Summer 1221 - The Luminous Codex [Arduin]

Keehnelf
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Summer 1221 - The Luminous Codex [Arduin]

#101 Post by Grognardsw »

AleBelly wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:26 pm "Julie. Your name is fitting. Only a single letter away from jolie." 'jolie' is french for 'pretty.'
A nice coincidence. I was thinking Julia Childs the famous (but less pretty) chef.

Demon tainted porridge, that is one I haven’t heard before, thought Arduin. Something to tell the Covenant’s gourmet thaumaturgist Wolfgang Puck.

Arduin leaned forward in his chair in rapt attention as Julie’s story literally got juicier. Womanly parts indeed! The magus glanced at Gertrude for a moment; the mature noblewoman’s face was tightly impassive.

Thank you Julia, you have been most helpful.”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Keehnelf »

Julia departs, leaving the pair to their reflections.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by AleBelly »

Gertrude exhales. "Arduin, does this sound like the work of the fey to you? I may doubt their conclusions, but not the veracity of their accounts."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Grognardsw »

Arduin puffed on his long pipe and walked over to the window, looking out upon the brambles crowding the back.

The clues point toward fey,” the magus said with more confidence than he believed. “The unnatural plant growth, the antler mask, the characteristics of the cottage stove strangeness, the lascivious influence as opposed to physical harm or death. There are trickster fey who can influence or put hexes upon man.

The cottage nestled among the vines and plants. Was the Luminous Codex within?

I believe if the source were infernal, there would be violence and death,” surmised Arduin. “The books in the cottage - if magical tomes, even the Luminous Codex, they typically require intensive study. One does not simply open a book and out springs a demon. The mask seems a more likely candidate.”

Arduin drew in a large breath, and exhaled a sinuous smoke ring.

The dark fey’s choice of a priest, if not coincidence, is particularly ironic morally and religiously. Showing that the holy representative of mankind’s god is nothing more than a fallible man. A dark fey would delight that a consequence of its trickery could be the hanging of the priest.”

The sun was setting low in the sky. Arduin pondered the cleric’s hanging tomorrow at sunrise. For a moment, the magus felt an obligation to help the man. That assumed Arduin’s theories were correct, a large assumption. And proving to superstitious townfolk that the influence or possession had passed would be difficult. The priest could even be a fey doppleganger for all he knew.

What think you?” Arduin asked Gertrude.

Our journey and day has been long. Perhaps Simon can provide dinner and drink as we discuss further.”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Keehnelf »

Simon is happy to have dinner brought for his guests (but would like to join them for it, in that case), unless they plan to leave the property immediately instead.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by AleBelly »

Gertrude nods along as Arduin shares his thoughts. "Your reasoning is sound, and you are the expert when it comes to the fey. I have no reason to doubt your judgement, and many to trust it."

The thought of food and drink appeal to Gertrude after their journey.

"Yes, let's discuss over dinner. Simon is known for his fine wines...much needed after our arduous travel."

She makes ready to depart the room, then stops. "Those barbarians we performed for today...they may be expecting us at the inn. We may also find a way to speak with the priest. But we risk my discovery. I suggest we let the priest meet his fate. If the cook was able to resist this fey influence, so should have the priest. I do hope those soldiers do not some looking for us."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Grognardsw »

Aye, the priest’s fate seems set,” agreed Arduin.

The magus departed the room with Gertrude.

Sir Simon, we have completed our interviews. They were very illuminating. Our day has been long. Let us all eat and discuss next steps.”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Keehnelf »

Simon has the cook prepare a dinner for the trio and, once it has all been served (a modest but well-prepared spread of roast mutton, bread, vegetables, a rump of cheese and a regional wine), the servants depart to give them privacy. After they have all had a chance to tuck in a bit, Simon asks, tentatively, "So, did you uncover--?"
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by AleBelly »

Gertrude finishes her bite of food, takes a sip of the wine, then dabs the corner of her mouth with her napkin. "Yes, Simon, the interviews were illuminating. We are both fortunate to have Arduin's expertise at hand. I would not pretend to be able to articulate his findings and reasoning better than he, so I will let him give the debrief."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Grognardsw »

Arduin enjoyed a bold Cabernet Sauvignon, and its bouquet of black currants, dark chocolate, and a touch of vanilla. It held a rich, full-bodied presence, delivering a symphony of flavors: ripe blackberries, espresso, and a hint of leather, all framed by firm tannins and a lingering, satisfying finish.

"A fine wine, Sir Simon. From your own vineyards? It reflects your terroir, tradition, and craftsmanship.” Arduin knew something of wines; he once had a three month affair with a sommelier.

“I believe you are plagued by a dark fey spirit brought forth by an item of ancient power,” said Arduin, getting to the matter at hand. The magus explained the indicators of fey magicks and source. “Possibly the mask with antler horns. What do you know of it? From whence it came, and what is its provenance?”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Keehnelf »

Simon frowns. "Well, a fey infestation is better than infernal corruption plaguing my house...right?" He looks a bit concerned, unsure of himself, but he continues. "I was told the mask was a representation of some pagan deity called Mabon, used in one of those people's festivities to commemorate the battle between celestial light and darkness. I thought the mask would be a beautiful thing, having heard about it, but when I saw it first in the flesh it seemed a dark and hideous thing to me. I stuffed it away out of sight immediately, thinking if I were lucky I might one day find a rube like myself I could pass it along to."

He takes a few slow puffs on his pipe.

"The man who brought it to me is beyond suspicion in this matter. He's faithfully sought out artifacts of all kinds for me for almost two decades and never shown a sign of ill intent. I'm sure whatever this is--if it's connected to the mask--is purely accidental."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by AleBelly »

"I have no experience in these matters, so this question may be naive. But if this mask is the source of our issues, would we not just destroy it?" Gertrude looks to Arduin for his perspective, and Simon to see how he reacts to suggesting destruction of his property.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Grognardsw »

Does Arduin have any knowledge of Mabon and its practices or cult beliefs?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by AleBelly »

Good question. I am assuming that Gertrude doesn't dabble in the occult.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Keehnelf »

Mabon is an obscure figure for folk of your standing so a test on Int + Folk Ken with an ease factor of 10 would be required to have relevant info. Each of you can attempt individually if you desire.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by AleBelly »

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Grognardsw »

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by AleBelly »

nice!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Keehnelf »

Arduin, despite his authoritative tone where things fey are concerned, realizes when faced with this specific information that he has spent scant time actually studying the fey, and only possesses what knowledge is available to most magi. In this situation, coupled with what he knows from other realms, that proves to be substantial--or at least useful.

From what he recalls, Mabon is a gaulish pagan deity who represents the primordial forces of darkness in the context of the annual cycle of light and dark reflected in the seasons. Order of Hermes wisdom (relying on Arduin's Order of Hermes Lore 2 for this connection) suggests that this kind of duality in the supernal realm is typically a peasant's understanding of the two bodies of fey, the Light Fey and the Dark Fey, who are for some unknown reason fundamentally at odds with one another. Dark Fey are often hostile to mortals and seek to injure or kill them when they encounter them, unlike Light Fey who often disrupt the lives of mortals through mischance or lack of care.

The season of Mabon's ascendance begins with the challenge of the Autumnal Equinox (that falls alongside the contemporary Michaelmas holiday) and extends through the Spring Equinox.

The iconography of Mabon is unknown to Arduin, but stag horns or the like would be in line with his understanding of gaulish traditions, and certainly a mask would have more affinity for fey of any kind than something like a book would.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Keehnelf »

I want to call this out here, because it's important in this situation, but also important in general in this kind of situation in Ars Magica, that there many "layers" of truth. Just like in the real sciences, supernatural phenomena in the world of AM can have manifestations, mundane explanations, superficial supernatural explanations, magically "functional" explanations, and foundational explanations that are all equally true and all of which seem on the surface to have nothing at all to do with one another. Just imagine the difference between explaining gravity using an apple vs. using general relativity vs. describing theories of quantum gravity and you'll have some sense of what I mean.

Arduin is enough of a scholar, with his "Studious +1" personality trait and no counteracting reckless/arrogant ones, to know that his knowledge of all of these topics is limited to surface level explanations or generalist speculation at best, and if what you're looking at around Mabon is something related to the Fey, there are many levels of "truth" still left to be uncovered and what you've got here is simply some solid "facts" to work from to uncover those deeper mysteries. There is a whole House of magi who study almost nothing but Fey, and Arduin isn't arrogant enough to think that one chapter of a book he read once and some half-remembered lectures from his master a decade ago do more than scratch the surface.

Return to “The Verdant Springs (Ars Magica)”