Intersystems Academy (Character Creation)

Starbeard
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intersystems Academy (Character Creation)

#41 Post by gurusql »

I am back and ready when you all are. Thank you for the kind words.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#42 Post by Dicey »

The lightsaber was cost of a long sword, and the blaster a bow. Given I’d like a shield to help on AC given the low HP, I’ll opt for the one-handed saber.

Lucas made a good choice in the final version making lightsabers a rare and special weapon of the jedi order. In the draft, having lightsabers available to anyone blows a hole through the mythology of jedi and cheapens the weapon.
Starbeard wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 am
Dicey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:32 am HP: [2d6]=7 With the +1 at 2nd level, a total of 8.

Love the spells! We'll determine costs for the items tomorrow. What weapons are you using for your lightsaber and blaster? A normal sword is a good bet, but a two-handed sword is terrific in Chainmail and also feels lightsabery (though obviously disallows shields). The standard blaster pistol could be either a short bow or light crossbow, I think.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Starbeard »

Well, hopefully it won't bother you to the point of no enjoyment, because as the recruitment posts indicated, things will be cheapened with loads of laser swords. :)

Character rosters are up. Later this week a premise will be posted, and next week we will begin!

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by gurusql »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

I will get his weapons and inventory done at some point this week. I may take some liberties with his inventory and see what it looks like. Rope to micro climbing cord type stuff.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Starbeard »

Rex wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:25 pm I will get his weapons and inventory done at some point this week. I may take some liberties with his inventory and see what it looks like. Rope to micro climbing cord type stuff.
That's the idea. Just come up with something and if it's within the thematic ballpark and doesn't add too much utility I'll allow it.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by Dicey »

Starbeard wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:25 pm Well, hopefully it won't bother you to the point of no enjoyment
Not at all, just blathering opinions as I often do. I’m looking forward to starting.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Working this up now.

Sorry for the delay!

Before I get too deep into this.....

Can I play a female Sith Magic User? (is there such a thing?)

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Starbeard »

I don't think a Sith specifically would work, since in the setting the Sith & Jedi are mutual mortal enemies and we have a Jedi in the party.

There would be mystics, wizards, hermits, or strange aliens who might otherwise look like MUs, though. They could pull from any of the alignment forces, so in this case you'd be a Bogan mystic or witch, classed as a chaotic MU, probably from a obscure tradition on Townowi or some nearby planet of wilderness hermits.

And while the Jedi are specifically just rivals with the Sith, they are ultimately against the Bogan generally. If you really want to play a chaotic and if Dicey's also cool playing along, I see three options:
1. The Bogan is good at masking itself, like assassins. You can present yourself to the spellcasters in the party as a neutral, at least for a long enough while to last an adventure if not more.
2. You're pulling from the Bad Wrong side of the Force, but you're not an Evil Sith, so like paladins, the Jedi may tolerate your presence to join together for a common goal, but neither of you would really want to associate beyond that immediate goal.
3. Play a Neutral/Nogas MU and figure that all Bogan is pure cackling evil in this setting, so your typical badass chaotic antiheroes dabbling in dangerous power would just be represented as neutrals here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Starbeard »

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Sith Knights, and their general troops, the Legions of Lettow, may or may not show up as a faction in the adventure location. Unlike the Jedi or the various clerics, they are a much more organized and sprawling order with its fingers in everything. A Sith always answers to one's superiors.

The Sith aren't within the chain of command of the Imperial Star Forces, or even of the Imperial Government, but they often work in tandem, and many low- and mid-ranking Sith hold officer or political positions, to further increase their cooperation.

Individuals may be sympathetic to outsider mystics of the Bogan, others may not.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by Dicey »

Starbeard wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 pm If you really want to play a chaotic and if Dicey's also cool playing along, I see three options…
A spy among us who will turn traitor at the key moment… :o how fun… as long as I have the higher ground :lol:

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Starbeard »

Touchy territory! In theory I'm not opposed to party competition if, and only if, everyone agrees it will be fun and nobody starts acting like a jerk.

A mole could actually work quite well in this adventure. The basic starting condition would be that everyone agrees to be a normal cooperative party, and if you pursue a specific path and reach a specific point, as the "endgame" I will pause play and allow the double agents to "reveal" themselves, and then we'd finish out the scenario from there.

I've done that before a couple times (though only face-to-face and with people I generally knew to be good sports about it) and it worked out well. One time everyone knew the traitor would be selected randomly, and another time everyone knew who the traitor would be but didn't know when or why.

The key is that until that if/when moment happens, we just agree to turn a blind eye and pretend the spy is doing a good job of not being detected.

If that sounds fun and challenging to everybody, then we can consider it. Otherwise I highly suggest we take one of the other options.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Starbeard wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 pm 3. Play a Neutral/Nogas MU and figure that all Bogan is pure cackling evil in this setting, so your typical badass chaotic antiheroes dabbling in dangerous power would just be represented as neutrals here.
Knowing how I play..........I think we better go with this option instead. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#54 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I am guessing I should use this same template?
MU: level 3 (Seer) gets 2HD, and has 3/1/-/-/- in spells.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Starbeard »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm I am guessing I should use this same template?
MU: level 3 (Seer) gets 2HD, and has 3/1/-/-/- in spells.
Yep! That'll be the one.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#56 Post by Dicey »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 pm
Starbeard wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 pm 3. Play a Neutral/Nogas MU and figure that all Bogan is pure cackling evil in this setting, so your typical badass chaotic antiheroes dabbling in dangerous power would just be represented as neutrals here.
Knowing how I play..........I think we better go with this option instead. :lol:
So does this mean we won’t have a traitor in our midst? :twisted: I think I almost looked forward to that. :biggrin: Or maybe not :neutral:

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by gurusql »

What was the multiplier for Gold for being 4th level?

Here is the character sheet

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Starbeard »

gurusql wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:41 am What was the multiplier for Gold for being 4th level?
30x the die roll. I will also look over the adventure and decide if any gear will be handed out.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#59 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dicey wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:54 pm So does this mean we won’t have a traitor in our midst? :twisted: I think I almost looked forward to that. :biggrin: Or maybe not :neutral:
:mrgreen:

That's what I thought too.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Starbeard »

OM and gurusql, the character sheets are looking good. This is going to be an interesting party!

One more night of grading, then I'll be able to push this forward tomorrow evening.

Return to “Record of the Star Wars (OD&D)”