Re: Dark Fantasy Podcast: Tale of The Manticore

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Edit: Moved from the original topic which exists in the 'Introductions and welcomes' forum.

I did a search on "podcast" and stumbled upon this post (which I apparently replied to, but didn't remember doing).

I am obsessed with this 'Tale of the Manticore' podcast! (Proof) It is so good!

So, Jon, if you ever do check back into the forums here... you definitely have a fan.

In fact, it is the inspiration I've drawn from this 'Tale of the Manticore' audio drama that led me to conduct the above-mentioned "podcast" search to begin with.

My probably too-ambitious plan involves attempting to do something similar... but live! I absolutely trust that Jon is being truthful in all his roles, but I always feel like it would be so cool if I could see the rolls actually being made.

Hence the "live" part.

I've been struggling with the "how" for a while now, but recently saw a Tweet from Kelsey of The Arcane Library about her obsession with a different solo RPG live play show: Me, Myself & Die.

I've watched the first 6.5 minutes or so of the first episode and I've seen the host use at least five different camera angles.

That is too much for me and involves a lot of audio/video editing which I have zero experience with. But, I did see two perspectives that might work if I decide to give this project a shot and go with this method.

I'm just not sure which of the two would work best for my purposes.

The two shots:
  1. Over the shoulder (Note: First seen at the 3:25 mark.)
    Over the shoulder, right.png
    Over the shoulder, right.png (592.28 KiB) Viewed 354 times
    ---
  2. Overhead (Note: First seen at the 3:31 mark.)
    Overhead.png
    Overhead.png (815.82 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Again, the primary purpose of camera placement will be to show the rolls. It will secondarily be to show any maps, notes, character sheet updates, etc... made while the game progresses.

Any thoughts or preferences between the two?
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#2 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:31 pm...I did see two perspectives that might work if I decide to give this project a shot and go with this method.
What is being done to show/present the game in 'Me, Myself & Die' is really cool... but it's still not exactly what I had in mind.

My preference will be to share my screen while running the game live on Roll20.

I prefer this Roll20 method for many reasons, not the least of which include:
  1. Die rolling
    This is the main draw.

As a (planned) solo game, it will rely heavily on random tables, which can have macros built against them.

Plus, Roll20 will be able to automate a lot of the game, which will be really important in a live game to avoid unnecessary lulls. I'm sure there are more, but there are two channels in particular that I follow which will really help in this regard:
    1. Nick Olivo has a really great YouTube channel on using Roll20, and I'm confident I will be able to use a lot of his tips and suggestions to automate a lot of the randomness.

---
    2. Grasen Jobsent also has some pretty advanced videos on using Roll20 to its fullest.
    ---
  2. Character sheets
    I do know Jon posts character sheets and updates to his blog, which is great. It's just not always easy to locate the particular post for the episode you're on when you're not following along with the current. Which I'm not... yet.

---
  3. Maps
    I love using dynamically lit maps! I am not sure how I would be able to integrate a previously made and prepared map into a live-play game driven by random results, but I'm optimistic I can think of a way.

Even if not, an overview map of the general campaign setting (this is the 'world-building' project I've mentioned a few times recently) can definitely be put to use.

The two channels above share a lot of details on using maps as well.

---
  4. Subscription
    Plus, this will allow me to actually take advantage of my paid Roll20 subscription, which is otherwise just a waste now that I'm not running a game on here since I only used it for the maps.

I'm pretty sure, to go this route, I will need to invest some time in learning how to use OBS... which I kind of dread, and would explain why I've been stalling on pursuing this goal more ambitiously.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

I haven't started it yet, but I did discover the 'Solo D&D rpg' playlist where the creator discusses running a solo game on Roll20.

I will need to check it out later, but wanted to capture it here in this thread since it might prove to be helpful.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:27 pm I will need to check it out later, but wanted to capture it here in this thread since it might prove to be helpful.
Okay, the first video in the playlist is really cool!

It shouldn't be too difficult to get set up, either.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “General RPG discussion”