Pope.

Sept. 12, 1925
New Orleans, Louisiana
Father Claude Hugo Vaughan, exorcist

As darkness fell the man of God prayed. 

"Our Father
who are in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earh as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil. 

God, by your name save me, 
and by your might defend my cause.
God, hear my prayer; 
hearken to the words of my mouth. 

For haughty men have risen up against me, 
and fierce men seek my life; 
they set not God before their eyes.

Turn back the evil upon my foes;
in your faithfulness destroy them. 
Freely will I offer you sacrifice;
I will praise your name, Lord, for its goodness, 

Because from all distress you have rescued me,
and my eyes look down upon my enemies.
Glory be to the Father."

Father Vaughan entered the house wherein was said to be a man possessed by the devil, who spoke the language of Hell, and had sinned most foul. The priest enacted the sacred rites.

"Holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who once and for all consigned that fallen and apostate tyrant to the flames of hell, who sent your only-begotten Son into the world to crush that roaring lion; hasten to our call for help and snatch from ruination and from the clutches of the noonday devil this human being made in your image and likeness. Strike terror, Lord, into the beast now laying waste your vineyard. Fill your servants with courage to fight manfully against that reprobate dragon, lest he despise those who put their trust in you, and say with Pharaoh of old: "I know not God, nor will I set Israel free." Let your mighty hand cast him out of your servant, so he may no longer hold captive this person whom it pleased you to make in your image, and to redeem through your Son; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, forever and ever.

I command you, unclean spirit, whoever you are, along with all your minions now attacking this servant of God, by the mysteries of the incarnation, passion, resurrection, and ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ, by the descent of the Holy Spirit, by the coming of our Lord for judgment, that you tell me by some sign your name, and the day and hour of your departure. I command you, moreover, to obey me to the letter, I who am a minister of God despite my unworthiness; nor shall you be emboldened to harm in any way this creature of God, or the bystanders."

And it did tell Father Vaughan its terrible name.

Several days later Father Vaughan boarded a train for Boston. He looked at the telegram again from Rome: "Meet with Cardinal O'Connell sub-rosa."

Below is from character notes of Chris107, a player-who-was-not-to-be, who posted these in the Recruitment Thread but never followed through.

Father Claude Hugo Vaughan
Born: Arlesford, Hampshire 1895. f: The Right Honourable Lord Justice Hugo Vaughan. m: Lady Emilia Vaughan (Nee Dickson-Smith)
Education: Perin's School, Hampshire. Wichester College. Peterhouse Cambridge 1913-14 (Law) and 1919-22 (B.Th.)
Military Service: Commissioned Royal Hampshire Regiment 1914. 2nd Battle of Ypres MC, Promoted to Captain after Passchendale 1917, Wounded and honourable discharge after the the first Battle of Arras.
Professional Service: Serving the Sacred Order of St. Ignatius of Loyola. A Jesuit institution rumored to be involved in the more esoteric practices of the church including exorcism. Based in the Vatican but currently in the United States of America.

Claude Hugo (CH) Vaughan is the second son of high court judge Lord Justice Hugo Vaughan. After Winchester he went up to Peterhouse Cambridge to read for the Bar, however, the out brake of war saw him commissioned into the Royal Hampshire Regiment serving with the 4th Battalion through some of the worst battles fought on the Western Front and finally loosing an arm at the first Battle of Arras. 
The horror of the war changed young Claude who converted to Catholicism and in 1919 recovered from his physical wounds he returned to college to read Divinity.
Upon graduation he went to study at the Vatican where he now travels at the command of a strict Jesuit order.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#251 Post by makken123Tabs »

Do I take it that you've been twiddling your thumbs and felt creative? Is Father Vaughan's speech to the devil cribbed from elsewhere?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Grognardsw »

makken123Tabs wrote:Do I take it that you've been twiddling your thumbs and felt creative? Is Father Vaughan's speech to the devil cribbed from elsewhere?
:D Father Vaughan is most likely going to be another player, but if not than a NPC. The prayers are all real Catholic prayers.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by ybn1197 »

August 15, 1925
Train en-route from New Orleans, Louisiana to Boston, Massachusetts
Father Claude Hugo Vaughan, exorcist

Claude removed the telegraph from his inner coat pocket and scanned it again. Despite his hopes, the telegraph was brief to the point of having no details and so would not reveal the nature of his meeting. Claude returned the telegraph to his inner coat pocket and sighed. The train ride was long and simple, allowing Claude to get some much needed sleep. It seemed as though he hadn't slept in years though he knew it was only his fatigue talking. The train had completed its current route so Claude stood up from his seat, grabbed his satchel that contained all he needed, and debarked from the train; walking straight into the hustle and bustle of South Station Boston. Claude made his way to one of the walls depicting Boston and it's major attraction. The Cathedral of the Holy Cross was less than a mile and a half from the station. A short walk of 30 minutes would put him there. Slipping his satchel over his shoulder, Claude adjusted his hat, straightened his jacket, put his hands in his pockets and set off for the cathedral.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Grognardsw »

In a private meeting that is not on the Cardinal's O'Connell's calendar...

"Welcome to Boston, Father Vaughan. I have heard good things of you from Rome. We have need of your services here to investigate what could be a cult."

The Cardinal explains the shocking murders involving decapitation of head and hands that have occurred across the country. "Our network has reach into the law. The Boston Police Commisioner will let you speak with a homeless man who has been involved."

Father Vaughan knows the Church does not publicly discuss this side of its mission, but it has for centuries tried to root out evil, whether it be individual possessions or harmful cults. Secret Vatican records from past centuries have both hinted at and explicitly mentioned abominations of soul and body.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by ybn1197 »

Father Vaughan

"Your Eminence, you flatter me. I am but a humble soul doing the good lord's work. I will stop at nothing to root this blight out of this good city. I take it the police have this poor soil in custody?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Grognardsw »

"Yes, you may check in with the Charles Street jail to talk with the man."

(The date is Sept. 15, not August. I edited my post.)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by ybn1197 »

"Unless your eminence has anything else you would wish this humble soul to do, I will make haste to the penitentiary and see to this man."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Grognardsw »

"Gods speed son," replies the Cardinal.

Father Vaughan procures a hotel room at the Tremont House hotel.

A little later the priest sits in a visitation room at the Charles Street jail. The wino is brought out. From the files, the homeless man was apprehended stealing food from a sidewalk cafe. He had four human heads in bag.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by ybn1197 »

Father Vaughn looks the man up and down as the officers bring him over for the visitation. Vaughn takes note of the man's demeanor, how he holds his hands, and how he holds his head. When the man is seated, Vaughn makes the sign of the cross and prays, "Heavenly Father, we come to you today asking for your guidance, wisdom, and support as we begin this meeting. Help us to engage in meaningful discussion; allow us to grow closer as a people and nurture the bonds of community. Fill us with your grace, Lord God, and continue to remind us that all that we do here today, all that we accomplish, is for the pursuit of truth for the greater glory of You, and for the service of humanity. We ask these things in your name, Amen. What is your name my son?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Grognardsw »

"Hmph, god, lot of good he done me," mutters the old man. "My name is Andrew, Father. I get confused a lot."

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”