Chapter 3: Arrival in Gaer Anobaith & the Foamy Mugg Inn

PyroArrow
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: Arrival in Gaer Anobaith & the Foamy Mugg Inn

#281 Post by Starbeard »

Arn the Congealer:

Sticks out his chest and takes in a hearty breath, ebullient at the thought of finally being able to get underway with their task.

'Well, three-merry-tidings and an old goat, hmphf! I do say, Master Hemlocks, that bridge is a conundrum. I suppose the first order of things would be either to find another path or to devise some safe passage across the bridge. Either way we might secure that small building near the statue and scout out the quarry from our high ground to see if there are any paths or threats between us and the keep.'

He tosses off his last remark almost as an afterthought, already sidling over to get a better look at the 'L'-shaped building with sword and shield at the ready—probably assuming that someone else is already off taking care of the other necessities of approaching the keep. As he nears the lone structure, he attempts to detect any evil presence coming from within.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Elusev Coldharbor:

Strings his bow, "I will use the high ground to scout for another way to the quarry. Everyone else can search here or clear the house as a base of operations." With that he quickly makes his way out, using the debris and boulders as cover, making his way around and checking for any possible threats or paths.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

Geez, guys, the description does mention 2 bridges! :roll:

So now, as the party approached the monolithic statue & observe the runes on it, Mugg chimes in,

"Ah, these are Dwarven Runes, folks, these runes list the family names of the numerous foremen that worked the quarry."

"Following these runes is a warning that reads:"

“Beware the first fruits burden. Give to the Soul Forger the first fruits of the earth as he made the dwarves first with his mighty hand."

"Those who heed not this advice shall toil in darkness with no rest or reward.”

"That my friends, is a quote from ancient Dwarven religious lore."

=======================================

Arn the Congealer sticks out his chest and takes in a hearty breath, ebullient at the thought of finally being able to get underway with their task.

'Well, three-merry-tidings and an old goat, hmphf! I do say, Master Hemlocks, that bridge is a conundrum. I suppose the first order of things would be either to find another path or to devise some safe passage across the bridge. Either way we might secure that small building near the statue and scout out the quarry from our high ground to see if there are any paths or threats between us and the keep.'

He tosses off his last remark almost as an afterthought, already sidling over to get a better look at the 'L'-shaped building with sword and shield at the ready—probably assuming that someone else is already off taking care of the other necessities of approaching the keep. As he nears the lone structure, he attempts to detect any evil presence coming from within.

Pointing at the ruined bridge Hemlocks speaks up. "If goblins are about and stay within the Marmor Keep, than surely they do not cross that way."

He scans to the right and left of the pit to see if there is another way to reach the manor.
Looking at the picture, I guess we can travel to the right and left of the pit to reach the manor and not need to cross the bridge/pit to get there?

Elusev strings his bow, "I will use the high ground to scout for another way to the quarry. Everyone else can search here or clear the house as a base of operations." With that he quickly makes his way out, using the debris and boulders as cover, making his way around and checking for any possible threats or paths.

Player's Map now showing Both Bridges:
marmor_quarry_color-Southern_Half_02.JPG
marmor_quarry_color-Southern_Half_02.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1173 times
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

As Arn moves stealthly closer to the 'L-Shaped' collapsed building structure & concentrates on it to Detect Evil, he notes a warm evilly glow about the building.

Elusev backtracks a bit & goes up a hill & notes that other than the apparently still intact bridge, they could just walk completely around either side of the quarry

to get to Marmor Keep & the Watch Tower.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Elusev Coldharbor:

Will head back to the group and report his findings, suggesting that they forget about the bridges entirely and go around the quarry area to get to the manor.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#286 Post by MrHemlocks »

Hemlocks:

"Nice going Elusev!"Hemlocks says as if agreeing with him.

"I will follow you around the pit and suggest the others do likewise. No telling what horrors lay in wait at the bottom of that old pit.

Since we can skirt around both bridges let's do it!"

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#287 Post by Cauchy »

Cayley:

The priestess muses, "Should we check out these buildings? Hate to leave an enemy behind us should any lurk there."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#288 Post by DadsAngry »

Tuireann:

"I'm sure they are empty Cayley but your right. We should give them a quick search. I'll accompany you if you go."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

Oddgar Says,

"Let us wait to see what sort of vibe Arn gets about that 'L-Shaped' building."

Player:

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#290 Post by MrHemlocks »

Hemlocks:
Where is this 'L' shaped building? I do not see it the map. Is it the square structure near the statue?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Starbeard »

Arn:
MrHemlocks wrote:
Where is this 'L' shaped building? I do not see it the map. Is it the square structure near the statue?
I'm assuming that's the one. It was the only one I saw on the map, so I figured it was either just representational or we couldn't see the L-shape because it's vertical or something.
Arn stops in his tracks, holding his hand up to get the attention of anyone around him. He points to the building, then draws his sword and assumes a hunched stance behind his shield. He starts edging closer to the structure, fanning out to the right of it, seeing if he can get a glimpse of what's inside the entrance before moving in.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Elusev Coldharbor:

Stands back, not moving up with Arn but covering him with his bow in case anything jumps out to attack him.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

End of Chapter 3!

Up Next Chapter 4: Investigating Marmor Quarry!

Player:

Return to “1A: The Inheritance - 1ed AD&D”