Chapter 5: A Dark Light

PyroArrow
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 5: A Dark Light

#1 Post by PyroArrow »

It is about 11:35am on April 12th when Fr. Tenebaum, & his two Acolytes, Karick & Radac, enter Lord Guido's Keep, with five of the Medium War Horses.
The weather having turned dark & gloomy as grey storm clouds had rolled in.

DM cues the tune "Dark Light" by Kiss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlPhH_GVrdY

Lyrics to "Dark Light":
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kiss/darklight.html

About a half hour later news reaches the One-Eyed Cat Tavern, of three Clerics, two of them wounded, with five horses had entered the Keep, via Tella the Stable-hand girl.

Tella comes running into the tavern & up to the bar, after having walked the 5 war horses to the Inner Bailey Gatehouse where she handed them off to the Guards.

Tella has squeezed herself between two patrons named Mort & Kormac, & waved Wilf the BarKeep to come over, which he does.

Tella, says to Wilf the Barkeep:
"Fr. Tenebaum has returned to the Keep with Karick & Radac & 5 horses but no one else."

"I heard mention of a battle with Orcs in a Cave at the Caves of Chaos."

Wilf to Tella:
"This does not bode well for the adventure party that went out to rescue the Kmarties."

"If you learn anything more let us know."

Tella then heads back to the Common Stables.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 5: A Dark Light

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mort to Kormak while the two sit having a drink at the bar, "Yah hear that Mak? Could mean for some good money to be had. What ya think should we head off to the keep and see if they need some hired hands so that we might make out pockets fuller?" he prods Kormak in the side with his elbow.

Kormak gulps down some more of his drink puts the mug down loudly "Eh could be fun. Sides they said orcs and you know how much I hate them bastards fer what they did to my mother. I say lets see what this lord would have us do. But the pay better be good and it's worth it if I get to kill my dad's kin." he says gruffly with anger mounting in his voice he then wipes the froth from the drink off his face and orders another.

Mort chuckles and winks at Kormak "Aye killin' orcs should be fun. Lets not take too long there aught to be plenty o' folk that've heard bout this by now, we best hurry to the keep fore someone takes out bounty." he smiles then downs his drink and gets up waiting for Kormak. He gives Kormak a hearty slap on the shoulder and pays for their drinks leaving a fair tip on the table(bar) for the barkeep, Wilf. "Come now drink fast my burly friend, there's adventure afoot."

Kormak laughs a roaring laugh gets his second drink and downs it in record time not surprising to Mort in the least. "Do lets, time to get board at the Inn."

The two head off in due haste for Board in the Green Man Inn in Guido's Keep.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by MonkeyWrench »

After arriving to the keep, victor and Maya head towards the tavern, talking amongst themselves as they walk.

Victor "Maya my sweet! you are just no fun sometimes, I don't see the problem with me doing it."

Maya "It's pointless."

Victor "You wound me madam! Nothing I do should ever be considered pointless, my actions are destined, no, fated! to bring this world into a golden age of enlightenment!"

Maya "...Fine, whatever."

Victor "Thank you my dear! I just knew you would see reason Haha!"

As the two reach the tavern door Victor slams the door open and proclaims loudly to all inside, "Make way, make way! For your filth ridden, but possibly very quaint, tavern is now host to the hero's of this story! Not only do we save the day but we also resuce the princess and we also get the girl! All in style of course *wink* While my name may not mean anything to you fine folks let me introduce! Victor then motions his hands towards the door way, "Now entering! The lord of swords! the Duchess of Justice! The Champion of battles far and wide! Her stoic lady-like self! Maya!!"

Maya just walks into the tavern, shaking her head, and completely ignoring her companion. She takes a seat, says nothing, and as per ritual whenever this happens, waits for Victor to get it out of his system before joining the table with two drinks and some food.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kormak & Mort pause a moment looking back to the other two that came with them to the Borderlands. A bit of a look of shame on their faces.

Mort "Well Lina, Ewat what are you waiting for there is money to be had. Yes sorry we nearly forgot you two were with us that is our mistake. Pardon our excitement."

Kormak "Come let's get a move on it Ewat, Lina money to kill and orcs to be had."

Mort issues a hearty laugh "Kormak you did it again said the parts backwards my friend. You mean orc to kill and money to be had."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by MonkeyWrench »

After going through the crowd and telling them of his heroic accomplishments, usually right as he thinks them up, Victor heads over to the bar and buys two drinks and orders enough food for two, as he does so he will ask about any work needing to be done, or if there are any good rumors and stories around.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mort ignores the loud mouthed man that enters the place so loudly and bold telling his lies of things never done. He does however stare a little at the woman who appears none the less impressed by the mans stories.

Kormak looks to the loud mouthed man and grunts "Bafoon." then he stares a little too much at the woman that enters.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by MonkeyWrench »

are you two still in the tavern or have you left already? Figuring out if either Maya or Victor heard that bufoon comment :lol:

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yup they stopped before they got out forgetting they had two others with them.

===============================================================
Dungeon Master Response:

Mort & Kormack are already in Lord Guido's Keep! & the Green Man Inn they are seeking board in is connected via a hallway,
so they would not need to go outside, unless they got drunk & didn't realize/remember/see that!

There is a Map of the Keep in the Player's Map Section!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Maya sits at the table she hears the grunted insult towards her companions and shoots a cold glare towards the Half-orc and his human companion.

Meanwhile at the table with Maya, Victor seems to be doing magic tricks to those around him as he waits for the drinks he ordered.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kormak "Hey loud mouth! Yeah you the one spewing hot air like it is a commodity. Why don't you shut yer yap!"

Mort "Come now Kormak let us leave. There is no need to waste your energy upon a proud idiot, now is there?"

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Victor stops and looks over at the rude Half-orc and his human life partner, "Oh ho? And who are you to make such a bold demand? What is wrong my good half man, father not love you enough? Or was the mother the orc? I'm sure she must have looked the part." Victor has a smile on his face and a mischievous look in his eyes

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

with those comments there is little holding back Kormak, Mort knows this. As Mort goes to retort it is too late Kormak is already rushing over to the man fists swinging. Mort just stands aside over by the other two at the table/or bar.

Kormak issues a roar of rage and lets fly his fists forget words at this stage.

Mort from his vantage point stands there casually and gives a little wave and smiles to the woman that came in with this Victor fellow.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Seeing the Half-Orc rushes towards him Victor lets out a laugh as he chucks the nearest thing towards his attackers head and deftly jumps up and over the bar, "Come beast! Let us make this a worthy story! Haha!"

Maya remains seated at the table, watching Victor and the Half-orc fight, she has the look that this is not a new occurrence. Seeing the man waving at her she gives him a neutral looks and after witnessing what both their foolish companions are doing sighs and motions him over to sit at the table as well.

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mort looks to Maya and shrugs his shoulders. As he walks over to her he talks along the way "This happen often? I know the big guy has this problem often enough." he says indicating Kormak. Still trying to talk over the ruckus to Maya Mort continues "Beg my pardon lady my name is Mort, sorry to have met you under the current circumstances lady.".

Kormak just continues to fume and rage chasing the man called Victor. The cup Kormak just ignored as it was little of a distraction or defense against his build. "I'm going to get you mouthy man and you will regret talking about my friend and my mother!" he issues another roar of rage.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Maya sighs and shakes her head slightly, "Often enough. He does it all on purpose, he believes that life is boring if there is nothing exciting happening; I think he's crazy."

Victor continues to avoid the Kormak's fists, using his smaller and more dextrous size to his advantage as he weaves through the bar and crowd, throwing what he can get his hands on. "Oh come now! Surely a monster of your caliber can do better than this!"

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You know even though this is play acting we likely should see if this is really a dodge of punches or not. Kormak is not that slow for a big guy.

Mort smiles at Maya and sighs a bit "Well excitement sure it gets that if nothing else. Pushing Kormak's buttons was not wise though he is a bit oh a hot head when his mother is brought up. Deeply seated mother issues I'm afraid. Used to happen growing up until he met me." he just shakes his head watching the two.

Kormak is not getting any happier and Victor eventually will be caught "You know for a guy that claims to be so brave and bold you sure do run like a coward."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Of course, with victor being a spell caster he is not going to just wade into the fight but I do intend for a nose or two to be broken!

Maya "Most Half-Orcs are, Victor knows this very well; it's why he said it. He's going to get himself killed in an alley some day." She watches the two of them for a moment more, "I'm sure you know it already from Victors pointless introduction but I am Maya; He does that as well just because he knows I don't like it.

Victor "Right you are! How silly of me! A hero must never back down from the villain, that would make a horrible story!" He then runs towards the wall of the tavern and uses it as a kick off point to leap backwards towards the charging Half-Orc

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Lets take a pause at this point. Maybe the DM will chime in and give us an idea or we can at least take a break to review the informatin in the DMG or PHB.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by PyroArrow »

Wendi the Wench was serving Maya's & Victor's table when the exchange started, (Victor already having done a Magic trick, on entrance, even before being fully seated), & let out a screech, when the half-orc fellow, decided to rush over to Victor, after their little chat.

As Kormak & Victor sqabble, Wilf the Barkeep exclaims,
"Alright, Gentlemen, enough or i will call the Guards & you both will spend the night in the Keep's Dungeon!"

=====================================================
Dungeon Master Response:

Eh, so you want this little fight to evoke the combat rules for boxing/wrestling/grappling/subdueing/parrying???
Ok, then if so!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Boo! no fun. What ever happened to a good old fashioned bar fight... :cry:

Mort looks to Kormak hoping he will hear the mans words and either calm down or take Victor outside.

Kormak taking a swing to Victors jaw halts in mid punch. Shrugs then continues the punch. :lol: CN he doesn't care.

Return to “B2/B5 Guido Wiedig's Keep on the Borderland & the Hills of Horror & Chaos”