The Tomb of the Lizard King

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Tomb of the Lizard King

#521 Post by hedgeknight »

Rex wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:26 pm Fahima "Can I take the invisibility potion?"
"Of course, you can, child," Gormundel says. "It's the clear one."
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by Rex »

Fahima

"Thanks, she pockets the potion."

Sheet updated.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#523 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hedgeknight wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:41 am
GreyWolfVT wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:14 am Roan shakes his head "Everyone always ignores tha dwarf in tha room." he finds a spot and takes a seat. He looks at Lt. Dan "So Dan what did yah do afore all this eh?" he decides to socialize with the only warrior left of the newly gained allies he kind of misses Bron, but he has taken a shine to Dan as well.
Lt. Dan sighs and says, "I'm from Geoff, and more specifically, Sterich. Traveled a bit and was tired of running from giants, so I joined up with a group who was planning to explore the swamp. That was 15 years ago. Been here ever since. What about you, master Dwarf?"
Roan oddly perks up "Geoff I'm from there. I've seen wars an all sorts a stuff. Got me this burn scar from a durned mage. Needless ta say I found this group in a tavern sorta. An ended up ere. Tha more recent story yah heard us explain some rich lyin lord send us ere under tha impression we were just droppin off a gift."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

He chuckles softly at the subtle rebuke. "Idle hands, I guess. Nice artwork, though." Cassius does take a look at the notes, wondering if they have heard of that missing ingredient.

interjecting into Roan's conversation: "Don't forget, we also have to go kidnap his daughter, or something?"

GreyWolfVT

#525 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan "Rescue, hat's if we e'er make it outta ere alive." the dwarf corrects.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#526 Post by hedgeknight »

The group is able to rest and relax a bit while in Gormundel's private chambers. The old wizard seems to no longer care about his secrets and willingly offers up his spellbook and some of his potions.
(Please make sure to write down anything you take on your sheet.)

Lt. Dan perks up as well when Roan mentions he is also from Geoff, and then frowns at the mention of one of the lords and the mission. "What sort of gift would a lord of the sea barons wish to give to ol' Sakatha?"

Cassius grins sheepishly and looks at the notes, finding a sheet of parchment with the following verse:

TotLK Verse.jpg
TotLK Verse.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 119 times

When Cassius mentions "Don't forget, we also have to go kidnap his daughter, or something?" Roan quickly corrects him by saying "Rescue..." But this is not lost on Lt. Dan and Gormundel. The old wizard arches an bushy eyebrow and asks, "What's this now? You have another mission besides trying to kill Sakatha? Do tell while I try to find us something to eat."
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Fahima thinks oh no and just keeps her mouth shut.

GreyWolfVT

#528 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan "Yeah well tha damned lord tricked us, gave us a package ta deliver an little did we know it contained an egg of a basilisk. We didn'a know what the hell it was, until it eh well I s'pose birthed itself an started killin bad guys when we managed ta make our way down ere. We hope it killed tha dragon but I have me doubts." he tries to give the shorthand version of the story to Lt. Dan. "As fer tha other quest er mission. Same lord claims his kid got kidnapped an ransomed. He told us ta get his kid back. But left us ta decide which task ta do first."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by gurusql »

Zan

Zan will hand out some potions

Cassius - Healing x2
Fahima - Healing
Roan - Extra-Healing
Sai - Healing, Poison Antidote
Zan - Extra-Healing, Speak with Demons, Flying (recorded)

I assume the rules on spell copying are (days) not going to allow any of these spells to be written, if I am wrong then Zan would not mind writing down a few.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#530 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Fahima takes the potion of healing, sheet updated.

"Thanks Zan."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by hedgeknight »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:56 pm Roan "Yeah well tha damned lord tricked us, gave us a package ta deliver an little did we know it contained an egg of a basilisk. We didn'a know what the hell it was, until it eh well I s'pose birthed itself an started killin bad guys when we managed ta make our way down ere. We hope it killed tha dragon but I have me doubts." he tries to give the shorthand version of the story to Lt. Dan. "As fer tha other quest er mission. Same lord claims his kid got kidnapped an ransomed. He told us ta get his kid back. But left us ta decide which task ta do first."
While Zan hands out potions, Gormundel and Lt. Dan listen intently as Roan recounts their missions. And then Lt. Dan says, "And you thought delivering a gift in the middle of a swamp to a vampire was easier than getting this lord's kid back? Gods!"
"It was very brave of you to undertake these missions, master Dwarf," Gormundel says, using a bit more tact than the blunt lieutenant. "And now that you're here, and we are up to our necks in this, let us see it through, yes?"
The wizard turns to Zan and Sai and says, "I know you have interest in my spells. To research them yourselves would take days, maybe weeks and cost a lot of coin just on materials. I have most of the materials at hand in my workshop, and with a little bit of time - say two, maybe three days - I can make scrolls of my spells for you. If this is something you would like to have."

Please list your potions on your sheets. ;)
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by Rex »

Fahima

"Scrolls would be useful, but can we wait that long?"

Sheet is all set.

GreyWolfVT

#533 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan nods his head slightly "Eh well I s'pose we thought this might be easier. Didn'a exactly have all the details. We actually kinda felt like both missions were a setup er trap."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#534 Post by gurusql »

Zan

"We will need to keep going, but of course we would welcome spell scrolls if there is time."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

He receives the potions with thanks and continues reading and muttering about the riddle placed before him.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#536 Post by hedgeknight »

Speaking for Sai, he would definitely be interested in getting some new spells, but like Zan and Fahima, he asks, "Do we have time to wait? What is going to prevent Sakatha from sending some of his minions to find us and take us out?"
"Or worse, take us to him," Lt. Dan interjects, a sour look on his face.

Gormundel thinks about this for a moment, and then sighs and shrugs. "You're right. It may take more time than we have. We can hope the basilisk is still rampaging in Sakatha's lair. If so...maybe we should follow as soon as possible."
He begins gathering things in the room and then heads for his laboratory, beckoning Zan (and whoever else wants to come) to follow.

Back in his lab, he grabs specific items from his shelves and drawers and sets them on the table. "Flash powder; be careful with it." (A small pouch of white powder, the consistency of sand.) "This rock is a thunderstone...it may come in handy as a distraction." (It's a fist-sized rock.) "This will open just about any door." (It looks like a tuning fork inlaid with silver etchings.) "Here, take this," handing a small case to Zan. "It is a wand...but I have no idea what it does. I was beginning to research it when...well, when all hell broke loose!" (The wooden case holds a thin metal wand inlaid with Elvish runes. Zan can easily read them: Life is a wonder to behold.
"Does that mean anything to you?" Gormundel asks after Zan reads the runes (either out loud or to himself).

He then digs around the table, opens a drawer, and pulls out a crystal gem, of long and prism shaped. It is on the end of a leather tong to be worn around the neck or wrist, perhaps. "Dwarves love gems, so I'm told," Gormundel says, handing the prism to Roan. "This may save our lives, although, how can one be sure against an undead lizard king, eh?"

"Ah, yes, one more thing," Gormundel exclaims, reaching into the open mouth of a skull, and extracting a small velvet box. He tosses it to Fahima. "I'm sure you can make use of this, my little rogue." Inside the velvet box is a simple ring of brass. Carved on the inside are the words, "Winken, Blinken, Nod."

"That should just about do it. Are we ready then?" Gormundel asks the group.

Meanwhile, Cassius and Lt. Dan remain in the room, where the Elven Archer suddenly makes another discovery. Underneath the scraps of paper, he notices a piece of parchment stained red. Pulling it out, he sees it has been torn off from some other parchment, but the Elvish scrawlings on it, are still legible...and they are written in blood! They read:

Sacrifice...a king demands it of his servants.
Loyalty...comes with a cost.
Carnage...follows disobedience.
Hope...is all but lost.

Light banishes night.
Turns darkness into day.
In the Hall, the light is bright.
It is the only way...
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#537 Post by Rex »

Fahima

"Thank you."

She examines the ring very closely, wondering about the saying. Then she slips the ring on.

GreyWolfVT

#538 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan takes the prism looking it over before tucking it away. "Eh well I s'pose that is partially right. Some o' use are infatuated with gems. Others like me like em just fine, but ain't droolin over em. I like good strong drink, company o' a good lass, coin an a reliable weapon." he confesses. "So how does this thin work exactly anyway eh?" he asks regarding the prism.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by gurusql »

Zan

Zan pockets the items he was handed and says "Thank you."

He answers Gormundel, "It is an Elvish saying about Life"

Recorded on sheet

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#540 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sorry, those riddles caused me to delay posting and try to decipher them. I may have failed on that, though.

Cassius

He pockets the scraps of riddles and moves to join the group. "Ok. Where next? Trying to find that Basilisk? What other tricks and fiends does Sakatha have down here?"

Return to “Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2e)”