0004 Pequan to Tremous Dex

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 0004 Pequan to Tremous Dex

#221 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:17 am
"This is interesting but doesn't seem immediately pressing. It might be why everyone on that ship had to die. If the pirates took it out to kill the guy with this, it would fit the circumstances. I wish we could get at the contents of the device, but it might be uncrackable at the moment. What do you think, Zaki?"
Zaki waits until Doug finishes speaking, sipping her drink as she listens to the conversation. She frowns repressively at Donovan as he mentions a shoulder rub, but the corner of her mouth quirks into a tiny smile. "I don't know enough about computers to break into that one," she begins. "I do agree that we need to jump away from Tremous Dex if we can." She turns to gaze to Sigrun. "Sigrun, do you have any ideas about where we could run to out here? Imperial space is probably not our best option."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#222 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:08 am Doug listens to all this talk and finally chips in his two credits, "Yeah, I think us disappearing is the best thing for us to do. We have plenty of fuel for another jump and I can have that processed and loaded in the tanks ready to use as soon as we emerge into normal space. We could be back in jump within, what, 10 minutes? We'd have to have a jump plot already laid in and everything prepared."

"The only problem I see with the systems is we'll start having some funk in the air and a tang to the water by the end of another jump if we don't get a chance to recharge the life support modules. We can live off food packs, we've got enough of those to feed us for a few weeks." Doug shrugs, "Everything else will recycle so it'll be breathable and drinkable, but a little off. I guess if you've been in space a while you know that. I'd strongly suggest we don't go too many weeks on recycled life support though. We'll have to start recyling the waste into food again and I don't think anybody wants to do that if we can avoid it. All told, we could survive a few months of quick refuel and jump, but we'd never get the stink out of the ship and our taste buds would never be the same."

"So, Rangent or back to Pequan? Those are the only places we can go." Doug offers, "I don't know anything about Rangent, but I really don't desire a quick return to Pequan, do you?"

"I guess the bigger question is what are we going to do about this ship, assuming we survive whatever awaits us at Tremous Dex?" Doug says, "I think we're going to need to run a-ways and disappear from whoever is behind this. To do that, I think we need to acquire a different identity, get a new Transponder saying we're a different ship. Might be better to get a subsector or two away from here, too."
"I had hoped to get the wreck's transponder, but that didn't work out. We will need to do something to keep from popping up on their screens. We might be able to get a new identity at Rangent. It's not part of the Kingdom of Arden or the Imperium. We have some salvaged low berths and the turret with weapons. A deal could probably be made and we'd still come out ahead. I know a little about working with someone on the street but I suspect we might do better with someone like Sigrun and Donovan doing the bargaining. Anyone looking for us won't know them. Thoughts?"

Flighty
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#223 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm
terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:17 am
"This is interesting but doesn't seem immediately pressing. It might be why everyone on that ship had to die. If the pirates took it out to kill the guy with this, it would fit the circumstances. I wish we could get at the contents of the device, but it might be uncrackable at the moment. What do you think, Zaki?"
Zaki waits until Doug finishes speaking, sipping her drink as she listens to the conversation. She frowns repressively at Donovan as he mentions a shoulder rub, but the corner of her mouth quirks into a tiny smile. "I don't know enough about computers to break into that one," she begins. "I do agree that we need to jump away from Tremous Dex if we can." She turns to gaze to Sigrun. "Sigrun, do you have any ideas about where we could run to out here? Imperial space is probably not our best option."
Flighty listens in with interest. What will their newest crewmember remember next?

Flighty
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#224 Post by terrymixon »

While the others are talking, Flighty will bring up the data they have on Rangent on his reader. Time to start researching their likely next port of call.

Flighty

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Tiglath »

Eris wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:08 pmThe briefcase, not a ruined mess, disgorges a folder of papers, a snub pistol and a small high tech combination smartphone/computer.

The Arden Society ... de Champs has been secretly involved with a shadowy pirate group run by someone going by the alias of Roberts.

... operating in the Dinom system.
Sigrún looks momentarily uncertain then commits stating flatly "It's true that there is an organized and well funded pirate operation running out of Arden". She pushes the smartphone/computer away from herself "Sadly, I can't use my knife to open this". She then picks up the snub pistol and checks the load commenting "This will need to be checked and cleaned". She takes custody of the pistol and closes with "I will capture images of these documents with the picter - the information and its origin could be useful".
terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 am "I agree we need to be in suits and armed, but I'm hesitant to reveal ourselves once we emerge. We have fuel for another jump and I agree that getting back out of there might be the best call. Without proof we're alive, we will fade from their minds. We could get to Rangent with the fuel we already have and make a run from there. It's not even in Arden space, so it politically gives us more cover."
She nods agreement with Flighty "If we can simply turn around without detection and then jump again that is the best plan. Only if we are detected do we then need to improvise a plan to buy time or to mount a defence".
helvorn wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:02 am
terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:17 am "It might be why everyone on that ship had to die. If the pirates took it out to kill the guy with this, it would fit the circumstances... "
"What gets me is why they would shoot the ship down but did not strip the wreck of anything incriminating or of value. The ship was damaged but anyone with experience would have tracked her down to the crash site. Not like anything on the planet could stop an armed ship from taking what they want at least away from the star port." Donovan shakes his head. "I can help you go through the flight controls and avionics if you want Flighty. I don't think I can do much to help Zaki unless her shoulders get too tense"
Sigrún comments "I think Flighty has it. "Everyone aboard had to die" and pirates now seem to fit as the attackers - or assassins in this case". Replying to Donovan she says "If Flighty is right then killing the crew of the merchant and getting outsystem without being detected were the pirate's priorities. They may have seen it crash hard and then maybe shot up the wreck. Perhaps they then felt they'd done enough - especially on Pequan".

She adds "I can help you on the bridge too Flighty. Sword World officers "do" and don't lead from the back so I am qualified as stýrismaðr - steersman... ah... pilot!"
joertexas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm Zaki waits until Doug finishes speaking..."I don't know enough about computers to break into that one," she begins. "I do agree that we need to jump away from Tremous Dex if we can." She turns to gaze to Sigrun. "Sigrun, do you have any ideas about where we could run to out here? Imperial space is probably not our best option."
Sigrún agrees with Zaki "I can do basic Electronics if someone checks my work so I have no chance with that handcomputer". She gives another "cognitive hesitation" and then again commits "We need to beat them to Rangent. It's a water world with three gas giants and no insystem control so they'd need a whole flotilla to prevent us refuelling there. Once there we also keep course options open for both the Spinward Main and skirting the Abyss Rift Rimward through the Lanth Subsector and towards the Sword Worlds...". She pauses again "In addition to more Navigation options we could also address our more immediate needs in the Rangent system. The Imperial Navy won't sell us a new transponder - but smugglers and pirates will".
ateno wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:52 am "I was working on the axe and spear when the thing with the cargo went haywire. They might be done now."
She gives Karcsi a vulpine smile "That's good news! I will need my axe on Rangent".
Last edited by Tiglath on Fri May 10, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Tiglath »

terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:57 pm Flighty listens in with interest. What will their newest crewmember remember next?
Funny you should ask that... ;) :D

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:46 pm
Sigrún agrees with Zaki "I can do basic Electronics if someone checks my work so I have no chance with that handcomputer". She gives another "cognitive hesitation" and then again commits "We need to beat them to Rangent. It's a water world with three gas giants and no insystem control so they'd need a whole flotilla to prevent us refuelling there. Once there we also keep course options open for both the Spinward Main and skirting the Abyss Rift Rimward through the Lanth Subsector and towards the Sword Worlds...". She pauses again "In addition to more Navigation options we could also address our more immediate needs in the Rangent system. The Imperial Navy won't sell us a new transponder - but smugglers and pirates will".
Zaki sits still for a moment as threads of light flicker across her HUD. "Lanth takes us deeper into the Imperium. The shorter route is through Vilis to Mjolnir. That puts a naval base and a scout base near our route, but the main has several of those. We'd also have to do several deep-space jumps."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 pm While the others are talking, Flighty will bring up the data they have on Rangent on his reader. Time to start researching their likely next port of call.

Flighty
Flighty starts to search...

Rangent
Vilis Subsector
Spinward Marches 1411

Allegiance: Non-Aligned, Human-dominated (NaHu)
System:
K8 V Orange Dwarf (Main Sequence)
3 Gas Giants — 0 Planetoid Belts — 10 Other Worlds

UWP: E 6 7 A 6 1 2 – 7
Importance: { −3 } Very unimportant
Economics: ( 8 5 1 −5 ) (note 1, 2)
Culture: [ 2 3 1 3 ]
Population: 5 × 106 = 5,000,000 aprox.
Remarks: Ni Non-Industrial Wa Water World
Travel Zone: No Restrictions (note 3)
Travellers' Aid Society Rating: Green (note 3)
Notes:
  1. Roughly 2/3 Rangent’s population is concentrated on the satellites of the inner most Gas Giant mining what amounts to a belt of moonlets surrounding it. The other third of Rangent's population is settled on a water world of the same name. The main occupation on Rangent World is processing plankton harvested by giant ships trolling the warm seas and deposited at a huge floating platform.

2. The "belters" around the Gas Giant are independent and self-governing. The plankton ships and processing plant are owned by Ling Standard Products and almost all residents of the floating platform are LSP employees.

3. Rumors abound that Pirates are known to seek safety within the system around the outer two Gas Giants. Some rumors indicate that there is active collusion between pirates and the belters to keep LSP at bay.

...you have nothing else on Rangent in your Computer System and the entries here are all 8 years old. This does seem to confirm what Sigrun was saying, though.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#229 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm
terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 pm While the others are talking, Flighty will bring up the data they have on Rangent on his reader. Time to start researching their likely next port of call.

Flighty
Flighty starts to search...

Rangent
Vilis Subsector
Spinward Marches 1411

Allegiance: Non-Aligned, Human-dominated (NaHu)
System:
K8 V Orange Dwarf (Main Sequence)
3 Gas Giants — 0 Planetoid Belts — 10 Other Worlds

UWP: E 6 7 A 6 1 2 – 7
Importance: { −3 } Very unimportant
Economics: ( 8 5 1 −5 ) (note 1, 2)
Culture: [ 2 3 1 3 ]
Population: 5 × 106 = 5,000,000 aprox.
Remarks: Ni Non-Industrial Wa Water World
Travel Zone: No Restrictions (note 3)
Travellers' Aid Society Rating: Green (note 3)
Notes:
  1. Roughly 2/3 Rangent’s population is concentrated on the satellites of the inner most Gas Giant mining what amounts to a belt of moonlets surrounding it. The other third of Rangent's population is settled on a water world of the same name. The main occupation on Rangent World is processing plankton harvested by giant ships trolling the warm seas and deposited at a huge floating platform.

2. The "belters" around the Gas Giant are independent and self-governing. The plankton ships and processing plant are owned by Ling Standard Products and almost all residents of the floating platform are LSP employees.

3. Rumors abound that Pirates are known to seek safety within the system around the outer two Gas Giants. Some rumors indicate that there is active collusion between pirates and the belters to keep LSP at bay.

...you have nothing else on Rangent in your Computer System and the entries here are all 8 years old. This does seem to confirm what Sigrun was saying, though.
OOC: Thanks.

Flighty nods. "You've got the right of it about Rangent, Sigrun. Seems like the outer two gas giants are pirate magnets. I wonder if the vision of an attack at a gas giant was one of them? We'll want to stick to the inner one and deal with the belters there, I suspect. I don't like that Ling has control around the water world. Too likely for us to be noticed. Donovan, what could we sell there while we get renamed? Heck, we need a new name. I suppose we'll have to disable the transponder and claim it's malfunctioning. With pirates doing business there, selling ship components might not even seem that odd. Pitch in, people. Is this making sense? I want to be sure we have agreement on going there and making a run for elsewhere under a new name before we wander too far down that track."

Flighty

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:14 pm Zaki sits still for a moment as threads of light flicker across her HUD. "Lanth takes us deeper into the Imperium. The shorter route is through Vilis to Mjolnir. That puts a naval base and a scout base near our route, but the main has several of those. We'd also have to do several deep-space jumps."
Sigrún nods "Já we skirt the Abyss Rift which extends into Vilis. So we hoppa... skip... in and over the Imperial border in Vilis then, if we want to avoid Imperial military, take the smuggling route through Ficant. I don't think Imperial bases are good for any of us but first we need a new transponder".

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#231 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm
joertexas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:14 pm Zaki sits still for a moment as threads of light flicker across her HUD. "Lanth takes us deeper into the Imperium. The shorter route is through Vilis to Mjolnir. That puts a naval base and a scout base near our route, but the main has several of those. We'd also have to do several deep-space jumps."
Sigrún nods "Já we skirt the Abyss Rift which extends into Vilis. So we hoppa... skip... in and over the Imperial border in Vilis then, if we want to avoid Imperial military, take the smuggling route through Ficant. I don't think Imperial bases are good for any of us but first we need a new transponder".
“I’ve never done anything that shady, but we’ll have to manage. No matter where we go, we need one. Or more.”

Flighty

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Tiglath »

terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:00 pm Flighty nods. "You've got the right of it about Rangent, Sigrun. Seems like the outer two gas giants are pirate magnets. I wonder if the vision of an attack at a gas giant was one of them? We'll want to stick to the inner one and deal with the belters there, I suspect. I don't like that Ling has control around the water world. Too likely for us to be noticed. Donovan, what could we sell there while we get renamed? Heck, we need a new name. I suppose we'll have to disable the transponder and claim it's malfunctioning. With pirates doing business there, selling ship components might not even seem that odd. Pitch in, people. Is this making sense? I want to be sure we have agreement on going there and making a run for elsewhere under a new name before we wander too far down that track."
Sigrún replies "The gods grant us visions but they are generally true to purpose even if they are allegorical. In his vision Karcsi saw one campfire while I floated in space and turned to see one gas giant. Rangent has three. If raiders are operating in a system they will loiter about a gas giant looking for prey while SDBs will lurk within it". She shrugs "Predators work like that".

She states angrily "Not everyone who doesn't want to become a Corporate wage slave or pay Imperial taxes is a pirate! It's an all too convenient label allowing the Imperium to wage undeclared and unrestricted warfare against the... inconvenient".

Taking a breath she continues "You took absolutely the right loot from the wreck. Traders here will buy both low berths and turrets. There's a ready market - if you know it". She eyes Flighty "From my observation of your instincts in stripping a wreck you seem to be handling "shady" very well. You also seem a very educated man and yet..." She gives a challenging smile "To showxa lang Belta, keyá?"

Then "It all makes perfect sense... but in a tradeship you can't trade and run. Even as we are and with a new transponder we must eke a living in the grey as traders. Another option Foringi - turn the steering oar or a least take a sighting towards Dinom. I have some personal business there which would surely pay very well. There's a bounty to be claimed on a man who calls himself Roberts... but I know his true name".

(OOC: Trans: "You speak Belter Creole, don't you?")
Last edited by Tiglath on Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#233 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm
terrymixon wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:00 pm Flighty nods. "You've got the right of it about Rangent, Sigrun. Seems like the outer two gas giants are pirate magnets. I wonder if the vision of an attack at a gas giant was one of them? We'll want to stick to the inner one and deal with the belters there, I suspect. I don't like that Ling has control around the water world. Too likely for us to be noticed. Donovan, what could we sell there while we get renamed? Heck, we need a new name. I suppose we'll have to disable the transponder and claim it's malfunctioning. With pirates doing business there, selling ship components might not even seem that odd. Pitch in, people. Is this making sense? I want to be sure we have agreement on going there and making a run for elsewhere under a new name before we wander too far down that track."
Sigrún replies "The gods grant us visions but they are generally true to purpose even if they are allegorical. In his vision Karcsi saw one campfire while I floated in space and turned to see one gas giant. Rangent has three. If raiders are operating in a system they will loiter about a gas giant looking for prey while SDBs will lurk within it". She shrugs "Predators work like that".

She states angrily "Not everyone who doesn't want to become a Corporate wage slave or pay Imperial taxes is a pirate! It's an all too convenient label allowing the Imperium to wage undeclared and unrestricted warfare against the... inconvenient".
Flighty shrugs. "It doesn't matter what they're called. If they shoot at us, they're bad news no matter how they got there. My duty is to this ship and her crew. Everyone else will have to fend for themselves for now."
Tiglath wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm Taking a breath she continues "You took absolutely the right loot from the wreck. Traders here will buy both low berths and turrets. There's a ready market - if you know it". She grins at Flighty "You seem a very educated man Flighty and, from your instincts in stripping a wreck, you seem to be handling shady very well. To showxa lang Belta, keyá?"
"Not to toot my own horn, but I'm very educated, smart where it counts, and can do just about anything in a pinch. Those are my superpowers, though I'm sure all of you can give me a run for my money. As fas as shady goes, I have done a few things that weren't strictly legal in my time." He will ask for a translation and then laugh. "I don't speak it, but I have a few gumbo and jambalaya recipes I've been meaning to try out, if I can find the right spices. I'm no trained cook, but I can wing it like nobody's business."
Tiglath wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm Then "It all makes perfect sense... but you can't trade and run. Even as we are and with a new transponder we must eke a living in the grey as traders. Another option - turn the steering oar or a least take a sighting towards Dinom. I think I have some personal business there which would surely pay very well. There's a bounty to be claimed on a man who calls himself Roberts... but I know his true name".
"We can do both. It's not like we have a burning need to go anywhere in specific, other than somewhere away from here. The best plan would be to get a transponder here and another one once we are away. If we can buy more than one, we can switch them to make our trail go cold, even for someone dogged enough to keep hounding us. Unless anyone has serious objections, we'll go with this plan."

Flighty
Last edited by terrymixon on Sat May 11, 2024 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 am

"We can do both. It's not like we have a burning need to go anywhere in specific, other than somewhere away from here. The best plan would be to get a transponder here and another one once we are away. If we can buy more than one, we can switch them to make our trail go cold, even for someone dogged enough to keep hounding us. Unless anyone has serious objections, we'll go with this plan."
Zaki shrugs lightly. "I have nowhere to go, anyway."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Tiglath »

terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 amFlighty shrugs. "It doesn't matter what they're called. If they shoot at us, they're bad news no matter how they got there. My duty is to this ship and her crew. Everyone else will have to fend for themselves for now."
Sigrún snarls "Of course anyone who shoots at us is our enemy" then relenting she continues "but if we work the inner world that is the way to open up an introduction to the outer market. That is the way. This ship can build contacts, in the persona of Sword World bravos Donovan and I can build contacts and I would always take Karcsi along but there may be other ways. I might have some old connections hereabouts - but they may be fearful".
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 am "Not to toot my own horn, but I'm very educated, smart where it counts, and can do just about anything in a pinch. Those are my superpowers, though I'm sure all of you can give me a run for my money. As fas as shady goes, I have done a few things that weren't strictly legal in my time." He will ask for a translation and then laugh. "I don't speak it, but I have a few gumbo and jambalaya recipes I've been meaning to try out, if I can find the right spices. I'm no trained cook, but I can wing it like nobody's business."
She gives Flighty her vulpine smile "It's a simple language for simple people and you are bright enough to learn enough cover phrases for trading purposes. Clever people only get caught through cursed luck. Your luck seems good enough to trust so far Foringi". She then adds "When my skills apply education and clever are no armour at all - nothing is. I don't see my own curse as a "superpower" like yours and yet warriors see it that way".
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 am "We can do both. It's not like we have a burning need to go anywhere in specific, other than somewhere away from here. The best plan would be to get a transponder here and another one once we are away. If we can buy more than one, we can switch them to make our trail go cold, even for someone dogged enough to keep hounding us. Unless anyone has serious objections, we'll go with this plan."
"With a transponder change we are just not here. We simply cease to exist - and yet we do. However, this is not Imperial space and so transponders and vector tracking are perhaps less reliable than expectation. A jump out, real or ruse, as one identity and an immediate return as another tends to confound pursuit. Commodities are likewise maybe contrary to your instincts - even a "cursed" transponder signature may be an asset".

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#236 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:36 am
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 amFlighty shrugs. "It doesn't matter what they're called. If they shoot at us, they're bad news no matter how they got there. My duty is to this ship and her crew. Everyone else will have to fend for themselves for now."
Sigrún snarls "Of course anyone who shoots at us is our enemy" then relenting she continues "but if we work the inner world that is the way to open up an introduction to the outer market. That is the way. This ship can build contacts, in the persona of Sword World bravos Donovan and I can build contacts and I would always take Karcsi along but there may be other ways. I might have some old connections hereabouts - but they may be fearful".
“To be clear, you’re suggesting that the ship make contacts on the water world run by Ling and use contacts we make there to work the belters at the innermost gas giant? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, so I’d like to hear more. It sounds like the belters have some serious issues with Ling and that might make getting what we need harder.”
Tiglath wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:36 am
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 am "Not to toot my own horn, but I'm very educated, smart where it counts, and can do just about anything in a pinch. Those are my superpowers, though I'm sure all of you can give me a run for my money. As fas as shady goes, I have done a few things that weren't strictly legal in my time." He will ask for a translation and then laugh. "I don't speak it, but I have a few gumbo and jambalaya recipes I've been meaning to try out, if I can find the right spices. I'm no trained cook, but I can wing it like nobody's business."
She gives Flighty her vulpine smile "It's a simple language for simple people and you are bright enough to learn enough cover phrases for trading purposes. Clever people only get caught through cursed luck. Your luck seems good enough to trust so far Foringi". She then adds "When my skills apply education and clever are no armour at all - nothing is. I don't see my own curse as a "superpower" like yours and yet warriors see it that way".
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 am "We can do both. It's not like we have a burning need to go anywhere in specific, other than somewhere away from here. The best plan would be to get a transponder here and another one once we are away. If we can buy more than one, we can switch them to make our trail go cold, even for someone dogged enough to keep hounding us. Unless anyone has serious objections, we'll go with this plan."
"With a transponder change we are just not here. We simply cease to exist - and yet we do. However, this is not Imperial space and so transponders and vector tracking are perhaps less reliable than expectation. A jump out, real or ruse, as one identity and an immediate return as another tends to confound pursuit. Commodities are likewise maybe contrary to your instincts - even a "cursed" transponder signature may be an asset".
“Granted. That will need to be something we work out once we have that option.”

Flighty

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Tiglath »

Rangent
Vilis Subsector
Spinward Marches 1411

[*] Roughly 2/3 Rangent’s population is concentrated on the satellites of the inner most Gas Giant mining what amounts to a belt of moonlets surrounding it.

[*]The "belters" around the [inner] Gas Giant are independent and self-governing.

[*]Rumors abound that Pirates are known to seek safety within the system around the outer two Gas Giants. Some rumors indicate that there is active collusion between pirates and the belters to keep LSP at bay.
[/list]
[/indent]
[/ooc]
Addition mine above.

The edit above forms the basis of Sigrún's reasoning although she sems to infer local knowledge.
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:02 am “To be clear, you’re suggesting that the ship make contacts on the water world run by Ling and use contacts we make there to work the belters at the innermost gas giant? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, so I’d like to hear more. It sounds like the belters have some serious issues with Ling and that might make getting what we need harder.”
Sigrún gives more detail "I suggest we look for contacts in the orbital community in the moon belt about the inner gas giant. There may be a local ship repair or service facility there. This seems more than likely if Ling control the Starport on the surface - the belters won't use it unless they have to. If there are pirates here acting in concert with the belters then this is where they'll "run ashore" to move on their loot, arrange repairs and feast - we just need to access that market place. However, our problem is that it seems we are more than likely being hunted by pirates ourselves. There's the ship at Tremous Dex which we should have slipped past but maybe all of the Arden funded faction are aware of us. However, since we know they are based over the border on Dinom then maybe they are less likely found here?"

"We might also look for an expert hereabouts who can unlock that computer..." she adds offhandedly "...and we should probably avoid interacting with any Sword World crews we encounter here".

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#238 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:48 pm
Rangent
Vilis Subsector
Spinward Marches 1411

[*] Roughly 2/3 Rangent’s population is concentrated on the satellites of the inner most Gas Giant mining what amounts to a belt of moonlets surrounding it.

[*]The "belters" around the [inner] Gas Giant are independent and self-governing.

[*]Rumors abound that Pirates are known to seek safety within the system around the outer two Gas Giants. Some rumors indicate that there is active collusion between pirates and the belters to keep LSP at bay.
[/list]
[/indent]
[/ooc]
Addition mine above.

The edit above forms the basis of Sigrún's reasoning although she sems to infer local knowledge.
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:02 am “To be clear, you’re suggesting that the ship make contacts on the water world run by Ling and use contacts we make there to work the belters at the innermost gas giant? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, so I’d like to hear more. It sounds like the belters have some serious issues with Ling and that might make getting what we need harder.”
Sigrún gives more detail "I suggest we look for contacts in the orbital community in the moon belt about the inner gas giant. There may be a local ship repair or service facility there. This seems more than likely if Ling control the Starport on the surface - the belters won't use it unless they have to. If there are pirates here acting in concert with the belters then this is where they'll "run ashore" to move on their loot, arrange repairs and feast - we just need to access that market place. However, our problem is that it seems we are more than likely being hunted by pirates ourselves. There's the ship at Tremous Dex which we should have slipped past but maybe all of the Arden funded faction are aware of us. However, since we know they are based over the border on Dinom then maybe they are less likely found here?"

"We might also look for an expert hereabouts who can unlock that computer..." she adds offhandedly "...and we should probably avoid interacting with any Sword World crews we encounter here".
“Ah, I misunderstood. That’s what I was recommending as well. Due caution is called for, but I’ll wager we can make new friends to do the work we need to. Heck, they might have cargo to sell.”

He frowned. “I forgot to look at the images. If I took any before I blacked out, that is.”

Flighty pulled the imager off his neck and started looking at the pictures of the object. “I had a thought on the thing in the cargo container. Are we sure it’s Zhodoni? Even though there are a lot of whacky stories out there, the Ancients were real. Could this be an Ancients artifact?”

Flighty

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Tiglath »

terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:50 pm Flighty pulled the imager off his neck and started looking at the pictures of the object. “I had a thought on the thing in the cargo container. Are we sure it’s Zhodoni? Even though there are a lot of whacky stories out there, the Ancients were real. Could this be an Ancients artifact?”
Sigrún states "Nei, it's Zhodani and it's dangerous. This here is Zhodani script - I could read it but I don't know how. The people exposed to it are taken away and come back... changed. Indeed they have gifts but they are thralls - lost to their gods and culture. These Ancients sound like Imperial gods".

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#240 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 pm
terrymixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:50 pm Flighty pulled the imager off his neck and started looking at the pictures of the object. “I had a thought on the thing in the cargo container. Are we sure it’s Zhodoni? Even though there are a lot of whacky stories out there, the Ancients were real. Could this be an Ancients artifact?”
Sigrún states "Nei, it's Zhodani and it's dangerous. This here is Zhodani script - I could read it but I don't know how. The people exposed to it are taken away and come back... changed. Indeed they have gifts but they are thralls - lost to their gods and culture. These Ancients sound like Imperial gods".
“Not gods. Powerful, but they managed to kill each other off easily enough, though planets and stars died. I’ve often wondered if the Zhodoni psionics were bootstrapped by Ancients artifacts. Could their written language be based on Ancients script? Anyway, it’s all an intellectual exercises at this point. It is what it is.”

He frowned. “If people that encounter these become thralls, why did that not happen to us? Is it an artifact of whoever is employing it and we dodged that bullet by being unsupervised? None of us is under any compulsion. It might be the Zhodoni rather than the artifact.”

Flighty set the imager down. “Like I said, it’s only intellectual curiosity at this point. We have more pressing issues to deal with.”

Flighty

Return to “Adventure 1: A Simple Pickup”