OOC & MW's Chat Hut

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC & MW's Chat Hut

#281 Post by mb. »

Or maybe he went out and got kidnapped by Pulp-only-knows-what, and we could investigate and try and save him later. Maybe he was dragged off to Tallinmar!

Anyway, whatever happened to Jonas, it's a pity to see you go zeb. Thanks for adding to the game!

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#282 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote:Aw, Zeb, I'm sorry to hear that. You've been a great addition to out team. But I understand, we can get pretty post-happy.

Jonas has, by the bye, been an absolute murder machine with more kills and heroic acts than anyone else in the party!

Unless you have any plans for an exit, shall we just retcon that Jonas went out for herbs and didn't make it back in time for the rest of the adventure? That would leave open the possibility of him rejoining the group for some later adventure.
Our post rate here is not to blame at all, I am also leaving the other games I'm in that have much slower post rates.

Looks like a good solution to me and I would love to rejoin in the future.

It's been a pleasure guys, game on!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#283 Post by KingOfCowards »

zebediah wrote:Guys, I'm afraid I will have to back out from the game as it has become almost impossible for me to keep up as en effective member of the group. I am really sorry to leave as this has been a great game thus far and I had alot of fun being a part of it.
Going to miss you Zeb. It has been great having you in the campaign. Good luck with whatever you've got going on.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Aww, Well that's lame.

Hopefully everything gets sorted out for the better and you can return to us soon :D
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#285 Post by mb. »

D'oh! Low rolls for skill checks are good, right? :roll:

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by PyroArrow »

Beyond the Wall getting Updates & a new product!

Info here:
http://osrnews.blogspot.com/2014/10/rev ... works.html
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#287 Post by mb. »

I believe Pulp was in a Hangout playtest of that new product last week. ;) I was meant to be, but timing.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Pulpatoon »

This PbP game is actually part of the playtest, as well. WE ARE HISTORY IN THE MAKING.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#289 Post by mb. »

Moving the mechanics chat over here...
Yeah, this is a syntactic hiccup in the game. "-2" doesn't look like a bonus, but "+2" gets applied differently depending on the roll. I think of + as good and - as bad, and so +2 is two points in your favor, whichever way that goes. In a skill check like this, yes, you effectively get a +2 bump to your intelligence.
I'm not sure I understand why they created this problem. Any game where I sometimes have to roll high and sometimes low, and where +2 sometimes means plus and sometimes minus, almost feels like it's intentionally trying to confuse people who play it. Why not just normalise all rolls that they have to be above a difficulty rating/saving throw/armour class, and always have + mean +?

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by PyroArrow »

New Cover Art for the Revised Edition of, "Beyond The Wall....":

http://osrnews.blogspot.com/2014/10/cov ... ition.html
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Moving the mechanics chat over here...
Yeah, this is a syntactic hiccup in the game. "-2" doesn't look like a bonus, but "+2" gets applied differently depending on the roll. I think of + as good and - as bad, and so +2 is two points in your favor, whichever way that goes. In a skill check like this, yes, you effectively get a +2 bump to your intelligence.
I'm not sure I understand why they created this problem. Any game where I sometimes have to roll high and sometimes low, and where +2 sometimes means plus and sometimes minus, almost feels like it's intentionally trying to confuse people who play it. Why not just normalise all rolls that they have to be above a difficulty rating/saving throw/armour class, and always have + mean +?

Good question. They even say in the rules "We know this seems weird, but you'll get used to it quickly enough, we promise."

Combat is established in D&D as a roll-over mechanic, where the target number is your opponent's ascending armor class. There are of course, other D&D combat mechanics (Descending AC and THACO and whatnot), but roll-over/ascending AC is elegant and doesn't require charts or math.

Saves, which they've admitted they really only kept in the game to maintain compatibility with OSR products, are also established as roll-overs.

For BtW, they wanted simple ability checks using the established 3-18 attribute numbers (which doesn't really exist in old timey D&D), which make sense with a roll-under mechanic (because a higher attribute is better than a lower one). This attribute check system is something I like about BtW. It drives me crazy that D&D chargen puts so much emphasis on rolling these stats that actually have almost no use in the game. It's such a relief to see someone putting it to use.

Anyway, thinking it over, I think the answer is this: The +2 is not added to your roll, but to some number on your character sheet—either your relevant attribute or to your Battle Attack Bonus or your Save. So + is always +, but you just need to put that + in the right place.

I'll have to read through the rules to make sure I reporting this correctly, but it makes sense in my head, and also explains the BAB, which had struck me as a bit of an odd add-on.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Pulpatoon »

PyroArrow wrote:New Cover Art for the Revised Edition of, "Beyond The Wall....":

http://osrnews.blogspot.com/2014/10/cov ... ition.html
Nice isn't it? I'm obviously fond of this system, but find the visual design of the original edition embarrassingly amateurish. I'm excited to think that I'll be able to get a physical copy that I won't mind seeing on my shelf. I hope the interiors looks as good.

I wish they'd clean up their masthead, though.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by PyroArrow »

Yes it is a nice cover!

Player:

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#294 Post by mb. »

Regarding the mechanics stuff above:

Yeah, I totally agree that ability score checks are a good thing, and I understand the "roll under" idea. It's just the inconsistency of "roll under for this, roll over for that" that's a bit weird. It's obviously a bit of an OSR legacy thing. Maybe a way to make it consistent would be that ability score checks are "roll over difficulty - score" or something. Super easy difficulty could be 20 for example, so a super easy climb with 18 DEX would be 20-18 = roll over 2. Or something like that. Adds a little more math, but gives a simple "always roll over" mechanic.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#295 Post by mb. »

And yes, nice picture! Crappy logo! They really need a designer to clean it all up for them. If it hadn't been for you Pulp, I'd have never looked at the old rules for even 5 minutes.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by PyroArrow »

Maybe make the Logo 3D-ish looking with Castle stone wall texturing for a start?

Or some sort of image that is looking out from crenelations into a forest beyond imbeded in the logo?

Player:

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by PyroArrow »

Some more Updates News on Beyond The Wall:

http://osrnews.blogspot.com/2014/10/mor ... -news.html

Player:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I guess we all now know that Marcus isn't too find of Hake's fatherly skills either..
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#299 Post by mb. »

Bürd's not exactly the well controlled diplomat, so he's quite happy to give fists to everyone else's opinion of Hake. :D

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#300 Post by mb. »

Crap. What an embarrassing "I'm a badass dwarf and you deserve whuppin'" scene! :shock:

Return to “At the Forest's Edge (Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures)”