OOC Discussion

#1 Post by Marullus »

Discuss OOC things here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#2 Post by Rex »

Still thinking about what I am going to run. Maybe it would help if we posted a list here of what people are running so far.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

They're on that in the Creation Discussion thread. ;)
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sastaz »

Actually, where do you all get the rules? Did you kickstart? Purchased PDFs? Borrowed from a friend? Is there some kind of free version?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

I downloaded a free Svilland flipbook as a PDF to store as a document on my phone.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:40 pm I'm going to adopt the "creative action" rules from this post.

Any creative action you want to do in combat, or which an enemy wants to do to you, will be described by the person acting. On a successful to-hit roll, and after the damage roll, the affected character can describe if he accepts the creative outcome (and no damage) or resists the creative outcome (and takes the damage).

This applies to any desired outcome that is not damage and is not otherwise covered in the rules.

For example:
* Shoving someone prone, grappling, etc. already have a ruleset that uses Athletics instead of the attack roll, and that's fine.
* Causing a condition until the end of your next turn (throwing sand in the eyes, concussing them in the head, etc) is a good example of a creative action.
Any thoughts?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

The creative action looks good to me.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Enoch »

I know most character options are limited to the PHB/Svilland books. Does that apply to spells as well?
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

I consider anything from other sources to be a special request. I'll approve them individually, with a critical eye to how well they fit in a Norse setting. (So, present a justification for Norse-ness when you ask.)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

...and welcome to Unsungknot!
Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by Unsungknot »

Howdy everybody!! Excited to be here 😁 I haven’t used this forum before so please excuse the stream of silly questions as I navigate my way around 😊 I also haven’t played in Svilland before so this should be fun!!!
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Unsungknot!
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sastaz »

Welcome!! :)
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Enoch »

Marullus wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:44 pm I consider anything from other sources to be a special request. I'll approve them individually, with a critical eye to how well they fit in a Norse setting. (So, present a justification for Norse-ness when you ask.)
Looking at the spell list for Druid, I'm not seeing much that excites me for this concept beyond the PHB. However, TCoE presents an optional expansion of spell lists. For the Druid, that expanded list really fits the flavor of the Seidr, even when you limit it to the PHB options.
https://norse-mythology.org/concepts/seidr/ wrote:There were seiðr rituals for divination and clairvoyance; for seeking out the hidden, both in the secrets of the mind and in physical locations; for healing the sick; for bringing good luck; for controlling the weather; for calling game animals and fish. Importantly, it could also be used for the opposite of these things – to curse an individual or an enterprise; to blight the land and make it barren; to induce illness; to tell false futures and thus to set their recipients on a road to disaster; to injure, maim and kill, in domestic disputes and especially in battle.[4]
PHB spells added to the Druid by the TCoE rule are (through 4th level, as I don't expect to see 5th level spells):
  1. Protection from Evil and Good
  2. Augury, Continual Flame, Enlarge/Reduce
  3. Aura of Vitality, Elemental Weapon, Revivify
  4. Divination, Fire Shield
If that's too broad, I would be willing to limit it to healing and divination spells: Augury, Aura of Vitality, Revivify, Divination.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

I think those are almost all solid; TCoE generally fixes problems with classes and I think it does so here.

The only one I question is Enlarge/Reduce. That ability is certainly on-point for divine powers of Asgardians who use it throughout the legends as well as with Jotuns, and Dvergr, so it does fit the setting. I'm uneasy about it as a Seidr spell that is the effect of an Ancestor Spirit coming to your aid.

Other's thoughts?

Spells are pretty important as the Seidr class shifts significantly towards spell-use compared to a Druid class. Do the new Seidr spells scratch an itch?
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Enoch »

I'm fine with leaving Enlarge/Reduce for others. I suspect that it was included so that druids could make giant cats (like in Castle of Llyr), but it's not very Norse.

The seidr spells are interesting and thematic, but frequently underpowered and/or niche:

1st level:
  • Crippling Spirits: single-target STR ST or move at half speed. Seems like a really weak entangle, which is also a 1st-level spell.
  • Spirit Light: reveals nearby spirits. It also reveals you to the spirits. It doesn't let you interact with them in any way, however. Useful if you're fighting invisible spirits and can hurt them if you can see them, I guess? Does half of what faerie fire does, but doesn't require concentration and lasts an hour. I'm really confused by the inclusion of this spell, as exactly zero of the spirits in this book are invisible (they're all visible even when they're on the Ethereal Plane).
2nd level:
  • Owner of the Spirits: basically an undead-specific command, but lasts up to a minute. If you're expecting to face undead, this could be a very useful spell.
  • Reveal the Dreams: reveal the deepest desires/fears of a nearby target. Kind of strange, as repeated failed saves increase how far back you can search, though it's not really clear what that means. Pretty niche, but unique- I don't think something like charm person would induce someone to tell you their deepest desires or fears.
  • Soul Scream: AoE fear. Interesting, as it requires you to be in the midst of enemies (and away from allies) for full effect. Likely to be a panic button, rather than something planned around, because if a squishy caster is surrounded by enemies rather than allies, things have probably gone horribly wrong.
  • Weeping Spirit: Con ST each round or take 1d4 necrotic and be blinded until next turn. Blinded is great against a single powerful foe, but Con is likely to be a good save for them. Would be funny on a beholder, though.
3rd level:
  • Emanating Soul: healing aura. Haven't checked how it stacks up against similar spells.
  • Instinct: can't be surprised; Advantage on Perception checks. It only lasts a minute, and if you're confident enough that you're about to be ambushed that you'll cast a 3rd-level spell, you're probably not going to be surprised anyway.
  • Line of Revelation: reveal invisible/incorporeal creatures that cross a line. Seems like a desperation move if you think you're going to be attacked by creatures you can't see. As with spirit light, I don't think there are any invisible creatures in this campaign setting. Maybe it expects a lot of monsters from outside the campaign setting?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Interesting. Yes, let's add the TCoE spells to the Druid list (except Enlarge). It will be interesting to see how the Seidr shakes out.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

It is an interesting looking class. Much will depend on how this adventurer plays out I think.
Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Unsungknot »

How do I look at/navigate to my private dashboard? Also, how do I associate a campaign with my dice rolls? I went to the Unseen Servant Dice Roller and registered and logged in but when I click on campaigns it doesn't show anything and when I go to roll the dice it has a drop down under character but nothing listed underneath. Again, sorry for the simple questions guys, this is my first time on here.

Edit: Ignore the private dashboard question, it just popped up.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

When you go to the dice roller...
* Go to the Character tab
* Click the Create a Character link
* It lets you type a character name and then asks for the Campaign ID, where you type 1000 for this game
* Click Submit

You then will have a character, and when you go to the Roll the Dice tab it will let you choose the character from the dropdown. This associates all rolls both to you and also to the game.

On the Characters tab, you can also make Macros, which will give you common die rolls for your character with a single click in the roller. The Search button will show all rolls from your character. You don't need to use the Character Sheet there (it is made for 1st/2nd edition or OSR) because we're using a 5e format here in the private forums instead. The Campaigns tab is to make Campaigns (i.e. run new games) so you don't need it.

For roll syntax, you put it in brackets for simple rolls. For example, "Roll to Hit with Advantage [1d20][1d20]"

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”