OOC / Questions to the DM

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC / Questions to the DM

#201 Post by Xaxyx »

While I am not the DM, I strongly urge each of you to take whatever this is to private message.

For the record, as the actual target of the in-character antagonism in question, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with Computer's character's actions. His character is a bullying jerk. His character is acting like a bullying jerk. To be honest, I'd have been surprised by any reaction other than the one he's portrayed so far. Indeed, I was *expecting* it, the moment I had my character throw his a glance.

Furthermore, I have every confidence in ToniXX's ability to moderate, manage and/or oversee the campaign in its every respect. This topic apparently came up for explicit, focused discussion in early March when y'all were forming the campaign. The consensus back then was that there would be no problem with it. When I was asked if I'd like to join the campaign, I read through that discussion. I, too, have no problem with it.

If you'd like to discuss this topic further with me, or have a threesome about it, I'd be more than happy to do so, in private message. Conversely, if you feel that strongly about it -- and again, I'm not the DM -- I'd suggest contacting ToniXX in private and raising your concerns. Otherwise, I suggest we drop the topic.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#202 Post by ToniXX »

Thank you, Xaxyx. I was going to say something similar, but wanted to wait a little longer to see how this plays out.
Xaxyx wrote:Furthermore, I have every confidence in ToniXX's ability to moderate, manage and/or oversee the campaign in its every respect.
Thank you also for this vote of confidence, and I hope you're right. I'll admit that I'm not too sure the best way to handle this (if it escalates), because I know that when similar things happen in FtF groups (especially when the players don't already know each other pretty well), it almost always ends badly, with someone leaving the group permanently. Of course, I don't want this to happen here.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#203 Post by Xaxyx »

That can and does happen, which is unfortunate. Without addressing this particular scenario directly, I have some general suggestions for you on the topic:

- Speak directly to the players involved, or even the players who aren't involved. Find out if they're able and willing to maintain the distinction between player and character. Make sure they're all having fun, and if not, why.

- Set some ground rules. It's your game world; you set the standards. If you flat-out disallow PvP, then that's the end of it. Make your players aware of your rules, so there's no confusion later on as to what's allowed and what's disallowed. This is no different than banning other kinds of behavior -- profanity; obscenity; etc. I'm sure I needn't list examples.

- Explore and enforce alignments. Your average lawful evil character, or even neutral evil, is somewhat unlikely to spontaneously murder a fellow party member on a crazy whim, I might purport. They'd probably need a reason, or a rationale. "How does this benefit your character?" Conversely, players who are of aware of and approve of the presence of a chaotic evil character in their party shouldn't be stunned and amazed when they wake up one morning with snakes in their bedrolls.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#204 Post by Alethan »

Nothing to see here. Play on.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Nothing to see here. Play on.
Declared Actions posted in the Action Thread! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#206 Post by migellito »

Hey guys - I sent ToniXX a note letting him know, but also wanted to mention here that I have had to go ahead and drop out of NewIron. I just don't have the time to commit right now :/ I will still be in Legacy, so I will see some of you over there

Good luck!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Argennian »

migellito wrote:Hey guys - I sent ToniXX a note letting him know, but also wanted to mention here that I have had to go ahead and drop out of NewIron. I just don't have the time to commit right now :/ I will still be in Legacy, so I will see some of you over there

Good luck!

Glad to still game with you in Legacy, Migellito... :)

...but sorry to see you go here. :(

AFWIW, May your time commitments one day soon release you! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#208 Post by Alethan »

Possible replacement for Migellito already in the works!
Alethan wrote:
ToniXX wrote:
ravenn4544 wrote:Interested if still available.
Yes, we could definitely use another player, but with this character now:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=452#p7706

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you set up ASAP.
And, FYI, that character might have the only magical weapon in the party so far. In our first encounter, the leader of the pack of thieves had a "well crafted" dagger on him that Kurm is supposed to try out first chance he gets. (Don't remember if he got to use it in that second encounter or not...)
In making that last entry, I was reminded of something... do any of the new guys want to take over maintaining treasures or kills? I only took it because nobody in the original party wanted to do it. But we've had 2 (maybe 3) new people added since then, so I thought I'd offer the job up again, just in case.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by rredmond »

Sorry all. Had an autism training in NYC that killed the beginning of my week. Then of course backed me up at work. Then came back to (well was dealing with while I was in NY too) having to fire someone and justify my job's existence. Also my boss is in a foul mood... someone who normally is in a yelling mood. :) I'll catch everyone up between today and tomorrow.
And we need a new Phanstern in the Slavers game it seems! Any suggestions? :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:Initiative [1d6] = 2

Bah. A poor roll. But iirc, a missile weapon that is ready to go gets a shot off before any initiative rolls kick in...
IIRC 1E does it that way, but OSRIC allows you to add your DEX bonus. ;) of course like you noted specialization comes into play here too. Gives Greg lots o' options.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#211 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
Alethan wrote:Initiative [1d6] = 2

Bah. A poor roll. But iirc, a missile weapon that is ready to go gets a shot off before any initiative rolls kick in...
IIRC 1E does it that way, but OSRIC allows you to add your DEX bonus. ;) of course like you noted specialization comes into play here too. Gives Greg lots o' options.
Yeah, one thing I like about OSRIC is that you can follow a rule... or not. The developers don't really care; in fact, they are the first to say no rules are set in stone except the Golden Rule: The DM makes the rules.

Oh, and daa-yam! Possibly 21 pts of damage in round one! Let's hope so, anyway... Would rather not get chewed up with bony ridges!

Excellent new monster, ToniXX! Very creepy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#212 Post by ToniXX »

I've clarified some rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=457&p=11175#p11175

Please check them out and post in this thread if you have questions or comments.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#213 Post by Xaxyx »

ToniXX, if I may, I suggest that we instead take advantage of the power of your roller, and set forth that each individually used missile item has a base N% chance of recovery. That way, the player can just roll [1d100] as many times as the number of missiles he fired, and determine on his own how many he recovers.

For example, I fired five arrows; so I could just put [1d100][1d100][1d100][1d100][1d100] into the roller to see how many arrows I recover vs. whatever % chance you determine for arrows (50%, for example).

It would be incredibly annoying to have to do this at the table, but here it's just a few clicks away! :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by rredmond »

Shhhh X, Image who side you on anyway??????
;) :lol:

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#215 Post by Xaxyx »

Pfft. I just know if I roll 1d6 I'm gonna get a 1. Ah needs mah arrowz! ;)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#216 Post by ToniXX »

Xaxyx wrote:ToniXX, if I may, I suggest that we instead take advantage of the power of your roller, and set forth that each individually used missile item has a base N% chance of recovery. That way, the player can just roll [1d100] as many times as the number of missiles he fired, and determine on his own how many he recovers.

For example, I fired five arrows; so I could just put [1d100][1d100][1d100][1d100][1d100] into the roller to see how many arrows I recover vs. whatever % chance you determine for arrows (50%, for example).

It would be incredibly annoying to have to do this at the table, but here it's just a few clicks away! :)
This was going to be my initial method. I've tried both in FtF games, and this is obviously cumbersome with real dice. I like the simplicity of my method, and it works great at the table, but I'll add your method as well, with the caveat that whatever method you pick ON THE NEXT ENCOUNTER (not this one), you must use that method for the rest of this adventure.

I've updated the rule thread with this new option.

p.s. I'm one of those DMs that actually WANT the characters to succeed, just FYI! :D

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by rredmond »

Sing it brother!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#218 Post by Computer +1 »

ToniXX wrote: p.s. I'm one of those DMs that actually WANT the characters to succeed, just FYI! :D
I dont know how to handle this, this concept is foreign to me.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#219 Post by ToniXX »

Computer +1 wrote:I dont know how to handle this, this concept is foreign to me.
ROFL!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:
Computer +1 wrote:I dont know how to handle this, this concept is foreign to me.
ROFL!

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”