Chapter 2 - Sorrowfield

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2 - Sorrowfield

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

You make your way further into bog, concerned about the depth and sinking but find the ground firm enough to support your weight though you do have to wade through the water somewhat. Spying the stand of trees, you make for that area slowly. As you wade out you see spots where the goblins could have easily hidden and surprised the family. This puts you on edge but you find nothing amongst the tall grass. Just the trail of the sled. Eventually, the trail leads you to the stand of trees. The trails continues on under the foliage.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 1 - Screams at Dawn

#2 Post by MrHemlocks »

Stopping near the stand of trees, Adrik looks over at his fellow adventures. "Now that we are out of that muck and onto drier ground and the trial leads into undergrowth would Erevan mind stand beside me? I figure your elven eyesight and hearing could warn me of dangers that I might miss."
While waiting for an answer, Adrik will can the area, to his front, for traps and look around for goblins or other potential dangers. perception roll [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by pipes84 »

Craw lands panting onto the steady ground around the trees and starts wiping some chunks of mud off his boots. After just a few moments he gives up, though, and recollects his shield. He looks around as the dwarf speaks, feeling his handaxe in the palm of his hand.
He nods to Adrik "I'll follow just after you and master elf"

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by tumblingdice »

"We shall see about that, and hear I suppose," Erevan replies. He puts his keen elven senses to good use.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

tumblingdice wrote:"We shall see about that, and hear I suppose," Erevan replies. He puts his keen elven senses to good use.
Need a perception check. (1d20+WIS mod) Add a further +2 if you have proficiency with Perception

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by tumblingdice »

ybn1197 wrote:
tumblingdice wrote:"We shall see about that, and hear I suppose," Erevan replies. He puts his keen elven senses to good use.
Need a perception check. (1d20+WIS mod) Add a further +2 if you have proficiency with Perception
Sorry. Here goes:
[1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ybn1197 »

Adrik finds no signs of traps but he does find a lot of signs of goblin activity in the area. Though there does not appear to be any goblins in the vicinity at the moment, the amount of signs indicate that you are nearing whatever passes as their lair.

Though more difficult to follow now that you are out of the fens, Erevan is easily able to find the trail where the sled past. The trail continues deeper into the woods.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by MrHemlocks »

The brave, little party continues their track through he woods. Always on high alert to possible dangers that may lay hidden.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by tumblingdice »

ybn1197 wrote:Adrik finds no signs of traps but he does find a lot of signs of goblin activity in the area. Though there does not appear to be any goblins in the vicinity at the moment, the amount of signs indicate that you are nearing whatever passes as their lair.

Though more difficult to follow now that you are out of the fens, Erevan is easily able to find the trail where the sled past. The trail continues deeper into the woods.
Can I assume that the direction the goblin clues are leading us in is the same direction as the sled's trail?

If so, then Erevan, having stooped down to examine the tracks, rises to his feet. We are getting closer, he will announce.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ybn1197 »

tumblingdice wrote:Can I assume that the direction the goblin clues are leading us in is the same direction as the sled's trail?
Most definitely.

You travel along the make-shift path created by the heavily weighed dow sled, moving further and further into the wooded dell. The path winds its way until it forks at the foot of a large and mangled tree. A large tear runs the length of its trunk, splitting the tree nearly in two. The southern half of the tree hangs awkwardly to the side, casting a shadow over a small dip in the land.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by MrHemlocks »

Adrik comes to a halt when seeing the damaged tree and the two paths leading away from it for either side. Pointing at the tree he speaks in a whispered tones. "What do you all make of that?

He walks over to Erevan and looks up at the elf. "Might you use those slanted eyes to find the path most traveled by these goblins?"

Adrik, stepping off the path, while waiting for the rest of the party, looks around the brush and trees for any signs of an ambush or other trickery.
[1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 look around

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by tumblingdice »

"I might," Erevan answers, narrowing his slanted eyes. He closely examines the two trails to see which way the goblins went.

Perception: [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by PyroArrow »

Vicentio Senereno [Wizard - AC 10 - HP 5]:

Vicentio awaits to see which trail to follow.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by pipes84 »

Followed by the light sound of cracking leaves, Craw catches up with the others.
"What was that?" he nods to the broken tree "...lightning?"
While the elf is intent looking at the tracks, Craw takes a look at the woods surrounding the paths.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ybn1197 »

Adrik and Erevan both spy a small cave entrance lying partially hidden beneath the southern half of the tree. A crude flight of stairs lies just beyond the cave entrance, leading deeper into the earth.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by MrHemlocks »

ybn1197 wrote:Adrik and Erevan both spy a small cave entrance lying partially hidden beneath the southern half of the tree. A crude flight of stairs lies just beyond the cave entrance, leading deeper into the earth.
Do the sled tracks lead into the cave?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ybn1197 »

The sled tracks lead up to the cave entrance. From there, the ground is so packed that it is very difficult to pick out specific trails.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by tumblingdice »

"Aha!" Erevan exclaims. "This must be it."

OC: Oh boy! Dungeon time! :D

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by MrHemlocks »

"Well boys in we go!" Adrik starts to head down the stairs but stops. "Come on now. If that family is held captive no telling how much time they have left to live." Smiling he looks back at the rest of the party. "Just to let you know I will kill all goblins be they male, female or the nasty young ones. So, better not hear any of you call out cries of mercy for these creatures...there will be none!"

Under the old tree a passage waits:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ybn1197 »

About 20' in from the cave entrance the passage is obstructed by a collection of wooden boards, animal bones, branches, and broken fence posts strapped together to form a set of rudimentary double doors. A wooden board is lashed to one of the doors bearing the words "HUMENS KEEP UT" smeared across it in what you hope is just red paint.

Return to “Veranar (DnD 5e)”