ENT: Exploring the watery cave

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: On the island: Exploring the northern trail

#61 Post by tkrexx »

Emm sees Bogdan strip nearly naked for his preparations into the deep. She had been worried about this from the beginning. At the last moment her own conservative nature makes the final decision to remain in her leather armor. Her shield, of course, must be left behind, as it will hinder her swimming, and she will keep her hand firmly on the haft of her familiar spear. Her scimitar she will try to hang over her back, hilt pointed toward her head. If this fails she will simply leave it ashore. She has often wondered about how being underwater might affect her mistletoe and oak leaves.

The chum may well be enough to keep the young crabs busy for the moment, but if not I have charms of Invisibility prepared for all of us. The charm lasts but little more than 10 minutes, so it might be a good reserve for our exit. And if we somehow overstay our deep visit, I have one Breathing Water enchantment, just in case.

At the rippling of water from the cave, Emm stiffens and grips her spear, recalling her other reserve spells.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Argennian »

OOC: Just wanted to cover off on a few placement detail clarifications here before moving forward with the upcoming action, gang.

Positioning
The watery cave is mostly circular with a flat floor, and is roughly 20 feet across and just under 8 feet from floor to ceiling at the entrance. It looks to continue mostly straight in (eastward) but the rocky, watery-floored passage does appear to taper down slightly on the sides and at the top, say to perhaps 15 feet wide by @ 6 feet tall another 20-25 feet in or so.

So we'll say that where Bogdan is standing, about 10 feet in from the entrance, it's going to be @ 18'W x 7'T in the center. The water does get slightly deeper as you travel in so we'll say it's right about 2 feet deep there.

Based on those dimensions, there's still plenty of room for someone to fight on each side Bog, if so desired. That would include being a clear fire lane for Caelvanna if she so desired, at least until melee is engaged. Emm can choose to fight from the second rank with her spear.

I don't want to assume where your character is here so please give me some specifics regarding positioning and we should be good to go. Since you all knew IC that the encounter was forthcoming, everyone easily has time to move to whatever position they wish here, so just let me know! :)

Marching Order
Based on your posts, I kind of showed you all entering the cave in the order I listed below.

Moving forward if I have that wrong, or you want to make a change at any time, just include positioning info and/or M.O. updates to your post and I'll notate that. Obviously not a big deal here as you see the trouble coming at present and can all move around and get set where you want. I'm thinking more of the times where you don't see the trouble coming! :twisted:

TOD: 7:35am of Day 6 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 18 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 28/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10 , Lauranna 9/9 ; Ulrich 16/16
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword/shield ; Caelvanna – short bow/short sword (arrows fired: 0) ; Emm – spear/SC ; Lauranna - short sword/SC ; Ulrich – mace/shield or SC (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location About 10 feet in from the entrance to the watery cave: Bogdan , Lauranna , Emm , Ulrich , Caelvanna

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:Emm sees Bogdan strip nearly naked for his preparations into the deep. She had been worried about this from the beginning. At the last moment her own conservative nature makes the final decision to remain in her leather armor. Her shield, of course, must be left behind, as it will hinder her swimming, and she will keep her hand firmly on the haft of her familiar spear. Her scimitar she will try to hang over her back, hilt pointed toward her head. If this fails she will simply leave it ashore. She has often wondered about how being underwater might affect her mistletoe and oak leaves.

The chum may well be enough to keep the young crabs busy for the moment, but if not I have charms of Invisibility prepared for all of us. The charm lasts but little more than 10 minutes, so it might be a good reserve for our exit. And if we somehow overstay our deep visit, I have one Breathing Water enchantment, just in case.

At the rippling of water from the cave, Emm stiffens and grips her spear, recalling her other reserve spells.

OOC: I think the rippling water happens before we even get to the hole, so Bog should still be in full armour...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Bog is good where you describe him, Argennian.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna moves in and slinks toward the left wall, not very confident her skills are going to keep her hidden from scent and infravision. She waits for the melee to be engaged.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by tkrexx »

Emm also is good, backing up Bog.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna, having covered the group as they made their way to the cave, creeps up behind them, propping her back against the northern wall of the entrance. At first sign of the emerging creature, she lets loose a series of arrows hoping to take advantage of the opportunity before melee ensues and marvels at her success.

Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21 [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20 [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4
Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:Caelvanna, having covered the group as they made their way to the cave, creeps up behind them, propping her back against the northern wall of the entrance. At first sign of the emerging creature, she lets loose a series of arrows hoping to take advantage of the opportunity before melee ensues and marvels at her success.

Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21 [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20 [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4
Short Bow (S: 0-50') [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
OOC: Niiiiiiice!!

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrich will take a position in the front, next to Bogdan, mace and shield at the ready.

OOC: If I understand correctly, this will still leave a clear shot for Caelvanna and allow Emm to attack from behind us with her spear. Right?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC: for Ulrich, Caelvanna & the party

#70 Post by Argennian »

SocraticLawyer wrote:... OOC: If I understand correctly, this will still leave a clear shot for Caelvanna and allow Emm to attack from behind us with her spear. Right?
OOC: Confirmed! So that will be Bog in the center, Ulrich to his right (by south wall), Calevanna stepping in by Bog's left (by north wall) just behind him and firing arrows off, Emm fighting from second rank with spear and Lauranna next to Emm.

Note: Caelvanna will get her 3 well-aimed arrows off just before the creature closes to melee. I'll make the next action post describing that and the creature coming into clearer view. Once that is posted, the party and the creature will become engaged and we can have the rest of you make your attacks rolls.

Update coming later today!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: Update coming later today!
OOC: the suspense is killing me...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
Argennian wrote: Update coming later today!
OOC: the suspense is killing me...

OOC: Didn't have the chance to get that out at work yesterday as I'd hoped. Was working on this last night when the power went out again. Sorry to make you wait, Al!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ENT: The party vs giant crab #2

#73 Post by Argennian »

Within a segment of the ripple passing them, everyone gets ready for action. Bogdan takes up the center of the watery cave just inside the entrance and makes ready with his longsword and shield. Ulrich moves up to his right with his mace and shield at the ready. Caelvanna quickly steps over to Bog's left to maintain a clear fire lane and prepares to let fly while Lauranna and Emm stand weapons-ready just behind.

The outline of what must surely be another giant crab begins to loom into view out of the dark shadows. This one looks even bigger than the last one. It raises it's massive claws in hungry anticipation just before Calevanna fires. The Wild elf archer shows off her recently completed training and sends 3 flight arrows in rapid succession toward the approaching over-sized crustacean. All the arrows hit their mark, penetrating it's thick exoskeleton with ease, and sink deep into the tasty flesh within.

The giant crab jumps slightly, appearing to have felt the freshly-delivered damage but continues forward undeterred nonetheless. It accelerates and moves to attack the waiting party of newcomer island invaders.

*** Please declare actions and make any & all attack rolls, please! ***

OOC: no need for initiative here as the giant crab is moving to attack and the party stands ready, so the attacks will effectively be simultaneous. In these situations, just like in tied initiative scenarios, it's usually weapon reach that dictates who strikes first but regardless of damage sustained, both sides will complete their attack sequences.

Damage taken by Opponent(s)
Giant Crab: 22 damage (Calevanna's 3 arrows)

TOD: 7:36am of Day 6 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 18 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 28/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10 , Lauranna 9/9 ; Ulrich 16/16
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword/shield ; Caelvanna – short bow (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – spear/SC ; Lauranna - short sword/SC ; Ulrich – mace/shield or SC (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location About 10 feet in from the entrance to the watery cave: Bogdan , Ulrich , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna
Last edited by Argennian on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correction to add x2 damage for critical hit!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

OOC: No worries, mate. :)

Bog is slightly taken aback by the size of the second giant crab, but he quickly recovers. He watches Caelvanna's arrows pierce the shell with unerring accuracy and smiles a big, toothy grin as the crab arches out of the water, exposing it's weaker underside for the briefest of moments.

But it is just long enough...

1st Attack:
To Hit, Longsword [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23
(OOC: I can't remember if you have a crit rule, Argennian; I couldn't find anything in the rules thread, so I'll go ahead and make a damage roll. Just let me know if it needs to change, ok?)
Damage, Longsword (L) [1d12+6] = 11+6 = 17
(OOC: Not that I'll complain about that roll...)

2nd Attack:
To Hit, Longsword [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10

He is unable to make any further effective contact with the giant crab during the rest of the round.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna curses as she realizes the opportunity to continue using her bow has passed. She quickly slings her treasured bow over her head and across her body while drawing her short sword with a fluid motion. Rushing to Bog's left, she engages the monstrosity but her blade is unable to penetrate the hard shell of the giant crustacean.

Short Sword (vs. l) [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 [1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7
-- Project --
-- DM --

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna forgoes any attack and instead circles around to look for an opportunity to jump on the back of the monstrous creature.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrich swings his mace at the creature,

To hit with mace [1d20] = 20

smashing through the tough shell with a mighty warcry.

Damage with mace [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

OOC: W00t!
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by dmw71 »

SocraticLawyer wrote:To hit with mace [1d20] = 20
Nice!

This thing is getting abused.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
SocraticLawyer wrote:To hit with mace [1d20] = 20
Nice!

This thing is getting abused.
Even if there are no changes to the two damage rolls for the crits, we've already done 31 points of damage to pappa crab, which is 11 more than what we dealt to the first crab to kill it. Not that a change to the damage rolls would make THAT much difference; if the crits are maxed out, that only adds 2 more points of damage because the rolls were already so good!

So, depending on just how much bigger this second crab is, this might just be a one-rounder, as disappointing as that may be to our DM...

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by tkrexx »

Well, I'm certainly not gonna waste that Faerie Fire now!

Emm steps forward with a thrust of her spear between Bog and Ulrich.

[1d20] = 6

Wa wa wa wahhhhh...

Return to “A New Hope to the West”