A Case of Impenetrable Darkness: Dementia Præcox

DexterWard
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

A Case of Impenetrable Darkness: Dementia Præcox

#1 Post by DexterWard »

This thread will investigate the mystery of Walter Resnick's frantic letter to Ms. Margery Carter and what he called The Black.

Walter_Resnick_Letter.png
Walter_Resnick_Letter.png (405.63 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Case of Impenetrable Darkness: Dementia Præcox

#2 Post by Urson »

Chip
Chip scans the Resnick note again. "I think the school is covering it up-" Music to my ears, baby! I'll go back to the Trib, check the morgue for anything else that they're pushing under a rug.
He grabs his hat and starts to leave- then turns back to Margery. Miss Carter? By any chance, do you know the name of this friend of Walter's?

When he's gotten what data he can from Margery, Chip goes back to his home paper and starts searching the archived back issues.
Things to look for:
1) Odd deaths/ events in and around Harvard, or connected to faculty and students.
2) Other Black Tongue deaths in the city.
3) IF he has a name to work with- further details on Resnick's friend.

His Library Use skill is 55. I don't know if there are modifiers.
[1d100] = 76
FA FO
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Dr. Twaddle

The stooped little professor stoicly holsters a revolver in a holster on the back of his pants inside his tweed jacket, the weight of it pulling uncomfortably on his suspenders. He stands ready for the most immediate task - going to check on Walter's apartment as requested by Miss Margery.

Rupert also notes the paid advertisement against the Black pharmaceuticals, pursing his lips at the signatory. The "Blackwood Foundation" accompanied by a clear Masonic symbol - the starburst sun within the square and compasses being indicative of a Past Worshipful Master. Blackwood is a noteable author on the occult, of course, but he ponders the connection to Masonry and the overt display in the published ad. He resolves to stop by the Grand Lodge's Masonic Library and check in with Harvey Wallace on the matter on the way home.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Grognardsw »

Howard Thurston, stage magician

“You’re looking lovely Margery. How have you been?” Thurston asks the socialite, taking her hand and gracefully kissing it before taking a seat near her wheelchair. “What have you been up to this summer? From your radiant glow I judge you’ve been enjoying the sun? Cape Cod or the Vineyard? I’ve been traveling myself recently, up and down the East Coast for performances. The toils of the working man you know. Perhaps we can have dinner sometime?”

A black cat rubs against Thurston’s calf and he reaches down to pet it. ”Hello Menes, how are you?” he whispers. “Do you smell Darwin?” The cat purrs. “I’m sorry to hear that. Dreams can mean many things.”

Thurston looks up at Margery. ”Now Margery, your acquaintance Walter could be in deep waters. You must have made quite an impression on Walter for him to reach out to you. Or vice versa?” He laughs good naturedly. “Yes Chip I wouldn’t be surprised if Harvard is covering things up. They have to watch their reputation and all.”

“Yes Dr. Twaddle, lets see what the boy’s apartment may hold.”
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Grognardsw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 am Howard Thurston, stage magician
“You’re looking lovely Margery. How have you been?” Thurston asks the socialite, taking her hand and gracefully kissing it before taking a seat near her wheelchair. “What have you been up to this summer? From your radiant glow I judge you’ve been enjoying the sun? Cape Cod or the Vineyard? I’ve been traveling myself recently, up and down the East Coast for performances. The toils of the working man you know. Perhaps we can have dinner sometime?”
Margery smiled and let her hand be taken and kissed. Howard! Darling! Yes, I have been frequenting a few parties up that way... and plenty of time in Roanoke of course with my little social circle... Have you reconsidered my invitation? We don't bite my dear... Dinner? With me?
Oh, you flirt, of course. You just name the time and the place and I will be there.

Grognardsw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 amHoward Thurston, stage magicianA black cat rubs against Thurston’s calf and he reaches down to pet it. ”Hello Menes, how are you?” he whispers. “Do you smell Darwin?” The cat purrs. “I’m sorry to hear that. Dreams can mean many things.”
Wayne grinned and looked over. Hey! Where is Darwin? I got some snacks over here... Crackers... Jam... Potted Meat...
Grognardsw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 amHoward Thurston, stage magicianThurston looks up at Margery. ”Now Margery, your acquaintance Walter could be in deep waters. You must have made quite an impression on Walter for him to reach out to you. Or vice versa?” He laughs good naturedly. “Yes Chip I wouldn’t be surprised if Harvard is covering things up. They have to watch their reputation and all.”

“Yes Dr. Twaddle, lets see what the boy’s apartment may hold.”
Margery smirked. He is the sun of one of my friends that were in the social club a while back. He used to come with her play in the yard with the other children while we met in the palour. He remembered me and I made good on being a family friend. So can we pile into a wagon and head back to Walter's place?
Marullus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:25 pm Dr. Rupert Twaddle

"Schizophrenia?" reads the old professor aloud. "There are far worse causes for hallucinating and hearing voices than that. I do agree it is imperative we look into this to rule out the worst of them," he intones in an oddly somber tone...

He tries to stand up a bit straighter, holding the top of his cane. "I will gladly go to check on this young student, miss."
Margery looks at Twaddle and nods. I can tell you, that from that letter alone, I know something is off. He is a good young man and never did he sound this manic. I'm telling you, something has him rattled. He was usually very calm and put together.

Wayne was looking over the paper and [points something out. Hey, you think this might be related? If we are talking about the college covering stuff up, I mean. Might be worth checkin'...

Then after Twaddle points out the paid advertisement, Wayne reaches for it but Margery intercepts it for a look and arches and eyebrow. Hey. now isn't that interesting. If people are printing up this stuff already, there has to be more information on it. I'll work my sources to see what I can find out about it.

About that time Wayne walks over and takes the flier out of Margery's hand much to her chagrin. Say, Rupe! Isn't that one of you mason thingies at the bottom? The map thing and the sideways L-Ruler thing? This is so hard being a mason and holding my tongue/playing ignorant :lol:

Wayne goes on to hand the sheet back over to Twaddle. Wanna drive over there and see if they know anything? We could do it on our way back from checking on Margery's friend.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

"Yes, I'll have to clear my schedule to make time to visit you in Roanoke," replies Thurston to Margery.

"I'm sorry Wayne, I was in a rush to get over here and Darwin stayed at home," continues Thurston.

The stage magician looks over Margery's shoulder at the Black Death advertisement and article about the lawyer's missing wife.

"How have you been Sam?" Thurston asks the ex-soldier.
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by DexterWard »

Date & Time: Saturday, August 28th, 1927 – 3:15 pm
Weather: 77°F; Scattered Clouds; Wind 9 mph from SE
Sunrise/Sunset: 6:05am – 7:24pm

I’m assuming that everyone is going to Walter’s apartment, and will be walking, Including Margery (based on her relationship with/to him).

Walter’s Apt: 1200 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138

Walter_Apt.jpg
Walter_Apt.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1193 times

Walter’s apartment is a mere 0.1 miles away from Ptolemy's Scriptorium, and incidentally within throwing distance of where the black tongued body was found near Harvard St. earlier today. Clouds occasionally scatter the warming rays of sun, while a warm breeze blows softly from the SE. Several tenants are loitering around the entrance of Walter’s apartment building, smoking and chatting away their Saturday afternoon. They eye your party suspiciously and give Margery a strange knowing look, as if they’ve seen her before and expect trouble. The lobby doesn’t look like it’s been cleaned in a few weeks but is acceptable given the inhabitants. Walter’s apartment is on the third floor. A narrow staircase ascends on the north side of the lobby. The Lobby attendant’s office is empty, with no one else in sight.

Walter_Apt_Lobby.jpg
Walter_Apt_Lobby.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 1193 times

Actions!!!

With your next post please identify your everyday carry items, and/or anything you brought with you on this excursion
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Bluehorse »

Wayne

Walked with the group over to the apartment smoking one of his sweet earthy-smelling cigars and leaving a trail of blueish puffs of smoke behind them. He walked in looking nonchalant... his greatest skill among all the flashy companions. He starts just snooping around a little while the flashier members of the group made their entrance.

Inventory
Lighter
Pocket knife
Wallet
Keychain
Cigars
Flask

Margery

Allowed Charles to push her the way there. He may or may not know that he is one of the very very few she will allow to do so. Once they are inside the lobby she looked around and points to the stairs. Over there. His place is upstairs... She turns to see if anyone is manning the counter. Hopefully the same "bluenose" from earlier.

If they are: Hey! Hedgehog! You or the coppers ever head up to check on Walter?

Inventory
Purse
-Lighter
-Inhaler
-Lipstick Case
-Runes
-Wallet
-Perfume
-Compact
-Rosary
Saphire Ring
Pentacle
Jeweled Braclet
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Dr. Rupert Twaddle

Dr. Twaddle puffs, pausing to adjust his vest and overcoat as he enters the lobby. He looks across the loitering residents, the empty window, and then to the indicated stair. "I presume time remains of the essence," he says and heads up the stair to the indicated room.

Inventory:
Overcoat, wool suit, Derby hat, Sweater vest
Knob-topped blackthorn cane
"Trusty" the revolver, holstered in the back of his trousers
His satchel, filled with books and notetaking supplies, occult parephenalia (salt, chalk, meaningful rocks, strange ungents, rune seals, etc), pipe and tobacco pouch, and his rolled-up set of archaeology tools
Large ring of keys in his pocket
Lighter
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

“You see Chip, I have this idea for a yarn, a real pulp page-turner, and I thought you have the writing chops to make it happen,” Thurston says as he walks along the sidewalk with his colleagues. ”It’d be a real humdinger. Attract readers to my shows.”

“Margery, I hope someday you’ll let me spin those wheels for you. I can guarantee a gentle but firm ride.”

Upon reaching the apartment lobby, Thurston looks in Walter’s mailbox. Then he follows the others up to the young man’s room.
Personal items at the moment:
Wallet
Cigarettes/matches
Pen knife
Dice
Playing cards
1 smoke bomb
4 Snap pellets
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Bluehorse »

Margery

To Howard Darling, I am sure of it, and I am not against the idea. Chip is simply... familiar. You understand.

Wayne looking at the stairs and then over to Margery You gonna wait here?

Margery looking at the Mechanic with a raised eyebrow. Hardly... she raises an am up. Gentlmen? If you please?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Sam

Sam walks along, a step back from the others, his senses on alert as always. "A good day to be out for sure, wonder what we have in store for us today."

Sam is dressed in a once nice, but now bit used trench coat over a light wool suit with no tie. His hat is a bit more woodsy than the current trend in Boston. His loafers are well broken in and a perfect fit.
Tucked away under his suit coat is a .45 acp S&W M1917 revolver and a spare loaded moon clip in each of his suit coat and trench coat pockets (4 total).
A 1886 Lebel bayonet (knife/short sword) is in a sheath sewn inside his trench coat lining where it can be drawn quickly and remain hidden.
lighter
pen knife
leather gloves
6 foot of silk cord
silk handkerchief
wallet
keys

in the trunk of the car, wrapped in a wool blanket is a .35 Rem Remington M8 Carbine with 4 15 round magazines
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

When Margery requests assistance up the stairwell, Thurston moves to help the paraplegic woman. He smiles as he lifts her up, his eyes meeting hers.

"Shall I make you disappear?" he says with a wink.
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by DexterWard »

Date & Time: Saturday, August 27th, 1927 – 3:20 pm

A close inspection of the attendant’s office reveals a handwritten sign on the chair within that says “Rounding. Be back in 10.” Wayne doesn’t find anything else of interest other than the two men out front talking about Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti being cremated in order to prevent their graves from becoming a shrine. How Boston authorities are going to permit mourners to march in a memorial service on Sunday. And what might come of Vanzetti’s call for “revenge, revenge in our names and the names of our living and dead."

Peering through the holes in the front of Walter’s mailbox, Howard finds it very full with what looks to be envelopes and post cards.

Wayne and Howard assist Margery up the stairs to Walter’s apartment. Does anyone take her wheelchair up?

Margery guides the crew to the third floor NW wing. Most other apartment doors are closed, though a few are slightly ajar or fully open with various sounds of radio, tv, and voices spilling out into the hall. The door to Walter’s apartment is constructed of thick wood, with a single central recessed panel, and numerous layers of boring, uninspired, dull beige paint. The door is heavily soiled, with several large smudges of a dark black thick substance on and around the handle and above. Numerous cracks show through the layers of paint, and there is a ½” gap at the bottom of the door. There appear to be heavily grooved marcks just above and below the handle, as if a crowbar had recently been used in an attempt to pry the door open. The door swings inward. Anyone brave enough to touch the filth-ridden doorknob will find the door locked.

Actions!
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Bluehorse »

Margery smiles coyly at Howard and wraps both arms about his neck as he scoops up her frail form. Lucky for him, she weighs next to nothing and he gets a good impression of just how wasted away the lower half of her body really is. 3rd floor, hope your up to it, beefcake. Once they stand before the door to Walter's apartment, Margery will try to focus one what has happened her. I don't like the looks of those marks. Looks like someone tried to get in, alright.

Margery will try to get a psychic reading on the door and immediate area.

[1d100] = 55

[1d6] = 6 [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Wayne grins at the lock and takes a knee for a good look. Yall keep an eye out. I'm going to try picking this. he takes out his pocket knife in one hand and some odd implements attached to his Keychain and winks.

[1d100] = 98 :oops: :SAN:
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Grognardsw »

DexterWard wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 pm ...Peering through the holes in the front of Walter’s mailbox, Howard finds it very full with what looks to be envelopes and post cards.
Thurston tries to open the mailbox door. If locked, he walks into the empty attendant’s office and looks around for a key to the mailbox or the door into the mail room (where the mail would be put into the slots which the residents access from the door on the other side of the wall?)

Later at the locked door to Walter’s room, Thurston uses his pen knife to scrape some of the black substance on the door into a cigarette wrapper. “Perhaps we can have this identified.”

Thurston watches Wayne as the door lock vexes the mechanic.

“I think I’m relieved my mechanic isn’t an expert lock pick,” Thurston quips. “I’m not an escape artist who works magic on locks - that’s Harry’s domain. Though perhaps another could try? I’d kick the door in, but there are too many people in their apartments, some with doors ajar, for us to be unheard.”
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Sam

Sam brings Margery's chair up. "It doesn't look like they managed to get in." Sam will keep an eye out for other people.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Dr. Rupert Twaddle

The old professor frowns at the black goo on the door knob, then steps back to examine the door, frame, wall, and hallway. He then leans in to peer at the goo more closely, hoping to understand a bit more about what is going on here.

Occult (95/47/19) [1d100] = 8
Extreme success.

Assuming what he learns doesn't preclude this...

He looks to his companions as they wrestle with the lock, then steps forward himself. He raps on the door with the knob of his blackthorn cane. "Walter? Ms. Maergery got your letter. We're here to help. Can you open the door?" He listens at the door for response.
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by DexterWard »

Ptolemy's Scriptorium
Date & Time: Saturday, August 27th, 1927 – 3:25 pm

Thurston’s attempt at opening the mailbox and subsequent entry into the attendant’s office is thwarted by locks.

Wayne’s attempt at picking the lock to Walter’s apartment is unsuccessful as well. The old lock mechanisms within are simply too stiff with dust and neglect to be persuaded by his implements.

Dr. Twaddle’s examination of the dark substance reveals it could be dried blood but is much darker. A closer match, and more disturbing thought occurs to him – Europeans in the 17th century would consume mummy remains (ground skin, bone, etc.) and alcohol (sometimes mixed with human blood) to cure ailments. The substance on the door has a distinct character of that mummy concoction, but darker and thicker. He knocks on the door and pleads for Walter to answer.

While Dr. Twaddle is examining the door, Margery closes her eyes, trying to get some sense of what is beyond the door, or more importantly of Walter...After a full minute of concentration, scenes begin flashing in her mind. Walter is in the apartment. She sees a vial with a small amount of black fluid at the bottom, Walter's chest heaving, his hand dangling in front of thick soiled fabric. A darkness, a black void, threatens to engulf Margery's mind, tugs at her, then pushes firmly. The last thing she sees is Walter's mouth gulping in a black void, as if it had substance, thick and viscous.

As Dr. Twaddle listens at the door a soft gurgling moan can be heard from within.

While Dr. Twaddle has his ear to the door Sam spots a man in a well-worn, loose fitting dark blue pinstripe wool suit jacket, matching vest and pants, and scally cap exit the stairwell and head in his direction. Sam easily recognizes the man’s strength hidden beneath his attire. He walks casually but with confidence and purpose; the sound of his shoes padding against the vinyl floor tiles of the hallway speak to his demeanor. The man’s eyes lock with Sam’s and don’t waver. His hands are in his jacket pockets. As he gets closer, he begins to whistle a little tune around the cigarette in his mouth and develops a subtle swagger to his gait. He is 35 yards away at this point.

Man1.PNG
Man1.PNG (78.53 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

Actions!

Future Endeavors:
  1. Investigate news article: ‘i]“Wife of prominent lawyer missing – presumed dead”[/i]
  2. Margery: Work her sources to see what she can find out about the Black Drug
  3. Dr. Twaddle & Wayne (Tuesday): Driving to Nahant to survey the N. Cobb library collection
  4. Dr. Twaddle & Wayne (Tuesday): Discuss the Blackwood news ad with Harvey Wallace at the Grand Lodge’s Masonic Library (once finished at Nahant)
  5. Please let me know if I missed something
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Bluehorse »

Wayne looking a little put off at not being able to pick the lock right away stands up and shakes his head. Maybe if I can come back with some graphite to loosen it up. These old locks get all gummed up with age. I bet there is a hardware store close by that will have some. he then turns and notices the man looking their way. Hey fella, you got a key? We need to check on a friend in here...
DexterWard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 pm ...Margery closes her eyes, trying to get some sense of what is beyond the door, or more importantly of Walter...After a full minute of concentration, scenes begin flashing in her mind. Walter is in the apartment. She sees a vial with a small amount of black fluid at the bottom, Walter's chest heaving, his hand dangling in front of thick soiled fabric. A darkness, a black void, threatens to engulf Margery's mind, tugs at her, then pushes firmly. The last thing she sees is Walter's mouth gulping in a black void, as if it had substance, thick and viscous.
Margery not sure if she is back in her chair at this point or still in Howard's arms
Lets out a squeal and clutches at her temples. She then looked up at the door, wide eyed. We have to get him out of there now! Walter's inside and not in good shape! Bust her down if you have to!

Return to “In Dark Recesses (Pulp Cthulhu (CoC 7th ed.))”