Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: Into the Wilderness

#1 Post by Marullus »

Music and Ambiance: Avenge the Fallen

Prologue: The Feast Begins
There is an excitement in the village as the final preparations are made, the steaming food coming out to the tables. The harvest is done, food stored for the coming winter from hunted meats, stored root vegetables, and canned fruits gathered from the Mercy of Freya, as the nearby forest is called. The ghostly white bark of birch trees naked of their leaves surround the town of Jonnamot, the occasional pine standing evergreen among them. The first day of winter marks when the day shortens to only one-third light, each long night lasting twice as long as the illumination of the sun. In the face of the long darkness of winter, it is the way of the people to bring light and feasting to deny its power, strength in its opposition.

The feeling is tinged in fear and worry, the niggling whisper in the mind whose fingers cling to the edge of each thought and word, the efforts to expel it with good feeling not quite successful for most this year. The harvest was leaner this year, the Mercy of Freya yielding little for the town, ill omens found instead. The stars say today is the first day of winter, the day to begin the Hunt, to face the long darkness of winter. But the winter comes earlier and earlier - the ground has been frozen for a full week already, the first snows the day before, bringing the deep cold out of the north. It feels more and more like it could be the Black Winter, the unholy cold of Hel. The Kunning say their seidrs kept Black Winter at bay, but the Bear King broke them when the grandfathers were young. Some in the village still say it was right, to dispel their heresy and call upon Asgard, others now harbor regret for the sundering and slaughter. Such thoughts often lead to blows once people are deep enough in their cups... the Mithal do like to fight.

Today, at least, the weather has warmed to just above freezing, a great bonfire burns in the center of Jonnamot, lending warmth and light to the entire town square, melting the thin layer of snow that still coats the further roofs. The village boasts a sizeable population - almost 300 men, women, and children - living in the cottages and longhouses that surround the town square in a semi-circle on its northern side. The town has the honor of hosting the Festival for all of Trinity, however, and for all the young men and women wishing to prove themselves in the Hunt, to join the warbands. The west side of the square is a large three-story half-timber building, the Valley Rest Inn, where all the hopefuls and the guests from the other two towns of Trinity are staying for the festival day. A building of equivelent size sits opposite on the east side, the headman's house of Grey Eyed Boe and his wife Hungerd, the headman's wife looking about to burst as she waddles with child. The headman's house boasts the meeting hall for town business and at its rear the paddock where several horses munch their bales of hay. Southwest from the town square is the town's small market - boasting Hallkatla Durinsdottir's small hammersmith, the Crumbles Bakery, where Hroar's pastries are famous among the towns of Trinity particularly its berrydough speciality, a roofed but doorless temple to Freyja which is stacked with offerings in honor of the holiday, and small, open altars to Skadi, Thor, Odin, and Tyr.

Skirfir Uvaldi arrived just before the snow, the dwarven smith accepted and welcomed among the townsfolk as she set herself to work aiding Hallkatla at the smithy. Hallkatla has worked the smithy alone for the last five years, caring for her sickly parents since her father gave up the hammer. The presence of the dwarven artisan has kept a steady stream of work into Hallkatla's grateful shop. Vakar, arrived from Pineheim and has been residing in the Inn, awaiting the Hunt. He is sharing drinks with Birger at a table, the grizzled warband member hazing him loudly. "So, you sure you are enough for the warband?" says Birger, grinning as he eyes the young man's coastal Vestri features, "Anyone can stand inside a town's walls... the warband is tougher than that! You're deep in the dark mountains now, boy. The warband doesn't wait in the walls, it goes on the Hunt! You willing to take the fight to the dangers out there? In the winter? At night? THAT is the Warband!" He salutes with his tankard and slams it down on the table for emphasis.

Everyone wanders the town square and Inn, eating and drinking. Children are playing with wooden axes, swords, and shields, trying to showcase their talents to both parents and village. A small crowd has gathered around two young women fighting, each with saex and shield, the crowd cheering them on and taking bets on which one is going to win. Joyful music can be heard from inside the inn, a young lady and her two boys playing and singing. Outside, games of skill stand at the edges of the square, the townsfolk overseeing each providing suspense and drawing attention with drumbeats from a wide stretched-skin drumhead as the contests occur. Hungerd stays on a stool at the front of her home on the east side of the square greeting guests from the other towns, one hand on her stomach.
Grey Eyed Boe wanders amongst the hopeful contenders for the warband hunt within the Inn.

Welcome to Jonnamot! Being play-by-post, we'll condense this to be more narrative - write yourself in and feel free to add color. I'll try to reply daily this week to help iterrate through the prologue scene and help you immerse before we move to further action.
  • Place yourself in the scene. Get in character, explore how your character fits themself here in advance of the Hunt event. Are you arriving today? Have you spent a few days here? Are you native to this town? The Hunt is a ceremonial coming-of-age challenge and you'll leave town at dusk in winter. How do they deal with fear and anticipation?
  • Interact with at least two other PCs. Are you meeting for the first time? Have you met earlier, here or in another town on the way here?
  • How do you conduct yourself in the games and feast? What do you partake in?
    • Feasting: There's tables laden with meats, cheeses, breads, and the last fresh fruits both in the town square and within the Inn.
      The headsman also has provided casks of brewed ale for the occasion, and the tavern is serving hot, spiced cider.
    • Tightrope Walking. Two people face off on separate ropes, balancing and crossing. They roll a contested Acrobatics check against each other - below a DC 12 you fall off, otherwise the higher check wins.
    • Axe Throwing. Targets are set up to the side of the Town Square at 20 feet for contestants to throw handaxes at five empty glass bottles. Anyone who its three or more bottles wins (Attack rolls vs AC 14).
    • Follow the Coin. On a table within the Inn Hroar the baker encourages a game with three of his mixing bowls. You must risk 1sp and try to guess which bowl it is under after he finishes moving them around. If you guess right, he gives you 1gp. (You may win up to 5gp.)
      Roll a Perception check vs DC 17.
    • Stick. Two contestants are each given a warhammer and they try to hit a tall split-oak post as hard as they can. Whomever drives it further into the ground wins. (Roll a damage roll. Roll 1d10 damage, 1d10+STR bonus if you're proficient in warhammer or martial weapons.)

EnvironmentInitiative OrderEffects in Play
Time: Mid-day (12:00 noon)
Date: The First Day of Winter (Nov. 1st)
Temperature is 34-37 F the full day.
Clouds are 65-100%, with morning flurries. ('moderate snow' total a quarter inch)
None. Twilight at 4:40pm (dim light)
Night at 5:35pm (darkness)

> Enoch as Valdís | Female | Kuning | Seiꝺr (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11 | AC: 15 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No
> Unsungknot as Doshea Ulfgar | Female | Mithal | Alle [Paladin] (1) | HD (1d10): 1 | HP: 11 | AC: 17 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No
> sastaz as Vakar the Disowned | Male | Vestri | Rogue (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11 | AC: 13 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No
> Spearmint as 'Stig' Stigandr | Male | Mithal | Barbarian (1) | HD (1d12): 1 | HP: 15 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No
> Rex as Skirfir Uvaldi | Female | Dvergr (Stoneborn)| Gothi (Smidr) (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 10 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes
> Stirling as Ralfwin Edwinsen | Male | Mithal | Gothi | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11 | AC: 16 | Current Speed: ??? | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Into the Wilderness

#2 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

Skirfir finishes up helping at the smithy for the day and heads out to enjoy the festival. "Enjoy the festival Hallkatla."

She first gets herself some spiced cider and enjoys it as she wanders and people watches.

First she tries her hand at axe throwing. She is pretty happy with herself after hitting 3, one perfectly. Turning to a Vestri who was watching (Vakar), "Did you see that, it is why my folk are famous with axes." she says with a chuckle.
Throwing axe (vs 14) [1d20+3]=18+3=21 [1d20+3]=7+3=10 [1d20+3]=18+3=21 [1d20+3]=4+3=7 [1d20+3]=20+3=23

Moving along she tries the Stick next. Her blow doesn't land solidly and she looks disappointed. Looking at a Kuning maid standing nearby (Valdis), "The post is set to high, not fair to those of us a bit on the shorter side."
Warhammer [1d10+2]=4+2=6

Mystery roll [_2d20]=(14+12)=26
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Of average height despite his 6'ft plus 1 inch stature, a lithe athletic body honed upon the mountain sides and under the anvil chores. He arrives in the Trinity fresh from the other side of the Shadowlow Mtns and his home town of Belmunt. After securing lodging in the Valley Rest he delivers the sacks he has carried with him to the local forge. Nuggets of bog iron ore, excavated off the exposed Steppe furrows.

The barbarians trawl the region plundered the earth's resources, crafting themselves implements of iron and supplying raw material for other local craftsmen. I would imagine his father, a Gothi under a Smidr domain might know the longstanding artisans of other village forges.

"My Father's greetings, he hopes to find you and your kin well." he says to Hallkatla. He tries not to stare at their blue-tinged skin. He probably fails miserably but figures the Dvergr are used to such inadvertent attention.

"Two ladies at the forge, are no able men about?", it is a jest rather than critique as he notices Skirfir assisting too. "We shall be replaced soon, especially if you excel in the sports, hunting, feasting, fighting."

He watches later as the diminutive cleric hacks a trio of targets. He fancies himself to make a bold show ...

Stigandr festival axe throwing: [1d20+3]=2+3=5[1d20+3]=2+3=5[1d20+3]=14+3=17[1d20+3]=14+3=17[1d20+3]=5+3=8

"Ah, Gods truth, give me a bear up close not bauble dangling on a string far away. I swear the wind made it topple a little so I missed."

He tries not to be a sore loser, berating himself.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"Greetings. No need to worry about replacement, we each have a place in things, great and small."

As she watches Stigandr throw, "Not bad, hitting 3 is not so easy, I can see you have some skill."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:28 pm The barbarians trawl the region plundered the earth's resources, crafting themselves implements of iron and supplying raw material for other local craftsmen. I would imagine his father, a Gothi under a Smidr domain might know the longstanding artisans of other village forges.

"My Father's greetings, he hopes to find you and your kin well." he says to Hallkatla. He tries not to stare at their blue-tinged skin. He probably fails miserably but figures the Dvergr are used to such inadvertent attention.
Hallkatla 01.png
Hallkatla 01.png (386.08 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Stig is indeed familiar with local Mithal smithies and drops off his bog iron to Hallkatla. She was a young apprentice the last time he was through, and seeing her managing the shop alone is a surprise, as is her being a woman grown.

Hallkatla brushes her thick blonde hair behind both ears as she looks down for a moment at Stig's boots before she meets his eyes and smiles. "Greetings from my father to yours. Mine no longer rises from bed, and has set aside his hammer. Do you... do you come for the trials, then?"

The presence of Skirfir the dvergr is also new, but the discussions in town quickly identify her as a new arrival and also a Gothi like your father.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr

"To test my strength. Of course ... and my Father would confess I have tested his patience enough and I no longer wish to be coddled under apron strings despite my Mother's plead. I have seventeen years now not twelve and look, I took this bear myself last summer's thaw and wear his skin as my vest. Though the tailoring is a bit ragged."

He shows off his minor victory and hard won scar from the bear's claw, which he wears around his neck. "My Father has hopes the Hunt will hammer me into shape and I come back as a sharpened blade not a tent peg."

He has yet to really define his personal ambitions. Acceptance into a war-party would go a long way to shaping his destiny.

"Father's. We aim to make them so proud. I am sure yours rests in peace knowing his reputation flows through you." he answers Hallkatla and takes her leave.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sastaz »

Marullus wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:43 pm Vakar, arrived from Pineheim and has been residing in the Inn, awaiting the Hunt. He is sharing drinks with Birger at a table, the grizzled warband member hazing him loudly. "So, you sure you are enough for the warband?" says Birger, grinning as he eyes the young man's coastal Vestri features, "Anyone can stand inside a town's walls... the warband is tougher than that! You're deep in the dark mountains now, boy. The warband doesn't wait in the walls, it goes on the Hunt! You willing to take the fight to the dangers out there? In the winter? At night? THAT is the Warband!" He salutes with his tankard and slams it down on the table for emphasis.
Vakar watches the display from Birger with a sly look on his face.

"Ah, but you are mistaken my friend. First of all, I have been living in these lands for as long as I can remember. Second, the hunt is not about reaching the frontline of the battle first, but about surviving longer than your enemy. In fact, the enemy needs not to know you're there in the first place. Bellowing is perhaps good for morale, or I'd imagine, but it's also certain to draw attention. And poisoned arrows. And I'll leave that to you and your kin" he says, smiling and raising his tankard in a toast to the warrior.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I will go see what all of these feats of strength outside are all about."

He exits the Inn.

Mystery roll: [1d20]=19, [1d20]=12
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sastaz »

Rex wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:12 pm First she tries her hand at axe throwing. She is pretty happy with herself after hitting 3, one perfectly. Turning to a Vestri who was watching (Vakar), "Did you see that, it is why my folk are famous with axes." she says with a chuckle.
After having witnessed the dvergr's display with both axe and stick, he approaches.

"Yes, so I've heard. And it seems the rumors are true as well. Always safer if you can bring down your enemy at a distance, if you ask me."

His eyes remains fixed on the horizon for a few more seconds, causing something of an uncomfortable pause in the coversation. He the turns his focus back.

"So, tell me, what makes a dvergr join a warband anyway?

He seems quite relaxed, actually, not tense, as you'd expect from a man about to set out together with a group of strangers for almost certain death.

Mystery roll: [1d20]=20, [1d20]=15
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Skirfir
sastaz wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:43 pm
Rex wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:12 pm First she tries her hand at axe throwing. She is pretty happy with herself after hitting 3, one perfectly. Turning to a Vestri who was watching (Vakar), "Did you see that, it is why my folk are famous with axes." she says with a chuckle.
After having witnessed the dvergr's display with both axe and stick, he approaches.

"Yes, so I've heard. And it seems the rumors are true as well. Always safer if you can bring down your enemy at a distance, if you ask me."

His eyes remains fixed on the horizon for a few more seconds, causing something of an uncomfortable pause in the coversation. He the turns his focus back.

"So, tell me, what makes a dvergr join a warband anyway?

He seems quite relaxed, actually, not tense, as you'd expect from a man about to set out together with a group of strangers for almost certain death.

Mystery roll: [1d20]=20, [1d20]=15

"That I am not sure of as I haven't yet decided I will be joining. I am a traveler and as such it is always best to know how to take care of yourself. As it happens I am here as the trial begins, perhaps it is meant I participate or perhaps just to fix some broken shields, we shall see. I am Skirfir by the way, does the war band bring you here?"
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sastaz »

Vakar suddenly looks a bit sad.

"I am Vakar. And alas, I am here of my own free will. I really have nowhere left to go. And I won't lie to you - although I want to help these people against the approaching darkness of Hel, I also have selfish reasons. Members of the war bands are respected, and rewarded. The gods willing, I will help, but also be rewarded. So, we were both brought here by fate, it seems. A pleasure meeting you Skirfir. May your axe fall true."

He reaches out to shake her hand.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

Skirfir takes his hand/arm. "Good to meet you as well Vakar. May your trials go well."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 pm"Father's. We aim to make them so proud. I am sure yours rests in peace knowing his reputation flows through you." he answers Hallkatla and takes her leave.
Hallkatla smiles and chuckles warmly, wishing Stig good luck with the trials. At his final words she responds, "Oh, he has not died.
He just no longer can rise from his bed. You may pay him your father's respects at the house before you depart... if you depart?"
she trails off, a question, and lets him leave.
sastaz wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:35 pm Vakar watches the display from Birger with a sly look on his face.

"Ah, but you are mistaken my friend. First of all, I have been living in these lands for as long as I can remember. Second, the hunt is not about reaching the frontline of the battle first, but about surviving longer than your enemy. In fact, the enemy needs not to know you're there in the first place. Bellowing is perhaps good for morale, or I'd imagine, but it's also certain to draw attention. And poisoned arrows. And I'll leave that to you and your kin" he says, smiling and raising his tankard in a toast to the warrior.
(Used your first mystery roll to be a successful Persuasion test.)
Birger blinks a moment at Vakar's response. Then the beefy warrior exclaims, "HA!" and slaps the lad on the back. "HA!
Perhaps there's mettle in you, boy!"
He grins, showing all his large, square teeth. "I will hope for your survival." He winks.
Rex wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:55 pm "That I am not sure of as I haven't yet decided I will be joining. I am a traveler and as such it is always best to know how to take care of yourself. As it happens I am here as the trial begins, perhaps it is meant I participate or perhaps just to fix some broken shields, we shall see. I am Skirfir by the way, does the war band bring you here?"[/dialog]
The blue-skinned smith absently scratches the braid-and-gold ring on his finger.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr
You may pay him your father's respects at the house before you depart... if you depart?
"I will and I will, if Thor wills."

He replies to the invitation and question. Not everyone is 'Chosen' to go but he determined to prove his mettle. Knowing few folk in the villages he mingles on the fringe of the group's, happy enough to take an ale and warm himself by a hearth alone. Is that Ralfwin? He catches a glimpse of someone he might have known but then the person gets lost in the crowds.

Stigandr: Perception check: [1d20+3]=12+3=15

He wanders, interested in this Grey-Eyed Boe . Ale in hand and perhaps some toffee apples on a stick, he goes to loiter near the Longhouse, studying the horses in the stable and the men who accompany the chief. Are they jovial, worried, arguing between themselves?
Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

Arriving in town that same morning, Doshea enjoyed the smells as the feast was prepared, and watched the bustle of activity, offering help where ever needed. Excitement for the coming festivities and hunt making her heart beat fast. Seeing the alter to Thor, she quickly grabs an ale and heads over, she gives a small silent prayer before setting the ale before the alter and leaving, assuring him she would do him proud in the games. She stuffs a small pastry in her mouth and rolls her eyes, the taste is incredible and the dough the perfect combination of flaky on top but firm on the bottom. She then sets several small pastries on a plate with some meats before heading over to Hungerd, "Greetings my lady, you look about to burst, may your child be strong and healthy as Thor! When my mother was with child with my little brother she was hungry at all hours. Would you like a pastry or perhaps something heartier?" Doshea offers the roasted meat and pastry to Hungerd.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Enoch »

Valdís wanders, wide-eyed, through the fair, stopping occasionally to sample some treat from the feast. She is still licking the juices of a bit of roasted meat off her fingertips when a blue-skinned dwarf lowers the head of a heavy hammer to the ground and speaks to her. She blinks in surprise and responds.

"I suppose that's true. I'm not sure I could even raise that hammer, much less win any prizes with it. You didn't do too badly with it, though. What brings you to Jonnamot?"

As they speak, she eyes the baker curiously, watching as the baker swirls the mixing bowls over the rough surface of the table. With a half-smile, she produces a coin from her pouch and heads over to the baker, holding it out. Change is made and tucked back into her pouch. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes for a moment, just long enough for the baker to make a sound of impatience. She opens her eyes, serene, as the bowls begin moving again.

Active Perception: [1d20+6]=7+6=13

She frowns as he lifts her chosen bowl. There's nothing underneath. With a small sigh, she wanders on.

Soon she spots her new dvergr friend in conversation with a young Vestri man and sidles up hesitantly. Finally she murmurs, half to herself, "so many Mithal about." Turning to Vestri, she asks "what's this about a warband?"

Mystery roll: [1d20]=15
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Enoch wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:19 pm Valdís wanders, wide-eyed, through the fair, stopping occasionally to sample some treat from the feast. She is still licking the juices of a bit of roasted meat off her fingertips when a blue-skinned dwarf lowers the head of a heavy hammer to the ground and speaks to her. She blinks in surprise and responds.

"I suppose that's true. I'm not sure I could even raise that hammer, much less win any prizes with it. You didn't do too badly with it, though. What brings you to Jonnamot?"

Mystery roll: [1d20]=15
Skirfir

"I am searching for my destiny, seems like more wandering at times. Mostly I help out at the local smithy's but I am getting close, I can feel it."
Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

Catching site of the axe throwing from the corner of her eye, Doshea lets out an excited yell before handing the plate over to Hungerd and stating hastily, “Forgive me, I must try my hand at that game!” She heads quickly to the axe throwing, a grin splitting across her face before she turns back and yells a quick, “Have a good day,” to Hungerd. She waits, hopping from foot to foot, for her turn.

Axe Throwing (vs 14) [1d20+5]=11; [1d20+5]=21; [1d20+5]=19; [1d20+5]=24; [1d20+5]=16; [1d20+5]=25
With her first throw Doshea misses and scowls at the bottles, her look promising no more misses. As her next axe shatters a bottle she laughs lightly, and with each of her following axes shatters a bottle she lets out a triumphant hoot of laughter, each one successively louder than the previous. When her final axe finds its target her hoot of laughter is more akin to a boisterous yell, she turns away from the game with a large grin on her face.

As she scans the area looking for more games, she spots Skirfir, her eyes go wide and a friendly smile spreads across her face. Hoping to make a new friend she heads over to say hello.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Unsungknot wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:05 amShe stuffs a small pastry in her mouth and rolls her eyes, the taste is incredible and the dough the perfect combination of flaky on top but firm on the bottom. She then sets several small pastries on a plate with some meats before heading over to Hungerd, "Greetings my lady, you look about to burst, may your child be strong and healthy as Thor! When my mother was with child with my little brother she was hungry at all hours. Would you like a pastry or perhaps something heartier?" Doshea offers the roasted meat and pastry to Hungerd.
Spearmint wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:59 amHe wanders, interested in this Grey-Eyed Boe . Ale in hand and perhaps some toffee apples on a stick, he goes to loiter near the Longhouse, studying the horses in the stable and the men who accompany the chief. Are they jovial, worried, arguing between themselves?
Hungerd accepts the proffered plate of food graciously and gratefully from Doshea offering the young woman a warm smile. Her left hand balances the plate on her round belly as she looks over the newcomer, her expression sad and tired today as she rests on her stool. "Your mother must have done well, to produce a kind and generous heart in you. You seek the trials? I will pray for your safe return." Grey-Eyed Boe approaches, pausing to offer a grateful smile as well as he checks on his wife, a gentle hand on her shoulder. Contrary to his initimidating appearance, the headman looks gentle and fatherly as he speaks in quiet tones to Hungerd, eliciting the same sad smile from her as you received in return. Rudolf a stout, grey-bearded dvergr known to be the sage in the town, opens the door of the headman's longhouse and steps out, waving the headman inside. Grey-Eyed Boe excuses himself and heads in the door. Stig loiters behind Hungerd, near the longhouse door, listening to the other older men. Most seem in relatively good spirits with the festival, but each tinged with worry. He hears one of the men whisper, "This time, the warbands don't stand a chance..." but he is cut off by his fellow.

Over at the Inn, the innkeeper Sorli stops by the table where Valdis, Vakar, and Skirfir talk amongst themselves, inquiring how they like the food and if they've had enough drink. Hearing their inquiry about "what is the hunt," the middle-aged barkeep scratches deep scar that covers the entirety of his left cheek and chimes in. "Tonight, Jonnamot has the honor to host the big event - so big we might even all it legendary - the Day of the Hunt. I know we have hosted many times before, but this time, it is different," he lowers his tone, speaking to them earnestly. "This time, for the first time in history, we start the struggle afraid of famine, disease, and unearthly creatures..." Sorli breaths deeply before he continues. "The forest, it has never failed to provide before. The blessings of Freya here are known far and wide. Her blessings help us thrive, while this land might otherwise be called inhospitable." He pauses, pondering his own words, and takes up three tankards from the table. Finding one still half-full, he quaffs it himself, then looks over the three of them. "I pray the Gods have summoned brave hearts," he nods to to the trio, "We expect great things from you, from all who aspire tonight, maybe we expect too much but..." he pauses again, a wince on his face, a pause. Above his head, you see a raven feather drifting down towards him, onto your table. "If we manage to please almighty Freyja with your hunt, your names will always be remembered in songs and in tales. We will never forget you."

Out on the southern edge of the square, a woman screams at the top of her lungs. Sorli stops his rambling and rushes out to help. Ralfwin is there, a witness to a young man caught under a cart as it rolled unexpectedly, crushing his legs beneath its iron-bound wheel. Ten men struggle to shift the wagon laden with wood and pelts to free him. The wagon finally shifts and the young man is pulled free, an old woman stepping in to examine his crushed legs. The sharp eyes of Valdis spy something odd - a dead raven overlooked under the corner of the cart. The raven is clearly abnormal - one eye hanging from its socket, feathers clumped with ichor and stuck to one another, its flesh defiled with several day's rot even as it still shudders with movement.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Enoch »

Valdís turns at her place on the bench at the innkeeper's voice. "The food is very fine, thank you. A bit...richer...than I am used to, but I'm amazed at how much of it there is.

"The Hunt,"
she says, clearly capitalizing it as the innkeeper did. "I was told to come here because there was a coming-of-age ceremony, but nothing more. I suppose this must be it." The young girl tugs fretfully at one of her braids as she looks around at the milling throng. Suddenly she looks the innkeeper directly in the eyes for the first time. "As for the forest, we have seen the same. Our elders have not discussed it with us, but I know they fear it. The return of the Black Winter. This is already one of the worst since the High Seidr Council was slaughtered.

"It makes me wonder if Fimbulvetr is beginning."

She trails off as her attention is arrested by a single raven feather, drifting down toward the table. Her hands grip the edge of the trestle, her knuckles white. Her reverie is broken by a woman's scream, and she follows the innkeeper out onto the town square, grabbing her distaff from atop her pack which sits beside her. Even as she rushes to the stricken boy, pulling at the flax and weaving it, one-handed, in a complex pattern, her eyes are on the cart, not the boy.

Only as she kneels beside the young man's ruined legs does she turn her full attention to him. She lays the patterned fibers over his wounds and cries out to her ancestors as they begin to glow with a pale green light, and his wounds begin to close.

As the light fades from the flax, she straightens and stalks toward the cart to examine the raven.

Animal Handling: [1d20+6]=2+6=8

Casting healing word. Healing Word: [1d4+4]=4+4=8
Mystery roll: Mystery roll: [1d20]=5

Playing toward personality trait:
I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

Doshea smiles at Hungerd "Indeed, my mother is a wonderful woman." She notes the sadness in Hungerd's eyes when Gray Eyed Boe speaks softly with her, not wanting to pry she lets out a shout and heads over to the axes.

When she is done throwing axes and on her way to the inn where she spied a dverger heading a bit earlier she hears a scream and runs toward it. Seeing a group of men struggling with a cart which has crushed the legs of another man, she looks to see where she can help and helps to pull the man free when the others shift the cart's weight off his legs. She watches as Valdis' magic goes to work, healing the man's legs, and pats him on his shoulder, "Good thing a skilled healer is attending the festivities friend." She looks at the old woman who had approached and asks, "Is there somewhere we should take him?"

While Doshea listens to the old woman, her eyes are on Valdis as she approaches the cart, wary the cart may still be unsteady.

Mystery Roll [2], [11]
Last edited by Unsungknot on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”