OOC I

dmw71
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#41 Post by Marullus »

Kalstone, sorry, I didn't realize there was already a druid when I went that direction with the character. I am happy to remake with another class if it is an issue.

At the least, I would want to make sure you and I have different directions and niches - from your sheet notes it looks like you are sylvan-oriented and aiming for animal-focus? If I am being costal and water/elemental focused is that different enough?

Just let me know.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by kalstone »

I'm fine with another druid in the party, but I did change my focus later and make it coastal.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

Rather than two Costal Druids, I can reskin to be a Storm Sorcerer. Thoughts?
Sorcerer: https://ddb.ac/characters/24896616/wfsqTE
Druid: https://ddb.ac/characters/24827718/heTfIG

The flavor is the same: a lot of it comes from Sage and Gnome, and I can keep the "Drowned Gods" theme for his magical element.

The biggest change is actually switching WIS to CHA. He's more "oddly likeable" and not so insightful anymore.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

The sorcerer looks cool.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by kalstone »

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I work in health care so my posting may be a bit spotty for the next few weeks (hopefully only a few).
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by dmw71 »

Thanks for letting us know. And stay safe!

I am actually working on updating my footer information to add the two new characters in hopes of being able to move you guys tonight or tomorrow.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#47 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I am actually working on updating my footer information to add the two new characters in hopes of being able to move you guys tonight or tomorrow.
A quick note regarding this:

Marullus, you picked a cantrip (Lightning Lure) that is from a source not being used (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide). Are you able to pick a replacement from the spells lists in the Player's Handbook or Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

Thanks!
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Ooops! Sorry about that.

I liked Lightening for his storm theme, but I can swap it for the standard Fire Bolt from the players handbook. Change made on the sheet
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Darklin2 »

Marullus wrote:Ooops! Sorry about that.

I liked Lightening for his storm theme, but I can swap it for the standard Fire Bolt from the players handbook. Change made on the sheet

Use Witch bolt it is the same thing.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote:Ooops! Sorry about that.

Hey, no worries. Without making any mechanical changes to how the spell works, I wouldn't have a problem with you reflavoring the Fire Bolt spell to be a spark of lightning instead of a mote of fire if you'd like. Still list the spell as being Fire Bolt on your character sheet, but just flavor the text of your action to use the lightning element instead.
Darklin2 wrote:Use Witch bolt it is the same thing.
Witch Bolt is a 1st-level spell. We're looking to replace a cantrip.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

Thanks! That works for me. :)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by dmw71 »

Cool. I'm having a busy day at work so I probably won't have too much time (if any) to work on the launch of this one during the day, but hopefully tonight.

I'm really looking forward to getting this one started.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by dmw71 »

Almost.

I'm really going to lean into the nautical theme for this one so I spent some time familiarizing myself with the aquatic rules in 5e. The preparation has also involved a bit of world-building needed from the start.

I'm very close, though.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

Cool! Here's some additional resources I just picked up. You can see if they help you at all.
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Calls From the Deep

Also:
Unearthed Arcana
This one as a Sea Sorcery instead of Storm Sorcery, which is exactly what I was looking for. Would it be okay to use it?
Instead of a wind-themed "fly 10 feet on a gust of wind whenever you cast a spell" it is water themed. (Storm also lets him be fluent in Primordial, but he already was as a Sage.) With Sea Sorcery, he can breath underwater and gets a swim speed, and it lets him add his CHA modifier to lightning damage cantrips (which may affect our rescripting of Fire Bolt at your option).
sea Sorcery.png
sea Sorcery.png (779.55 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Last edited by Marullus on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote:Cool! Here's some additional resources I just picked up.
I'm going to ask that you remove those links. It's probably best to actually delete your post.

For starters, none of the core sourcebooks for 5e exist in PDF format.

None.

That obviously includes the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which I do own; in hardcover and on D&D Beyond). The only rules available in the PDF format ar the Basic Rules.

The closest you can get to a legal, electronic version would be to purchase the titles on the D&D Beyond website (where I own everything except three titles):
  1. Manuale del Giocatore (Italian translation of the Player's Handbook)
  2. One Grung Above
  3. Dungons & Dragons vs. Rick and Morty
DDB-0.jpg
DDB-0.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
DDB-1.jpg
DDB-1.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
DDB-2.jpg
DDB-2.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
I wasn't familiar with Calls From the Deep, but just looked it up and see that it's a levels 1-12 campaign that sells for $39.95 on the DMs Guild website. It actually looks pretty cool, and I've added it to one of my many wishlists on that site, to consider purchasing later. I'm pretty sure the author and other talent involved in that project would not appreciate having their efforts freely shared.

The Unearthed Arcana content is free, and available on Wizard's D&D website. But I do not use it. UA content that eventually makes it into an official sourcebook will be considered, but even then I tend to ignore it (hence my limiting the players to just the Player's Handbook and Xanathar's Guide to Everything).

I would kindly refer you to the Rules of etiquette at the Unseen Servant, and follow-up Copyrighted Material topic where Rule #4 is discussed specifically.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: This one as a Sea Sorcery instead of Storm Sorcery, which is exactly what I was looking for. Would it be okay to use it?
As to this question specifically, I don't allow UA content for two reasons:
  1. It's untested, so there's no guarantee the content is balanced.
  2. It's not in D&D Beyond, which I rely on heavily!
    sea sorcerer.jpg
    sea sorcerer.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
That said, I'm not opposed to reflavoring things as long as there aren't any mechanical changes.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

Yikes! Thanks for editing and deleting the links.

This is my first time experimenting with 5e and I'll admit to being confused as to what is "untested" and "unofficial." Unearthed Arcana was a legit book in 1st edition and I assumed this was similar, as it has official branding on it.

I paid for a subscription to Scribd, which provided me a large pile of PDFs as part of my subscription and a statement they were acceptable for personal use, which I assumed includes "at the table" with my gaming group here. Not looking to break any rules or copyrights.

Whatever you allow (or disallow) is fine. :)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote:Yikes! Thanks for editing and deleting the links.

This is my first time experimenting with 5e and I'll admit to being confused as to what is "untested" and "unofficial." Unearthed Arcana was a legit book in 1st edition and I assumed this was similar, as it has official branding on it.

I paid for a subscription to Scribd, which provided me a large pile of PDFs as part of my subscription and a statement they were acceptable for personal use, which I assumed includes "at the table" with my gaming group here. Not looking to break any rules or copyrights.
Thanks for clarifying.

That Scribd site... I signed up for a free trial on that website once upon a time, and I could spend hours (many hours) flagging inappropriate content with little effort. There are so many violations of their Copyright, DMCA, and BookID policy, I truly don't know how they can continue to operate they do without publishers attacking them -- hard.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

Ahhh, much appreciated. I will probably ditch that account, then. When I googled "5e PDFs" they popped up and I assumed it was a legitimate licensure.

I don't have an issue with staying a Storm Sorcerer. I debated between it and Wild Magic and went with Storm Sorcerer as more to-theme even though it's main ability (speak Primordial) was redundant due to his Sage background. I really like swapping it for the ability to breathe underwater (a great explanation for how he is a scholar of deep ones and the sea in the first place!) but it doesn't impact play here greatly.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

Just a note that I've added an 'Aquatic Notes' topic with some helpful links.

I think I caught everything related to adventuring in/underwater and/or on a ship, but feel free to let me know if there are any helpful rules that I'm missing.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Aberdeen (5e)”