Invisible Monsters and Attacking (2E)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Invisible Monsters and Attacking (2E)

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Question for more experienced players and DMs:

In 2E, if a monster that can become invisible at-will attacks, does it become visible?

My group is currently battling an imp, which wisely used is at will ability to turn itself invisible. It attacked, and I was asked if this (the attack) caused it to become visible.

I don't have any experience with invisibility, but did a bit of research this morning, which I detailed here:
viewtopic.php?p=170416#p170416
Storm11 wrote:Did the imp break its invisibility when it attacked Festus again?
The fact that this question was asked makes me think I missed something, or don't understand something, which is entirely possible (if not likely) since I have zero prior experience when it comes to invisibility. After doing a bit of research this morning, I'm leaning towards no, that the imp does not reveal itself.

Let's talk about it, though. Feel free to share your interpretations and thoughts.

Here is what I am basing my initial ruling on:
Dungeon Master Guide > Chapter 13 > Vision and Light > Invisibility > Detecting Invisible Creatures

Detecting Invisible Creatures
Invisible creatures and things are not detectable by normal sight or by infravision. They do not create any significant distortion or haze pattern that can be noted. However, invisible creatures aren't completely undetectable. First, things still cling to them. Flour thrown into the air is useful for this purpose, although it can be easily covered, washed off, or brushed away. Second, they do not leave invisible footprints. Again, flour on the floor is a good way to spot the movement of invisible creatures.

The effects of specific environments are more subtle. Fog and smoke do not reveal invisible creatures. Smoke and fog are filled with swirls and eddies, preventing the creature from being detected. Invisible creatures completely submerged in liquids are also concealed; there is no hollow space or "air bubble'' to reveal the creature's presence. At the surface, an invisible swimmer may be noticed by the observant as an unusual distortion of the waves.

Invisible creatures are not automatically silent. An invisible fighter in plate mail still clanks and rattles as he moves, a dead giveaway to most creatures. They still have scent, so creatures with keen noses can smell them. Indeed, blind, or nearly blind, creatures are unaffected by invisibility.

A detect magic shows only the presence of something magical without pinpointing it exactly. Thus, it cannot be used as a substitute for a detect invisible spell. Furthermore, while an actual light source may be invisible, the light emanating from it is not. This can reveal the location of an invisible character.

When the DM thinks there is minor but sufficient cause for a creature to detect an invisible character, a saving throw vs. spell should be made (secretly if the DM is checking for a player character). A minor cause might be a strange odor, small noise, an object that disappeared when it shouldn't have, or a strange reaction from another person (who has been pushed, kicked, poked, etc., by the invisible character). Such a saving throw should be allowed for each new event. A wolf would get a save when it detected a strange scent, then shortly after when it heard a stick break, and finally a last chance when the character drew his sword from his scabbard. Furthermore, the acuity of the creature's senses and its general intelligence can increase or decrease the frequency of checks, at the DM's discretion.

If the suspicious creature or character rolls a successful saving throw, he detects some small sign of the invisible foe's presence. He knows its general location, but not its exact position. He can attack it with a -4 penalty on his chance to hit. If the check fails, the creature or character is unaware of the invisible opponent until it does something else that might reveal its presence.

Of course, a revealing action (which could range from an attack to tripping over a pile of pots) immediately negates the need for a saving throw. In such cases, the character has a pretty good idea that something is not right and can take actions to deal with the situation.

Finally, even if an invisible character is suspected, this does not mean the character will be instantly attacked. The result, especially for less intelligent creatures, may only be increased caution. Having scented the intruder, the wolf bristles and growls, protecting its cubs. The rattlesnake will give its warning rattle. Even the orcs may only circle about warily, alert for an ambush.

The above doesn't state that the creature becomes visible, but its attack (revealing action) does negate the need for a saving throw (with the saving throw being used to "detect" an invisible creature in the first place). Because the group is aware that the imp is there, and knows this general location to focus their attacks (but not the exact position), any attack would be made with the standard -4 penalty on their to-hit roll.

Again, feel free to disagree. We can definitely discuss this before moving forward.
My understanding, based on what I read, leads me to believe that the imp would remain invisible, even after attacking, but I'm definitely looking to make the correct decision/ruling here as it's a pretty critical encounter.

Does anyone have any thoughts or other interpretations they're willing to share?
Last edited by dmw71 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Invisible Monsters and Attacking (2E)

#2 Post by Keehnelf »

My interpretation of these rules is usually that the invisible creature would remain visible until it was able to act again (the beginning of its next round's action) after it was rendered visible by attacking or some other similar sort of activity. This might only be a split second, depending on how initiative for the two rounds is set up, but it does provide a window both for people to see the acting creature (regardless of initiative rolls) and the potential for counter-attack before the creature can blink back out of visibility.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Thanks for your feedback, Keehnelf.

I've been considering this question all morning and fear that I'm ruling that innate abilities are more powerful:
viewtopic.php?p=170476#p170476

Alethan wrote:Magic is often used to try and replicate the innate abilities of supernatural creatures."
I agree with this.
Storm11 wrote:In first edition at will means without components and uninterruptible and useable as often as desired.

Not instantaneously.

It's still the creatures action for the round.
This makes sense as well.

---

Okay, here is how I'm thinking this situation will be resolved:
  • Becoming invisible was Harzogopas' action, so her first round attack would not have happened.
  • Unlike the 'Invisibility' spell, Harzogopas' innate ability will allow her to remain invisible while attacking (so attacks made against her will be made with a -4 penalty).

Even though I've already ruled on this particular situation, I'm still interested in other thoughts if people are still interested in sharing.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Keehnelf »

Here's an odd thing: for me, the big distinction between being invisible and having the ability to become invisible at will is that you can engage in activities that will render you visible again in the latter case. I know it's not exactly RAW, but in your first post there doesn't seem to be any meaningful distinction between those two things.

In fact, under those circumstances it would almost make sense to view it or describe it the other way around: as having the ability to become visible at will because they can't be forced to be visible if they don't want to be.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Keehnelf wrote:Here's an odd thing: for me, the big distinction between being invisible and having the ability to become invisible at will is that you can engage in activities that will render you visible again in the latter case.
This is an excellent, logical argument. I see your point, and I'm already rethinking my ruling (since it's not too late).

Thanks, again, for your input.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Keehnelf »

No problem--I'm intrigued by being forced to re-read the rules you cite. It suggests that maybe they didn't intend those to be two different things--perhaps invisible at will does just mean you get to pick and choose when you're visible, rather than being stuck that way like an invisible stalker or some such.

And since I didn't really explain my reasoning well, I thought I'd follow up. I think ruling either way makes good sense; it just depends on what you find a more compelling argument and what allows the rules to remain consistent for your game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Keehnelf wrote:No problem--I'm intrigued by being forced to re-read the rules you cite.
I get myself in trouble when I start reading the rules. ;)
Keehnelf wrote:-- perhaps invisible at will does just mean you get to pick and choose when you're visible, rather than being stuck that way like an invisible stalker or some such.
Actually, what you said originally ("the ability to become invisible at will is that you can engage in activities that will render you visible again.") is what is causing me to rethink my original position.

If turning invisible is an ability, it very well might require their full action to keep up that ability. Or, since its an at-will ability, can it keep up that ability and do other things (e.g. attack)?

I'm starting to think that the imp in my situation could turn itself invisible on its turn -- that would be its action. On its next turn, it could either keep up this ability or attack. If attacking, it becomes visible again.

Dammit! :lol:

I'm really not sure how to rule on this one?
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I know it was in 1e but in War is Hell Grognardsw had an imp that attacked the good party and I recall it was invisible then if it attacked it was visible until it was able to act again.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'm really not sure how to rule on this one?
I actually surprised myself, but I'm sticking with my original ruling.

---

My reasoning is as follows (which I originally posted here: viewtopic.php?p=170542#p170542)
dmw71 wrote: Okay, here is how I'm thinking this situation will be resolved:
  • Becoming invisible was Harzogopas' action, so her first round attack would not have happened.
  • Unlike the 'Invisibility' spell, Harzogopas' innate ability will allow her to remain invisible while attacking (so attacks made against her will be made with a -4 penalty).
This is going to stick.

Keehnelf raised some interesting arguments (link) which forced me to rethink abilities in general, and how much effort they require to keep up. For an imp, turning invisible is an at-will ability, which I interpret as being something it can just do.

Like flight.

I would consider flight to be an at-will ability, and a creature in flight isn't forced to land before it's able to do other things (e.g. attack).

My decision was really solidified, however, when I read the following out of the description of blue dragons:[quote="Combat]"Blue dragons prefer to fight from a distance so their opponents can clearly witness the full force of their breath weapon and so little or no threat is posed to themselves --
Older blue dragons will use their special abilities, such as 'hallucinatory terrain', in concert with these tactics to make the land and air in their chances to surprise."[/quote]
So, a blue dragon can:
  • Move by walking.
  • It can also fly at will.
  • While flying, it can cast its breath weapon and also use other special abilities.

Clearly, the dragon doesn't have to use any effort to maintain its at-will ability of flight.

Neither then should the imp be required to use any effort to maintain its at-will ability of remaining invisible.

It may not be right, but this is what makes sense to me.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I know it was in 1e but in War is Hell Grognardsw had an imp that attacked the good party and I recall it was invisible then if it attacked it was visible until it was able to act again.
I can definitely make an argument to support this; I was just able to make a stronger argument in another direction.

This is just my own interpretation of factors, and what makes sense to me, but that certainly doesn't make it right.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Keehnelf »

I may not use this reasoning (I'm not sure I would call flight and invisibility at-will equivalent powers, but that's semantics), but I like the logic of it :)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#12 Post by Scott308 »

I can't speak for 2nd Edition, but here is the description for Improved Invisibility, a 4th level Illusionist spell in 1E (p97, PHB):
This spell is similar to invisibility, but the recipient is able to attack, either by missile discharge, melee combat, or spell casting and remain unseen. Note, however, that there are sometimes telltale traces, a shimmering, so that an observant opponent can attack the invisible spell recipient. Such attacks are at -4 on the "to hit" dice, and all saving throws are made at +4.

That is how I would rule on it. Because the invisibility is an innate ability, I would allow the creature to stay invisible but give the party members a chance to hit it, albeit at a penalty, because they know something is there but they don't know exactly where. If someone has a bag of flour they wished to throw, because they know the general area of the creature based on the shimmer, they should easily be able to cover the creature as it would be an area effect instead of precisely finding a gap in armor with a blade on something you cannot see, thereby removing the effect of the invisibility even if the invisibility is still maintained. And I would allow creatures that are able to turn invisible to do it instantly, with no effort or need for concentration. Thus they should be able to turn invisible and still move, attack or whatever other action they choose that round. For examples of similar abilities in nature, look at the octopus. They are able to change color instantly and still maintain that while inking or swimming away.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:That is how I would rule on it. Because the invisibility is an innate ability, I would allow the creature to stay invisible but give the party members a chance to hit it, albeit at a penalty, because they know something is there but they don't know exactly where.
I appreciate the feedback.

That is exactly how we've been playing it out. The imp remains invisible after it attacks, and the players can attack it with a -4 penalty.
Scott308 wrote:If someone has a bag of flour they wished to throw, because they know the general area of the creature based on the shimmer, they should easily be able to cover the creature as it would be an area effect instead of precisely finding a gap in armor with a blade on something you cannot see, thereby removing the effect of the invisibility even if the invisibility is still maintained.
Actually, this is just about to happen. A gnome in the party took off his cloak and, using a trail of blood the wounded imp was leaving behind as a guide, tossed up his cloak into the flight path of the imp and, with a roll of a natural 20, tangled the imp and sent it tumbling to the ground, wrapped in the cloak. A dwarf, who happened to have a pack of flour in his list of equipment, has successfully rolled to hit the beast with the flour and cake it in the white powder (pun intended).

It should be an interesting battle now that the to-hit penalty will be negated!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

The gnome tangling the imp in the cloak is pretty awesome! Nat 20s rule!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:The gnome tangling the imp in the cloak is pretty awesome! Nat 20s rule!
What's "funny" is, I misread the player's original post and thought they rolled a 1 instead of a 20.

I make all initiative rolls in the game, so the player will typically roll a macro which has their to-hit roll on the left and their damage on the right. I saw this and noticed the 1 on the left and assumed it was a bad miss.
Storm11 wrote:"PbP Forum code: [1d10] = 1 : [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21"
It wasn't until after my update didn't reflect what they thought was an automatic success that the player pointed it out to me.

An interesting turn of events to say the least.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “General RPG discussion”