What to do with players that are a danger to the party?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

What to do with players that are a danger to the party?

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Good question recently had this question come to me about a PC that is in a realistic game but it has turned mildy into a comedy/realistic game. The character appears to have gone from stable to slightly eccentric to mentally unstable. What would you do as a DM or fellow player to correct this?

A. Slap some sense back into the PC and hope it's player follows suit?
B. Encourage the other players to take action?
C. Kill the PC in IC?
D. Other suggestions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: What to do with players that are a danger to the party?

#2 Post by Alethan »

Um. How about just directly communicating with the player and letting them know what their actions are doing to the game?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Coincidentally, the latest post from Hack&Slash is kind of on-topic. I'd highly suggest reading it.

Though it is coming from the opposite point of view, in that it discusses how players should handle a bad DM, the idea is to open up some positive communication between players and DM to resolve problems with how the game is being played/run.

Abusing the character in-game to try and make the player change, making the other players deal with it, and out-right killing the character off intentionally? I don't think any of those are viable options for creating a positive line of communication.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Quite true. So far though in my scenario only one player is worried about the other player at this point nobody else has spoken up. As a DM i've just been "rolling" with it.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

My advice would be: send a PM and ask if their vision for the character has changed, or if they're feeling bored with the scenario. If you generally trust the judgment of the player who has expressed concerns, chances are at least one other player has them too, even if they're not ready to say a thing about it. I know a lot of players don't feel like it's their place to judge the role aging of others or to comment on activities that damage their own fun until they become egregious game-destroying behaviors, and by that time their faith in the GM has eroded somewhat for allowing that to run it's course unchecked.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Keehnelf »

Freaking autocorrect phone -- *role playing, *its

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nordbo »

Dang, busted!

No, seriously: was the change from 'realistic' towards 'comedy' caused by the player, or by the DM ?

If it's the DM who changed style from realistic to comedy, then the change in the PC's attitude might be a reaction, possibly tinted with disillusionment.

I myself love zanyness (like in some vintage UK rpg fanzine modules; stuff like The Christmas Dungeon comes to mind) but if I'm in a 'supposedly realistic' game where a DM suddenly develops an unexpected 'uh, what the heck' style, or suddenly forgets all original earnest intentions that were grandiosely announced during recruitment, or if DM's attention drifts, starts ignoring details/moves/questions, or begins to railroad... then I've noted that I myself will do exactly that: flip into eccentric/absurd playing mode :D
the primitive idea probably being 'well if I've come this far I might as well have some fun with it'.

But if it worries other players - I would of course hope to be told ASAP!

Edit: after reading the Hack & Slash post it seems this qualifies me as 'passive aggressive' :oops:

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

It started with the player and the DM kinda rolled with it then it grew to be more than simple crazed over bread by the player. Again DM rolled with it. Until concerned reports came to him. Now it has been resolved. But I hope the player is not offended.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Nordbo »

OK glad to hear it got settled. And, GW, if my playing or DM:ing should ever freak you out, do alert me! (and by that I don't mean janitor zombies or deaf wizards :lol: )

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

personally i like to play with a bit of humor but when it does start to get a bit out of hand i try to calm it down. As both player and DM. But honestly I can see where if things kept going in the direction it felt like it would be more a danger to at least that player.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Humor is awesome.
Danger to the party, not so much. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i must admit the mad rantings of bread and rat kinds was humorous lol but when the DM starts to picture the character like this it's gotta get smacked sane right Image

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Synthalus »

In my XP when you try to kill off this type of character you run into this guy!
Attachments
One-HP-Left.jpg
One-HP-Left.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 823 times
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Haha

In this unknown characters defense, though his ramblings may have been insane he never did put the party into danger.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Heh. Heh. That "Motivational" poster reminds me of the recent end to a G+ game I was playing with Argennian and some guys from the Knights & Knaves Alehouse. It was hardcore AD&D 1E. Casualties occurred quite frequently. I had the only character who survived from the beginning a mediocre to middling fighter named Gapus. But he made it to 3rd level in that game starting from 1st. I think I had a 14 Strength and that was my best score out of the 4d6c1. :)
Our last game was a couple Tuesdays ago, we were on our way back to the dungeon - Dazo's End, appropriately named to one of the guys MU PC who died there. The wandering monster roll came up "den o' giant snakes" - we were murdalized. We thought we had them, just a wandering monster, we weren't even at the dungeon yet. But there Gapus stood, among the carnage, another guys 1st level fighter the only other survivor, and I look down at my character sheet in awe of the old school game we just played and started to laugh. The DM looked up questionly, I just realized I only had 1 HP left!
Dang I'm going to miss that game.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

heh well yeah that is all a lot of fun kill a pc it comes back with 1 hp oh i can fix that fireball x10 :D negative what -71 hp yeah i don't see a resurrection fixing that. ;)

Return to “General RPG discussion”