Chapter 4: Into the Fire

PyroArrow
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Into the Fire

#21 Post by PyroArrow »

Ok, as Gus, climbs down & creeps over to his left towards the Cave Entrance, he waves, Trindon to follow him down. As Gus approaches the entrance various small rocks loose rocks at his feet make some noises.

As Trindon, starts to climb down Boc, grabs him & says in a hushed voice,
"Let Rondoel & I go down, we need to check for prints, first, before Gus tramples over them."

Trindon obliges, & Rondoel followed by Boc, make their way over to Gus, trying to get him to pause, but not before Gus had already poked his head into the cave from it's left side.

As Rondoel & Boc reach Gus, who stays put after seeing Rondoel & Boc signaling him to hold up, Gus mentions in a hush whisper that the cave looks normal around the entrance where the sunlight reaches in but gets dark near the back.

Gus then moves over to the left to let Rondoel & Boc, study the ground around the entrance, however neither can see any prints or other signs of passage, as if perhaps it has been smoothed over.

Trindon meanwhile has climbed down & moved to Gus' side as the other two were studying the ground by the cave entrance.

It is about 7:35 am now.

I will, of course, need a marching order for going into the cave!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

just ignore me.... obviously I don't have the full story for one. I was trying to play out what I understood to be the tension of the relationship between gus and strom. Plus the leadership battle and wanting to get a task done.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Dizlexus »

GreyWolfVT wrote:just ignore me.... obviously I don't have the full story for one. I was trying to play out what I understood to be the tension of the relationship between gus and strom. Plus the leadership battle and wanting to get a task done.
Gus has no leadership ambitions -- no tension there. Gus is bossy this morning. But that is only his mood. He just don't like Paladins and Cavaliers because ya'll stand for ideas he thinks are useless.

I'm trying to get the party in without a nasty surprise.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

imswayze
Tracker
Tracker

#24 Post by imswayze »

Good roleplay in the character conflict regard, but don't roleplay us into a trap! I only got 6 hps to burn man!! :lol: and an AC of 10

GreyWolfVT

#25 Post by GreyWolfVT »

As I said my bad... I was doing alright until we got all the party back now I'm slipping up. I'll just wait outside the cave. Not in it.

Edit: Strombrow does not storm into the cave. He does however go over near the cave and will act as an outside lookout and signal the others that are not at the caves if the "scouts" going into the cave come running like hell back out.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by PyroArrow »

Ok, Let's get the Story Straight here:

I assume the entire party has now climbed down & is hugging the hill to the left of the cave entrance.

Gus says to Oddrick in a hushed tone, "We will discover evidence once inside. I bet ya. I'll make a Hobgoblin sing like a bird once I find one."

Gus will enter the cave to the point where darkness encloses him - - so infravision kicks-in.

His 1st order of business, to see if anything awaits.

Gus enters with bow in hand and arrow knocked. He stays away from the center, of the ground, staying near the left-side of the cave wall, in case he can preserve prints for the rangers.

Move Silently (30%)
[1d100] = 75

His footsteps make crunching noise from various pebbles.

He has asked that Trindon have a torch and tinder box at the ready and follow about 10 feet behind.

He suggests that Trindon come with him.

Gus gets no more than 5 feet in when he hears someone come in behind him, turns his head & sees Stormbrow enter the cave in all his armor and lack of infravision.

Strombrow leads on to the cave not caring for Gus trying to act like the leader & not wanting to wait around all day for the Thief. "If anyone else is going to get this done the I suggest you follow me."

"Go get it, superhero", Gus says.

"Grey Wolf, Gus is being the party thief. This is supposta be his job."

Strombrow, swings his sword at Gus. :P

Gus leaves the Cave post haste, looking for a rock to hide behind but sees none big enough to do so.

Stormbrow comes back out of the cave.

Boc curses internally as Gus and Stormbrow feel it necessary to tromp all over the place, ruining any chance to search for prints... ;)

Boc, hunched close to the ground to spot for tracks, motions to Rondoel, "Do we continue in or check the other entrances? This one has either not seen movement for some time or they are concealing their tracks, I don't know why they would think to do so though..."

Durgan remains with the rest of the group, scanning the canyon and other cave entrances.

Stormbrow & Gus contine their discussion in hushed tones, as Stormbrow picks his nose.

The other party members wait around nervously to see what becomes of the exchange.

Finally Gus, heads back into the cave, his 1st order of business, to see if anything awaits, waving Trindon to follow.

Gus, tells Trindon to stay 10 feet back, Gus is wanting to go in deep enough so his infra-vision kicks in.

Gus enters with bow in hand and arrow knocked. He stays away from the center of the ground, staying near the Cave's left wall, in case he can preserve prints for the rangers.

Trindon's default distance is 10' behind Gus. He has a javelin in both hands, and a torch in his javelin quiver w/ the flint and steel in his most reachable belt pouch. He is in creeper mode.

Stormbrow, goes over near the cave and will act as an outside lookout and signal the others that are not at the caves if the "scouts" going into the cave come running like hell back out.

Garbonzo has his bow wielded with 'one in the chamber.' He is as close to the entrance to the cave as possible, near Stormbrow, without disturbing the trackers' tracking of footprints. He will be at the front of the party behind the scouts, and will not take no for an answer. If his friend is scouting, G. has his back.

Trindon to Garbonzo: "Hope Gus doesn't catch a fireball in the face?!"

Trindon Hear Noise: [1d100] = 56 :cry:

Trindon strains his ears to pick up anything, but detects nothing ususal.

The Rangers then the rest of the party stay right behind Stormbrow & Garbonzo as Gus & Trindon creep inside.

The Cave Entrance:
Gus gets to about 12 feet into the caves when a heavy, weighted net suspended from the ceiling drops upon the intruders, metal pieces tied to this net create a clanging alarm sound!

This net entangles both Gus & Trindon!

Gus, had seen just prior that there are passages branching both left & right from his spot, as well as continues forward, he had just reached the intersection when the heavy net ensnared Trindon & himself!

Ok Adventurers state your Actions/Dialog!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Dizlexus »

Clem

Clem hears a crow's call from inside the cave and he says to the others: "That means trouble. We had better hurry."

Clem dashes in.
All GMs are evil.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Dizlexus »

Gus

Wants free of the net.

Dex check, Str check? What do I do here?
I was about to check for traps once out of the sun light, ug.

I argue that Trindon would not have been in the room yet at 10 ft behind me and should not be in the net.
All GMs are evil.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by PyroArrow »

Gus & Trindon just state what you are doing to free yourselves from the tarred net.
I will let you know when/if each of you get out of the net.

Clem comes running in & sees that a heavy tarred net has dropped upon Gus & Trindon.

Note: I will be deleting all the posts, stating actions for the Cave Entrance & leaving up the condensed, more coherent post of it all, to save space & reduce confusion.

Player's Map of Cave #2:

Player:

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow despite his differences with Gus will attempt to cut the net to free the two trapped under it. "Hold still so I can cut you both free. Unless you want to loose an appendage."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by PyroArrow »

Ok, i have Clem helping Trindon & Stormbrow helping Gus get out of the tarred netting.

What are the rest of the party going to do???

Player:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Pulpatoon »

Odderick rushes in to see if he can help with the netting. "Would it help if I pried it up with my halberd?"Odderick loves his halberd. It's like a swiss army knife, if swiss army knives were 8 feet long.

Linos also rushes in, but stands just past the net trap, facing inward, morningstar at the ready.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Dizlexus »

Clem and Gus

Clem
suggests rolling the net like a carpet to get Trindon out. Trindon should not have much net on him being 10 feet behind Gus. He should be near the edge of the net barely in the entry.

Clem says to Oddrick, Linos and Stormbrow, "There will be an attack any moment. Be ready."

Gus
A long strand of profanities flow from Gus as he tries to cut a Gus sized hole in the net. "Damn it Stormbrow, this is what happens when you distract the trap seekers!"

Gus falsely blames Stormbrow, but Gus knows he should have checked for traps before going into the dark.
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow stops helping with the net and readies for battle looks to Gus "Sure well have fun in there, I won't distract you any further."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Nordbo »

If it isn't all crowded, and Luna is so near the cave entrance rim that he can peer inside and start using infravision, he'll do so to see if any lurking entities can be spotted further in that obviously don't belong to the party, while cutting away at the net with his tiny petite little dagger - if he can reach. If not, he'll just remain, blinking frantically near the entrance.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by PyroArrow »

Map of Player Positions:
Ok, this is a map of the current player positions in & outside the Cave!
The Net is 18 ft x 10 ft

Pulpatoon i changed Linos' position!

UPDATED: 4/19/2014 at 8:07pm!

Player:

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Dizlexus »

awesome pics on the map
All GMs are evil.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by Dizlexus »

Clem

Clem starts to mutter prayer. He moves toward Gus and begins to roll-up the net like a carpet -- from the corner toward Gus.

It looks like Oddrick and Luna will help Trindon.

Clem says to Stormbrow, Cousin! Muster the men at arms. Get in formation. An attack is imminent.

Gus strings more profanities together.
I LOVE the map!
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow goes and gets the others "Form the positions, battle is forthcoming. We need to be strong, we need to be ready. So lets go and form up." he then strides back to Clem and forms up ahead near Linos.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Nordbo »

Luna: "Like the twitching tentacles of Twyrr - my sling will of course back up Trindon" and loads a bullet.

Return to “B2/B5 Guido Wiedig's Keep on the Borderland & the Hills of Horror & Chaos”