Rider of Rohan

Re: IC I

#921 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
12:50 pm
Twenty-nine turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

The door opens, revealing a strange sight; a circular room, 20' across, lavishly decorated in the fashion of a waiting room or foyer, lit by a magical light bright enough to cause the adventurers to blink in surprise. Or perhaps, it once was lavish, for everything in the chamber is old and mildewed; the tapestries on the wall mere shreds of fabric, a lush, thick carpet on the floor threadbare and covered in dust, a divan that looks like it was perhaps once exquisitely carved but is now so beetle-bored that it looks like a hunk of Kesigian cheese. Opposite the door the adventurers entered is a flight of stairs, leading downwards.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#922 Post by sulldawga »

Themon steps back. Probably safe but any of our trap sniffers, feel free to investigate.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#923 Post by VonAlric »

Beykoyun

"I think those stairs may lead us down to the same level that we felt we could reach from that well."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#924 Post by sulldawga »

VonAlric wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:14 pm Beykoyun

"I think those stairs may lead us down to the same level that we felt we could reach from that well."
Themon

That's probably true but it looks like this Hirti character has a laboratory separate from the rest of the level and we might be able to safely check that out. If it's locked on the other side downstairs, and we have the only key to the doors, we might have a safe place to rest while exploring.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#925 Post by shaidar »

Atticus spends some time checking the room is safe.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#926 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 am Atticus spends some time checking the room is safe.
1:00 pm
Thirty turns elapsed
Hex 13.4

A careful examination of the room reveals no traps, but Atticus does discover something of interest. A metal plate, still shiny after all these years, about 12" tall and 20" wide, and but the thickness of a needle, has fallen off the wall and is lying face down on the floor. There is an inscription upon it, in the same language that was on the door. Beykoyun reads it out loud:

"Notice! All leaving the lab must remain here for at least thirty minutes for decontamination. Remember! You can prevent the spreading of spores through care and attention!"
Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#927 Post by Dicey »

“‘Decontamination?’ That sounds like some type of magic word. Perhaps it confers magical protection against spores?” said Dirk.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#928 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"We can only hope the spores are dead after such a long time."
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#929 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Should we head down the stairs? It doesn't seem like there is anything of value here.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#930 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, I think it's worth checking out. I can only assume this decontam-whatever process is magical and there's no reason to believe it doesn't still work.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#931 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:06 pm Themon says, I think it's worth checking out. I can only assume this decontam-whatever process is magical and there's no reason to believe it doesn't still work.
Only one way to find out!
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#932 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:21 pm Only one way to find out!
Can Themon make a Magical Engineering roll to see if he can learn anything about the decontamination process in the room?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#933 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:39 pm
thirdkingdom wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:21 pm Only one way to find out!
Can Themon make a Magical Engineering roll to see if he can learn anything about the decontamination process in the room?
Themon strokes his chin, examining the chamber. He has no idea what it would involve.

: 1d20 1
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#934 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"I agree, let's go take a look."
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#935 Post by thirdkingdom »

1:00 pm
Thirty-one turns elapsed
Hex 13.42

The stairs descend for twenty feet; the light behind them in the circular room dimming as the party ascends deeper. As the adventurers descend the stairs a smell of damp and mold assails their nostrils. At the bottom of the stairs, they behold a chamber thirty feet east to west and forty feet north to south. The stairs enter in the center of the north wall. On the opposite wall is an opening; once a doorway, the door hangs in pieces from the hinges, as if wrenched open by a great force. It looks as if shelves once lined either wall, but they have been forcibly torn down, and the floor is littered with debris, as well as covered in patches by a thick growth of what looks to be moss: pale green stalks a foot long wave listlessly in the air.

It is now time for me to provide some levels to keep these maps straight. You have been exploring level 4. This is sublevel 4b.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#936 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"I'm not sure I like the look of that moss stuff."
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#937 Post by sulldawga »

Themon steps into the room. If possible, he avoids stepping in the moss patches. He is not touching anything, just looking. He looks through the doorway (is the door smashed back into the room where he is, or smashed outward?) and then, if he doesn't see any immediate dangers, he looks at the wreckage of the shelves.
Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#938 Post by Dicey »

Dirk watches from the doorway. The homemade mouth turban he made in case of a chest gas trap he keeps about his mouth, hoping not to breath in spores.

If anyone has infravision, do the plants radiate unusual amounts of heat that would indicate they are more than simple moss plants?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#939 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:42 pm Themon steps into the room. If possible, he avoids stepping in the moss patches. He is not touching anything, just looking. He looks through the doorway (is the door smashed back into the room where he is, or smashed outward?) and then, if he doesn't see any immediate dangers, he looks at the wreckage of the shelves.
The door is smashed *towards* the adventurers, as if there had been something on the other side of it that smashed it open. As Themon steps down into the chamber, there is movement on the floor, and four figures -- shambling, vegetative, moss-covered corpses, rise slowly off the floor. Each corresponds to where a patch of moss had been. It looks as if, at one point, they had been human, but now seem to be some sort of unholy, animated plant-creatures!

No need to roll for surprise, as Themon was being careful, but you will need to roll for initiative! I got a : 1d6 1
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#940 Post by shaidar »

Atticus gets ready to back pedal up the stairs

"What are they! Maybe the magic in the room upstairs will kill them."

Initiative: [1d6]=3

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”