Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

Inferno
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

#81 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph watches the burial with some interest, but keeps his distance murmuring something about temptation and whatnot. But he flinches, and tries not to gasp audibly by the elven fighter's offer to scout. "I'm one of the smallest and the quietest, though he says quietly, stopping to rub his chin, "Mouser is amazingly quiet considering how tall he is. Either way I'd have no problem crawling close-ish to that altar and reporting back what's what. It'll be a snap compared to some of the 2nd story jobs I've had, though nothing's been a snap since hooking up with you lot." He spares a quick thought for the lost half-orc, but recomposes himself ready to leave immediately after hearing what the rest of the party thinks.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur helps the others dig, glad to be rid of the cursed dagger. When the hole is big enough, he drops it inside. He pulls his sleeves over his hands before touching it.

As he digs, he nods at Rudolph 's plan. "Don't go too far.
Every time this group splits up, it ends badly."
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hothhil nods at Rudolph's words, agreeing to stay with the others. Be safe. Nothing too risky.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will crouch in the darkness just away form the rest of the group in the direction of the altar ready to rush in if rudolph or mouser scream for help.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Inferno »

Near the Strange Black Altar of the Haunted Wood, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Five. Midnight. Wednesday, November 16th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

Distorted by the ghostly veil of fog, the spine-tingling, unnatural voices echo throughout the haunted wood.

The heroes discuss their next move in whispers murmured in the shadows. Mouser counsels rest, that they may regain their strength before facing whatever unknowable horror awaits them in the darkness. Alas for him, it is not to be.

They slowly dig a small grave in the hard, frozen earth and bury the beautiful necklace and the serpentine dagger from the Hell Mouth, while Rudolf freely goes into the night to gaze into the abyss alone.

The little hobbit disappears into the pitch shadows, in the direction of the heinous shrine. The eerie vocalizations grow louder with every step, when suddenly... (Rudolf, please see your private forum)

The rest of the heroes wait, in darkness and in doubt. Agonizing minutes crawl by in mounting tension and dread.

Actions?! (And how long do you wait for Rudolf's return?)

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 15/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 13/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/22, Spells: 1/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 20/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 5/9, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Dang! I thought Mouser was going with him! Hothhil would have gone at least part of the way for back up.

Hothhil waits ten minutes before following; he looks to Mouser to accompany him.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Not one for sneaking, particularly, Telkis will wait expectantly for Hothhil to return, hopefully with the halfling. He will wait about eight minutes or until someone returns before doing anything rash. If the time passes and they do not return, he will look to the others and make ready to follow, hopefully with back up.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#89 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I hope by having Rudolf go off to scout on his own that we have not added to our list of poor decisions.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser looks at Hothil defensively, "Why would I go to? They could get it- they could get us both! Let's be patient and wait for a bit..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Once the evil items are buried, Bo doesn't get nervous about the missing scouts, knowing that sneaking around takes a good deal of time.

When he hears Mousers response to Hothhil however, he takes action, wondering if ALL of the evil items have truly been dealt with.

The ridiculously tall druid stands over the top of the much smaller Mouser and speaks down to him in his deep baritone.

"What was that you said about......it? I doubt that was simply a slip of the tongue. Is there something you would like to share with the rest of the group, little friend?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by SocraticLawyer »

As quietly as he can, Urdur dons his gear, pulling out two of his daggers. He gets ready to begin casting one of his few remaining spells.

He waits, nervously and quietly, in the dark, until Rudolf returns.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos waits just outside the rest of the group, towards the shrine huddled down in some bushes. using infravsion to hopefully see rudolph form returning and keeping an ear out for any out of place noises.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser glares back and with a sharp whisper, "the only thing to share is remind you to keep quiet! Our enemies are close!" He moves a few paces away to listen to the darkness and signs of advancing....anything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Inferno »

Near the Strange Black Altar of the Haunted Wood, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Five. Midnight. Wednesday, November 16th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

Engulfed in shadow and uncertainty, the heroes breathlessly await Rudolf's return from a place of unspeakable darkness.

The grey druid challenges the Grey Mouser as Ingrid whispers, "I hope by having Rudolf go off to scout on his own that we have not added to our list of poor decisions."

After what seems like ten minutes, Hothhil can wait no longer. The elf plunges after the little hobbit, and is swallowed up by the pitch of midnight. The otherworldly chanting grows louder with his every step toward the heinous altar in the wood when suddenly... (Hothhil, please see your private forum)

Brevos grimly watches Hothhil disappear beyond even the range of his half-elven eyes.

Inexorably, time continues to tick by; apprehension and anxiety building with every passing heartbeat.

Actions?! (And how long do you wait for Hothhil's return?)

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 15/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 13/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/22, Spells: 1/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 20/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 5/9, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by wolfpack »

After 5 minutes Brevos is going to move forward slowly hping to get within range of his infravision to see what he hopes is hothhill and rudolph.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser waits with the remaining group at the camp.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#98 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Worried that their party members may not return, the cleric is torn between taking action and waiting to avoid potentially drawing the attention of whatever is at the altar. She sits, placing her head in her hands and waits. When Brevos moves forward, she follows at a distance but keeps an eye on him.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Daggers in hand, and spells at the ready, Urdur waits. He keeps his back to a tree, listening. He does not move towards the sounds.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”