Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

#61 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks down his nose at the three unfriendly and untrusting lawmen.

Not only will my stay be quiet, if the welcome I get elsewhere is anything like this, I assure you that it will be short as well. Good evening........gentlemen.

Bo exits the small building, resisting his urge to heat up the pompous Chief Constable's armor. He decides to take a night time walk around the pond before heading to the inn. But first, he has Suphus fly up to the top of the Constable's quarters to keep a watch on the three suspicious men.

He heads due north and crosses the bridge, looking for anything suspicious along the way. If he doesn't notice anything out of order, he continues his spooky walk around the water.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Zhym wrote:Grothnak casts a sidelong glance at Pelias as the paladin practically interrogates the poor villagers.

"You can trust us," he says to Felicity and Killian. "Please, tell us anything you know of what has happened here."
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"Yes, yes, my dear... please don't cry. There's a dear. Who or what is bothering you? We'll take care of it. If it can be defeated by bludgeoning, I'll do it personally..." Telkis adds, waiting expectantly for the young lady's explanation.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Early evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

The investigators of the strange rumors of Briarsgate split up upon entering the village.

Long Bo the Druid converses with Magistrate Ruskadel, Chief Constable Allard and Constable Hulbar Onfre at the Constables' Quarters (2).

Bo looks down his nose at the three unfriendly, untrusting lawmen. "Not only will my stay be quiet, if the welcome I get elsewhere is anything like this, I assure you that it will be short as well. Good evening... gentlemen."

"Good evening," smiles Magistrate Ruskadel.

Bo exits the small building, resisting the urge to attack an officer of the law. Instead, he has Sephus fly up to the rooftop of the Constable's quarters to keep a watch on the three suspicious men. "CAW!" the crow cries as he ascends in a flutter of ebon wings.

The Druid heads due north, looking for anything suspicious on his sunset walk around the village pond before heading to the inn.

The map:
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (801.23 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Long Bo follows the town's muddy paths and roads, crossing An Old Covered Bridge (between 4 and 25).
  • bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg (393.89 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
The short autumn day passes away and the sun sets behind dark, heavy clouds as you walk by:
  • A Ramshackle Cottage (27), barely discernible in the dark, set back deep among a stand of tall elm trees, its dirty windows yellow with candlelight.

The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent (25), a small, old building with a colorful sign of a contentedly sleeping dragon. Flower beds brighten the front, and a fat, middle-aged woman sweeping the front porch greets you with a friendly wave.

An Abandoned Farm (24), a well built house with all its windows and doors boarded up. Behind it, the barn's door swings freely in the evening breeze.

You linger there, within that desolate, mournful tableau, as the light leaves the evening sky. Night falls. You continue on, seeing:
  • An Abandoned Windmill (northwest of 24) behind the barn, beyond untended fields.
    windmill.jpg
    windmill.jpg (199.88 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
    A Prosperous Farmhouse and Barn (23) where two young girls playing in the yard are called in for supper. One sticks her tongue out at you as she runs in. This house looks solidly constructed and recently whitewashed. Several goats and an immense pig are penned near the barn.

A Millhouse, Waterwheel and Pond (26), around which are scattered children’s toys, tools and farm implements.

Continuing on, you see the serene pond at the center of the village. Reflecting the dark sky, its still surface is now as black as mourning clothes for a dead child. On its other shore, you notice:
  • The Mayor’s Residence (10) overlooking the water. This is by far the most imposing house in the village.
You walk on, passing:
  • A Rundown Farmhouse and Barn (22) in need of upkeep. Chickens readying to roost. A vineyard visible out back. A scarecrow guarding the fields.

Ahead of you, atop a hill, is:
  • The Village Church (21). A stone temple to Merikka, benevolent goddess of agriculture, fertility and the harvest (chaotic good), surrounded by a wall and a line of majestic elm trees. The gates have shut with the setting sun, and the stately steeple bell tolls.
    Church of Merikka.jpg
    Church of Merikka.jpg (462.7 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
In your journey so far, you've seen no villagers walking this road. Following it around the pond, you see ahead of you:
  • A Small Cottage, (20) that can barely be discerned between the elm trees that surround it and the gathering darkness. There is a light inside it.

A Farmhouse and Hog Farm (19) that is dark.

Actions/Response to any and all of the above? Just because I move the narrative along doesn’t mean you can’t react to any of this.

Grothnak, Pelais and Telkis stand in the darkened Farmhouse (19) of Killian and Felicity Gade with curtains drawn.

Killian Gade says, “In truth, we fear for our lives. And the lives of our babies. For many months now… we cannot explain the forces at work in Briarsgate. As my wife said, we cannot trust anyone here any longer. Perhaps… we can trust in outsiders."

Felicity sobs uncontrollably, "Please, Merikka! Please, merciful goddess! I beg you. At long last, let our prayers be answered!"

Pelias seems uncomfortable with the crying, though he tries his best not to show it. "Mortal fear. When gripped by such a force, it infects your every though, casts doubt on every action, and renders every sleep restless. It is no way to live."

Felicity's gasping sobs become unrestrained tears of relief that someone might finally understand the nightmarish hell that their lives have become.

Pelias continues, "Perhaps you can tell us something precise of these happenings. How many are acting strangely? And what manner of action leads you to call them strange? And, with apologies in advance for offending you two - how is it that you are one of the few, if not only, that remain untainted by whatever foul force has imbued this town?"

Grothnak casts a sidelong glance at Pelias as the paladin practically interrogates the poor villagers.
"You can trust us," he says to Felicity and Killian. "Please, tell us anything you know of what has happened here."

Pelias subtly uses his holy powers to detect evil while others in his party speak. The young paladin senses no great evil here.

"Yes, yes, my dear... please don't cry. There's a dear. Who or what is bothering you? We'll take care of it. If it can be defeated by bludgeoning, I'll do it personally..." Telkis adds, waiting expectantly for the young lady's explanation.

Felicity Gade struggles to regain her composure, reassured by Telkis and her loving husband. She wipes her eyes and then looks into yours. She continues with a fragile, quavering voice, "Good sirs, please believe me when I tell you we are trapped in an unseen web of secrets. We live in terror, forsaken and forgotten. Briarsgate is dying. Once thriving and full of hope, our village has become a maze of locked doors and frightened faces!"

Killian Gade says, with steady determination, "Strangers are shunned. Trade has withered. Rumours flourish, growing wilder with each retelling. Our friends, terrified, flee their homes, abandoning their farms and the lives they've built here. Others... simply disappear. No one seems to know the cause of it all. There are no explanations for us."

“Please, sirs. Come to the back window. Let me show you,” Felicity asks as her trembling hand opens the curtains a crack. “There, the Foaming Mug Inn, over there,” she indicates the Abandoned Building (16) you passed moments ago.
Killian says, “A dozen townsfolk were found murdered there one morning, including the proprietor. A sword fight. But no one ever discovered the reason. Those people were friends and neighbors! The building’s been abandoned ever since. A year now, I reckon.”

Felicity points at the Blacksmith (15). "Over there. Poor old Jakob Smith. He's been out of his right mind for… coming on almost 10 months now. It happened suddenly and without cause."

Felicity continues, "Past Jakob's. Through there. That Rundown Farmhouse (13), Young Llewellen Cobb’s place. His new bride disappeared mysteriously six months ago. On their wedding night! No explanation. No funeral. No tombstone in the town graveyard. Llewellen won’t say what’s come of her."

Killian says, "Come to the front." He points from another window’s cracked curtains at the prosperous Farmhouse and Barn (18). "The widow Hochstedt’s spread. Her husband also disappeared this year. After 24 years of marriage. She’ll not speak of it. Nor will her three grown sons who live with her."

“Beyond her, the Book family’s place," he says, indicating the Decrepit Farmhouse and Barn (17). “A whole family up and left without a word. They were our good friends. No warning. Just gone. This was nine months ago. Never heard from any of them since. We don't know where they went.”

You all return to the back room as Felicity insists, “It can’t be that everyone is involved, it just can't be! In my heart, I trust the Mayor (at 10) and the Church (21), thank the goddess. But for some reason, we know not what, they've done nothing about it. You must believe us!"

Killian looks Pelias dead in the eye and says grimly, "No. It’s good that you mistrust us, mister. You’re right to do so. So many strangers pass through here. Like yourselves. They think it’s safe. Because it’s a town. But it’s not. It’s not safe. Don’t trust the folk you meet," he implores in deadly earnest. "Don't trust your friends."

Felicity pleads to Pelias, "The Weavers (5) in town! Speak to them if you don’t believe us! They’ve told similar stories, of strange happenings near them... at The Golden Grain Inn! (6) ...And how outsiders should avoid it at peril of their lives!"

"Someone’s coming," Killian suddenly interrupts, looking out the back window. "An old man with a staff... or a spear."

The warrior trio look between drawn curtains and see Long Bo walking alone, heading southeast down the path (near 20), coming this way.

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak listens impassively as Felicity and Killian tell their story. "We will seek out the weavers," he says, not even bothering to look to Pelias and Telkas for confirmation of the new plan. "Is there no one else in town you trust? Will you be safe here if we leave?"

He turns to the window when Killian calls out. "That is Bo, known as the Long," he says. Again, if Grothnak finds any humor in this nickname, his expression does not betray it. "He is a druid. He is often a friend of law and good. Strange, that is. Most druids are disgustingly accepting of chaos and evil."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Indeed, yes. The Weavers seem like a logical next stop. Shall we visit them tonight? We might scare them out of their wits showing up at their door in the dark... and say, I was headed to the Golden Grain to join, Vodarte and Ingrid when I ran into you...perhaps our first order of business should be to collect them, if that is indeed a place of dubious reputation, to gather ourselves together and formulate a plan of action?" suggests Telkis. He then turns to the young couple: "I am also loathe to leave you two alone here in such fear. Have you sturdy locks? Should we set a guard?"

Telkis will then excuse himself for a moment in order to run outside and collect Long Bo, if he's of a mind to accompany them, and give him a whispered update of the things they've discovered on the way back to the house.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo watches the gnome walking towards him with confusion. He wonders why he just exited a strange farm when he thought everyone was at the inn.

Telkis my good Gnome, what is going on here? Who's home is this?

As they walk together to the back of the home the druid whispers. I met the law, they seem to be up to something. This whole place seems to be trying hard to look normal, like nothing is amiss. I sense that is not the case however.

After being introduced to the young couple, Bo inquires about the supposed lawmen that he just met. He then asks who owns the two homes that he saw tucked back in the trees. (27, 20) He hopes they may be elves or men of nature, such as himself.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Thank you good woman. I can't speak for my other kins men but I will not be lingering in this village long."
He turns and walks off to the tavern to meet up with his other party members to see if they have faired better with their personal agendas.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by AleBelly »

After Bo and Telkis meet and Bo has asked his questions, Pelias turns to the family, concern on his face. He strokes the red stubble on his chin. "I drew the whole town's attention today with my pronouncements. And if nobody is to be trusted, I am certain that with that act I have added more names to the list of my enemies. Just as well. I like to know who my enemies are."

He nods towards Felicity and her husband. "But I fear we have put you in danger by visiting. Have you the means to defend yourselves? If not, I would be happy to bed down here for the night, near your entrances. I'm certain others in the party would too, though maybe not all of them. Now, madam, I am not requesting free room - I'll happily pay for the privilege. But you showed bravery in speaking with us. I shall like to offer your family my protection."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate

Grothnak, Pelais and Telkis stand in the darkened Farmhouse (19) of Killian and Felicity Gade with curtains drawn.

Grothnak listens impassively as Felicity and Killian tell their story. "We will seek out the weavers. Is there no one else in town you trust?”

Felicity says with distress, “In truth, it’s hard to know. Everyone is so guarded. We no longer know friend from enemy. But I still believe in the Mayor and the Church."
Killian adds, “Trust is hard to come by in Briarsgate now. We were close with the Weavers before the troubles, and so have confided in them since.”

Grothnak asks, “Will you be safe here if we leave?"
Telkis says, "I am also loathe to leave you two alone here in such fear. Have you sturdy locks? Should we set a guard?"
“I… I’m not sure,” said Killian.

Grothnak turns to the window. "That is Bo, known as the Long. He is a druid. He is often a friend of law and good. Strange, that is. Most druids are disgustingly accepting of chaos and evil."

The Gades show concern at the growing circle of those involved. “Are there… many more of you?” Killian asked.

Telkis meets Long Bo in the dark road and the two update each other on their discoveries in hushed voices. Telkis brings Long Bo through the back door of the darkened farmhouse. After being introduced to the young couple, Long Bo inquires about the supposed lawmen that he just met.

“Yes, all stern men and resolute. We know not their involvement in the troubles of Briarsgate," says Killian.
"Magistrate Grover Ruskadel has been with us for several years. It's rumoured he was an Inquisitor and a Witchhunter in Hookhill, for the Church of Heironeus, and was forced to leave there due to some sort of politics.
"Chief Constable Donavan Allard is a hero from the Goblin years, a dangerous, fell-handed warrior. Briarsgate owes him much.
"Constable Hulbar Onfre has only been in Briarsgate for a few months."

Long Bo asks who owns the two homes that he saw tucked back in the trees (27, 20), hoping they may be elves or men of nature, such as himself.

"That’s the cottage of the Widow Merridie (20), an elderly woman. She’s lived in Briarsgate for 50 years. She still does mending chores for her neighbors to earn pocket money," says Felicity.

"That ramshackle hut in the woods (27) is where an old beggar has taken up residence, on the edge of town near the graveyard. He’s a strange loner and none in the village have gotten to know him. In fact, some whisper that he’s responsible for the troubles," says Killian.

After Bo received the answers to his questions, Pelias turns to the family, concern on his face. "I drew the whole town's attention today with my pronouncements. And if nobody is to be trusted, I am certain that with that act I have added more names to the list of my enemies. Just as well. I like to know who my enemies are."
"But I fear we have put you in danger by visiting. Have you the means to defend yourselves? If not, I would be happy to bed down here for the night, near your entrances. I'm certain others in the party would too, though maybe not all of them. Now, madam, I am not requesting free room - I'll happily pay for the privilege. But you showed bravery in speaking with us. I shall like to offer your family my protection."

"Th-thank you, noble sir, for your kind offer," says Felicity with tears of relief. "Thank you," she says to Grothnak and Telkis.

Telkis says to his fellow warriors, "I was headed to the Golden Grain Inn to join Vodarte and Ingrid when I ran into you... perhaps our first order of business should be to collect them, if that is indeed a place of dubious reputation, to gather ourselves together and formulate a plan of action?"

Felicity gasps, “The Golden Grain Inn? No! If your friends are there, I fear they may be in grave danger!”

The sound of fear in Felicity's voice reminds Long Bo and Pelias of something she had just said.
Inferno wrote: Felicity: "...Young Llewellen Cobb’s place. His new bride disappeared mysteriously six months ago. On their wedding night! No explanation. No funeral. No tombstone in the town graveyard. Llewellen won’t say what’s come of her."
The company had met a young bride just recently.

DM Notes:
DM Hint: Int saves: Grothnak: [4d6] = 20, Long Bo: [4d6] = 11, Pelias: [3d6] = 11, Telkis: [5d6] = 17
All right. I'll throw you a +2 since it only happened yesterday. Pelias gets a simpler save because he fought the zombie bride. Telkis gets a harder save because he was separated at the time.

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well, if you believe they are in immediate danger, that clinches it for me. Who'll accompany me to the Golden Grain and who, if any, will stay to guard these kind folks? says Telkis. "I believe tomorrow , in addition to the Weavers, we should question the loner in the shack." he adds.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo

That ramshackle hut in the woods is where an old beggar has taken up residence? He’s a strange loner and none in the village have gotten to know him? Some whisper that he’s responsible for the troubles?

Bo looks concerned at the young mans words.

Unfortunately, this type of behavior is known to me. I myself have been labeled as such at different times in my travels. No, I think this person is simply misunderstood and I will be happy to seek those answers out myself. Along with anyone else who is willing of course. The gentle giant smiles down at the tiny gnome.

I must say that I agree with Telkis in that we should go and see to our friends post haste before anything evil befalls them.

Bo will accompany any others that are willing to head straight to the inn of ill repute to check on the status of his friends.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by AleBelly »

"All of us should look after our friends" suggests Pelias. "Killian, Felicity, after we leave, please lock and bar your doors and windows. We, or at least I, will return after we've seen to the safety of our companions. Have you quill and vellum? I shall post a note on your door stating that you are under our protection and if any harm comes to you they must answer to us."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

"The whole village knows our task and that we have talked to these people," says Grothnak with a quick look at Pelias. "Felicity and Killian are in greater danger than before they met us. We swore to protect them. A note on the door will not help them."

"I will remain here, if Felicity and Killian permit it. We will be stronger if others do, too. Send one runner to the inn to bring the others here. That is my recommendation."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#74 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo gives the paladin a quizzical look when he mentions the note.

Grothnak is correct! A note will not protect these fine folk. I will run to the inn and rouse the others if the rest of you want to stay here. Or, perhaps two of us should go and two could stay?

Where should we all meet up then? Back here?

In either case, Bo will make haste through the town trying to get to the inn to check on the status of the others in the party.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis also turns to Pelias. "Yes, Pelias, I agree with Grothnak . Although as we came here in the dark, and will be leaving in the dark, I believe there's still a chance that who or whatever's causing the trouble around here isn't aware we conversed with this young couple. Advertising openly that we were here only stands to put these people and their youngsters in additional danger. We still don't know what our enemy is doing or even who it is - and yet it certainly knows our intentions, what with all the public announcements and such. I don't mean any disrespect, sir, I'm certain you mean only the best, but we're going to have to be a bit more subtle in this enterprise if we hope to accomplish anything. I also ask you to reconsider the note." He pauses for a moment. "Of course, since they probably think we're going to announce everything we do we could try to devise a way to use that to our advantage, to get them to show their hand." He walks to the door."I volunteer to run fetch the others." If there is no objection, he'll take off for the Golden Grain with Bo, but staying off the main path.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by AleBelly »

"Very well" replies Pelias. "I did not expect to be long, so if they barred their doors I thought they would be fine. But if Grothnak is willing to stay, I'll accompany the others to see after our companions."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Zhym »

"Three messengers are a lot for such a simple message," says Grothnak. "The noble paladin seems eager to leave. Bo and Telkias, would at least one of you remain here to help protect these people whose lives we put in danger? I am a good fighter, but even I cannot hold off a mob if one shows up. And perhaps mine is not the face to calm them." He bares his teeth in what must pass for a grin.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Surely. I'll stay then. Bo and Pelias can retrieve our friends. If we don't see you two return in a few hours we'll bar this place up as well as we can and come after you." he says.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate

The investigators of the strange rumors of Briarsgate divide their forces even further...

Hoom Feethos walks east, away from the Golden Grain Inn (6). The village quickly grows as dark and quiet as the grave.

The map of your path and what you see on it:
Abridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Abridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (613.41 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Hoom sees for the first time:

The Livery Stable (8), a broken down wooden structure with a sagging front porch. The last traces of a paint job cling to small areas of the walls but in many areas the exposed, bare wood has started to rot. A fenced walkway leads from the road to the back of the house. The rich smell of horses and manure is strong here.

The General Mercantile (12) is a well-kept establishment with farm implements and cooking utensils displayed on its wide porch. The door is closed and a well-painted sign of a pot, plow, sack and lantern hangs above it.

At the next crossroads (near 8, 9 and 12) he can see the serene pond at the center of the village, and on the other shore, a Farmhouse (22) and the Church (21).

Hoom continues southeast down the empty main road. Ahead, he can see The Mayor’s Residence (10), A Rundown Farmhouse (13) and The Tailor Shop (11).
Hoom approaches the small cottage (9) where elves are said to live. It's been freshly whitewashed, heavy curtains hang in the windows, and the door is shut.

Hoom's knock brings no answer from the unlit cottage.
He notices near the door a rare Eildon Plant, sacred to elves. It has been allowed to wither and die.
Suddenly, Hoom hears someone coming up behind him! He turns to see...

To be continued below!

Grothnak, Long Bo, Pelias and Telkis learn dark truths about Briarsgate from the Gade family in their Farmhouse (19).

Felicity gasps, “The Golden Grain Inn? No! If your friends are there, I fear they may be in grave danger!”

The adventurers quickly confer and decide to send Bo and Pelias to The Golden Grain Inn (6) to warn their companions. They leave in haste through the back door.

Grothnak and Telkis stay behind with the Gades to protect them and their children. "We don't know how to thank you!" says Felicity gratefully.

"Please, be seated," says Killian, risking some candlelight.
Felicity puts out a cold supper, including some delicious smoked pork.

"Mama? Papa? ...I heard voices," says a small child standing in the kitchen doorway. He is surprised to find Gnomish and Half-Orcish warriors sitting in his kitchen.
"Hello," he says, shyly.

The Gades excuse themselves from table to get their child settled back into bed, and perhaps to speak in private, giving Grothnak and Telkis the opportunity do the same.

Long Bo and Pelias race to The Golden Grain Inn (6) via the shortest path, backtracking Pelais' route.

The wind in the trees and the rustling of dead leaves are the only sounds. As they pass houses lit from within, they see shadowy forms moving behind closed curtains.

The map of your path and what you see on it:
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (801.23 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Long Bo sees for the first time:

A Farmhouse and Barn (18) that seems moderately prosperous and well-kept. There is light inside the house.

A Decrepit Farmhouse and Barn (17). Doors and shutters swing freely here. Abandoned desolation, choked by weeds.

The Carpenter’s Shop (14). A saw-shaped sign hangs before this well-constructed building. The front part of the house is unwalled. The shop is closed for the night, but a light burns within.

An Abandoned Building (16). The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.

The Blacksmith (15). The shop is unwalled and closed for the night. There is light inside.

The Tailor Shop (11), a small, ramshackle building in need of repair. A shutter has come off, shingles are missing and the walls show wood rot in several places. There is a light inside.

A Rundown Farmhouse (13) in desperate need of repair. The front door, porch steps and porch supports are missing. The barn is nearing collapse. A small, sickly, unharvested crop of corn and oats are in the fields. The light inside suggests this building is indeed inhabited.

The Mayor’s Residence (10), a house set well back from the road, overlooking the water. This is by far the most imposing house in the village. The wellcrafted home is also well cared for. You can see a carriage house in the back.

As the pair approach a small cottage (9) in the shadow of the Mayor's Manor (10), they are surprised to find Hoom Feethos knocking on its front door.

Hoom hears them coming. He turns and sees Long Bo and Pelias.

Actions?

Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Magic:

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo recognizes the elf and gives him a puzzled look.

Hoom? What is happening here? Have you seen the others, the ones that went to the inn? We have reason to believe that they might be in danger!

The tall man looks around to see if anyone else is within earshot.

What are you doing here? Do you know someone in this village that lives in this house?

Bo then notices the dead Eildon plant and deduces that this place might house elves, possibly friends of his companion.

I would like to hear what you've learned so far, and be quick about it if you don't mind. The very lives of our friends may depend on it.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”