OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

#201 Post by Alethan »

rtdersch wrote:So uhhh...Hedge, we gonna get a little xp love from saving the king? A lot of us are pretty close to that next level!
lol

(and +1)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#202 Post by AQuebman »

rtdersch wrote:So uhhh...Hedge, we gonna get a little xp love from saving the king? A lot of us are pretty close to that next level!
Dont worry barring a death im sure youll see me again.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:
lol

(and +1)
Actually, it looks like everyone is from 400 to 600 xp away from leveling up...I just hadn't got around to awarding XP yet. So...in order to give everyone a chance of surviving the next encounter....er....fair shake, as the knight of the Hedge, I declare that every character shall advance to the next level!! :mrgreen: :o 8-)
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#204 Post by Hoondatha »

Neat! Thanks! I'll get to work updating things.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#205 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:
Alethan wrote:
lol

(and +1)
Actually, it looks like everyone is from 400 to 600 xp away from leveling up...I just hadn't got around to awarding XP yet. So...in order to give everyone a chance of surviving the next encounter....er....fair shake, as the knight of the Hedge, I declare that every character shall advance to the next level!! :mrgreen: :o 8-)
Aw, SWEET!!!(says the currently second level thief...)

;)

Or did you just mean everyone gets to second level? In which case, I'd prefer an XP number since I already leveled the previous encounter...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by AQuebman »

Okay I know I have the online resource but in general unless there are specific abilities gained are additional Hit points the only thing gained from a level?

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#207 Post by Hoondatha »

For a fighter, going from level 1 to 2, you get hit points and your THAC0 improves by one. That's pretty much it. You won't start getting extra stuff until level 3.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#208 Post by AQuebman »

Hoondatha wrote:For a fighter, going from level 1 to 2, you get hit points and your THAC0 improves by one. That's pretty much it. You won't start getting extra stuff until level 3.
So since I on my character sheet put a to hit on there if my THAC0 goes up in this case 20 to 19 then my to hit should go up +1 correct? Also I looked over that online resource and I don't see any benefit warriors get until around 9th other than health, saving throw, and thac0 bonuses am I missing something or were those the benefits you were referring to?

Also maybe I missed it but do I get additional proficiencies or non-weapon proficiencies because I couldn't find a good list.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge I was really young the last time I played 2E and now being so involved with DCC I've forgotten a lot of how the different systems work.

[1d10+2] = 6+2 = 8 2nd Level HP

So im up to 20 HP

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#209 Post by AQuebman »

Also I have two rules questions. Do we use the knockdown rules when a hit is rolled and are we using the traditional critical hit setup or the optional one where it's 18-20 to crit but you must roll 5 higher than the defenders ac?

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#210 Post by Hoondatha »

Actually, 2e doesn't have a "traditional" critical hit system. In fact, the rules explicitly state that critical hits aren't really in the spirit of the game, because they would have to apply to monsters and not just PC's, and it's not fun for a monster to take out your 12th level fighter with one lucky hit. There are two optional critical hit systems included (roll an additional damage die on a nat 20, but don't double any other modifiers, or on a nat 20 get an immediate second attack on your target), but they aren't recommended.

Proficiencies are the benefits I was mentioning. You get a new weapon and NWP at level 3. You're right; fighters really don't get much beyond hit points and a fast THAC0 progression (which you can think of as a +1 to hit, but really means you need to roll one smaller number to hit; ie: instead of hitting on an 8, you now hit on a 7).

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#211 Post by rtdersch »

Nokrugh Level 2:

HP's: [1d10] = 8

8+5(con bonus) =13
New HP total: 28

I can't wait until next level when I can specialize in my sword and finally start hitting things!
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#212 Post by Hoondatha »

Which sword do you want to specialize in?

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#213 Post by rtdersch »

I don't know that I care. Probably bastard though.
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#214 Post by Hoondatha »

Okay, sounds good. I'd like to reserve two handed swords for myself. :D

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by hedgeknight »

Also I have two rules questions. Do we use the knockdown rules when a hit is rolled and are we using the traditional critical hit setup or the optional one where it's 18-20 to crit but you must roll 5 higher than the defenders ac?
I've never used or played with the knockdown rules, so I'm gonna say 'no' on that one. As for critical hits, I've just been going with max damage on a critical. For example, if you are fighting with a longsword, specialized, and have an 18/00 strength, rolling a natural "20" would do 16pts of damage (8 for the sword, +2 for specialization, and +6 for strength).
Or if you're a rogue with no bonuses to strength or such, using a dagger, and roll a natural "20", you'd do 4 pts damage.

We can use this or the "double damage" rule or neither. Do we need to take a vote?
Or did you just mean everyone gets to second level? In which case, I'd prefer an XP number since I already leveled the previous encounter...
Yes, that's what I meant - is Greystone already 2nd level? Oh, yes, he is - I checked the sheets last night, and looked at the wrong total on your page. So, how does having 2000 xp sound? Fair enough?
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#216 Post by Belkregos »

Nice!

i noticed i didnt pick a ranger's favorite enemy or terrain for Cole, can i take like "evil lycanthropes" or something like that? followers of malar?
for terrain what whats the terrain they are currently on? woods?

lets do this!

[1d10] = 9
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#217 Post by Belkregos »

We can use this or the "double damage" rule or neither. Do we need to take a vote?
my vote for 2x damage, lets make this deadly!
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote:Nice!

i noticed i didnt pick a ranger's favorite enemy or terrain for Cole, can i take like "evil lycanthropes" or something like that? followers of malar?
for terrain what whats the terrain they are currently on? woods?

lets do this!

[1d10] = 9
Hey man - save that die roll; in fairness to the others I can't allow you to advance a level from 0 xp (that would be over 2000 xp!). I can do the same as I did for Greystone and award Cole 650 xp - is that fair? With the 300 he already received for the wolves, that would put him close to halfway to the next level.
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#219 Post by AQuebman »

In what section of that online resource is the section speaking of when proficiencies are gained?. I searched this morning and could only find info about them but nothing with progression.

So can I exchange proficiency with a new weapon to further specialize in Longswords :-). I only asked about knockdowns on crits because it seemed like the only enefit of increased mastery of 1 mlweapon but perhaps I overlooked the other benefits. That online resource is really awful for finding something specific.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by hedgeknight »

Chapter 5: Proficiencies (Optional)

Table 34: Proficiency Slots > lists initial proficiencies and progression for Weapon and Non-Weapon.
For a Fighter, you start with 4 Weapon Proficiencies and 3 Non-Weapon Proficiencies. You get a new proficiency every 3 levels. Meaning, you get another proficiency at 4th, 7th, 10th, etc.

As for changing a proficiency, the rule states:
Once a proficiency slot is filled, it can never be changed or reassigned.

Not sure what you want to do...and you're right, the online resource is difficult to navigate.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”