Chapter 1: Background & Introduction

PyroArrow
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: Background & Introduction

#1 Post by PyroArrow »

Adventure B2/B5 Guido’s Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos:

The Realm of Mankind is narrow & constricted. Always the forces of Horror & Chaos press upon it’s borders, seeking to enslave its populace, rape it’s riches & steal its treasures.
If it were not for a stout few, many in the Realm would indeed fall prey to the evil which surrounds them.

Yet, there are always certain exceptional & brave members of humanity, as well as similar individuals among its allies,
– Dwarves, elves, & haflings – who rise above the common level & join battle to stave off the darkness which would otherwise overwhelm the land.
Bold adventures from the Realm set off for the Borderlands to seek their fortune.

It is these adventurers who, provided they survive the challenge, carry the battle to the enemy.
Such adventurers meet the forces of Horror & Chaos in a testing ground where only the fittest will return to relate the tale.

Here these individuals will become skilled in their profession, be it fighter or magic-user, cleric or thief.
They will be tried in the fire of combat, those who return, hardened & more fit.

True, some few who do survive the process will turn from Law & Good & serve the masters of Chaos,
but most will remain faithful & ready to fight horror & chaos wherever it threatens to infect the Realm.

You are indeed members of that exceptional class, adventurers who have journeyed to Guido’s Keep on the Borderlands, in search of fame & fortune.
Of course you are inexperienced, but you have your skills & a heart that cries out for adventure.

You have it in you to become great, but you must gain experience & knowledge & greater skill.
There is much to learn, & you are willing & eager to be about it!

Each of you has come with everything which could possibly be given you to help.
Now you must fend for yourselves; your fate is in your hands, for better or worse.

Ahead, up the winding road, atop a sheer-walled mount of stone, looms the great Keep, founded 30 years ago by Lord Guido Macsen Wiedig.
Here at one of the civilation’s strongholds between good lands & bad, you will base yourselves & equip for forays against the wicked monsters who lurk in the wilds.

Somewhere nearby, amidst the dark forests & tangled fens, are the Cave of Chaos, while across the great mile-wide river Shrill, lies the Hill of Horror,
where fell creatures lie in wait.

All this you know, but before you dare adventure into such regions you must become acquainted with the other members of your group, for each life will depend upon the ability of the others to cooperate against the common foe.

Now, before you enter the grim fortress, is the time for introductions & an exchange of information, for fate seems to have decreed that you are to become
an adventurous band who must pass through many harrowing experiences together on the path which leads towards greatness.

You have traveled for many days, leaving the Realm & entering into the wilder area of the Borderlands. Farms & towns have become less frequent & travelers few.
The road has climbed higher as you enter the forested & mountainous country.

You now, turning from off the North road, move up a narrow, rocky track. A sheer wall of natural stone is on your left, the path falling away to a steep cliff on the right.
Even from the road, Guido’s Keep is an impressive sight: a mighty castle perched on a flat-topped Hill, with a path climbing steeply up beneath frowning guard towers until it reaches the main gate.

Crenelated battlements line the walls, offering plenty of cover for archers to attack any foe coming up the exposed path.
As you draw near, a clanging as of a great gong goes up from one of the towers that overlook the path – clearly your approach has been noticed.

You continue on your way, your back itching as you try not to think about deadly arrows suddenly being launched in your direction.

Following the curve of the path around to the side, you come to the great gate – a drawbridge flanked by 35-foot-high watchtowers.
The ground immediately outside the walls has been set with spikes & strewn with caltrops, making it very difficult to approach other than by the carefully watched path, upon which you now stand.

One of the Blue-Clad men-at-arms who guard the entrance, from the right-hand tower calls out: “HALT! Who goes there? Friend or foe?
All along the wall you see curious faces peering down at you – eager to welcome new champions of Law, but ready with crossbow & pole arm to give another sort of welcome to enemies.

Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Background & Introduction

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Odderick: "Friends! We're friendly! And fierce! Fierce... and, uh, doughty. Doughty warriors! Who would offer their swords to the, well, that is, I would offer my sword, I'm not really in a position to speak for Mister Okenfell, who is, you see that's the name of my companion, here, who, as I started out saying, is a friend, but that doesn't mean I should go about blithely obligating him to things he hasn't agreed to, right? But we'd offer, I think I can safely speak for both of us in this regard, offer our friendship to the Keep! Or, that is, it's inhabitants. Like you. And your bosses. And uhm, anyone who needs help... or... friendship?"

"Also, I'm Odderick Scribeson."

"Hi."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by PyroArrow »

Guard from the Right-hand Tower to Strombrow:

"What have you to say Mr. Okenfell?"
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow "Well my good man I am Strombrow Okenfell as you already know. I have this letter from my father that says I am to aid Lord Wiedig. My father also offers any supplies that are needed to tend to the troubles of this area."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by PyroArrow »

Guard from the Right-hand Tower to Strombrow:

Guard says to Odderick & Stormbrow:
Very well then.

To another Guard somewhere:
"Lower the drawbridge!

Odderick & Stormbrow watch as the drawbridge is lower with the creaks & groans of gears & chains,
until it finally comes to rest with a loud thud & cloud of dust on their side of the ravine.

Then the cast iron portcullis slowly rises, also creaking & groaning.

The fellows then proceed across the drawbridge & into the 20 feet long, 15 feet high, main entry hall where they see various murder holes on each side & above them in the stone work.

They come to a thick hardwood double-door door tied together with cast iron bands & cast iron hinges, with another cast iron portcullis before it.

The shutter at the back of a barred window in the right-hand door opens & a woman's face, scrutinizing the two fellows with a calm deliberation, peers out & says,

"Welcome to Kendall Keep."

She looks them both up & down, her eyes resting thoughtfully on their exposed weaponry.

She says, "I am Sabine, the Gatekeeper", she goes on,

"This is a peaceable place. We Do not like brawling in the streets, folks stabbed in the tavern, or anything like that."

"Keep your weapons sheathed within the walls & stay out of trouble & you will find the Keep a home away from home.

"Stir up trouble & you will wish you would have not come here. I guarantee it!"

"I suggest you fellows Peace-Bond your weapons first, then i will let you into the Keep."

Peace-Bonding is putting swords into scabbards, unstringing bows, tying hilts to the sheath or belt.

Sabine at the Gate:

Player:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Pulpatoon »

Odderick: "Oh. Yes. Right. Of course."

He flails around for a few seconds, trying to figure out how to peace-bond a halberd. He ends up grabbing a storage sack, shaking the last few oats out of it, and tying it over the head of his halberd.

"There. That should do, right?"

"Could you direct us towards some lodging? Something, ah, not too... that is, we don't, well, I don't, I mean, I didn't bring a lot of coin on this journey. So, somewhere inexpensive?"

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow "Perish the thought. I'd never stoop so low as to cause trouble. So I shall honor your rules." he ties the sword hilt to the scabbard and does as he is asked. "That aught to take care of that. Yes as my friend here has asked please might you direct us to the lodging of this splendid keep?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by PyroArrow »

Sabine the Gatekeeper says to Odderick & Stormbrow:

"There is an Inn where you fellows can stay & a Tavern to wine & dine in."

"Perhaps one of the stablehands will show you where they are."

After Sabine is satisfied that the two young fellows have secured their weapons she says,

"Alright then., & then closes the barred window in the door.

The fellows hear her bark orders to have the inner portcullis opened & the thick 15 feet high wooden doors opened.

As Odderick & Stormbrow step inside they first notice a common stable right across the way from them with a couple stable hands,
a young boy & girl, lingering outside.

They are then greeted by Sabine, whom the two note is an attractive physically fit lady in her 30's, wearing chainmail, carrying a shield & a sheathed long sword
at her left side, & her Scribe, whom the two fellows note is a lass in her mid-teens, wearing a robe & holding a wooden pad with a parchment attached to it.

Two Men-at-Arms in Plate Mail, with Pole-Arms are standing to either side of the ladies.

Sabine Says, "Gentlemen, this is my scribe Michelle, she will take down your names for our records."

As Michelle takes down their names, Sabine waves over the girl stablehand, whom she introduces as, Tella Rankin, & says that Tella will guide them to where the Inn & Tavern are.

Player:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Pulpatoon »

Odderick stammers to Michelle, "I'm Odderick Scribeson. On account of my parents. Being scribes."

He thanks Sabine, and Tella, and, just for good measure, Michelle.

"I think I'd like to drop my stuff off somewhere secure, first. Then, a meal would suit me nicely."

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strombrow "Don't mind Odderick he is not used to being around lovely young women. Thank you kindly I think a meal would be the thing the two of us could use the most at the moment. I appreciate you all doing such a great job."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by PyroArrow »

Tella Rankin says to the two fellows:

"Very well then, the food & lodging are right this way, please follow me, come along now."

As you all proceed & Tella points out various buildings, you notice the common warehouse, Rankin's armory/smithy, Various housing along the Keep's south wall, Moseley Bros. General Store,

Moseley's Trader Shop, Culpepper's Pawn shop/Bank & finally the Market Square with a fountain, the Green Man Inn to the right & the One-Eyed Cat Tavern just north of the Square.

Tella Rankin Says:
"Here you go Sirs, the One-Eyed Cat Tavern is straight ahead & a place to sleep, the Green Man Inn is right over there to your right."

Player:

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Stormbrow Okenfell:

Strombrow to Tella:
"I thank you but I think I should go meetup with my friend at the tavern. Before I go what is the best shop in the keep to look for armor and weapons?

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

Tella Rankin to Stormbrow & Odderick:

"You are Welcome Fellows!"

"That would be my father Rafe, if you are looking for brand new custom made armor or weapons or perhaps Quartermaster Moose Moseley's Trader Shop
will have what you seek, Sir.

With that Tella jogs back to the common stables.

Player:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Durgan Lightwater:

Durgan remains to the side of the road, hidden by the nearby forest, as he watches the introduction made by the two wanderers and the gate guards. Afterwards he makes his way to the gates and stops where the previous wanderers stopped, taking in his surroundings of the keep so far.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

"HALT! Who Goes there!", comes a voice from a Guard in the Right Hand Tower, a blue Clad Man-at-Arms.

Player:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Durgan looks towards the tower, looking for the man calling down; "I am Durgan, a traveling Druid. I seek answers, and to help where I can."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by PyroArrow »

Guard in tower says:

"Alright then. Lower the Drawbridge!"

You hear gears begin to crank & clacking chains as the drawbridge lowers & lands with a loud thud & puffs of dust onto the other side of the ravine, then the portcullis rises.

Durgan Lightwater then proceeds across the drawbridge & into the 20 feet long, 15 feet high, main entry hall where he sees various murder holes on each side & above them in the stone work.

He comes to a thick hardwood double-door door tied together with cast iron bands & cast iron hinges, with another cast iron portcullis before it.

The shutter at the back of a barred window in the right-hand door opens & a woman's face, scrutinizing the two fellows with a calm deliberation, peers out & says,

"Welcome to Kendall Keep."

She looks Durgan Lightwater both up & down, her eyes resting thoughtfully on his exposed weaponry.

She says, "I am Sabine, the Gatekeeper", she goes on,

"This is a peaceable place. We do not like brawling in the streets, folks stabbed in the tavern, or anything like that."

"Keep your weapons sheathed within the walls & stay out of trouble & you will find the Keep a home away from home.

"Stir up trouble & you will wish you would have not come here. I guarantee it!"

"I suggest you Peace-Bond your weapons first, then i will let you into the Keep."

Player:

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by PyroArrow »

Ok, that is pretty much all i need to fill in what disappeared on me!

Feel free to fluff up the above posts if you wish!

Player:

Return to “B2/B5 Guido Wiedig's Keep on the Borderland & the Hills of Horror & Chaos”