INTRO: Meeting with the Council

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: INTRO: The Council of Saltmarsh

#121 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:Doubtful

What? Why on earth would we leave out that one of our group was murdered after being sent on this mission by the council?
Tortuga

What is not to understand?

Do you think us council members sent you out there thinking that someone would get hurt? Or worse yet, killed? NO! Of course we didn't. We were simply trying to appease the folks around here that were complaining about the old house. We most certainly didn't think it was anything all that dangerous. You guys uncovering a smuggling ring is not what we were expecting in the least.

Now, I am a hardened man that knows the threats that can occur out there in the real world. The rest of the council.......not so much.

Are you starting to get my meaning here? I am 100% sure that our mayor would never forgive himself if he knew that he sent one of you to your deaths. Believe me, it is best for you to keep that tragedy to yourselves, especially if you want to return to finish the job that you started. The council will be far more likely to let you go back if they don't know that someone was killed.

Why don't you tell me everything that happened in there and I will do what I can for you without having to reveal any of this nasty business about murder.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#122 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hey!

Slim!

I'm talking to you!

Was your friend that was killed from around these parts? I don't remember ever seeing him before. And what of the other two? There were ten of you total, no?

I'd like some answers here if you please! Don't forget your place now, or mine.
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by coil23 »

I wouldn't forget my place, and certainly not yours. Slim, yes, that's what my mother called me- brings back memories. Our friend who had something unmentionable done to him was not from around here, you're right. The other two are not able to be with us for this meeting since we decided we needed eyes in multiple places at once in order to complete the mission assigned to us by the entire council. So those two assured us they are following up on leads while we came back to report in before heading back out. I think we need a lot of different brains to figure all this out so let's get in there so we can discuss matters with the entire council. Good counsel, Tortuga, as always. Slim thanks you.

Looking around to the group, shall we, everyone? Let's not keep the council waiting.

Doubtful starts toward the council building doors and tut tuts the others while herding them inside.
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

The novice cleric quickly catches up with Doubtful before he reaches the Council doors. Keilif gently places his hand on Doubful's shoulder and speaks quietly, "Master Doubtful, I fear your suspicions concerning Tortuga may be unfounded. I have know him my whole life, and Tortuga has helped out my uncle, Darn, many times in the past. Tortuga is a good man, this I can vouch for".
Last edited by Mant72 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly says nothing. Instead he waits to see what Doubtful and Keilif determine to be the best course of action.
Winter is coming...
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#126 Post by Fulci »

Jónas Gillman, weird dude

"I trust Tortuga too... Of course, not talking about Ermulf's death is strange, strange... but, then again, the Council is strange, strange too! Who knows how they might react."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Again, speaking only to our group: I remain suspicious but do you want me to stay silent on Ermulf's murder in the meeting then? And though it may gain us little to nothing I want to maintain the pretense of our other two missing members actually being off and pursuing leads. That tidbit may cause pause at a point when our safety depends upon it. And, yes, I realize that one of those two is likely to be seen strolling about town and munching on fish chips.

I thought one of the two members who left the party would not be going back to live in town which is why I thought this may have a payoff as a ruse. Am I wrong on this?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#128 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Are you asking me that? :lol:

You didn't really know either of the missing members. You know that Danny told you that he was going back to town and you have no idea where Vhing actually is. The last time that you saw him was when he was trying to get over the back wall.

Tortuga looks at Ben and shakes his head. He then nods at Keilif and Jonas, the other 2 members that he knows. He rolls his eyes and heads into the back door of the Town Hall.

Suit yerself if you don't want my help then, Slim.
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by Fulci »

Fulci wrote:Jónas Gillman, weird dude

"I trust Tortuga too... Of course, not talking about Ermulf's death is strange, strange... but, then again, the Council is strange, strange too! Who knows how they might react."
His uncle's advice on this matter also echoes in his head.
coil23 wrote:And though it may gain us little to nothing I want to maintain the pretense of our other two missing members actually being off and pursuing leads. That tidbit may cause pause at a point when our safety depends upon it. And, yes, I realize that one of those two is likely to be seen strolling about town and munching on fish chips.
"If it comes up, we can say that, but let's not lie if nobody asks about it! I bet the Council doesn't even remember the exact number of volunteers they sent off to a death trap!"
G A M E S :

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

I agree. Sound advice.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis

Shuffles his feet and adjusts his belt getting frustrated with all this.

Why would we lie or not tell them, they need to assist in properly arming us so we can take care of the situation. they need to know that this is serious why would they arm us if we did not tell them of the danger. Besides all this waiting around is taking up time we could be using to delivering the brigands to justice one way or another, let's get this started.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#132 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If anyone wants to add anything or make another comment before the meeting, now is the time.

I will write up the intro and will probably start posting the meetings details sometime tomorrow.

Real good stuff so far, everyone. I like the way this game is rolling a lot better now. Keep up the good work in the private business threads as well. :D
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"Yes, let us not be outright deceptive, for Shileil frowns upon such behavior. I agree with Jónas. Let us not offer up the information unless specifically asked."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: INTRO: Meeting with the Council

#134 Post by hedgeknight »

"Agreed, if they don't ask, we won't tell them." Burly says, giving Jonas a nod.
"Say, have any of you local fellows heard of a woman named Ezmerelda? I hear she is giving magic lessons for beginners."
Winter is coming...
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by Fulci »

Jónas Gillman

Jónas thinks about their missing comrades... and notices another absence!
"Wait, friends, where is that loud-mouthed, battle-crazy Vhing? We've last seen him trapped on the patio..."
hedgeknight wrote:"Say, have any of you local fellows heard of a woman named Ezmerelda? I hear she is giving magic lessons for beginners."
This catches Jónas' attention:
"Magic lessons for beginners? That sounds interesting! I haven't heard of her so far... Is it safe?"
G A M E S :

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by wolfpack »

Jervis

I thought Vingh fled the house over the back wall before we encountered the Ned character
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#137 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Yep, that was indeed the last time that you saw the weakened, half dead halforc. Maybe he joined up with the bad guys? :D
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#138 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the conversations continue, the tower bell begins to ring out, indicating the start of the meeting. You are all called over by the guard and ushered inside as the very first group to be seen. The rich merchants and nobles all look down their noses at you as your group passes them, wondering how it could be possible that your band of scruffy vagrants could have more important business than their own. They give the wheelbarrow toting Jervis the biggest stink eye.

The five council members are positioned just as they were at the last meeting. The Mayor speaks as you approach the bench where they are all seated.

Well hello gentlemen, I see that most of you have returned to tell us about what you have found out there? Tortuga has briefed us a little and I must say that your tale seems a might farfetched to me. He has also told us that a few of your group is still out gathering facts and keeping a lookout for these alleged smugglers? I must say that this is a most unusual strategy, but I guess I shouldn’t find it too odd, all things considered.

The mayor looks over to the gorgeous Juli as she begins reciting a holy prayer from memory, waving her perfect hands in the air a little. She then stares at the lot of you with a pleasant smile on her perfect face. She seems to be paying a lot more attention to Doubtful than she did at the last meeting.

Go ahead and tell us what you have found out there, guys. And please…..be honest about it. You can skip the tales of daring do and just stick to the facts for the time being, please. Our most obvious concern is what you found down below the house. If there is indeed a smuggling ring operating out of the place, we are going to have to do everything in our power to put a stop to it. We will need to know every detail of that encounter, if you please.

The council awaits your report.
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by coil23 »

Thanks, Tortuga. So much for discretion.

Doubtful nods solemnly at the council and clears his throat. Council members, we return with news. I hadn't realized that there would be a pre-briefing before we got here so I'm not sure what will be a repeat of what you have already heard. While we have not solved the mystery yet in its entirety, we felt we needed to report back what we know so far. There seems to be a group of smugglers operating out of that house. From the accommodations we estimate at least eleven smugglers. Happening across two individuals, we attempted to subdue them in order to ask questions but they fought so fiercely that their deaths were the only way to protect ourselves. Some of the contraband we discovered were fine fabrics and libations that you see here. That there is a smuggling ring actively working near your town is information we need to bring you. But the bloodthirsty and violent nature of its members is an immediate concern which is why we hurried back to report. We will continue with this mission but considering the increased danger that was not expected at the outset, we ask for provisions and supplies that we may finish this safely and be better prepared to get for you all the answers for you to evaluate.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before Doubtful begins to speak, the mayor nods to Tortuga who gets up and approaches you to take a closer look at the contraband that Jervis brought in.

I have not seen this type of goods in our ports Mr. Mayor. That tells me that it is coming in from somewhere else. This reeks of smuggling to me. I think these guys are really onto something here. Men like this are not good to have in or near your prospering town. We don't need Saltmarsh to turn into another coastal den for pirates and their ilk to rape and pillage to their hearts content.

This is just the beginning stages of that very thing happening here. This must be investigated further and stopped if it is indeed illegal activity.
Then Tortuga nods to Doubtful who begins his opening statements.....
coil23 wrote:Doubtful nods solemnly at the council and clears his throat. Council members, we return with news. I hadn't realized that there would be a pre-briefing before we got here so I'm not sure what will be a repeat of what you have already heard. While we have not solved the mystery yet in its entirety, we felt we needed to report back what we know so far. There seems to be a group of smugglers operating out of that house. From the accommodations we estimate at least eleven smugglers. Happening across two individuals, we attempted to subdue them in order to ask questions but they fought so fiercely that their deaths were the only way to protect ourselves. Some of the contraband we discovered were fine fabrics and libations that you see here. That there is a smuggling ring actively working near your town is information we need to bring you. But the bloodthirsty and violent nature of its members is an immediate concern which is why we hurried back to report. We will continue with this mission but considering the increased danger that was not expected at the outset, we ask for provisions and supplies that we may finish this safely and be better prepared to get for you all the answers for you to evaluate.
The honorable Mayor Everett Palmer is taken aback a bit by the new approach to these discussions. The last meeting with this group reminded him of a common bar scuffle, but now he is being spoken to by someone showing great poise, class, and, most importantly, respect.

His eyes actually bulge out a little during Doubtful's precise and well relayed statements. He looks over to the beautiful Jewels Hardy who nods her head slowly back at him.

His response:
Well sir, this is indeed grave news! You did well by bringing this directly, he shoots a glance towards Tortuga and then to Ben, well, almost directly to our attention. Of course, we had no idea that this endeavor would be so dangerous. If we did, we would not have sent untrained citizens such as yourselves.

So, you had to fight and even kill two of these men? Not hearing the specific details yet, I would dare to guess that they definitely know you were in there then? I would also guess that in turn takes the element of surprise out of our favor, yes?

Yet, your group is still willing to go back, risking your lives to put a stop to these possible illegal activities? Why?

Every one of you notices a serious change in the demeanor and feel of these new proceedings. The council seems to be taking this situation far more seriously than the last time that you met.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”