Bryne

Bryne takes point. "What happened here?"
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Gull's Landing

#502 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave is stunned to silence by what she sees before her. Pulling Talon free she moves towards the fallen guard. She hopes to drive off the crows but if they do not leave she will strike at one.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#503 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik goes on the alert checking the surroundings to make sure there is no sort of ambush lying in wait.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#504 Post by tristenc »

Nis watches the man as Mave questions him. She had some feeling this was tied to the 'Sister Lamentations' she kept hearing about
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#505 Post by Revenant »

"Divest yourself of sword and coin,
And burn all your illusions and airs,
Let the cave mouth swallow you,
Go willingly into its dark recesses." ~ Stewart Stafford

As Torvik goes on the defensive, so too do his two charges, as Kade pulls his sword and Ruskin his throwing knives. Garet a look of shock still on his faces shouts at the crying man, "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE DUVEN?" As Mave approaches the crows they at first appear immobile as if they have nought to fear from the young noble. Then as she raises her blade they caw as if issuing her a warning and fly off into the mouth of the cave.

The guard Garet called Duven looks from Bryne to Garet his eyes red with tears, "She told me I had to kill him. She was in my head and I had no power of my own so I put him down," pointing at the other dead guard. Those words are addressed to Garet and he then looks to Bryne and says his voice changing pitch as he speaks, "What happened is what will happen to you soon." The crows' caws echo from within the dark mouth of the cave.
Last edited by Revenant on Wed May 22, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#506 Post by tristenc »

She... you mean 'Sister Lamentations'? How did her voice come to you? Whispers? All at once? Was it quickly or did it come on gradually?
GreyWolfVT

#507 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik still on the defensive draws his sword unsure of what is happening "What's he goin' on about?" he calls out to the others talking to the man.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#508 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne will ready her bow and then take a shot at the crow.

SC Bow [1d20+2]=18+2=20 to hit [1d6]=6 damage
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#509 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

I think it may have been majick similar to that I was infected with.... she says with a whisper.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#510 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave approaches Duvan cautiously, her sword still in hand but flat by her side. She squats down next to him and asks, "Was it Lady Lamentations who told you this?" She tries to speak in a gentle calming voice unlike her brother.
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#511 Post by Revenant »

“We are in the dark places of the earth," said Madman. "Where all the ancient and most dangerous secrets are kept. There are Old Things down here, sleeping all around us, in the earth and in the living rock, and in the spaces between spaces. Keep your voices down. Some of these old creatures sleep but lightly, and even their dreams can have force and substance in our limited world. We have come among forgotten gods and sleeping devils, from the days before the world settled down and declared itself sane.” ~ Simon R. Green

The wild eyes of the guard flit from Niserie to Mave as he speaks in a whisper, "Lamentations...yes that is one of her names." Garet frowns looking to one of the guards he brought with him, "Take the wretch into custody and return with more men." Then looking to Torvik, "This...thing...can control minds it seems. My men and I will hold this opening as a safe spot for you to return or seek sanctity until it can be dealt with." Then moving to his sister, "You must be very careful in there. Be strong of mind and purpose."

As Bryne fires an arrow into the mouth of the cave, she hears a screech as the arrow strikes one of the crows. And then from the blackness of the cave it flies forth. The crow you hit, the arrow still piercing it flies out head directly for you. But it suddenly stops and falls dead. Then there is silence save for the waves lapping against the shore and the calls of the seagulls.
GreyWolfVT

#512 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "Bad omen killin a crow. Er so I always been told. Crows are tha souls of tha departed."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#513 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"It isn't bad luck to kill a crow, they are good eating. Also these are clearly being used by the witch. Everyone assume the witch can see you if a crow can, kill them on sight for now."
tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#514 Post by tristenc »

Can Nis tell if the crows and possible rats in the sewer can truly be Sister Lamentation's spies?
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#515 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Wrinkles her nose at the thought of eating crow, though lately she has eaten her fair share of it. Taking a defensive stance lest an attack is imminent from the cave, she exclaims, "I believe you are right Bryne, spies and harbingers of this Sister. We should not tarry long," said as moves closer to the cave.
GreyWolfVT

#516 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik shakes his head and refuses to kill crows. "I think yer thinkin o' squirrels thems good eatin'."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#517 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Yes, the majick of the mind is their power…. the crows are natural minions. Mighty Tempus, lend us your protection and blessings as we enter this place of blight.

Moving to the cave entrance she readies for combat and mental strife.

Under her breath over and over: I will hold myself in the face adversity. Tempus, my savior, I am your fist to eradicate this abomination…
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#518 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne will move in along side Thena, bow at the ready.
tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#519 Post by tristenc »

Nis stands, bow ready and eyes watching the entrance. (Is the other raven still around?)
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#520 Post by Revenant »

"The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. Fear of the unknown is our greatest fear. Many of us would enter a tiger's lair before we would enter a dark cave. While caution is a useful instinct, we lose many opportunities and much of the adventure of life if we fail to support the curious explorer within us." ~ Joseph Campbell

As the addled guard is led away by one of Garet's men the others take to the task of setting up flaming torches on either side of the entrance, Mave's brother then commenting, "Should you need to find your path back to us, look for the flames."

Niserie senses witchery about with the crows, though it is unlike any witchcraft she has so far encountered. There are no sign of rats at least yet. As the small band enters the mouth of the dark cave from somewhere above sounds the screech of a bat's warning and looking up you see at least several dozen perched upon the ceiling sleeping upside down their leathery wings covering their bodies and heads. The floor is caked with bat guano that clings to your boots with each step. There is no sign of the remaining crow that flew within but you would be hard pressed to find it in the shadows of the large entrance. Perhaps it awaits beyond the grasp of the light from you lanterns.

Bryne moves deeper into the cave's shadowy womb, followed by Thena, Mave and Niserie. Kade and Ruskin follow both with weapons ready. Morwen and Athan too follow within and once inside Morwen has to steady herself, "There is evil here," she says as Athan places a gentle hand on her shoulder. Torvik seems calmly at ease within these environs, his days serving as a Hammerfall Defender having taught him well in similar places routing the evils that surrounded his underground homeland.

Inside, you see a circle of rocks with ash long dead in its center showing someone once occupied this cave though many years past. The remains of a rotting straw pallet lie near the stones. Shining your torches you see a passage on the far side of the large cavern. Someone has written in chalk on the wall beside the passage, *Turn back*.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”