Dialectic

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Dialectic

#1 Post by tibbius »

Where we discuss ... whatever.
Last edited by tibbius on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Dialectic

#2 Post by Leitz »

I'm assuming Bran's militia training doesn't qualify him for "the warriors in armor", especially since Bran doesn't have any armor. :)

Are there spears or such the militia types could pick up? Even if they act as a reserve, or fill the gaps, it'd help. Bran wouldn't shirk the battle, he's a "leader in the front" type, when necessary.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote:I'm assuming Bran's militia training doesn't qualify him for "the warriors in armor", especially since Bran doesn't have any armor. :)

Are there spears or such the militia types could pick up? Even if they act as a reserve, or fill the gaps, it'd help. Bran wouldn't shirk the battle, he's a "leader in the front" type, when necessary.
Bran probably is as good with any weapon as about half of the village's warriors. After all he is exceptionally strong and agile. He does not have any armor. That stuff can be made by the village tanner from leather and bone, or by the village smith from bronze ingots that sometimes can be traded from foreign sailors for a few sheep. More often it has been handed down through generations; that's how Marcus got his panoply.

There aren't any extra spears, though. This is a wedding not a battlefield.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Apologies for not posting earlier, it was a long day after a short night. Sleep claimed me.
tibbius wrote: I'm seeing this game as being more focused on crafting, magical research, and roleplay than on combat.
Works for me, though Bran needs some level of martial competence. Not hordes, but something I need to figure out.

So, from the description, Alec's kingdom is a bit like what Bran's grandfather described; sort of a "has-been" in the life of a colony. For me, and for Bran, this is pretty cool. It's an opening to do those sorts of things I was looking to do with Bran, and not have to do a major expedition to get to. That make sense?

If we have our list of skills, can we just talk about adding a new one? For example, I'd like to work on Bran's leadership. Finding the right bath of inspiring people to follow, while not intruding on Alec's authority or the goals other players have. Can I just start writing about that and let you, as DM, deal with it?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote:If we have our list of skills, can we just talk about adding a new one? For example, I'd like to work on Bran's leadership. Finding the right bath of inspiring people to follow, while not intruding on Alec's authority or the goals other players have. Can I just start writing about that and let you, as DM, deal with it?
Pretty much as soon as your character attempts and succeeds at a task they get a chance to improve in the relevant skill. So leadership, sure. Given Bran's attributes he knows that he'd have about a 50-50 chance of success at convincing people to do what he wants. Better than that with people who know his reputation ... that's why the King has made him a friend.

rossik and cybersavant, what are your ideas for the game?

Keep in mind that all of your characters are about equally combat effective with Bran being slightly more so. Against fighters like the lycanthropes, any of you would have about an even chance of hurting them. On the other hand, as you're currently equipped, any of them would have a better than even chance of hurting you.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote:
Leitz wrote:If we have our list of skills, can we just talk about adding a new one? For example, I'd like to work on Bran's leadership. Finding the right bath of inspiring people to follow, while not intruding on Alec's authority or the goals other players have. Can I just start writing about that and let you, as DM, deal with it?
Pretty much as soon as your character attempts and succeeds at a task they get a chance to improve in the relevant skill. So leadership, sure. Given Bran's attributes he knows that he'd have about a 50-50 chance of success at convincing people to do what he wants. Better than that with people who know his reputation ... that's why the King has made him a friend.
So, this is where I have fun in gaming; I love to plan, and to build large things that my character could not do alone. To that end, I use pretty much everything possible to "win". In this case I'm going to figure out a way to not just use Bran's Charisma equivalent, but everything else. Stacking the odds in my/Bran's favor. :)
tibbius wrote:Keep in mind that all of your characters are about equally combat effective with Bran being slightly more so. Against fighters like the lycanthropes, any of you would have about an even chance of hurting them. On the other hand, as you're currently equipped, any of them would have a better than even chance of hurting you.
Yup, I was pretty sure that if Bran got into the fray, it was going to hurt. Still, he's not one to shirk his citizenship and duties.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

So, Bran is using his physical characteristics to bond with the lycanthropes, his wit to see opportunities, and his charisma to bring those to bear on a unification decision. Make sense?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by tibbius »

Just a heads up that rossik will probably be unavailable until March 2. So Andrew will be waiting a while for answers to his questions. But in the meantime I will address some of Bran's ideas.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

Not really sure what's open for Bran, except getting back to his work. Alec didn't seem to like his suggestion, and I'm confused about what should and shouldn't have been said. My opinion ("go stuff yourselves") might not be welcome. Not sure what Bran's thoughts would be.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote:Not really sure what's open for Bran, except getting back to his work. Alec didn't seem to like his suggestion, and I'm confused about what should and shouldn't have been said. My opinion ("go stuff yourselves") might not be welcome. Not sure what Bran's thoughts would be.
It all was well said, but the rolls didn't come out favorably based on circumstances outside Bran's control - i.e. local politics and history.

Still, his good words will have an impact down the road. As will be seen shortly.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote:
Leitz wrote:Not really sure what's open for Bran, except getting back to his work. Alec didn't seem to like his suggestion, and I'm confused about what should and shouldn't have been said. My opinion ("go stuff yourselves") might not be welcome. Not sure what Bran's thoughts would be.
It all was well said, but the rolls didn't come out favorably based on circumstances outside Bran's control - i.e. local politics and history.

Still, his good words will have an impact down the road. As will be seen shortly.
Hope so. I spend much of my work day being ignored. No need to game it. :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

It would be helpful if someone could step up to play Marcus Nine-toes as a second character. He's King Alec's champion and also chief of the village's warband. At the moment he's annoyed with Bran because he has heard that Bran tried to bring in the lycanthrope Drakon to replace him. Soon he and Bran may need to work together.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by tibbius »

Going to pause this over the weekend for three reasons:
  • cybersavant seems to be lost in action; hopefully they can post here what they would like to see happening and I can try to accomodate;
  • rossik is out of communication until March 2;
  • Mr Stereo1 will be reviewing the threads to figure out whether he wants to join, possibly taking over Marcus Nine-toes.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by cybersavant »

so far game seems fine to me

been a while since i studies Classics , not sure what to add
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

cybersavant wrote:so far game seems fine to me

been a while since i studies Classics , not sure what to add
I spent some mental time in Republican Rome, but that was about it. Much of what I'm doing is probably not overly historic. Pretty fun, though.

Addendum: So, roughly the Late Bronze Age Collapse?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote: Addendum: So, roughly the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
Yep!
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Leitz »

From a "player who hasn't studied Bronze Age Greece" perspective, how are concubines viewed?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by tibbius »

Bronze Age culture generally seems to have determined standing more by family relationships than by gender... I'm thinking "temptress" might work better than "concubine" which has connotations of Bryseis.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Hi everyone.

I'm liking the small scale tone of the game so far, as well as the historical effort, so I'd be glad to take up Marcus in the game. I'm not clear on what system you're using though or what Marcus' sheet is atm.

He doesn't seem to have much personality established yet beyond being Alec's wife's cousin and the king's champion. I'm fine being a basic fighter but I'd like to add something like making him rather gods-fearing and honor bound, so even if he doesn't know much more than the average greek about such things he'd be taking tradition and folklore very seriously. Would that be okay?

On the tone in taste I'm up for a less combat heavy approach to rediscovering lost glories and building up the little settlements eeking livings out around the party, but if that's the route we're going down could I try to give Marcus a small niche to get involved? Perhaps his father was a carpenter so he knows a little of that or because he was big and strong he's helped people raise barns around the village since his youth.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm liking the small scale tone of the game so far, as well as the historical effort, so I'd be glad to take up Marcus in the game. I'm not clear on what system you're using though or what Marcus' sheet is atm.

He doesn't seem to have much personality established yet beyond being Alec's wife's cousin and the king's champion. I'm fine being a basic fighter but I'd like to add something like making him rather gods-fearing and honor bound, so even if he doesn't know much more than the average greek about such things he'd be taking tradition and folklore very seriously. Would that be okay?

On the tone in taste I'm up for a less combat heavy approach to rediscovering lost glories and building up the little settlements eeking livings out around the party, but if that's the route we're going down could I try to give Marcus a small niche to get involved? Perhaps his father was a carpenter so he knows a little of that or because he was big and strong he's helped people raise barns around the village since his youth.
Glad to have you join us! Small scale is what I'm going for.

As far as system, the intent is to keep that hidden as an experiment - for making decisions you'll need to rely on your character's common sense estimates of expected outcomes. The sheet as it is, can be found under Personae.

Gods-fearing sounds good. The kind of guy who is awed by omens and priests, and rigorous in following the laws of honesty, ariste, and hospitality?

It would make sense for Marcus to have helped out with community building projects. That would have involved a lot of muscle-building effort hauling mud and straw and stacking bricks or chunks of rock and mud, not to mention axework felling the right kind of saplings for roof beams.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Athens has Fallen (AFG)”