Chapter 6: Into the Valley of the Caves of Chaos

PyroArrow
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 6: Into the Valley of the Caves of Chaos

#401 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Borum "The last I knew Victor went to get them to come down to us. I had intended to scout the caves again but leave the owlbear alone as it is no immediate threat to us at the moment. Where the others are is beyond me they all appear to care not that we even have a leader or intelligence."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Would we be able to see Choe running after the owl bear from where we are?

Maya, "I wonder if this is the true power of these caves, stirring madness and stupidity in all who come to make it easier for the creatures to kill them... Stay alert."

Victor, seeing that both Lutha and Wolfram are heading down the ridge, "See? They get the idea! Now lets go with the rest of you! Down to the valley we go!" He will try to herd everyone else to regroup with the first group.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#403 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mort returns to the others having seen the owlbear go into the cave to eat the gnoll meal.

Kormak surprisingly never left Borum's group. "I guess that is a owlbear happy meal."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ewat follows Lutha back down the ridge to the others. Idonea looks at him and inclines her head slightly towards Lutha. Ewat shrugs in response.

Idonea: "Okay, we have some semblance of cohesion in the ranks again. Shall we get back to the matter at hand?"

Baramoor
Guide
Guide

#405 Post by Baramoor »

Seeing some of the ridgeline party return and listening to their comments, Wexley smiles widely.

Well, we know Orcs are in one cave. An Owlbear resides or guards another. Gnolls are around the ridgeline and likely have a cave somewhere. It is likely they who pushed the rocks from above and would have continued if the Owlbear hadn't surprised them. And then we have other friends perhaps in the other caves making a home. Isn't this a peachy place to set up camp. He comments sarcastically

Borum, are we here simply to scout out these dens of death or are we on a specific quest. Because I get the impression this area is not good for our prolonged health. He once more asks off-handedly as he continues to scan and await the return of Mr Choe and any others.
If it is not true, do not speak it. If it is not right, do not do it. Marcus Aurelius

GreyWolfVT

#406 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Borum "Wexley I honestly wish I knew because we have only found the cave of the first parties demise we have yet to locate the one we are supposed to be here for that houses hobgoblins and supposedly the missing merchants. This is what causes me so much trouble to create a plan. Obviously everything in each of these caves is a threat to us but with no idea where to locate the merchants we are between a rock and a hard place. I'd say just go kill the orcs if we can manage but now we have a monk randomly trying to kill owlbears that is not even on the original contract....."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Maya, "Well, as hard as it is to say this, let's take a cue from Victor. He told me once, "When in doubt, close your eyes and point randomly, when you open them you go there no matter what." Let's pick a cave at random and go, we need to move forward and we have no idea if these are all connected. Any of these caves may lead us to our goal, let us pick one."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#408 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Borum "I was going to say that since the smoke has cleared we should just enter the cave and see if we can figure something out about at least one cave."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Maya, "That is fine as well, as long as we are moving forward."

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:
would we be able to see Choe running after the owl bear from where we are?
Heck yes you would all see him!

Mr. Choe climbs down over the rim & shimmeys 90 ft over & right into the OwlBear cave.

The rest climb straight back down to regroup with the others.

Sister Opal:
"We need to find the Hob sign like Idonea says, it IS our primary mission, at least we now know 3 caves house something else other than Hobgoblins, if like Mr. Choe said the prints were

smaller than what a Hobgoblin's should be up on the valley ridge."
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#411 Post by Dizlexus »

Mr. Choe

Mr. Choe wants to get a look in that entry -- not too close on the monster's heels -- perhaps Choe can discern the direction the monster goes.
Only far in enough to get an impression.

Move silent (it was 87)
fail
Hide in shadow of cave mouth
[1d100] = 100 fail, big time

If Choe needs a hasty retreat he will cast himself down the hill and use his falling skill to mitigate damage.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#412 Post by Dizlexus »

Mr. Choe

Returns to the party and gives a report to Borum:

We can follow the blood trail it left easily if we wish. There were a great many bones in there. My impression is that of a lair and not so much a hobgob entrance.
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#413 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Borum looks very displeased with the eccentric monk "What was it you said about the tracks you saw much earlier before we set the tar met on fire the ones after the rock slide? You think they be about the size of a hob?"

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#414 Post by Dizlexus »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Borum looks very displeased with the eccentric monk "What was it you said about the tracks you saw much earlier before we set the tar met on fire the ones after the rock slide? You think they be about the size of a hob?"
Mr. Choe

Noting the look he was given, sheepishly replies:
Smaller Borum, I'm thinking Goblin tracks. But I'm no tracker. They were little feet, I'm quite sure.

Sorry Borum, I'm insatiably curious.
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#415 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Borum calmer now "Alright so we know something smaller like gobs are in the area of one cave, a larger owl bear likely a den of em in another and orcs in the one we half closed off and set a tar net ablaze. Choe I'm starting to figure out that I have a few loose canons per say you, Victor and Kormak as well as Mort from time to time. Just so long as ya don't blame me fer yer deaths I'm starting to get used to it." he pauses sighs and continues "Lets venture on to the next uninvestigated cave shall we? Or do you all wish to try and earn the first party some respect and kill some orcs?"

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by PyroArrow »

Player's Caves' Valley Map:

The Caves of Chaos Valley Map:
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#417 Post by Dizlexus »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Borum calmer now "Alright so we know something smaller like gobs are in the area of one cave, a larger owl bear likely a den of em in another and orcs in the one we half closed off and set a tar net ablaze. Choe I'm starting to figure out that I have a few loose canons per say you, Victor and Kormak as well as Mort from time to time. Just so long as ya don't blame me fer yer deaths I'm starting to get used to it." he pauses sighs and continues "Lets venture on to the next uninvestigated cave shall we? Or do you all wish to try and earn the first party some respect and kill some orcs?"

You make the decision Borum. I believe most of the caves will be inter connected. So, to some degree, it is all a crap shoot.

Getting inside seems to be a reasonable goal.
All GMs are evil.

Baramoor
Guide
Guide

#418 Post by Baramoor »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Or do you all wish to try and earn the first party some respect and kill some orcs?"
Payback lacks one thing....pay. I say we follow you to the next cave and leave the Orcs to wondering what is about to happen and why their trap was foiled. The aren't always smart, but they prefer numbers and not knowing ours will likely give them pause I hope.

Wexley stands and lets the bow go slack, slipping the arrow shaft to lay against the bowstring. You are now our leader...I say...lead and we follow.

Have to get paid to risk a thief's neck.
If it is not true, do not speak it. If it is not right, do not do it. Marcus Aurelius

Return to “B2/B5 Guido Wiedig's Keep on the Borderland & the Hills of Horror & Chaos”