Luther
Whafuk?
FA FO
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intermediate Dungeon Training

#62 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm shakes his head in disbelief. How can it be possible?

Elnaerel tries to heal her wounds that, for her, seem and feel quite real.

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=1

"That's the training. It seems. Maybe we have to be ready next time."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Sigh... Next time I'm throwing darts, instead," says Chauncey. "We are being tested, and so far we are failing miserably." A muffled, monkey-like shriek is heard from inside his robes.

He cautiously approaches the door in the north wall, stopping behind the pillar nearest it and peeking around to examine it. He makes unintelligible hand signals to the others which may mean either "approach with caution" or "open the door with impunity."
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes gathers up his lasso again and slowly shakes his head in frustration. "Wes, lad, you're a fool. You took the bait. You'll not impress The Shalm with that sort of stupidity."

"Well, we were snared by that for sure, weren't we?", he calls out to the others. "I'm sure we'll be more careful as we go, but...this is just a thought... we've just been taught...trained, even... not to believe our eyes. What if further along, there's something that seems to be an obvious illusion? So we ignore it because it can't possibly harm us? As I say, just a thought."

Wes shines his lantern up at the ceiling again, just to be sure.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther shakes his head. No. We muzt treat it all as real- Fool- Killer will get uz f we don'
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

sastaz wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:22 pm Is there such a thing as attempting to disbelief in this? Amun would like to think that it all was an illusion, or in her head...
You can always suggest that your character will disbelieve that something is real. Just add a [4d6] roll against your Wisdom when you do.

Dungeon Training

Wes checks out the rest of the dark ceiling above with his lantern but doesn't find any more threats up there. This is followed by a group discussion about illusionary magic and how it should be handled in the future. Amun looks around at the stone floor and walls but doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Elnaerel tries to heal herself with minimal effect, but at least the wounds she isn't sure are real actually heal up a little bit.

Chauncey is clearly not happy with how their Intermediate Dungeon Training is going so far, so he looks over the next door........but only from a distance. It looks rather plain and appears to be made of wood.

Actions?

Amun (F3) AC:2 15/33
Crabbe Luther AC:4 13/30
Chauncey (MU4) AC:3 26/26 RM, CL, DM 0/3 1st 2/2 2nd
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 11/30 3/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 5/6 1st 4/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern
Grimm AC:5 20/20
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by sastaz »

Amun strides towards the next door, addressing Chauncy as she does so.

"Yes, we are failing, but how can we do anything differently?"

Just seconds later she somehow seems to answer her own question.

"Maybe we can take some advantage of the distance. If there's a beast in the next room, let's lure it out here instead of marching straight into a trap. We have some ranged weapons, don't we?"

She grabs the handle of the door, but stops there and has a good look first so there's no obvious blade above it, no holes in the walls beside her where arrows can fly etcetera.

If she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, she looks back at the others and says "Ready?"
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm follows Amun and leans against the wall next to the door. He sheathes he sword. Wait, Amun. Let me listen at the door.

Elnaerel looks at her wounds. So if that monster didn't really exist, maybe my wounds don't exist either and I'm wasting the goddess' favors?
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by sastaz »

Amun lets Grimm listen first.
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Yes we do", Wes replies, holding out his bamboo spear. He offers it to Grimm. "Here, it may be useful as a tool to search with. The Shalm will watch over me."

"Fighting from a distance is a good plan. I was going to suggest we retreated back through the doorway against the chimera, but I was worried that the giant would attack us at the same time. If we get the chance in the future, we should use doorways as chokepoints".

Wes goes to stand in the lee of the pillar to the right of the door as Grimm works on it.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training

Despite the pain and blood, Elnaerel questions weather her wounds are actually real. They look pretty real to everyone else.

A better fighting strategy is discussed for the next room as Amun moves to the door with Grimm right behind her.

Chauncey and Wes ready themselves for whatever is about to come next, the druid offering Grimm his spear to test for traps.

Checking everywhere but the floor, Amun reaches for the door handle, stopping short once Grimm offers to listen first. The dwarf watches as the floor below the fighter suddenly opens inward to swallow her up, dropping Amun into a 15' pit lined with short, sharp spikes at its bottom. 9 dam

This action causes Chauncey to wait a little longer with his deadly dart in hand.

Actions?

Amun (F3) AC:2 6/33
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 11/30 3/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 5/6 1st 4/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern
E1A112CD-BBF8-44AB-AF6B-EE20E35297A8.jpeg
E1A112CD-BBF8-44AB-AF6B-EE20E35297A8.jpeg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by sastaz »

"I'm alright, I'm alright", Amun's voice echoes in the pit as it bounces upwards.

"Or, I'm not alright, but I'm alive at least. Arrrrrrrgggg!"

The mighty barbarian woman looks visibly in pain as she removes the last bloody spike from her body. Clutching her side she opens her backpack slowly with one hand and pulls out a rope.

"Here, grab the end as I toss it and pull me up, please."
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes shakes his head ruefully at his delay in handing his spear to Grimm. "It looks like everything in here is going to be a lesson for us." He waits for stronger folk to lift Amun out, then bestows one of The Shalm's blessing upon her.

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=5
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"Damn!" the dwarf shouts as he sees Amun fall into the pit. He then uncoils the rope he keeps in his backpack and throws one end to the giant barbarian to help her up.

He then takes the spear that Wes offers him and sticks his ear to the door, from the side, of course, so as not to fall into the pit, with the intention of listening to what might be lurking on the other side.

Elnaerel sighs and tries to heal her wounds yet again, since she's so battered after the fire from the monster. She whispers in elvin: "Please, Ehlennestra, attend your servant."

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=8 Yeah.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by sastaz »

Amun gives Grimm a nod of approval once up from the pit.

"We...I...really need to be more careful. A riddle, a monster and a pit trap. What's next, poison? A curse?"

She falls silent again as Grimm starts listening at the door.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training

Amun is pulled the 15' back up to the room with the others, leaking out a little more life force with each new test they find. Wes is quick to offer his healing touch, restoring a bit of the hard womans health in the process.

Elnaerel uses magic upon herself, feeling much better about this second outcome once her burns and wounds knit up successfully.

The others remain quiet so Grimm can listen at the plain door, detecting nothing but silence coming from beyond.

Actions?

Amun (F3) AC:2 10/33
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 19/30 2/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 5/6 1st 3/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Jernau35 »

Oops. How did Maag get in here? :lol:
Wes post coming soon.
Last edited by Jernau35 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm looks at the others and negates with his head. He searches for traps at the door. Maybe the keyhole, if any, the door knob, or ring, has a needle. Or is there something under the door? If he finds nothing, he'll prode the space between the door and the lintel and all for sides of the door with the tip of the spear Wes gave him.

Elnaerel feels better now but it's annoyed that she had to use three of her daily prayers just on herself. She now heals Luther and Amun.

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=2

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=7
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I doubt that door is used on a regular basis," Wes says. "It's just there to catch the careless. I wonder if there's another way." He starts to inspect the walls on either side of the doorway.

Half-elves have a 1 in 6 chance to notice secret doors without searching. 2 in 6 chance if actively searching.

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”