Chapter 06: In the thick of it

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 06: In the thick of it

#1 Post by Nordbo »

See PM for individual views of this first scene - but you can reply here if you want to, as the four characters aren't very far apart.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 06: In the thick of it

#2 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold Ernessaeia [Sylvanian Elf Cleric: Scale Mail AC 6 : 4 / 4 HP]:

Norbold tries to stand up & rub out any pain, well saying to Wob,

" Well Sir Wob The Almighty, Harbinger of Wrath, Lord and Knight of the Order of Pestilence, sorry to drop in on you like this, however, it seems your boys got a little playful with us & so we pursued them. "
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Jacob stands at the ready behind his two friends, one hand on the hilt of his short sword. "Yeah, they were the real rough type."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Ox will cast Fairie Fire if it looks like the group is going to be attacked. Ox will then if all goes right grab the PC to the rear and tell them to grab the person in front of them as I pull them back into the hall.

Does anyone know exactly how racial bonus spells work. Do they come as you rech the level of the spell? Or are they automatically given to the character? I think the first one but I am not for sure.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "Course we were. What'd you spect from a dwarf? We hate goblins with hated we're born to have." the dwarf replies as he gets up with his weapon in hand.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Nordbo »

Dram: As I only know & DM BTB 1e AD&D I am not aware of racial spells. But racial abilities, yes.

Ox watches the events unfold from a spot where he unfortunately would not be able to reach his fellow adventures below (let alone drag their combined weight of +400 lbs) by hand - they are on a floor lower down, watched by goblins. Standing just inside door opening above he has not been yet spotted by the goblins on the floor of this chamber but risks being so very soon.
Last edited by Nordbo on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nordbo »

The circle of spear-wielding guards regroup to open up in front of Norbold, Jacob and Korin, while others move in behind them, making up a " U " formation around them.
The three adventurers see a slightly raised platform across the floor, on which some kind of important looking figure reclines.
Prodded by the tips of many goblins' spears the three adventurers have no choice but to move forwards towards this platform. While doing so, many goblins perched on ledges hold their bows aimed at the three. Thus, they are covered from all sides (but no one has removed any of their weapons).

On the raised platform, heavily guarded by many goblins and other similar entities on both sides, sits a scruffy yet authoritative, helmeted yet half-naked figure. The left side of his face is darker than the right - his hands are unusually large - and the left one oddly grubby. He is obviously the leader of the gang that has invaded Rat Ridge.
06-02_Bow_before_the_almighty.jpg
06-02_Bow_before_the_almighty.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 823 times
He sits on a blanket or rug decorated in a fiery pattern of flames. To the right stands a finely decorated screen, obviously loot from somewhere. Korin and Jacob notice Norbold jumps a bit when he sees it.

The leader who calls himself Wob adresses the three (still in Common):

"Well, boys will be boys. Who doesn't enjoy a hearty tussle now and then ? I'm sure there was no ill will intended."
He picks his teeth with his right hand, spits, then pins his gleaming, watery eyes on Korin, and continues: "MMMMMPerhaps you'd like a tussle now, my little feisty friend ? - - - - hee hee hee..."

A screeching cackle of goblinoid laughter is hears throughout the chamber.

Wob raises his hand and the room goes instantly quiet, save for some fidgety rattling of spears and bows.

"Leaving such nasty words as hatred aside for the moment....pray tell, on what kind of little trek do you think you are on, coming here and upsetting our daily, peaceful lives ? Not very n-i-i-i-c-c-c-e behaviour, would you say, Thwuk ?" (he thumps one of his armed guards - apparently Thwuk - who grunts in return).

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "Ready when ya are. But we heard ya took a princess from the local town. We came ere ta save her." the dwarf spits on the floor in defiance of Wob. "I say if yer holdin her and ya wanna fight me the lets have a duel fer her."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Dram »

What Kind of weapons the goblins carrying.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nordbo »

What Kind of weapons the goblins carrying.
the tips of many goblins' spears
many goblins perched on ledges hold their bows aimed
In addition, assorted rough handheld weapons like clubs, short swords, broken off table legs etc. Wob's immediate guards are wielding halberd-like long axes (see pic above)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Jacob eyes the assembled grouping of goblins surrounding them, his face showing just a bit of hesitation to Korin's declaration. He walks up and places a hand on Korins shoulder, the hand that conceals his dagger still ready and twitchy, "Well now, Let's not be to hasty my friend, after all, we heard about this from a drunk in a tavern that you stole from... Perhaps we should try and follow the goblin... lord, and talk about things before resorting to violence, especially when we are surrounded by his followers." he adds the last bit in a strained voice, trying to get across what a bad idea it is for the three of them to take on an army of goblins.

Jacob then regards Wob, an awkward smile on his face, "So! Wob, the almighty destroyer and all that, We did come here under the... pretense that there was a princess held captive. Now, if there was such a princess held captive then I believe that if you were to just hand her over to us we can all forget this messy business and move on with our lives. After all, wouldn't it be easier to hand her over to us and move on with your life than have to deal with an army of charging knights under the lord who's daughter you kidnapped? That is to say, If you do have such a princess here..."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "Aye aye if if. Fine yes I did not offer ta take on the whole lot not that it bothers me. But I did offer a duel with the great Wob but if that is too brash then what say we arm wrestle then?"

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nordbo »

Now suddenly ignoring Korin completely, Wob instead picks up on Jacob's brave attempt at diplomacy. With a wry smile, he points in a slightly camp way towards Jacob:
"Surrounded ? Surrounded ? Why, you're among friends here! Who wouldn't want to be f-r-i-e-n-d-z-z- with a s-w-e-e-t talking young knave like yourself, hmmmmh ?"
The chamber once again erupts in murderous cackle. (The adventurers by now realise that it seems that all goblins & related types in here freely understand Common)

Wob raises his hand - the surrounding laughter stops.

"Jokes aside - could a petty princess really be the motive for such a colorful little quartet of brave intruders ? (peers closely at the adventurers) "For there are four of you, right ?"
Then, realising there aren't, suddenly erupts angrily "Where is ze fourth one ??!??" spitting and frothing, red in the face with dictator-like rage.

At this last outburst, the spear-wielding guards watching Korin, Jacob and Norbold quickly look around them in a confused sheepish way, then back towards the door opening the three fell down from.

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin in dwarven "Best take advantage of the confusion boys." not knowing if Jacob or Norbold knows dwarf.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Jacob is like Fluent in a ton of languages apparently lol

Jacob nods slightly to Korin, taking the brief moment they have to return the comment in dwarven, "Well, do we bluff some more or go out fighting? Leaders all mad so I doubt we'll simply get off with a slap on the wrist..."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Dram »

Ox hears the conservation in Dwarven. Moves to where he can get a clear shot at Wob with his L. Bow
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Jacob is like Fluent in a ton of languages apparently lol

Jacob nods slightly to Korin, taking the brief moment they have to return the comment in dwarven, "Well, do we bluff some more or go out fighting? Leaders all mad so I doubt we'll simply get off with a slap on the wrist..."
Korin in dwarven again "Dunno lads but I sure wish Ox were down here. Guess we play this out but be ready case they start throwin spears at us."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold Ernessaeia [Sylvanian Elf Cleric: Scale Mail AC 6 : 4 / 4 HP]:

Says in Dwarven,

" I say we stay put, we have no cover against the arrows. That screen near Wob is of Elven work. "
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nordbo »

Ox hears the conservation in Dwarven.
Sorry, not possible from Ox' position to hear confidential* conversation that takes place between close-standing comrades, on the other side of a large hall filled with grumbling goblin guards

(*and presumably hushed? Because if not, i e if Korin, Jacob and Norbold do speak loudly in Dwarven... then the situation for them will be different)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Dram »

Nordbo wrote:
Ox hears the conservation in Dwarven.
Sorry, not possible from Ox' position to hear confidential* conversation that takes place between close-standing comrades, on the other side of a large hall filled with grumbling goblin guards

(*and presumably hushed? Because if not, i e if Korin, Jacob and Norbold do speak loudly in Dwarven... then the situation for them will be different)

Okay understand. Ox will remain ready if they begin to fight.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)”