Chapter 2 - Sorrowfield

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 2 - Sorrowfield

#381 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan slumps to the floor, resting his back against any available wall. He'll rest quietly, trying to regain some sense of well-being.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#382 Post by pipes84 »

"we need to rest for a while" says Craw "after all the prisoners are safe for the moment..." he walks out of the alcove and sits down against the cave wall, next to Erevan. taking a deep breath, he pulls out a piece of dried meat. Offering some to the mage, He then eats eagerly, looking numbly towards the middle of the room.

during the rest, craw will help erevan with his wounds if possible, examine the axe, examine the goblin body and help the others collecting coins and the rest of the stuff

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by ybn1197 »

Examining the goblin's body, you come across a vial of liquid. The liquid is a light orange in color and is highly viscous. On his belt is a cat-o-nine-tails. He also had a staff of sorts with a two-headed hook on the top. The one hook curled back and down, the other bends up and away from the staff. He also wears studded leather armor and boots of steel.
Attachments
chaosgoblin.png
chaosgoblin.png (109.47 KiB) Viewed 633 times

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by PyroArrow »

Vincentio Senereno [Wizard - AC 10 - HP 5]:

Says, " One of these days i've got to learn me a Detect Magic spell, guys, so we can see if anything on that dead goblin is imbued with magic. "
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#385 Post by pipes84 »

If you agree, can we say we are having a short rest? (1h long)... I think some of us can regain HP or abilities that way

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by ybn1197 »

As you have not seen any other means of entering this room, you can take a short rest.
A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.
A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end of a short rest, up to the character's maximum number of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character's level. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character's Constitution modifier to it. The character regains hit points equal to the total. The player can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll. A character regains some spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by hedgeknight »

Leaf nibbles on some rations while she rests...her back against a wall near Erevan. While she rests, she wonders what could be in the vial...
Winter is coming...

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by PyroArrow »

Wowser, so instead of resting 8 hours to regain 1 HP after tending wounds from a fight where you gained 1 HP back, in 1 E

You can now rest in segments where your roll a Hit Die + Constitution bonus, for each hour of rest.

This looks to make the game too easy, something i've seen starting back in 2e with the fudged up thieving stats for starters !

Which was done for the story telling, at the expense of taking the game challenge out of the game, geez.

None the less something new to try for variety's sake or if you are in a particularly very challenging module, getting constantly beat down to low HP !
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by ybn1197 »

Not quite. First, there are two types of rest; short and long. Short is at least 1 hour and Long is at least 8 hours. After a short rest, you can spend your Hit Dice to heal. As a first level character, you have 1 HD. So you can roll your hit die, add Con modifier and that is how many hit points you heal after a short rest. That hit die is spent. You can take 3 more short rests and you will not be able to heal any more additional damage till you take a long rest. That's why they call it spending your hit die; the mechanic keeps you from taking a short rest every couple hours and healing. After a long rest, you heal all your hit points and regain up to half of your total number of hit die. So for a 1st level character, you would regain that 1 hit die and be able to use it again after another short rest. If you were 2nd level, you would have 2 hit die. You could then use both in 1 short rest or use 1 in one short rest and hold the other till later. But remember, you can only get half back after a long rest so if you used both hit die you only get 1 back. And you can only have 1 long rest in a 24 hour period. In Erevan's case, I would use it. You only have 1 hit die to spend and at his current hit points, there may not be another chance at a short rest.

To quote a post on Reddit regarding this exact situation: ..., if you think of HP as representing stamina as well as physical durability then it makes sense. If you just got done with a fight and your HP are down, you can bet your character is out of breath, a little sweaty and tired. After laying around for an hour you're going to feel a lot better even if the cut you sustained in the battle is still oozing blood.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by hedgeknight »

As a DM, I have a love/hate relationship with the new 5E healing rules. I love it because it allows players to "get their second wind" (another healing change) and get back in the game. This allows me as a DM to move things along and not have to put the game on hold while everyone has to heal up for a week.
I hate it because it bursts the feel of early D&D/AD&D where you knew if you got severely wounded you might not make it out of the dungeon alive. And a 1-hour rest did you no good from a hp standpoint.
Last edited by hedgeknight on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by PyroArrow »

Put the game on hold for healing up?

What? If the party was severely battered in a fight, you just say; Ok, everyone rests up for like 3 days as you all heal back 3 HP's plus whatever your Clerics/Druids/Paladins & Healing Potions healed you over the rest period. So you get back the 3 HP's & make 3 days worth of Healing rolls. Maybe 3 days worth of wandering monster rolls to, depending on where they heal.

Now, it appears with 5E you don't really need your Clerics/Druids/Paladin's aid that much because you can heal by taking one hour rests here & there & rolling a Hit Die, because now WotC, includes stamina/constitution into it.

Now, still i'd let this in as an option the players can chose to use, in a 1st/2nd Edition game, especially a difficult module.

In a ways, though, it can take the worry out of your character's health management & you could see the players charging in & doing more foolish things.

Player:

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#392 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan raises a hand and takes the dried meat offered to him by Craw. "Many thanks," he says wearily. As if reading Leaf's mind, he says, "Maybe that vial has some medicinal properties." To whomever's closest to it: "May I see it, please?" He'll examine the potion to see if he can identify it, giving it a sniff, and even dipping his finger in to see if he can identify it by taste. Arcana check: [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25

OC: Erevan will spend one hit die in healing at the end of this rest. [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 Can I also use Arcane Recovery to regain his Burning Hands spell?
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by ybn1197 »

tumblingdice wrote:Erevan raises a hand and takes the dried meat offered to him by Craw. "Many thanks," he says wearily. As if reading Leaf's mind, he says, "Maybe that vial has some medicinal properties." To whomever's closest to it: "May I see it, please?" He'll examine the potion to see if he can identify it, giving it a sniff, and even dipping his finger in to see if he can identify it by taste. Arcana check: [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25

OC: Erevan will spend one hit die in healing at the end of this rest. [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 Can I also use Arcane Recovery to regain his Burning Hands spell?
It has a sweet taste, similar in texture to honey. But Arcana will not allow you to identify potions.

Yes, you can recover Burning Hands.

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#394 Post by pipes84 »

Craw [Fighter - AC 17 - HP 13]

When satisfied with his meat, Craw collects and counts all the coins in the sacks and any other valuable in the room, dividing them into four stacks.
Then, he weights the axe he found in the alcove, and he slowly approaches the goblin body. With a few raw chops, he beheads the goblin shaman. Clutching the severed head by one of the ears, he walks towards Leaf and drops it near the elf.
"Here is your next argument with the wolves, my lady" he says nodding to the grisly head "I still want to believe we can avoid fighting those beasts"

Ybn, after a short rest I should regain my second wind fighter ability, is that correct or I was reading wrong?

also, sorry, is there something peculiar with the axe? or anything uncomfortable? Craw actually wielded it twice now

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by hedgeknight »

Leaf [Druid - AC 13 - HP 8]

Though no stranger to blood and gore, Leaf still shies away from the mangled head of the goblin priest. "I will not kill them if there is any other way around it. I would free them if I could...and knew they wouldn't turn on us."
Winter is coming...

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#396 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan smiles as he realizes the potion tastes sweet. "Let us save this for future tribulations," he suggests. He, too, recoils as Craw chops off the goblin's head. He'll then dust himself off, stand up, and rejoin his companions, ready for action.

OC: Happy New Year, everyone! My wife and I stayed up binge-watching Downton Abbey, and then my daughters woke me up at 6:30 to play. That'll teach me.

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#397 Post by pipes84 »

Craw [Fighter - AC 17 - HP 13]

Craw sits down again near Leaf, keeping the severed head in between them.
"This could be that Klaw the other goblins were telling us about" he coughs. "Tell the wolves we dispatched him, and all their other captors. Tell them we have no quarrel with them, tell them they are welcome to take those caves for their own, but..." he frowns, looking into the elf eyes "We must bring all the humans in the cages with us, and unscathed."

Then, with a shudder "If their leader doesn't want to hear you, well... my cloak is getting worn-out anyway" he smiles, then closes his eyes as to get one long, last moment of rest.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by ybn1197 »

pipes84 wrote:When satisfied with his meat, Craw collects and counts all the coins in the sacks and any other valuable in the room, dividing them into four stacks.
All told, there are 5,000 copper pieces and 5,500 silver pieces in the two sacks. In the chest there is 1,000 gold pieces, a jade statue resembling the large beetles you have encountered and a small velvet pouch with 3 gems. I have created a treasure thread with all the items found so far.
pipes84 wrote:Ybn, after a short rest I should regain my second wind fighter ability, is that correct or I was reading wrong?

also, sorry, is there something peculiar with the axe? or anything uncomfortable? Craw actually wielded it twice now
You are correct, you do regain your second wind ability. You are not completely sure of the axe though you do think it is of dwarven forging and the blade appears to be very sharp.

Sorry for the lack of posts everyone, between the holidays and a vicious head cold I was down and out for a couple of days. I hope the holidays were great for everyone.

Actions?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by hedgeknight »

Knowing it must be done, Leaf takes the goblin meat and backtracks to the wolves. When the Alpha appears, she says, "We have slain the leader of the goblins and all his minions. You may leave or take these caves for your home. The human captives come with us."
With that, she tosses the head of the goblin priest to the wolves.
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by ybn1197 »

Give me a Persuasion roll

Return to “Veranar (DnD 5e)”