Chapter 3: Judged under Open Skies

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 3: Judged under Open Skies

#1 Post by Pulpatoon »

Middleday, Springmonth 15

You spend the morning in the dank and shadow of your cells. Around noon, the gates at the end of your cells open, letting in bright light and a blown-out view of the arena you were dropped in yesterday. You here the susurration of a large crowd gathered around. A commanding voice echoes through from outside: "Prisoners! Present yourselves to the lawful judgement of the open sky and the Aerie Éastrodor."

In the Southern cell, Selde screams, and clings to the far end of the cell. You see that the gate to the cultists' cell has also opened.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3: Judged under Open Skies

#2 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon will do his best to calm Selde in soothing voice.
"Shhhh. Hush, child and be calm. We'll need to prove our innocence at trial. There is nothing to be gained by staying in this cell. They could easily remove us should they want to, and letting them know that we fear judgment will only strengthen their claims against us."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Maximer pushes past Simon and grabs the girl's arm, brusquely. "Listen to the boy! No time for caterwauling. Time for spine! Now, on your feet!"

Looking to his remaining guards, Maximer says, "Keep her standing and keep her quiet."

Straightening his posture and combing his fingers through his mustache, Maximer heads out into the arena, along with his guards and Selde.

The cultists remain where they are seated.
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by DavetheLost »

Des smartens up his appearance as best he can and and walks out into the arena to face the harpies.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus begins to walk with the rest of the group but veers off to the cultists cage, getting near it and staring at the two cultists for a moment before turning abruptly away and walking to meet back up with the group.

The bear cub following at his heels with some small noises as he swivels his head around the arena.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

bislab
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by bislab »

Does Mourn here this as well? If so he rises, cleans himself off as best as he can, swallows a bit of water and strides out of his cage.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by mb. »

After getting his helm on straight, Bürd stomps out into the sun with Mournath. Squinting around in the sun, he spots their friends emerging and waves his axe with a wide smile, "Good t'see ye hale and hearty again!"

Keeping a healthy distance from the sand funnel, he circles around towards the others.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon is surprised to see Bürd and Mournath and he greets them with a smile. "We feared the worse for you. I'm glad to see you made it here alive. Though the circumstances could be better"

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by mb. »

When Bürd rejoins his friends (assuming he can do so unhindered) he hugs Simon around the waist, "It does me good t'see y'alive lad. We feared worse'n you did - I were thinkin' y'were fer eatin' fer sure. Y'kinnae believe it, but we talked the winged ladies int' flyin' us here, an' right 'on'rable they treated us. I'm not knowin' what they've in mind fer us, but from what I seen, it ought t'be fair."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus walks over to his friends, surprise crossing his face momentarily at the sight of Bürd and the others, "It's good to see you again Bürd, I had feared we'd never see you or the others again." Keeping his voice low he gives a short update to his dwarven childhood friend, "They think we're with the cultists."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by mb. »

Bürd squints up at Marcus, "Aye, I were reckonin' summat sim'lar. Them bird ladies said aught of dark magics an' attacks, an' I couldnae but think a them crazy bastards in th'forest. I guess him as we found were just one of 'em an th'rest got through." He looks around the arena, "problem is, if I'm readin' it right, we're t'be tried by combat, agains' what I'm not knowin'. But I'd stay back 'round th'edges were I you." Bürd stomps over to the door to have a look at the cultists.
Last edited by mb. on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by PyroArrow »

Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius [Male Clockwork Child Warrior AC 12 : HP 2/ 5]:

Gizzy wakes up when the sun hits his eyes, gets up, stretches, shakes the dust off & proceeds outside with the others.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

bislab
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by bislab »

"Fond welcomes my friends, but were the moment a happier occasion! It seems we are to be judged, for what crimes I know not. Have you fared any better in understanding what this trial relates to?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Pulpatoon »

After being reunited, the party finds itself at a loss what to do, standing in a sandy arena with a conical depression, surrounded by stone walls and gathering harpies. Harpies file in, taking seats around the arena. The crowd shifts and murmurs to itself, but takes no direct heed of the party, at present.

Eventually the cultists are pressed out of their cell by harpy guards with spears.

Roll Call:
Bürd
Marcus
Rug the Cub
Simon
Gizzy
Mournath
Desmond
Maximer
Selde
Redmere, Jack, and Jeb (Maximer's surviving guards)
The Cultists: and older man and a younger woman, both emaciated and filthy.

When the traffic of new harpies seems to have tapered off, Commissioner, Lawgiver, and Stormqueen Aelsede of the Aerie Éastrodor arrives, flanked by guards. She settles in to a prominent seat, and the crowd hushes. Once silence is achieved, she calls out in clear, commanding tones: "You have heard the crimes of which you are accused: black magic, consorting with spirits, and necromancy. To these charges have been added murder of several of our Aerie's brave Swiftwings.

"You have been given time to consider your errors and prepare yourself for Justice. Some of you have plead for consideration of circumstances, and we have lent our ear to these pleas. In our magnanimity, we provided you with foods, rest, and medicines. We have left you the equipage with which the Sky found you. And now, as flesh of the Earth, you shall be judged by the Earth!"

At this declaration, the crowd reacts with alarm. Some are delighted, others shocked, and some seem offended. Among these is Advocate, Lawgiver, and Stormqueen Lilquathe who rushes forth. "This is not what was agreed! You have my report! You have the testimony of Captain Skolda! This is an act of barbarism!"

Stormqueen Aelsede retorts: "These times are too perilous for your weak laws of ink and water! The Aerie demands justice such as only Earth and Sky can abrogate! Raise the gates!"

Three of the bronze gates facing the arena led to your cells and the cell of the cultists. Now, the fourth gate begins to groan and creak with the effort of opening.

Stormqueen Lilquathe: "You zealots have over-reached, Aelsede! I will not be a party to this." Spreading her wings, she lifts up into the air and flies out of the arena. A sizable crowd of harpies join her. Left behind are still a couple hundred harpies, all looking quite eager to watch what happens next.

Stormqueen Aelsede screams: "I said OPEN THAT GATE!"

With a final groan, the gates bust open, and a dozen giant ants pour out.
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Wed May 20, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus swings into action, bringing his spear up to meet the ants, "Form a ring! Form a ring! Defensive positions!" he begins backing up to form a defensive circle. If any of the ants get within reach then he will stab at them with his spear but otherwise hold her defensive position.

Spear: [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9, Damage: [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

MW, should I assume from your description that you have entered a defensive posture?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by mb. »

As the crowd of harpies take flight, Bürd shouts at the sky "yer honour's at stake Captain Skolda! Yer knowin' I spoke truth t'ye, so if'n yer honour means aught t'ye y'll be doin' what y'kin fer us, or be damned a coward!" He points a stubby finger at the cultists, "them's the ones y'want, and them's not with us!"

As the ants emerge Bürd looks around as his friends, hefts his axe, and shouts with Marcus, "backs t'th'wall lads! Don't let 'em get a'hind us!"

He also keeps a wary eye on the cultists, kicking sand at their heads, or resorting to more extreme measures, to keep them away from him and his friends.

Bürd is definitely assuming a defensive posture, for now.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon stands slack-jawed as he overhears the conversation amongst the harpy royalty, so sure was he that his group would be set free. Diplomacy had failed, and his words were nothing more than wind. When the gates finally open, he swallows hard as death approaches on chitinous legs.

"Bürd has the right of it, back to the wall. A defensive circle is only as good as it's weakest link..., he let's the rest go unsaid staring at the two cultists. Simon will begin his retreat, but watches where the two cultists go.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Pulpatoon »

The party retreats to the wall, to the jeers of the harpies on that side of the arena, who now have an obstructed view.

One of Maximer's guards, Redmere, asks, "Can you spare any weapons? Half of us are unarmed."

Selde, pale with terror, squeeze out of her constricted throat the words, "Yes. Give me something sharp."

Maximer appears to be hyperventilating.

The cultists stand not far from their cell's gate, not bothering to move forward from the furthest point the guards had prodded them to.

The giant ants emerge, appearing more agitated than anything else by whatever is herding them out of the cell. Once out in the open, they appear to mill around aimlessly. Individuals begin to explore the arena, probing the walls and sand. One ant approaches the cultists, but immediately retreats.

Four of the ants approach the party. They are huge and eerie to see up close, and smell like minerals and oil.

An ant extends its antennae towards Marcus. Another seems intent on probing Gizzy, and a third is heading towards Selde.

The bronze gate to the ants' cell snaps shut.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by mb. »

Bürd slides his three hatchets out of his belt, and passes them along towards Maximer and his men, careful not to make any too hasty movements. He says not-too-loudly out the side of his beard, "d'any of ye know aught of insects? They're not lookin' too 'gressive yet... 'ave y'aught they might be wantin'? Sweet tends t'draw 'em when they's littler..."

Return to “At the Forest's Edge (Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures)”