Just a question!

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Just a question!

#1 Post by Tomcat42 »

Didn't know where else to post this. I was curious as to whether any games here have been organized for parallel play (i.e. a game for the traditional PC group and the same game from the other end, i.e. the traditional NPC group(s) that might be encountered)? What comes to mind would be the basic dungeon delve with the 'heroes' on one side and the 'villains' (i.e. a group of orcs, goblins, etc.) tasked with protecting their lair from invaders.

If anyone has either participated in or administered this type of game, what were the results and did it prove to be entertaining for both player groups?

Thanks!
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Just a question!

#2 Post by Alethan »

Hasn't been done on this forum, as far as I know.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Do you mean something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1924
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1678
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Do you mean something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1924
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1678
Ah, I didn't realize that second game was done in competition with the first party! Cool.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Tomcat42 »

Ah, thanks! It does appear it has been done (or is underway). A little different than what I had in mind but it does seem to pit 2 opposing teams against each other in one game. Thanks again!
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

Hi tomcat, I just got around to seeing this. I DM the War is Hell campaigns referenced here, the Fellowship of Law vs. Coalition of Chaos. It's early stage still, the parties have not crossed paths. There are certain challenges in PbP. Making both campaigns private, then doing a merged public with private threads and PMs seems the most viable appoach. The shared world, different perspectives on the same issues, and player reactions make it interesting for the DM. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Tomcat42 »

Grognardsw wrote:Hi tomcat, I just got around to seeing this. I DM the War is Hell campaigns referenced here, the Fellowship of Law vs. Coalition of Chaos. It's early stage still, the parties have not crossed paths. There are certain challenges in PbP. Making both campaigns private, then doing a merged public with private threads and PMs seems the most viable appoach. The shared world, different perspectives on the same issues, and player reactions make it interesting for the DM. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Grog - your campaign far surpasses the stray thought I'd had earlier on this. My idea (hardly original) was a basic dungeon delve with the opposing party basically rolling up a group of evil humanoids to repel the main 'heroic' group. Basically it would resemble the 'reverse dungeon' idea previously published and the 'evil' group would either alternate their pool, depending on dungeon level, or continually harass the heroes (if they weren't totally outclassed as is often the case).

Your campaign should prove very interesting (at least as long as the evil party's campaign 'glue' holds out!). I may give my idea a shot sometime down the road (as soon as I'm more comfortable with this format and my scheduling). Thanks.

Return to “General RPG discussion”