On the island: About the Ship & Cove

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: On the island: About the Ship & Cove

#181 Post by SocraticLawyer »

tkrexx wrote:Glancing around she notes Lauranna's awakening and the confounded expression on the Dwarven Cleric' face. Ulrich, you are unable to force that thing away, why? What does your faith tell you about it?
Ulrich answers the Druidess without taking his eyes from the scene. He continues to keep the undead rats at bay, whilst checking for any sign of the red-eyed creature.

"I know not what that creature is, save that it is evil. It may be a vampire, one of the foulest and deadliest of the cursed undead." He pauses only briefly. "Or it may be something worse. Unlike these mindless rats, who cannot abide the will of the Dwarf-Father, it is free-willed and resists my attempts to coerce it. Two things I know for sure about it, my friend. First, it is an abomination and must be vanquished. And second, it is cunning as the night is dark. We must be vigilant."
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ATSC, Day 9: The sphere of darkness is dispelled...

#182 Post by Argennian »

~ When the unsettling, alien roar of pain and fury erupts from the sphere of darkness, it's encroaching area of effect within the northern edge of the protective spell bubble shimmers and disappears...

The eastern illusion and protection spell bubble returns to it's former state, but not before a sizable wobble and audible pop! Billy, Billings and everyone aboard the Seahawk gasp and holds their breath, save Jovak, Shanny and Ziffiris who are busy casting spells of their own. Not a segment later, the collective sigh of relief that the bubble didn't pop is shattered by a growling heavy thud and sound like thick branches breaking, followed by a strained human cry and the horrible gurgling of a death rattle...
"No!" cries Gentleman Billy before he sprints with unnatural magical speed from Lauranna's side, over the sand, through the bubble wall and into the remaining area of darkness...

The remaining giant undead rats also turn and flee, as if suddenly no longer compelled to push forward and fight against the unshakable divine powers of restraint the young priest of Moradin forced upon them. This time they follow no logic nor orchestrated tactic as they flee, and depart straight back through the wall of fire! All burn up save the biggest one, which flees in a well-done hobbling gait through the eastern edge of the spell bubble and back towards the dark safety of the cliffs where it's living cousins already retreated. Ulrich smiles in holy satisfaction with the realization that whatever was compelling them either cannot or chooses not to do so any longer. Farlon quickly reloads a crossbow and falls back next to the command tent to sink into the shadows.

Emm recovers from the shock of hearing Aramis's first real words since what happened back on the trail, and directed to her of all others! That and the glamorous spectacle of the young prince flying up into the air from the deck of the ship and turning invisible before he breached the bubble, heading off to do something rather than nothing.
The druidess approaches the protective bubble where the darkness just was and holds the magical light coin up and out in front of her. It doesn't appear to be shining through the bubble, nor into the darkness. The desire to do as Gentleman Billy did, and charge in to try and save her friends slaps her young and still mostly inexperienced face very hard, but she forces herself to hold. The magical tome of the ancient grove, and more importantly, the dreams and hopes of her former master are a heavy burden and an incredible weight of trust that she will follow the path of wisdom from this point out, no matter what the temptations suffered! She looks over to Ulrich and asks for verbal confirmations on what it is and what he suspects about it.
Ulrich, you are unable to force that thing away, why? What does your faith tell you about it?

The young dwarf priest keeps his eyes roving as he responds to the druidess. "I know not what that creature is, save that it is evil. It may be a vampire, one of the foulest and deadliest of the cursed undead." He pauses only briefly. "Or it may be something worse. Unlike these mindless rats, who cannot abide the will of the Dwarf-Father, it is free-willed and resists my attempts to coerce it. Two things I know for sure about it, my friend. First, it is an abomination and must be vanquished. And second, it is cunning as the night is dark. We must be vigilant."

Emm then turns to address Lauranna, despair assailing her visage as she hurriedly queries the High elf about what happened to her and what she saw, knows or suspects. "Lauranna, quickly! What became of you? What power held you?"

Having barely the proper time to thank Gentleman Billy before he cried out and swooshed away at breakneck speed, Lauranna gathers her bearings and gets to her hands and feet. "That bitch-child hit me with a spell, Where is she?"

The look of uncertainly on the young druid's face is enough of an explanation for the magic-user/thief. Lauranna then notices the magical darkness. "Where is that from?" she asks, pointing to the hemisphere of darkness. Waiting for only a few seconds, she takes off at a run through the nearly transparent bubble wall and it's slap/kick effect to circle the darkness clockwise, in the same direction that Sorel did, determined to put it between her and the ship.

By this time Griffo and Thalion have pulled themselves from the water, drawn steel and are moving up the northern beach side of the cove to regroup with Emm and Ulrich. As they do and begin to discuss what it is exactly that they should do, the sphere of darkness disappears. Many trees and the previously impenetrable area of flora has been trampled and torn asunder. Bogdan and Lauranna can suddenly be seen moving just within the northern treeline. Just to their west, Billy crouches down over what's left of Zimba. The old master thief works frantically in an obvious attempt to try and save him...

Actions?

Questions?

Opponents Killed/Incapacitated
Horde of Giant Rats: 61 (Wall of Fire: 23, Fireball: 9, Chain* Lightning: 11, Flight Arrows: 8, Crossbow bolts: 2, Thrown/Melee weapons: 8 )
Undead Giant Rats: 5 (wall of fire); 1 escaped badly burned/wounded
Red-eyed Creature: gone - taken 72dam from missile weapons (7 flight arrows, 2 heavy quarrels, 1 ballista bolt)
The growling within the sphere of darkness: gone

Party Positioning/Status
Bogdan: just within the northern treeline
Caelvanna: just within the northern treeline next to Bog
Emm: uninjured; with light coin on the beach just inside bubble! (distance now @ 10 feet from darkness; already cast faerie fire & speak with animals)
Lauranna: uninjured and mobile again; circling the area to the left where the former sphere of darkness was (@ the 9 o'clock position)
Ulrich: uninjured; holding position on beach by Emm

Total Days of Training to new level(s): 2 days (10-12 days of training still needed to officially reach the next level)

TOD: @ 2:38am of Day 9 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 20 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 34/34 ; Caelvanna 21/32 ; Emm 13/13 , Lauranna 16/16 , Ulrich 22/22 ; Griffo 34/34 ; Thalion 14/18
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword ; Caelvanna – short sword (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – spear & shield SC ; Lauranna - DDDs (dual daggers of death) ; Ulrich – holy symbol & shield / mace hanging on strap ; Griffo - longsword / short bow (arrows fired: 3) ; Thalion – longsword / longbow (arrows fired: 2) (SC = spell component/spell to cast, * indicates loaded and ready to fire)
M.O./Location:
In the northern treeline: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Lauranna
Down on the northern beach still inside the bubble: , Emm , Ulrich , Griffo , Thalion

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#183 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Certain now that the red-eyed creature is gone, and the undead rats dealt with, Ulrich runs toward Zimba, to see if he is still alive. If so, he will case Cure Light Wounds on him. If Zimba is beyond help, Ulrich will instead try to heal Caelvanna.

Cure light wounds [1d8] = 7

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by tkrexx »

No, Zimba, no!! The scene doesn't seem to register in Emm's head at first. Not until Ulrich's powerful form bolts forth does the Druid fully realize that the noble southerner has fallen. She starts a quick visual reconnoiter, but finds herself hurtling after the Dwarven Priest.

Emm will also cast Cure Light Wounds on Zimba, or Bog.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna continues her current heading, pretty sure she will be of little help in the darkness.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ATSC, Day 9: The party gathers their fallen and regroups...

#186 Post by Argennian »

~ Ulrich is the first of those on the beach to react when the sphere of darkness vanishes, moving quickly through the spell bubble and over to where Gentleman Billy appeared in the now-tattered northern treeline, crouching down over Zimba's still and motionless form. His plan is obviously to cast a cure light wounds spell and save the day for the big southerner sergeant but upon arrival in the broken flora realizes it's too late. Emm arrives behind the young cleric, still searching their perimeter for any further signs of the glowing red eyes. When she finally looks down and sees for the first time, she gasps and has to turn away from the nightmarish spectacle.

The powerful warrior and master of weapons looks to have been ripped nearly in half at the stomach and belt line. In fact, only bits of his masterwork chain armor and heavy weapons-harness remain to sort of hold him together. His own blood and gore-soaked visage is one of eternal horror, his mouth agape as if in a scream and his eyes wide from the realization that he had bumped into a fate most grisly there in the magical darkness. Griffo and Thalion arrive next, looks of both shock and disbelief registering upon their visages as they see their former friend and trainer lying dead.

Tears pour from Billy's eyes and down his cheeks like miniature waterfalls. The old master thief removes his cloak and lies it over the big man's remains. Realizing that there's nothing further that can be done, the halfling fighter and Wood elf fighter/thief begin searching the immediate area for clues as Ulrich and Emm turn their healing attentions on Bogdan and Caelvanna. The priest of Moradin moves over to where they are and casts a cure light wounds spell on Caelvanna (+7hp). The young druidess follows him over and prepares to cast one on Bogdan as well but sees that he doesn't appear injured, at least not physically, so instead applies her spell to Caelvanna...

Emm: casting Cure Light Wounds spell [1d8] = 5

The big half-orc swordsman and the Wild elf archer just stare at them and to each other without uttering a single word. They also look over towards where Zimba lies dead not twenty feet away and realize that could have easily been either or both of them...

Meanwhile, Lauranna bumps into Sorel and Cutler while making her clockwise perimeter reconnoiter for any signs of the glowing red-eyes. The half-elf easterner archer and the much more than just a cook human both shake their heads in the negative and tell the High elf and each other that whatever it was did not flee past either of them and appears to have simply vanished for lack of a better explanation. Cutler says that he wants to reexamine the entire area during the light of day and hopes to learn something more then.

The trio return to the scene of the most gruesome crime at just about the same time that Captain Billings and his first and third officers arrive. Arak and Bradley have a stretcher and with Sorel and Cutler's help, get their dead southern friend loaded up. Griffo and Thalion collect his battle axe and other dropped or scattered weapons and gear. Billy stands up and stares as the grim-faced sailors, soldiers and former brothers in arms to the fallen southerner carry him out of the treeline and back to the ship. The old master thief ushers everyone else back inside the safety of the bubble. His voice is strained and sounds very much deflated of its usual boisterous nature.

~ The gaggle of Karagonian escapees move back through the protective illusionary bubble. It's slap/kick effects do not even seem to register through the shock of what happened. The stretcher containing Zimba's body is carried back to the ship and Billy regroups with the party down on the beach. The old master thief wipes the still-flowing tears from his face and gathers himself before speaking.

"I know not what just happened... what we faced nor how Zimba was slain. I find it incredulous to think that that... child-creature, could have lived through the barrage it sustained to then somehow arise and do that to our friend," he details with a look of both anger and grief on his old and weathered visage. The loss of the southerner sergeant looks to have aged him more than the after effects of the potion of speed he consumed.

Griffo holds up Zimba's coveted battle axe. "Whatever it was, it would seem our friend landed a mighty blow upon it. His axe appears covered in the blood and gore of what must be the creature that slew him."
The now ownerless magic weapon is indeed almost completely covered in a inky bluish-black substance that does not resemble the blood or inner fluids of any kind of man or natural beast.

After inspecting the axe, Billy then turns to address the still silent and solemn half-orc and Wild elf warriors. "What happened in there, Bog? Did you see anything at all before the darkness appeared? Was it really that demon-child arisen that slew our friend?
"And you, Caelvanna? Did you see or sense anything while you were in the darkness, or when you entered it? Anything at all, any detail could help us here. We need to know as much about what we faced here..."

Opponents Killed/Incapacitated
Horde of Giant Rats: 61 (Wall of Fire: 23, Fireball: 9, Chain* Lightning: 11, Flight Arrows: 8, Crossbow bolts: 2, Thrown/Melee weapons: 8 )
Undead Giant Rats: 5 (wall of fire); 1 escaped badly burned/wounded
Red-eyed Creature: gone - taken 72dam from missile weapons (7 flight arrows, 2 heavy quarrels, 1 ballista bolt)
The growling within the sphere of darkness: ????/gone

Total Days of Training to new level(s): 2 days (10-12 days of training still needed to officially reach the next level)

TOD: @ 2:45am of Day 9 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 20 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 34/34 ; Caelvanna 32/32 ; Emm 13/13 , Lauranna 16/16 , Ulrich 22/22 ; Griffo 34/34 ; Thalion 14/18
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword ; Caelvanna – short sword (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – spear & shield SC ; Lauranna - DDDs (dual daggers of death) ; Ulrich – holy symbol & shield / mace hanging on strap ; Griffo - longsword / short bow (arrows fired: 3) ; Thalion – longsword / longbow (arrows fired: 2) (SC = spell component/spell to cast, * indicates loaded and ready to fire)
Spells cast:
Emm: speak with animals, faerie fire & cure light wounds
Ulrich: cure light wounds

M.O./Location:
Back at the beach HQ inside the bubble: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna , Ulrich , Griffo , Thalion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: ATSC, Day 9: The party gathers their fallen and regroups

#187 Post by dmw71 »

The normally reserved wild elf ≈considers Gentleman Billy's request, then begins to recall the series of recent events in her mind. Before she realizes it, she's speaking:

"I was rushing to assist Bogdan and Zimba ahead " she starts. " and they were just ahead of me -- maybe twenty feet or so. Suddenly, everything around me went completely black; even my infravision was rendered completely useless. It's as if my eyes were closed tight in a very dark room." she continues. "There was also a soft purple glow," she continues to rattle off in her stream of consciousness recollection of events. "I called out to Bog and Zimba, but there was no response. And it was significantly colder inside the darkness."

"There was the familiar, deep guttural growl, so I kept trying to move towards it, all the while conscious of where Bog and Zimba were last standing, and what armor they were wearing in case I bumped into them accidentally... I think I did, actually. Bogdan. Because I did touch something hard and metal, and suspect it was his banded armor... only, it wasn't moving."

"Then, and I'll never forget this, but I felt a blast of horrid, icy breath on my face. I jumped back, thankfully, because I sensed and heard the sound of great jaws snapping shut where my face used to be. I lashed out with my short sword and felt that I made contact,"
she says, looking to her blade to inspect it for the inky bluish-black substance.

"Next thing I know, I'm reeling from being flung backwards. I hit, and actually flew through a small tree and landed on something hard. Its powerful swat literally sent me flying like a discarded bone at dinner. It was unreal... "

"Then I heard the sickening sound of broken bones, like someone was being crushed."
she falls silent.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by Alethan »

Bog breaks his extended silence by first apologizing, "Sorry... I... I think I'm feeling some lingering effects of that spell." He shakes his head slowly from side to side, "It was weird. That darkness enveloped me so completely, I couldn't see a thing - no shadows, nothing with my heat vision, even. And then suddenly I couldn't move, not even with that new ring we found. All I could do was listen. And all I heard was that growl and the sounds of fighting."

He lapses back into silence, apparently a bit shocked by the latest turn of events. He stares at the still body of the dead weapons trainer, an unsettled look on his face.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by tkrexx »

The glow! Emm suddenly barks. The Starfire I called to encircle the creature, it should still be in effect. She begins looking about in earnest, still not straying outside the magic bubble.

Spell component marked off.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrichwill seek out Lord Jovak, making sure he is all right. If all is well he will ask Jovak what he observed, as well as making the appropriate funerary arrangements for Zimba.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ATSC, Day 9: The party regroups after dawn

#191 Post by Argennian »

~ Caelvanna responds to Gentleman Billy first. She describes what she experienced while not being able to see anything within the magical darkness. Before detailing how she got swatted like a bug and sent flying through the trees and brush by the growling menace, the Wild elf fighter lifts her short sword and notices the same inky bluish-black substance covering the top 6" of the elven blade. It seems she too cut the unknown creature and was also able to draw it's alien-looking blood.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it," declares an invisible voice matter of factually from above and behind those gathered there on the beach. Everyone spins around and looks up to see Aramis appear out of thin air and land softly on the sand. The young escaped prince and obviously already capable mage returns the wand in his hand to a custom 3-wand holster on his belt before straightening his cloak and looking about at everyone gathered as if it was business as usual. Billy's face becomes one of immediate relief that the last royal hope of the people has returned safe and he waves back to Billings and the other relieved individuals up on the Seahawk.

Bogdan breaks the following awkward moment of silence first and responds to Billy's previous queries. He confirms that, just like Caelvanna, he too was unable to see anything within the darkness. And further than that, it turns out the big half-orc was also held in place by some kind of spell or magical effect, even though he had on the magical ring they were told should have prevented that very thing from happening. He couldn't move and could only hear the growling, Caelvanna's voice and sounds of fighting. It's obvious by the look on the burly swordsman's dark visage that he neither understood nor enjoyed the experience.

Billy and Aramis exchange glances and the suddenly outward and talkative young mage responds.
"It would seem no simple darkness spell then. It should not have been able to penetrate the eastern protection spell bubble as it did, just like that Ring of Free Action should have countered any holding spell or similar magic effect. I tried to dispel and negate it from above but was unable. I also noticed that Billy's continual light coin had no effect either, so it is possible that darkness was also some kind of magical dampening field in addition. Such powerful magic existing during the ancient times. Interesting if not more worrisome. Najania, Ziffiris and I better scrutinize any magical items of the those that were in the darkness, to make sure that they did not become unmagickated..."

Emm is the next to speak up, blurting out the fact that her druidic faerie fire spell should still be in effect and looking about the cove to see if there's any sign of her magical illumination present. She and the others gathered on the beach see none.
Billy calls up to those on the ship to keep an eye out for the soft purple glow. They acknowledge and reply with no further visual contact either. Aramis then appears to dispel the wall of fire that was still burning and responds to the druidess.
"I looked for any sign of that faerie-fired creature from above but saw nothing. Unless there's an underground tunnel in the northern treeline that we don't know about, it must have had a way to teleport or perhaps plane-shift out of the darkness effect. Or if we did kill it as I suspect, something else with it did...

"Anyway, I employed my Wand of Enemy Detection from above, it was pointing straight down into the darkness until just before it dispelled. It then pointed towards that cave crevice at the base of the cliffs, over where some of you killed the snake and found those old crates. Perhaps it departed that way. If not, there was another enemy present. Could be that's where the giant rats fled back to, or..."
he trails off, looking over to Billy as if he'd like to go find out.

The old thief's face immediately screws distasteful and he makes no effort to conceal it. He looks the young mage square in the eyes very seriously and slowly shakes his head in the negative. "I think it best we remain within the bubble until daybreak, my prince. We've already lost one friend this night, and I would not allow for such a chance again. Let us fall back to the ship, to recover and regroup. Dawn will be along soon enough. We need to figure out what we're going to do and how we're going to do it."

It's then Aramis's turn to wear the sour face. The previously-wordless and now suddenly brazen young mage doesn't seem like he wants to wait. For a brief moment, it even looks as if he's going to argue that but Billy shakes his head in the negative again. That, along with his hard and unrelenting stare, dashes the prince's hopes before they can take flight. Looking down, red-faced and deflated, he turns and walks back towards the Seahawk without a word.

Billy closes his eyes, takes a deep breath and visibly relaxes before gently urging everyone else to follow suit with a tired and worried look. Once all friends are aboard, Cutler, Sorelle and Farlon deploy four small, strange-looking crates down in the cove outside of the spell bubble. One is positioned east of the beach HQ at the base of the cliffs and others inside the northern and southern treelines. The last one is placed on a small float out in the water, just inside the cove entrance and tied to a huge clump of water ferns and lilies that were placed there to better camouflage the inlet.
"Those countermeasures should knock out just about anything living that gets too close, at least by way of land or water," Billy explains, indicating their location and reiterating that no one should try and leave the spell bubble unless they're disabled. The trio of demolitions men then return to the ship and quickly debrief with Billy, Captain Billings and his officers. When finished, Farlon and Cutler head below deck on their next task, and Sorelle calls for Griffo and Thalion to accompany him on watch. The halfling and Wood-elf acknowledge as they make ready with their bows and nod to the others before departing to take up fire positions at the bow and stern of the ship respectively.

Satisfied that at least security measures are confirmed, Billy continues. "Okay, then. We're around four hours or so until dawn but more like five to six until the sea fog clears enough for us to get a look around the island. I'm hopeful that Emm can persuade her new avian friend to fly up and take a look around the island for us, and perhaps also the isle to the west where we saw those longboats go ashore, too. The more we know of our surroundings here, and exactly where that Karagonian warship is, the better. Then we make and engage our plans..."

Having detailed that much of it, the old master thief looks around at the party and carries on. "We'll also be utilizing other means of gathering intel. Ziffiris will try and use the eastern sensing stones and Shanny is already below, preparing for the ritual to speak with her past elders. She's going to call on them for answers about what happened here, and hopefully what we're up against. But the window to do so grows small and she will need a... volunteer to assist her in this," he details, his eyes already having come to rest on the High-elf magic-user/thief for the last two sentences. He smiles and rubs his nose in that funny way that those of the guild do from time to time.
"Lauranna? Would you be willing to help her?"

After receiving what he hopes is an affirmative reply from the only member of the party so far to have attended this ritual and also see the glowing red eyes up close, twice, Billy continues. "Alright then friends, please rest and re-up any spells you spent. See me for any logistics or special needs you have. I want to be ready for action tomorrow once we get a look around and see where that warship is. If anyone is still hurt, there are more of Shanny's healing elixirs and her revitalizing tea on the long table in the stern castle. There's also some eastern spirits if you want or need a drink. In fact, I would like for us to meet there in around five hours or so, for a light meal and strategy session before we put eyes in the sky. We'll figure out our next move then..."

Billy makes sure everyone has what they need before he departs to speak with the captain and continue making and managing arrangements. Ulrich departs to reunite with Jovak. He finds the blind dwarf general still up on the forecastle, solemn and obviously deeply affected by what happened to his southern master sergeant. He bids the young priest accompany him for prayers and preparations, and they retire to the captain's cabin...

Everyone else is allowed to retire to the welcoming warmth and comfort of their respective bunks or hammocks. Sleep is out there for any that can grab and hold onto it. There ends up being enough time for those that need to replenish spells to do so, as thankfully, nothing else happens and the time passes uneventfully.

~ Mighty Hazara breaches the watery eastern horizon on the far side of the island, dispelling the twilight and making dawn official. Her golden effervescence paints the high clouds in brilliant reds and oranges as she begins her daily ascent to her throne in the midday skies.

The party rises from their bunks and hammock beds and gets geared up. When they arrive outside on deck on their way to breakfast, the morning air is crisp and refreshing. The usual sea fog lingers about the cove and island and should begin to clear soon. The smell of fresh biscuits emanating from the stern castle is inviting and the party finds sausages, crab cakes, steamed rice, spicy eastern noodle soup and the last of the fruit stores to go along with them. Billy is already present and welcomes everyone to take a seat. It doesn't look like he's slept at all but he appears in somewhat better spirits than he was a mere five hours ago. He finishes his breakfast and drinks another full mug of Shanny's revitalizing tea before addressing the party.

"Alright friends, we still have a few minutes before we take our look above. I have a few details we've garnered from last night...

"First off, we've thankfully had no further contacts during the predawn hours. According to Shanny, we did in fact kill that glowing red-eyed demon-child thing with our missile fire. Whatever it was that caused that darkness and slew Zimba was something else altogether, most likely a beast or entity from another plane. Her elders believe it was summoned to retrieve the body of the demon-child and return it deep below the island to some kind of sanctuary area called the heart. They also told her it has since been returned to wherever it was called forth from.

"Ziffiris was also able to use the eastern sensing stones long enough to confirm that we have not yet been detected by the Karagonian Navy. Although the captain and I still believe they are searching for us and the other friends we were to meet up here with at the islands, Ziffiris sensed that they are here on another mission altogether. What exactly that is, however, he could not disseminate. Regardless, we must remain hidden from them at all costs, and hope that Commander Ziller and his team can also avoid them, wherever they are now..."

Billy then reaches down into a large footlocker and produces a pouch. He pulls out a small familiar-looking crystal that appears burned and blackened. "Aramis and Najania inspected Zimba's belongings and determined that two of his potions and his emergency locator crystal had been rendered inert. According to their assessments, this must have been caused by that magical darkness.
Bogdan, Caelvanna, I would like you both to seek out Najania below and have him check your distress crystals and any potions you had on their persons at the time you were inside the darkness, to see if they too were compromised..."

With those relevant points of order now relayed, Gentleman Billy produces two miniature charm bracelets from the pouch that are nearly identical to the ones worn by the party, except these have silver and gold threads intertwined with the blue, green and red ones. He hands one to Lauranna for her weasel familiar and one to Emm for her seagull companion. "These are for your animals friends. They will have the same calming effects on them as they do for us when we pass in and out of the spell bubble. In addition, these other colored threads will allow them to sense your presence if you're within the bubble, so they do not become confused if you are separated" he details, making sure the magic-user/thief and druid both understand before he turns his full attention on Emm.

"The time is now upon us, young lady. Can I implore you to have your new avian friend fly up and take a look around for us, so that we may be sure that we are still the only invaders on the island?"

OOC: all casters had enough time to be able to recover spells, so please note these on your Battle Sheets. Everyone else should be healed back to full HPs in addition. Once the aerial reconnoiter is complete, we'll reconvene and let you guys choose your desired course of action.

TOD: @ 8:30am of Day 9 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 20 days)

If you have any questions, or need some additional clarification, please let me know!

HPs/Status: Bog 34/34 ; Caelvanna 32/32 ; Emm 13/13 , Lauranna 16/16 , Ulrich 22/22 ; Griffo 34/34 ; Thalion 14/18
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – none / longsword ; Caelvanna – none / short sword (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – none / spear & shield SC ; Lauranna - none / DDDs (dual daggers of death) ; Ulrich – none / mace & shield ; Griffo - short bow* / longsword (arrows fired: 3) ; Thalion – longbow* / longsword (arrows fired: 2) (SC = spell component/spell to cast, * indicates loaded and ready to fire)
Spells cast: Emm: ; Lauranna: ; Ulrich:
M.O./Location:
In the stern castle dining hall: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna , Ulrich
On station guarding the ship: Griffo , Thalion

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#192 Post by Alethan »

Billy then reaches down into a large footlocker and produces a pouch. He pulls out a small familiar-looking crystal that appears burned and blackened. "Aramis and Najania inspected Zimba's belongings and determined that two of his potions and his emergency locator crystal had been rendered inert. According to their assessments, this must have been caused by that magical darkness.
Bogdan, Caelvanna, I would like you both to seek out Najania below and have him check your distress crystals and any potions you had on their persons at the time you were inside the darkness, to see if they too were compromised..."
Bog heads into the ship to find Najania and have him examine his potions of slow poison, healing, and water breathing, as well as his crystal.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#193 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna shared Aramis' desire to seek out the cave crevice at the base of the cliffs sooner rather than later, but will cede for the evening and instead follow Bog to seek out Najania to have her possessions inspected. As she walks silently, she begins to consider the items on her person which may have been infected and comes to the conclusion that the only potential items at risk are her locator crystal, a magical cloth charm bracelet and, potentially, her dose of Shanny's home-brewed healing elixir.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna is glad for the repite that this painful victory has cost them. Listening to the de-briefing, she is about as confused as the others. "Of course I will help Shanny. We need to know what exactly transpired here." she replies to Billy, adding a few signs 'not that I really want too go through that again.'

As the morning breaks, she is happy to tie the newly minted bracelet around Wily's neck. He doesn't seem to like it immediatly, but once assurred of it's gifts, he accepts it's presence. "Thank you for this Billy. I didn't even consider the effect of the bubble on him."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by tkrexx »

Emm watches as Zimba's body is carried as respectfully as possible from the battlefield, and feels her eyes welling up. If anything positive comes from this, it's the belief that the Demon-Child is slain, and that young Sam could not have been witness to the slaughter that befell the brave southerner. She dallies around the campfire for a bit, actually asking for a drink of the potent, foul juice shared by shipmates, then moves aboard the Seahawk.

The Priestess awakens early, just as pinkness decorates the sky to the east, and as been her habit since arriving at the Isle, strolls barefoot, with only her nightclothes and a blanket, to the warm sand for morning prayers. After she will await the tea she has become so fond of and seek out Ulrich, to find out what plans are had for Zimba's remains. I would add whatever blessing I am able to ensure peaceful return to the Aerth for this noble man.

When Emm finally does get a cup of tea, she spies Sam coming close, wiping the sleep from her eyes. Smiling greatly, she embraces the child for the first time in what must be days. I will show you something, she whispers, Something special! She whistles then, in an attempt to teach her seabird the sound means "come," and beckons to the avian with a chunk of crabcake.

Speak With Animals

I am happy you kept yourself from harm last night, my friend. Do not fear the child, she is only curious. I have another mission for you this morn. Once again I will ask you to fly for me and be my eyes. Circle this island, and if you can, the island to the west. I would know of the ship we saw yesterday, and of those it bears. Keep from danger, especially the evil crows who pursued you before, and tell me of any others like me who may be about. I will await your return. Take this with you always, she dons the bracelet given over by Billy around the feathered neck, it will allow you to find me wherever I am. Go, now!

Watching Kuda lift away, Emm speaks gently to her ward. That, little Sam, is why we should never ignore, and especially never do harm to any living thing without due cause. Otherwise, you could miss out on a beautiful friendship. Come, now, let us eat!

Approaching the campfire, the Druid nods to Gentleman Billy, an affirmation that action to his request has been initiated.

Spells updated.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#196 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrich will continue to accompany Jovak. He, Jovak, and Emm will help with any arrangements for their fallen comrade.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ATSC, Day 9: The party gets some intel...

#197 Post by Argennian »

~ Bogdan and Caelvanna depart the stern castle and seek out Najania. The old gnome spellbinder and renowned scribe is down below deck in the Archmage Lathalamas's former study and workroom, sitting at the broad desk and table there and still scrutinizing the mysterious small chest they found with his special brass looking-tubes. He seems to welcome the break and once briefed on their reasons for being there, politely asks the Wild-elf and half-orc to place all of their magic items on the nearby table to be confirmed. When the fighter duo produce their locator crystals, they find both are burned like Zimba's was. They place their 3 remaining potions, 2 vials and the so far 0-1 in action magical ring on the table.
The elder gnome then produces a wand of magic detection from his toolkit and uses it on the items on the table. He tells them the ring and potion of water-breathing are still magickated but that both of Shanny's home-brew healing elixirs are not. He then checks their anti-venom vials, even though they are not actually magical in nature, and declares the small shots of whitish-yellow fluid within are still good. Determinations confirmed, he produces 2 new locator crystals and 2 replacement home-brew magic healing elixirs, hands them over to the waiting specialist swordsman and archer and dismisses them so he can return to his ongoing studies.

Tired from the effort required to maintain and partake in Shanny's spooky spirit-ritual, Lauranna thanks Billy for the special custom charm bracelet for her familiar and moves up to the forecastle deck to join Ziffiris at the table there. The elder, retired Karagonian nobleman is wiped out from their long and ultimately eventful night, especially from his time with the eastern sensing stones. Having already finished his breakfast as well, he snoozes lightly in his chair as the High-elf settles into hers and proceeds to try and get her mage familiar's colorful new bracelet-collar on. Wily fidgets and fusses with it and seems as if he'd prefer to carry it around in his mouth instead of wearing it, but with the young mage's patience and persistence, he eventually stops squeaking, comes to accept it and nuzzles her playfully for the extra care and attention.

Having already went for her daily morning walk in naught but her nightclothes and wool blanket armor despite the current DefCon2 conditions, which caused the disabling of the powerful, magical crate mines surrounding the cove and drew the protection detail of both Cutler and Farlon whilst she was down on the beach, Emm gathers herself and makes final preparations for the Gentleman Billy-proposed aerial reconnoiter. She speaks first with Ulrich about arrangements for Zimba, offering to the young priest that she'd like to be a part of any funeral proceedings that take place and offer the Aerth Mother's blessings for his southerner soul to pass peacefully.

Ulrich silently nods his understanding before departing her and the others to rejoin Jovak. The still blind, beardless and burn-scarred high priest/fighter lord has taken up a position on the forecastle deck near the bow. He has a faraway look in his sightless white eyes as he holds his ornate silver holy symbol in his hands and prays to both Moradin and Clanggedin for their protection and favor. Ulrich joins him in prayer and adds his own words for the delivery of more new hope.

Emm then seeks out young Sam before calling Kuda down from his yardarm roost above with the sound for come and subsequent training-aid-wave of a juicy piece of crab cake. The druid's new animal companion flies down faithfully when called and lands on her outstretched arm to receive it's prize. Emm introduces Sam and Benny to the druid-charmed island seagull and it caws in thanks for the yummy morning snack and scrutinizes the front row spectators.
With the young child's eyes wide as saucers in mesmerized amazement, and her faithful stuffed bear companion clutched excitedly in an affectionate stranglehold, the druidess then casts her first speak with animals spell on her new avian animal companion. She instructs him to fly up and make an aerial reconnoiter of the entire island, detailing that he's to pay special attention for any sign of the Karagonian warship they spied on yesterday. She also tasks him with flying to the next island west for a look there as well. She affixes the custom-made protection-charm bracelet-collar securely around his feathered neck and reassures him that it's not a bad thing. The little island seagull caws it's understanding and with a flick of the the druid's arm, takes flight. He goes up and out through the bubble barrier with a startled caw before flying up and away to carry out the first facet of it's mission in an apparent counterclockwise flightpath around the island...

After using the following teachable moment to explain to young Sam about the beauty of all the Aerth Mother's animal children and how she must always respect and never harm them whenever possible, Emm leads her and Benny to the breakfast table in the stern castle where the anxious Sheba and softly-smiling lady Tamara are already waiting for the hand-off. After a quick meal and further reassurances, the druidess rejoins Gentleman Billy and the others down at the beach HQ to await the return of Kuda. The scores of dead giant rat bodies, both the previously-living and animated dead ones alike, have already been cleared from area.

~ More than 30 long minutes pass and still nothing. Blic reports no further sightings of Emm's bracelet-necklaced seagull, large black ravens or Karagonian warships as the morning sea fog begins to lift and slowly dissipate. Billy begins to look nervous and decides to deploy the suddenly arrived and geared up Sorel and Cutler to conduct a good old fashioned land-based scouting mission. The half-elf easterner archer is to investigate the northern side of the island for any contacts via the northern trail and the lightly armored and dagger-laden cook is to take the southern side for a quick look-see. They nod their understanding and disappear into their respective treelines.

Another long and dreadful 20 minutes pass and there's still no sign of Kuda. Just as Billy looks about to issue more orders, a familiar bird whistle sounds from the southern brush. Cutler appears at the southern trailhead and tense trigger fingers on weapons pointed that way are slowly loosened. He makes his way back through the spell bubble and directly over to the command tent to announce that he spied a navy longboat at a small inlet about three-quarters of a mile down the southern edge of the island. There's two well-armed and armored Karagonian marines standing guard there and he noticed tracks that looked like the rest of their landing party, numbering at least a half dozen by his estimates, headed inland towards the cliffs. He saw no sign of the Karagonian frigate, Emm's seagull, nor any black ravens, but he did notice that one of the two soldiers guarding the longboat had on a falconer's glove.

Billy begins to consider these circumstances when another familiar bird whistle emanates from the northern treeline and Sorel appears at the trail head. Missile weapons are again averted and he too passes through the eastern illusion and protection spell bubble to join those still gathered at the beach HQ. The half-elf easterner reports that he followed the main trail about a half mile before the thicket and brush got too thick to pass without being down on all fours. He spotted and avoided a few groups of wild island boars but thankfully no human invader contacts were made. Of perhaps more interest from his scouting mission is that he also discovered two more caves...

The furthest one is located on a southern offshoot of the main trail, just before it hits the really thick thicket. It's thirty to thirty five feet up the side of a northeastern-facing cliff and there's even a set of shallow steps carved into the rock leading up to it. Unfortunately, those steps are covered and somewhat obstructed by a huge growth of thick, funny-looking vines that would need to be cleared away to be able to use properly. Regardless, Sorel believes that cave would give them a much better view of the area. Not just the north side of the isle out to the horizon where the furthest west of the three largest islands sit, but perhaps also more to the eastern side of the island, over the dense treetop canopy and thick, restrictive flora there.

The other cave was a bit closer, off a northern offshoot nearby, down at the shoreline and similar in description to the coastal cave just north of the ship and cove that the party already partially explored. Of note just inside that watery cave is what appears to be the remains of a sunken canoe. It was about twenty feet long and perhaps five feet wide and looked to have been there for some time. It's construction suggests that it could be one of the kind that the native tribes inhabiting the three larger islands to the north and northeast are known to use, at least according to Gramps. Sorel confirms that he did not travel inside either cave, as he was not instructed to do anything more than conduct a visual reconnoiter. He did not see any ships, signs of Emm's pet seagull or any black ravens about either.

Billy considers the newly-garnered intel and then turns to address the waiting party. "Well, friends... it would seem that we have company here on the island after all. When those soldiers arrived, what they're doing here and from whence they hailed is what I'd like to know. Could be one of the two longboats we saw go ashore on the island to the west last night. They could have easily rowed here overnight or maybe earlier in the morning under the cover of the sea fog and we'd have never seen them. Or perhaps it was another longboat that was launched from that Karagonian frigate as it sailed by in the night? Trouble is, we still don't know where that ship is... she could be anchored or positioned on the eastern side of the island and we just haven't seen her...

"Regardless of the reason why Emm's seagull hasn't returned, I don't think we can afford to remain idle any longer. I'd really like to know what those soldiers are doing here, and if that warship is still somewhere nearby. Any volunteers to go keep a stealthy eye on the other island invaders? Or to perhaps see if they could get up to that cave Sorel found and get a better look to the north and east?"

Actions?

Questions?

OOC: okay folks, please go ahead and announce what your character would like to do here at minimum, or any other declared actions so desired. Billy would like volunteers to go spy on the soldiers on the southern side of the island and gather some intel about what they're doing there. He'd also like volunteers to go check out that cave up in the side of the northern cliffs and get a better look around. Otherwise, PCs could always remain at the ship and cove and wait for further developments.

POP: Bog & Caelvanna each have new locator crystals and replacement home-brew healing elixirs (1d8+1) from Shanny's reserves. Everyone else has all of the items they had previously.

TOD: @ 9:30am of Day 9 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 20 days)

If you have any questions, or need some additional clarification, please let me know!

HPs/Status: Bog 34/34 ; Caelvanna 32/32 ; Emm 13/13 , Lauranna 16/16 , Ulrich 22/22 ; Griffo 34/34 ; Thalion 18/18
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – none / longsword ; Caelvanna – none / short sword (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – none / spear & shield SC ; Lauranna - none / DDDs (dual daggers of death) ; Ulrich – none / mace & shield ; Griffo - short bow* / longsword (arrows fired: 3) ; Thalion – longbow* / longsword (arrows fired: 2) (SC = spell component/spell to cast, * indicates loaded and ready to fire)
Spells cast:
Emm: speak with animals
Lauranna & Ulrich: none

M.O./Location:
Down at the beach HQ: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna , Ulrich
On station guarding the ship: Griffo , Thalion

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by tkrexx »

Emm gears up after her seabird is on its way, knowing it may be a good while before it returns. Yet when Cutler & Sorel return from their respective recons...

Blast! Blast the blasted choices, the blasted invaders, blast her incorrest blessing requests... BLAST! Emm does her familiar frustrated stomping, her lovely, pale features twisting into something only an Orc could love. On one hand, she would dearly enjoy going after a couple of Karagonian Marines, especially since one apparently controls a falcon, presenting a clear danger to her own Kuda. A simple Charm spell might be of invaluable consequence, providing the exact intel her party & crew need. However, her own Druidic talents might well be best utilized traversing the tangled path toward the caves, and if there are wild boars...

I would accompany Sorel, the Druid finally rationalizes. I can push thru any tangled brush with ease, and it's possible these caves could be converted into a fortified position for us, defensible and hidden. If we can be on our way quickly, I might be able to convert some of those wild boars into guards, also. I am, however, conflicted. She lowers her eyes as Gentleman Billy gives her that oh-so-familiar "Of course you are" expression. It's also possible that my talents, in tandem with Lauranna's mystics, could land us a spy amongst the invaders. Be it known I am not in favor of engaging the invaders directly. Any molestation beyond the secretive would doubtless cause inquiry, and our only hope is to remain hidden. She turns to the Elfmaid. Could you weave an enchantment to render the 2 guards senseless for a time? If so, I may be able to ensnare one with a simple Charm. The falconeer could not only tell us of their current mission and knowledge, but also send us periodic updates concerning future activities via his bird.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ATSC: Day 9: Tactics & choices are discussed...

#199 Post by Argennian »

tkrexx wrote:... I would accompany Sorel, the Druid finally rationalizes. I can push thru any tangled brush with ease, and it's possible these caves could be converted into a fortified position for us, defensible and hidden. If we can be on our way quickly, I might be able to convert some of those wild boars into guards, also. I am, however, conflicted. She lowers her eyes as Gentleman Billy gives her that oh-so-familiar "Of course you are" expression.
~ Sorel nods in recognition of the young druid's talents whilst she lays out different situational scenarios, tactics and assets she could deploy. Gentleman Billy simply offers her a warm smile to accompany his predicted, personable expression. "That's good thinking, Emm. Please, continue..."
tkrexx wrote:It's also possible that my talents, in tandem with Lauranna's mystics, could land us a spy amongst the invaders. Be it known I am not in favor of engaging the invaders directly. Any molestation beyond the secretive would doubtless cause inquiry, and our only hope is to remain hidden. She turns to the Elfmaid. Could you weave an enchantment to render the 2 guards senseless for a time? If so, I may be able to ensnare one with a simple Charm. The falconeer could not only tell us of their current mission and knowledge, but also send us periodic updates concerning future activities via his bird.
Billy nods as he considers the young druid's words and shares a few looks with Lauranna to try and gauge what her reaction might be. Before he can come to a conclusion or she can respond, the usually timid and quiet cook steps up to him and nods.
"Beggin your pardon, sir, but I agree with the druidess. Those guards weren't sleeping but they were already settled in pretty comfy. Kinda like they had a long wait ahead of 'em... Anyways, I figure we could sneak up pretty close and get the drop on 'em. The casters could hit 'em with their spells and we can try to take 'em hostage. That doesn't work, we always have the old fashion way. Then Shanny or the general could do their thing... We could stage the scene and cover our tracks on the way out. Their mates come back and find them gone, they'll think they walked off to the east into the brush for who-knows-why..."

OOC: made a ton of spelling & grammatical corrections and added some clarification details in the previous action post. I still need to post that last encounter and will do so this week when able; TOD updated

TOD: @ 9:31am of Day 9 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 20 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 34/34 ; Caelvanna 32/32 ; Emm 13/13 , Lauranna 16/16 , Ulrich 22/22 ; Griffo 34/34 ; Thalion 18/18
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – none / longsword ; Caelvanna – none / short sword (arrows fired: 3) ; Emm – spear & shield SC ; Lauranna - none / DDDs (dual daggers of death) ; Ulrich – none / mace & shield ; Griffo - short bow* / longsword (arrows fired: 3) ; Thalion – longbow* / longsword (arrows fired: 2) (SC = spell component/spell to cast, * indicates loaded and ready to fire)
Spells cast:
Emm: speak with animals
Lauranna & Ulrich: none

M.O./Location:
Down at the beach HQ: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna , Ulrich
On station guarding the ship; at the bow: Griffo ; At the stern: Thalion

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#200 Post by Alethan »

The furthest one is located on a southern offshoot of the main trail, just before it hits the really thick thicket. It's thirty to thirty five feet up the side of a northeastern-facing cliff and there's even a set of shallow steps carved into the rock leading up to it. Unfortunately, those steps are covered and somewhat obstructed by a huge growth of thick, funny-looking vines that would need to be cleared away to be able to use properly. Regardless, Sorel believes that cave would give them a much better view of the area. Not just the north side of the isle out to the horizon where the furthest west of the three largest islands sits, but perhaps also more to the eastern side of the island, over the dense treetop canopy and thick, restrictive flora there.
Bog offers to explore the cave up in the cliffs. "Maybe my ring can help me get through the tangled vines better to clear a path for others," he says aloud, looking up at the mountain just south of the main trail.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”