Part 2: Gladiator Initiations

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Part 2: Gladiator Initiations

#321 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sargent of the guard "Neither of those men has hired us or gives us commands." you notice the guards at the senators house back away. "We have orders to arrest others not just Mustafa, one Elamendai is also in our charge to be arrested. As we speak my second patrol is going to fetch her. But we do have something for you and some questions to be asked before your departure to be asked at the barracks if you will come with us."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by ravenn4544 »

Canis nods furiously "See! They are here to just ask us questions!" To the sargent he cautions, "That Elam lady isn't very nice - she was going to cook us with a spell I think! careful with that one."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#323 Post by Cwreando »

Gildor

Gildor looks to the others and whispers to just the party,"What ya think folks. Seems reasonable enough. I do have my concerns. We are being asked though and not commanded to return."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by PyroArrow »

Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin - Banded Mail AC 4 + Stone Warden Shield (+2): AC 2 - HP: 13/27

Rician says, "Very well then, we will come to the barracks."
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Rex »

Hantae

Hantae follows along with the others. Looking and mapping out in her mind possible escape routes as she moves along.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Dram »

Krakus- Decides to keep silent and follow the others.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#327 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Questions

The sergeant of the guard brings you to his captain at the barracks they lock up the "rat" and you see Elamandai is also locked in another cell still clearly drugged and not in her right mind. you are brought into a private office with a table and benches there is a woman sitting with parchment, ink well and quill ready to write down what you tell the captain.

Captain of the guard "Well now tell us your story. I've under good authority that you have been brought here from lands far away to investigate a matter for someone that has no authority. However his reasons are just his methods are not. So gladiators tell me what you know and have found."

There are guards outside the room but the door is shut and they merely are there to protect unwanteds from getting in. You all may sit if you wish or stand but it is up to you what you wish to inform the guard captain.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by PyroArrow »

Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin - Banded Mail AC 4 + Stone Warden Shield (+2): AC 2 - HP: 13/27

Rician says to the Captain, "Maximitus, hired us from far away lands so as to not arouse suspicions as we investigated what was happening to his gladiators and whom was behind it.
This lead us to Rufus Diophorenos the merchant, who got Zzonga from Elemaledia, who handed off Zzonga to Mustafa who acted as a courier for Helenties. Mustafa claims he was employed by Maximitus. The Zzonga was placed into the gladitor's drinks in order to make them unable to fight."

[OOC: I hope I worded that right?]
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by ravenn4544 »

Canis nods more rapidly as the story goes on and seemingly eager to hear how it ends - or whats really going on.. As Rician finishes, Canis points and waggles his finger, "YES! That!! exactly!... what a story!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Rex »

Hantae

"Certainly an unusual, but true story."

GreyWolfVT

#331 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Captain of the guard raises an eyebrow at the story "Hmm yes I see...that is quite the tale. I will tell you this we have confirmed that the gladiators that have become ill recently or lost battles they ordinarily would win and became ill are confirmed to be found drugged with Zzonga. My investigators had been unable to trace the source fully other than to the "rat" Mustafa. We didn't know where he was getting the supply or whom he was delivering it to until we managed to track the merchant down just after following you lot. He told us the same story you have sort of given though it was him supplying ingredients to make Zzonga to Mustafa, whom then was found delivering to Elemandai. Who now is in our custody and is clearly been drugged with the very drug she apparently supplies. She's rather out of sorts and impossible to get accurate intel from. The rat Mustafa is a known liar and you can only take what he tells you as a half-truth. Maximitus is not his employer, though his brother in-law is a questionable sort. We made the act of throwing you out as a ploy. You now have a choice we wish to have you investigate Maximitus's "priestly" brother in-law. We suspect he heads a cult within the city. The drug problem we will take over but it appears that we hae corruption in the senate. Helenaties appears to be the ring leader but due to his position within the city we have to ply a more tactful manner than you lot might be capable of. If you find any more information please bring it to myself or my sargeant." the captain watches your reactions and the scribe writes everything being said down. "I'll give you a new set of clothing and you will no longer be gladiators. If anyone recognizes you the story is you won your freedom and now work for Yalag. He is your contact and would like you to meet him in his office in the coliseum." he looks at each of you and shows you a contract at the bottom he indicates "This is an official contract if you each will sign it this will be proof that you work for the city guard. Albeit incognito, undercover whatever term you wish you use. It's official. However if you wish to decline we will have to ask that you depart the city as it will will likely draw your foes upon you. I will pay you what you were offered by Maximitus."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Dram »

Krakus I shall continue this investigation. Should we infiltrate this cult and gain there trust? He asks waiting to see if the others with to join.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by PyroArrow »

Rician says, "Yes I am in as I would like to continue the investigation."

Player:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Rex »

Hantae

"Then I am in as well."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Dram »

Krakus head spins in the direction of homeland. I am sorry guys My homeland calls. I must leave.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#336 Post by Cwreando »

Gildor

Gildor says, "I'm good either way as long as there is good loot and coin to be had."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#337 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cwreando wrote:Gildor

Gildor says, "I'm good either way as long as there is good loot and coin to be had."
Captain of the guard "You earn your freedom and are no longer bound as a gladiator or slave. Other than that you keep what you find unless it is evidence."

GreyWolfVT

#338 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Finale: (I suppose) Freedom!

The group those that wish to stay work for the city guard and Yalag as their inside contact in the ruse of still being gladiators. Those that wish to leave are allowed to do so and given the means to magically be teleported back to their homelands. Those that wish to stay in the city are granted official citizenship, and the title of Knight if they wish to accept it. Knight: is a non-hereditary title; it is awarded to those who have shown martial prowess, dedication and loyalty in service to the Empire. The Knight has the right to bear weapons and arms of any type, anywhere in the Empire, in spite of any local weapons codes (this is called the Right of Arms), though he still may have to surrender weapons when entering the grounds of the Emperor.

The investigation continues on and it is true that root of the Zzonga problem does indeed lead back to Helenites Osteropolus. There have been enough hints along the way that the group already suspect that their had't gotten to the end of the line merely with Elemedai and Mustafa the rat. As promised any charges against the group were dismissed by the city guard and granted freedom from Maximitus Chrystatarius. One link to Helenites since Elemaledai's demise, as shee was too far gone by the effects of the drug. It was discovered that Mustafa was the agent who passed her the poisoned zzonga.

During the investigation into Maximitus's brother in-law the group found Mustafa similarly poisoned. Diocletian Lascaroxenos was found to be a priest of Alphaks. Which is discovered to lead a cult of the evil immortal is somehow tied in with the unpleasant goings-on in the arena. However that was discovered to be false it was merely a diversion of Heleneties. Which was discovered in the investigations concerning the cult in which Diocletian is involved, in which the group seriously maimed Diocletian during an encounter. Other members of Diocletian's cult took it themselves to try and avenge the insult to their leader cleric, by ambushing single whole party in the streets of Thyatis. The group, in turn, searched for the ambushers, to discover the cult (which, remember, is illegal). The cult ultimately gets the punishment for such a crime.

The Case Against Helenites

The witnesses we have explicitly suggested for the case against Helenites are Carolus Anthemion, Phaedra Daphnorakenzes, Theodoric Demetravarius, Friedrich Lagmann, Saralasu Nuar, Pulcher Osteropolus, and Yalag. Following are a summary of charges which were brought against Helenites, and the specific witnesses and evidence that were relevant to each.

Attempted Murder (Greater Charge): Friedrich Lagmann has good reason to accuse Helenites of trying to rub him out. A search of Villa Osteropolus revealed, among Helenites' things, the poison that made the major domo appear deceased. Also amongst those poisons is the one that killed Elemaledai.

Murder (Greater Charge): Arranging the slaying of Eusebius Petarxit. Phaedra has a log book of Helenites' that details his financial transactions, such as bribes given and received, including paying a hired killer. Valentine testified supporting this charge, as well as Helenites' attempted murder of the prosecutors and witnesses.

Grand Theft/Fraud (Greater Charge): Manipulation of Arena matches for gambling gain. The testimony of Saralasu Nuar was most useful on this charge. Carolus and Yalag, the gladiators, corroborated by describing the effect of the zzonga on Arena events. Financial records were dug up, which revealed that Helenites had made an inordinate profit on Arena gambling since zzonga has been found among gladiators.

Tax Evasion (Greater Charge): Financial records and revelations of how much money Helenites made from gambling and bribes, money on which he paid no tax brough the serious charge of Tax Evasion. Once the fact was established that Helenites has in fact committed one or more of theserious crimes, the next step was to prove the senator's intent. Pulcher, as a character witness, and Friedrich, from overhearing the senator's plans, were most valuable in this part of the trial. It was possible to establish that the intent was Self-interest; more likely, considering the breadth and diversity of the crimes and corruption, the prosecution aimed for Chronic Self-interest, and Inhumanity.

In the end the group did put a stop to the crimes and help save some lives as well as put an evil cult and a corrupt senator out of commission as well as earned a grand reputation in a strange land and titles as well as citizenship, and a nice 250 (gp) lucian reward each.

this concludes the game! Thank you all for playing. :)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Dram »

Krakus says his farewells to his fellow party members and request to be teleported back to his homeland. Farewell my friends it has been good adventuring with you.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “Arena of Thyatis & Legions of Thyatis (Ad&d 2e)”