IC I

thirdkingdom
Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

Re: IC I

#881 Post by Dicey »

The rope was my idea, I’ll give it a try,” replied Dirk, remembering that he himself had rope.

What do I roll?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#882 Post by thirdkingdom »

Dicey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:08 pmThe rope was my idea, I’ll give it a try,” replied Dirk, remembering that he himself had rope.

What do I roll?
Don't worry about a roll. This is something that just takes a bit of time.

A rope is produced and fashioned into a lasso, which is then used, after a couple of attempts, to drag one of the corpses to them. Luckily, none of them animate to attack. The corpse is old, shriveled and dessicated. Human, dressed in crumbling, archaic clothes. It's really hard to tell what killed them, specifically, due to the age and deterioration of the body. It is likely they were killed by violence.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#883 Post by sulldawga »

Themon shrugs. Maybe they fought among themselves for the right to the treasure? Dirk, have a go at lassoing the chest and let's see if it moves any easier.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#884 Post by Dicey »

Dirk worked the rope and eventually lassoed the chest. He pulled. During the process he made small talk.

What do you think this place was before? If made by the mecistop, the foul Crocodile Kings that ruled this part of the world for centuries before the dawn of time, you’d think this place would have remnants of furniture and designs and signs of purpose. At least some empty pools for those old crocs. Maybe its just been cleaned out over the ages.”

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#885 Post by thirdkingdom »

Dicey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 pm Dirk worked the rope and eventually lassoed the chest. He pulled. During the process he made small talk.

What do you think this place was before? If made by the mecistop, the foul Crocodile Kings that ruled this part of the world for centuries before the dawn of time, you’d think this place would have remnants of furniture and designs and signs of purpose. At least some empty pools for those old crocs. Maybe its just been cleaned out over the ages.”
This is, in fact, an excellent question! The area the adventurers are currently in seems to have been built by humans -- or, at least, someone of relatively human stature. The areas to the north seem to have been constructed by creatures roughly ogre height.

Dirk pulls, and the chest slides slowly, ever so slowly, across the floor towards the door, parting the dust like the prow of a ship. It is heavy. When it is within reach the adventurers see it fashioned out of wood -- grey with age and seemingly brittle with dry -- and it looks to be locked. The dust lies thick upon the lid, although it appears as if there is some sort of textured carving mostly obscured by the thick layer.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#886 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Hmmm, let's have a look then..."

He starts by visually inspecting the chest, attempting to gently blow the dust off where needed, changing to gently wiping with a cloth if that's not enough and is required.

"You lot might want to step back a bit, just in case"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#887 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:55 am Atticus

"Hmmm, let's have a look then..."

He starts by visually inspecting the chest, attempting to gently blow the dust off where needed, changing to gently wiping with a cloth if that's not enough and is required.

"You lot might want to step back a bit, just in case"
Atticus examines the chest, cleaning the dust and grime off the lid. Carved into the lid, in sharp relief, are two lions, rampant, facing each other. The chest appears to be locked and, as far as Atticus can tell, not trapped.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#888 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"I can't see a trap, but stay back there while I try to open it..."

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#889 Post by Dicey »

Dirk continued the small talk as he loosened and put away his rope. “These areas seem to have been built by humans -- or, at least, someone of relatively human stature. The areas to the north seem to have been constructed by creatures roughly ogre height. We may find more intriguing treasure in the older crocodile-built sections.”

In an abundance of caution, Dirk backed up and around the corner m, scarfed over his mouth and nose, and peeked at the chest opening.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#890 Post by thirdkingdom »

The chest is locked. It also does not explode, emit poison gas, or otherwise appear to be trapped.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#891 Post by shaidar »

Atticus will try to pick the lock.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#892 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:36 pm Atticus will try to pick the lock.
Atticus does his thing with his lock-picks, there's a click, and the chest is unlocked. Lifting the lid, the gleam of gold and silver greets him, as the chest is filled with coins. Several hundred, if not more.
: 1d20 19

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#893 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Ooh pretty shinies! Let's split it up and pack it away.

After that, we should check out the door on the other side of the room.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#894 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:55 pm Themon says, Ooh pretty shinies! Let's split it up and pack it away.

After that, we should check out the door on the other side of the room.
It is indeed a box of shinies. Themon counts 1,572 silver coins and and 879 gold coins. All old, all bearing five sheafs of wheat bundled on one face and the profile of a severe looking woman on the other face. A nice haul, indeed, but worth the blood that was shed? Surely, this could not be the fruit of the treasure map the brigands were following.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#895 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, It might be worth checking for other secret doors in here as well.

Themon, for his part, listens at the other door.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

Re: IC )

#896 Post by Dicey »

After observing Themon cross the dusty room (assuming safely) to check the door, Dirk will enter and search for secret doors.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#897 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus

Tiarsus helps Dirk search for secret doors.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#898 Post by shaidar »

Atticus helps look for secret doors.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#899 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Someone more skilled than me might also check the chest to see if it has any false sides or bottoms, etc...

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#900 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Good idea, I'll do that."

He looks for false compartments, etc., in the chest.

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”