Shadowdark

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shadowdark

#1 Post by Marullus »

Hey all,

There's been talk on this site about the development of Shadowdark RPG for the past few years - it really does hit a good balance for OSR gaming with simplified rules but also not just being a Moldvey retroclone. I've been very impressed and Kelsey has been very receptive to inputs during testing. I know others are following the development as well.

They finally put it out on Kickstarter and it has shot up to just shy of ONE MILLION dollars raised.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... escription

There's still time to back, and I recommend it. I expect several of the GMs on this site will pick up and run sessions with it (*cough* @dmw71). I recommend taking a look now. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Shadowdark

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:23 pm They finally put it out on Kickstarter and it has shot up to just shy of ONE MILLION dollars raised.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... escription
As of the time of this writing, she's sitting at $992,135 with 7 says left. I'm thinking/hoping she'll make it past the $1M mark as... wow, that will be quite the (well-deserved) accomplishment.
Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:23 pm I expect several of the GMs on this site will pick up and run sessions with it (*cough* @dmw71).
:lol:

I've actually been casually preparing for my next game (which isn't Shadowdark), but I'm sure, at some point, I will definitely give the system a proper run here in the forums. I did play a session with Kelsey as the DM, and it was a lot of fun. (Even though my first two rolls were both natural 1's! :lol: )
One Hour, One Torch 2 - Roll20 Roll Log.jpg
One Hour, One Torch 2 - Roll20 Roll Log.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

You roll like me, LOL

I should probably back this only because if you run it I am going to end up trying to get into the game.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Revenant »

I backed it. What I read appealed to me so I took the plunge.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:15 pm You roll like me, LOL

I should probably back this only because if you run it I am going to end up trying to get into the game.
It’s definitely worth backing, but she offers the rules in beta for free, which probably won’t differ too much from the final rules (minus the art).
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Revenant wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:44 am I backed it. What I read appealed to me so I took the plunge.
You won’t be disappointed.

Worst case, you do, but end up essentially making a donation to a really awesome content creator.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Pledged. We shall see.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by hedgeknight »

Backed it and can't wait to get it!
So...um...Dave...when are you running it? :D
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:37 pmSo...um...Dave...when are you running it?
Shadowdark is a really nice rule set which is easy to play/run. It should work well in a play-by-post format, too.

So, someday. But I’ve been casually working on an AD&D game (weighted towards 2e) for quite a while now, so that is the next game I’m planning to run.

That said, I’m really hesitant to start anything until I start receiving notifications again.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ybn1197 »

Count in as well. I picked up the Quickstart shortly after it came out and have been looking forward to playing this.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Just looked through the quickstart and I'm certainly interested and will keep an eye out for when a game arrives at US.

Odin One Eye
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Odin One Eye »

I would be interested in playing this game!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Urson »

I'm not one to pledge into Kickstarters- but this looks like a good and worthy project.
FA FO

Odin One Eye
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Odin One Eye »

i donated.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:28 pmShadowdark is a really nice rule set which is easy to play/run. It should work well in a play-by-post format, too.
Actually, this part... I'm not sure about.

The game uses real game time to track torch light. I'm sure there's a way to come up with some system (tracking turns instead of actual time), but the use of real time to create time pressure is a big part of the Shadowdark game that can't be easily translated into the play-by-post format. The rest of the game, though, should be quite simple.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#16 Post by Scott308 »

I don't know if you are aware, but Kelsey is running two sessions of Shadowdark at Gamehole in October.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:16 am I don't know if you are aware, but Kelsey is running two sessions of Shadowdark at Gamehole in October.
i thought I saw she was going to be attending, but didn’t know she was running two games. I’m guessing they’ll fill up during the early VIP sales.

I’m still undecided whether I’m going to make my second trip up there this year, but maybe. I’d like to.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Yeah, most likely. She has five seats in each game, and I think they are in 11 and 18 wish lists. She's also doing a couple seminars which will not sell out.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by beniliusbob »

I’m interested in trying Shadowdark as well. If there’s still interest, I’d be happy to run a game here using the Quickstart rules and the free adventure that comes with them (Citadel of the Scarlet Minotaur).

As dmw pointed out, some hacking would be required for Shadowdark to run in PBP, but I don’t think there’s anything insurmountable.

I’d be thinking a posting rate of every other day/three times a week, GM rolls except for spicy stuff (like death related rolls), rules as written as much as possible to test the mechanics, with four to six players.

Let me know what you think!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by shaidar »

I'd be interested.

As for posting rate, what I've seen work well in other games is set 'update days', e.g. Sunday, Tuesday, friday. If someone doesn't post their player action in time for the next update the game moves on. Just a thought.
Last edited by shaidar on Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Looking for players or games”