1E AD&D, Into the Emptiness (Closed)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

1E AD&D, Into the Emptiness (Closed)

#1 Post by Paladin »

Gauging interest in a first edition game. We'll stick to the core books (plus UA) and try to post 2-3 times per week. Shooting for Mon/Wed/Fri.

Looking for descriptive players who enjoy both social situations and combat equally. Creative types who will take initiative and seek adventure wherever it may be found.

The setting is loosely Greyhawk-ish mixed with homebrew.

Introduction:
For ten thousand years the Emptiness has baked beneath a scorching sun. Violent winds destroy and remake the landscape daily. Mountainous dunes vanish and new ones are born after each howling sandstorm. It is a labyrinth of barren desert void of settlement or habitation.

But it wasn't always so. Great forests grew and withered there in the dim past. Mighty cities rose and fell, their names half-remembered and kings long forgotten.

Merchants skirting the edges of the wasteland speak of tantalizing glimpses of gleaming spires polished by white sand glinting in the far distance. They dance like a mirage in the perpetual haze of unbearable heat. But those few who venture to chase these fleeting clues are soon swallowed by the restless sand. The desert keeps her secrets.

One thousand years ago, the wizard Nolazar Bone-Caller fled the persecution of his fellows to pursue his fascination with death and the dark arts amid the comforting solitude of the Emptiness. Legends say that he sacrificed his mortal life for undeath and, thus inured to the elements, delved deep into the haunted waste to seek that which all men seek--power.

And as the centuries wore on, even the oldest of The Wise forgot the name of Nolazar Bone-Caller. Until, that is, a madman staggered from the desert, blistered and nigh unto death. White paint of powdered bone coated his flesh and the name of Nolazar spilled from his lips in an agonized cry.

His blasted mind disgorged horror after horror before he succumbed to merciful death. The shriveled man-husk whispered of bones rising from the sand, of ancient beasts stalking the dunes red-eyed and silent. He gibbered feebly of the cold eyes of a long-dead wizard and his hatred of the living who'd chased him from civilization so many centuries ago.

But the dying man brought something besides a warning. Those who touched his shattered corpse contracted a mysterious wasting disease. Slowly but surely it eats away at the lifeforce of its victims until they are empty, shambling vessels of flesh and bone. Death comes for them, but only until nightfall. When the moon rises, so do the dead. Cold eyes gleam and awkward limbs creak.

They rise from the grave and march unerringly into the Emptiness and are lost from sight. The disease has spread like wildfire and the king himself is offering a bounty of 10,000 gold coins to anyone who can find a cure or somehow break the spell of Nolazar Bone-Caller.

Over all lies the unspoken fear that, with each corpse that marches into the silent sands, an ever-growing army of the dead looms over the living with ill intent.

How long will it be before their master commands them to return in force?
Last edited by Paladin on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 1E AD&D, Into the Emptiness (Open)

#2 Post by tarlyn »

I would be interested.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Paladin »

All right. That makes two players, so far. :)

I think we'll keep this one on the small side. Three or four good players sounds about right.

A love of writing and a flair for the dramatic are very welcome, also. I am happy to give players plenty of room to help move the action. Flexibility is a good thing.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by tarlyn »

Very nice,

Am looking forward to playing. Any restrictions on races we can play, etc?

Is Unearthed Arcana an acceptable book for 1st edition?
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Paladin »

I'm open to most anything. If you have an idea you'd like to try, chances are we can make it work.

Sure, UA works.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by tarlyn »

Playing Gloomhaven this evening but afterwards will look at the 1st Edition PHB and the UA and let you know what I'd like to play.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

How are you wanting character rolls done? What is the base culture like? How are human and non-human interactions? Do non-humans "catch the disease"?

I think I have time for this. :) First thought would be a cleric, for obvious reasons.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Paladin »

You can roll however you please. :)

I think we'll base our adventurers in a city near the caravan routes which skirt the desert. An oasis of sorts. A cosmopolitan trading hub where cultures have blended and mingled for so long that there isn't truly a "native" culture anymore. Rather, it's an amalgamation of several.

There will be cities and towns farther from the trade routes which maintain more local flavor and bear more grudges against newcomers. I'm fiddling with those as I go.

The disease is equal-opportunity and afflicts everyone.

Attitudes toward demi-humans vary based on location, as well. The city is a sort of safe zone...coin matters more than how you look. There is an unspoken truce between factions and people groups which allows trade to flourish within the rammed earth walls of the city and along the caravan routes (A name for the city is coming at some point--haven't gotten there yet).

If you have ideas you want to work in, pitch away and we'll see what we can do. :D
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 pm You can roll however you please. :)
Ohh....that's a risky offer. :geek: I tend to take whatever good luck I can get. At least in gaming, real life has been pretty stingy!
Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 pmIf you have ideas you want to work in, pitch away and we'll see what we can do. :D
Honestly, it's more to help me with the description and development process. For example, I think "not from here" because I've never been in that sort of town and experiencing it vicariously through the character could be fun. Slightly older, maybe early 20's. Not new to the faith nor new to being out in the world. If we're starting at 1st level then maybe new to being an adventurer. If we're starting higher then someone who has matured as they grew.

Alignment NG, male human. Maybe from a proto-Renaissance "place" but fairly standard in stuff and tastes. The king is free to donate to the church but my guy would go smite the blight anyway. He just needs to not be the only one. Would be nice to have armor, weapons, and a few extra blessings (spells) to give him a chance on coming back alive.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Paladin »

In this particular game, I want to try a different approach than my usual. If players want to negotiate with me to assign stats at will and thus create very specific characters, I'm okay with that. Ideally, the game would provide a challenge even for a character with straight 18's, so stats aren't a hangup for me.

If you want to leave things to fate and roll for stats, we'll do 4d6 drop the lowest, arranged to taste. I don't care if you use the online dice roller or not. I won't be using it. I roll real dice because the sound makes me happy. Since I'm asking you to take my word for it that I roll honestly, I'll do the same for you all.

Also, everyone think of a magic item you might like. This is a harsh world, so we'll grant each character a magic item at 1st level. Create your own, if you like, and we'll hammer out stats for it together.

We're in a desert, so anything to do with water...food...shelter...would be useful. Or throw caution to the wind and ask for a +3 sword. If you can stay alive long enough to use it, you'll be formidable indeed.

Also, take max gold and HP at 1st level.

Trust me, I'm not giving away the farm. Any advantage will be critical. The enemy is high-powered, as well.
Last edited by Paladin on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Paladin »

I'm open to opinions about starting XP. Do you all want to tackle the desert at first level and undertake smaller quests to gain power before venturing deeper into the wasteland...or start with a few levels under your belt to dive into tougher problems out of the gate?
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by tarlyn »

Barbarian class from UA appeals to me.

His/her clan having fallen to the curse, gives he/she incentive to find a cure.

As well, Barbarian frightful of magic in general.

So a starting magical item may not be in his/her cards.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by tarlyn »

As for level / XP I'll leave that up to Paladin and group vote.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

Okay, I have rolls on the roller, mostly what I was looking for. As an aside, I don't mind rollers or dice, do whatever you prefer. I have some physical dice handy as needed. :)

I see him as easy to get along with, but his Charisma is only 9. Might want to chat about that since I enjoy building teams and coalitions. With the age modifiers in the DMG, he comes out as:

Str: 14, Int: 13, Wis: 16, Dex: 7, Con: 16, Cha: 9

I've been doing PbP for a while, and haven't really done a lot of progression in level based games. My recommendation would be to start at the 2-3 level mark to provide a little surviveability. I'm not sure what the UA Barbarian gets at those levels, but 3rd would put the cleric in line for 2nd level spells. With his Wisdom bonus he would have 4 first level and 3 second level spells. Depending on if you require clerics to select at the beginning of the day or just use them as needed, there's lots of goodness in "Create Water" when you live in a desert.

3rd level also puts him as a "Priest", so maybe sent here with enough experience to handle himself but nowhere near retirement. He is a working priest, and so it would be easy to get along with the Barbarian. Both of them know physical effort is key to success. The cleric just adds a spiritual component to it.

While we may or may not progress in levels, I'm more interested in character story arcs anyway. So, discussion items are whether or not there is an established church of his faith "here", what the status of the congregants and priests is, what the other faiths in the area are and how the various churches get along.

As far as religious stuff goes, he worships "The Creator", and it's a monotheistic faith in a polytheistic world. He's Neutral Good in alignment, and a nice guy willing to take mace in hand to fight evil.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by tarlyn »

I think Barbarians have some type of "survival skill". I didn't have time to read up on it last night as Gloomhaven ran longer than usual, heh.

I will look this evening and roll up some stats for her.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Paladin »

I like it. Unless there are any serious objections, let's do 3rd level.

Just use clerical spells as needed. I like to think casting ability itself is the gift rather than particular spells on particular days.

Religions, sects, and cults are as common as stones in the street here. Most abide by the common peace, at least openly, but proselytizing is frowned upon and considered poor taste by the wealthy merchant class. Most of them revere their gold more than any diety, though there are notable exceptions.

The poorer classes rely more upon the various faiths for sustenance, both physical and spiritual. I tend to place the classic Church of Law (named whatever) as a monotheistic bastion in a world of various pantheons, so that dovetails nicely with your concept.

The king is officially a little-g god himself, or will ascend to godhood and join the myriad others upon his death and burial, so there's another aspect of religion here at the crossroads. It's mostly live and let live.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Paladin »

tarlyn wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:57 pm I think Barbarians have some type of "survival skill". I didn't have time to read up on it last night as Gloomhaven ran longer than usual, heh.

I will look this evening and roll up some stats for her.
Nice! A barbarian will be very useful here. As will a cleric.
Modric
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by Modric »

I'd join if there is room.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Paladin »

Always got room for you, my friend. :)

We have a forum set up. I'll get us all added soon and we'll take off.
Modric
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Modric »

Cool.

Return to “Looking for players or games”