OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#221 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:And when you say 'finished' would we continue on another chapter, so to speak? I, for one, would love to keep going if we could to get more familiar w/ 5e.
Rex wrote:I will be interested in another game when the time comes.
Scott308 wrote:Now, if it's a hardcover, I'm not as familiar with them... Either way, I'm likely going to be interested unless it's something I've already played.
BearSiren817 wrote:I’d definitely be interested!

Well, it's looking like coming up with a party of four won't be a problem... which is awesome! (Plus, this is super motivating for me to get my $#@^ together and get serious with my preparations!)

I really like this group, so it'll be nice to keep everyone together.

---
BearSiren817 wrote:I’m a little self-conscious on my writing abilities (former math/science A+ student and have my Masters in Accounting) so the completely story based/rpging online stuff is waaaay out of my comfort zone. I love 5e!
Ashley, I really don't think anyone could tell this was your first time participating in play-by-post. Honestly, I think you've been great. (Plus, regardless of adventure being run, the party can always use a good rogue). ;)

Scott, it is a hardcover. I am pretty unhappy with the new AL rules, and have zero interest in running an AL-legal game. However, I did just now go back and track down our PMs from back in February, and, unless things have changed on your end, I think we'll be good. ;) (If you keep your messages, check the one you sent on 'Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:41 am'). If not, I can forward it to you.

Actually, forget all that.

While this is not an official recruitment post yet, I'll just go ahead and share what I've started to prepare:

TYRANNY OF DRAGONS!

"Tyranny of Dragons is an epic story told across two adventure products, of which this is the first. Characters begin at 1st level, and by the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, they should be 7th or 8th level and ready to continue with The Rise of Tiamat. The ideal party size is four characters. If your group is larger or smaller, you can adjust the adventure’s difficulty by reducing or increasing the number of enemies present in a given encounter."

The first book, 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen', gets criticized quite a bit, and a lot of it is justified from what I've read so far... but, a lot of the complaints are unfair as the adventure was being written before the 5e rules were even completed. One of the biggest criticisms of it is that it's kind of rail-roady. Well, in truth, that is actually one of the main reasons why I selected it (believing a more focused adventure will definitely be easier to prepare for than one that is a sandbox (which most, if not all, of the other hardcovers are)). A lot reworking I've mentioned involve trying to minimize some of the "do this, then do this, then do this, etc..." structure that is in place and allow the player's to have a bit more agency in their decisions. A bit. ;)

Plus, dragons.
Including (I think) Tiamat herself!

(I'm still reading the first book, and haven't done much more than scan the second book -- but they do have her statted out in it.) :D

This will be a brand new campaign, with brand new characters. I also think I'm going to limit players to just the PHB, and probably Xanathar's.
(Though, I might be open to exceptions on a case-by-case basis if there's something from another sourcebook that an interested player really wants to try.)

I think it can be pretty epic!

Considering it's written to advance character up to 15th level, I'm fully expecting this to run for a very, very, very long time. Consider this game, for instance. Yes, I had some things spring up in the middle there where I was barely managing to update the game once per week, but we started back in July... and you're all still 1st level! (Granted, I'm sure you'll each by 2nd once this ends.). Still.

Well, there you have it. At this point, it's pretty much a certainty that that's what I'll be running next. And, truthfully, given how relatively slow play-by-post games take, it probably won't take that long to prepare for. Ideally, though, I'd like to also finish my original 5e game and have this new one as my only game, but I'm not firm on that as I've gotten pretty comfortable running two games at a time.

Anyway, time to update that other game. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by ravenn4544 »

I’d definitely be interested in joining that as well :).

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#223 Post by OGRE MAGE »

BearSiren817 wrote: I’m a little self-conscious on my writing abilities so the completely story based/rpging online stuff is waaaay out of my comfort zone. I love 5e! Mainly, because that’s all I know but the white box is part of my dowry if any of ya fellas are single and not celebrating anniversaries ;)

Hope everyone safe travels and a wonderful Christmas.
Dave wrote:Ashley, I really don't think anyone could tell this was your first time participating in play-by-post. Honestly, I think you've been great.
I concur with Dave's comments. I would never have known that you hadn't played in this format before. Everyone in this game was a pleasure to adventure with! :mrgreen:

If you ever want to give 1E a try, look me up. I would welcome you as a player in any of my games.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#224 Post by Scott308 »

I had a feeling you were referring to the Dragons series, but wasn't positive that was it. Could have been Rage of Demons/ Out of the Abyss.

When I said AL-legal, I didn't mean you running an AL game with the rules on gold (or lack thereof) and advancement. I was referring to the many, many published adventures for 5e that allowed for more than 4 players. I know there are plenty of adventures published that are not part of AL play, but I'm only familiar with a very select few.

It's not my first choice of hardcover to play, but it would be much easier to run than the other options. I'm in either way.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#225 Post by dmw71 »

Well, ladies and gentlemen... that, as they, say, is a wrap.

I will go through and formally work through this next round, but just looking at your attack rolls I'm able to tell that you've defeated the slavers... which is all she wrote for this one.

Scott308 wrote:I had a feeling you were referring to the Dragons series, but wasn't positive that was it. Could have been Rage of Demons/ Out of the Abyss.
Out of the Abyss was actually my first choice, but I realize that I am not nearly familiar enough with the setting, and I think, especially for that module, the location needs to play a large role.
Scott308 wrote:When I said AL-legal, I didn't mean you running an AL game with the rules on gold (or lack thereof) and advancement. I was referring to the many, many published adventures for 5e that allowed for more than 4 players.
Gotcha.

The module you guys just completed (Rats of Waterdeep) wasn't at the time we started, but has since become an official AL product.

So, yes, I would consider running those... but not by the AL rules.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308

#226 Post by Scott308 »

There are some pretty good adventures in AL, but there is zero reason to run them under AL rules unless everyone wants to take their characters to conventions/ stores. In a PbF format, using the characters in other formats doesn't really work. Since you can't take advantage of the main positive part of AL play, you don't need to deal with the drawbacks/ restrictions either.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#227 Post by BearSiren817 »

Totally missed opportunity for Sandro to yell, “Tortle power!”
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

Scott308

#228 Post by Scott308 »

:lol:

Return to “Dave's 5e Urban Investigation”