Chapter 5: Harvest of Death

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Chapter 5: Harvest of Death

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Later That Same Evening...
Kaerin and Baron Sherlane return to talk to the adventurers. Kaerin's face is slightly flushed and he looks very happy. Sherlane has a patient smile on his face, but when they meet the you their expressions become more serious. It is Sherlane who does the talking now. His voice is authoritative and commanding. Taking the title of Baron you should be aware that Sherlane is powerful, wise, and someone of importance, although you will not know exactly what position he holds in the land as yet.

Baron Sherlane "I think I should first explain the importance of this household. Kaerin is the son-adopted, to be sure-of Kavorquian the wizard. That old man was the brother of Lord Arturus Penhaligon, who died some four years ago. It is his daughter, Lady Arteris, who is the ruler of the Estates of Penhaligon
and directly responsible to Duke Stefan Karameikos himself. I am, shall we say, an old family friend. The note you brought from Aralic is fairly cryptic, but it makes sense now that we have Kavorquian's notebook."

The Baron hands the letter/note from Aralic to Kavorquian, the group to read.

Dear Kavorquian:

I must tell you of an unsettling happening. Recently a young warrior rode into our village, badly injured and beyond my ability to heal. But his life was not what concerned him; he was desperate to give me a message, which he begged me to pass on to you. He raved of Penhaligon 's nemesis-a dark queen who promised a harvest of death in the land. She's a madwoman who is drawing together forces of Chaos in her citadel. "Magic and madness bring forth cold steel and blood," he said with his last breath. Do you know this queen? Does this nemesis, this "harvest," mean anything to you? That poor young man died in the belief that it would.

Ever yours,
Aralic

Baron Sherlane then continues after each has read the letter. "The queen referred to in the note you brought is known to me. Her name is Ilyana, and she is a fighter of some merit. She is intensely Chaotic, and a vicious and evil person. She is also the illegitimate daughter of the old Lord Arturus. It is clear that Ilyana is raising a force to attack Penhaligon itself. Although she is illegitimate, only Arteris stands between her and the rightful claim to the rulership of the estates. Kaerin, being adopted, would not have a claim. If she should take the estates, Duke Stefan might have to accept her claim. If he did, the place would be ruled by chaos and evil. If he did not and took the estates back by force, many other local rulers would say that the duke feels free to overthrow anything whose rulership he does not care for. Either way, the result would be bad for the land. And the duke has much else to worry about. Further, I do not think you will be safe here . The killers you overcame must have friends; they had an agent in this very house. You must leave and go to the last place on earth these people would expect you to go to the keep of this self-styled "queen," Ilyana, to strike a crippling blow at her there. She cannot yet have raised a large force-but it will grow with each passing week. You can accomplish much if you have the bravery and strength. A larger force would be seen too early; surprise would be lost. A capable, small group could use hit-and-run tactics, striking a blow and retreating, returning and striking again, finally overcoming this evil woman and bringing peace to the land. If you do not, there will be war and you will not be safe wherever you go. The enemy knows you now."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5: Harvest of Death

#2 Post by PyroArrow »

Therick Ulrazor: Sylvan Elf - Magic-User - Evoker - AC 10 - Hit Points: 8 / 8

Therick says, "Kaerin and Baron Sherlane, if I may borrow the two found spellbooks for a time as to copy them into mine, the spells would be most helpful in eliminating this rising evil threat to the peace of the realm."
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kaerin nods his head "Keep them I've no need for spell books."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by PyroArrow »

Therick says, "Alright and Thank you Kaerin."
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Egon

"yes, I will help. Could you help us identify what is magical among this stuff? I feel we may need all the help we can get."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Cwreando »

Trist

Trist asks, “I too would like to scribe spell from the books if possible.”

Seemingly talking to no one Trist says,
“I know Jivet be patient my dear.”
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Elanriel

Elanriel is sad to see Urtesi depart. After Delsenora, he was perhaps the closest she had come to a friend here.

She is also puzzled, for to her there is a sense of things suddenly clicking into place. The threat of evil that had lurked beneath the surface all this time, niggling her from the start. It must stem from this Ilyana and her power. This was what had drawn Elanriel here; perhaps what had drawn all of them. She looked around at her remaining companions, her gaze lingering longest on Delsenora. I am part of this quest, she accepts, for somehow it is meant to be.

She leans in closer to her best friend and whispers determinedly, "Del, thith ith what I thpoke to you about. I'm thure of it. I believe fathing thith evil ith what we were drawn here for."

Link to earlier exchange between Elanriel and Delsenora, for reference: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=448732#p448732

Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by Rhonin84 »

Captain Kinkajou wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm Elanriel

Elanriel is sad to see Urtesi depart. After Delsenora, he was perhaps the closest she had come to a friend here.

She is also puzzled, for to her there is a sense of things suddenly clicking into place. The threat of evil that had lurked beneath the surface all this time, niggling her from the start. It must stem from this Ilyana and her power. This was what had drawn Elanriel here; perhaps what had drawn all of them. She looked around at her remaining companions, her gaze lingering longest on Delsenora. I am part of this quest, she accepts, for somehow it is meant to be.

She leans in closer to her best friend and whispers determinedly, "Del, thith ith what I thpoke to you about. I'm thure of it. I believe fathing thith evil ith what we were drawn here for."

Link to earlier exchange between Elanriel and Delsenora, for reference: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=448732#p448732
Nodding and smiling, "Perhaps my friend, I have found in my dedication to my Lady that I follow her will."Smiling genuinely, "I tend to dance to the tune she plays."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by PyroArrow »

Therick says to Trist, "Sure, ok, you can copy whatever spells you need."

Player:

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

Rex wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:12 am Egon

"yes, I will help. Could you help us identify what is magical among this stuff? I feel we may need all the help we can get."
Weston

My friend is correct sir. While we are capable of determining which items we found are magical, any help in determining their function would be greatly appreciated. Such items would improve the chances of law prevailing over chaos and placing this evil magic under appropriate control. "

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Baron Sherlane and Kaerin look a bit puzzled "Well neither of us is a wizard like Kavorquian was. I suppose we might be able to get one of the local ones to detect magic on the things you have brought back with you."

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Xlore

Standing in the back the high elf listened to Baron Sherlane, Kaerin, and the rest of his companions discuss the matters at had. An illegitimate heir to the estates bent on bloodshed and chaos... This is interesting. thought Xlore as he rubbed a slender finger against his pointed chin as in deep thought. His ears pricked as the group discussed magical items and quickly came to attention.

Xlore clears his throat "pardon me but maybe there's a person or shop nearby that specializes in identifying in magical items, would you have any recommendations?" said Xlore politely.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Egon

"That would be helpful, thanks."

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Baron Sherlane thinks for a moment "Well Kavoquian was the local wizard, trying to think I don't know where any apprentices of his went off to. But seem to recall a wandering mage was coming through he may still have his wagon around here. I'll have a servant go search the square.
he signals one on Kaerin's servants over and has them go off into town knowing it is late he has a guard go with them. After about an hour they return with a fellow looking a bit the part of a wizard, and a wagon parked just outside with a couple mules hooked up to it.

The younger man is wearing robes and a wide brimmed hat holding a rune looking stone tablet in hand, some pouches strapped to his belt and a scroll sticking out of one side and a big pack on his back he enters and bows to the Baron and Kaerin, then to you all and introduces himself "I am Fizbam at your service." sounding a little like a stage actor name he asks "How might I help?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Egon

"Hello Fizbam, I was wondering if you could help us determine if any of these items are magical?"

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fizbam looks at the collection of things, does something with the tablet glowing of magic around his hands and the tablet then he picks a few of the items and moves them off by themselves.

1x Ring (from bad mage)
1x Footman's mace (from bad cleric)
1x Dwarven plate armor (found in armory)
1x blue elven boots (From chest #1)
1x wand (From chest #1)
1x sling (From chest #1)
1x long sword (From chest #1)
1x Medium Shield (from enemy fighter)
1x light crossbow (from the weapons room)

"Those are the only things of the items you found that have a magical aura. Everything else is not magical." he declares. "Now about my payment?" he asks looking at some of the gems you have found.

1x small aquamarine gem found in bath robe (Bathroom Rm #13)
3x red-orange gems (Small Study #14)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Egon

"Fair enough, handing the gems over."

Egon will look over the magic items and see if anything stands out that might help identify what they do. He will also see if the plate will fit him.

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Xlore

"Any magical items in particular that you don't want, I would gladly use for myself." said Xlore with a grin across his face.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Egon

"I think everyone should get something, maybe what helps them the most. If I wear this plate armor you will have to be the point person Xlore."

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Xlore

The High Elf looks at Egon with a smirk on his face. "Alright, fair enough, I have claim to the long sword if no one wants it." continued Xlore as he ran a slender hand through his pale hair and looked at the rest of the items being curated by the wizard.

Return to “Archive”