Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

Marullus
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

#201 Post by Enoch »

What do we want to do here? I'm both Angry and Afraid, meaning I can't use Wises or my traits to benefit me (though I can still earn checks by using them against myself), and I can't Help or use Beginner's Luck. I'm also out of Persona.

I can try swimming for the sword, but that will be a Health test, and I don't have the greatest Health--someone else might be better. Touching the sword will likely trigger its guardian to appear, based on what I learned. Who knows? That might be something we can use to our benefit. The guardian probably isn't interested in having a troll around either.

If this was some kind of extraplanar creature or spirit, I'd try a Banish/Abjure conflict by myself. It'd be risky, but at least I'd only be risking myself. While I'm Afraid I can't even use most of the skills needed in any of the other conflicts.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna uses her wand on the three of them, changing them into the largest trolls she can. "We need to be convincing."

She then summons Tabi and stuffs her into a sack to carry out.
Not sure what I need to roll here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Changing to a totally different creature type for a turn is Ob3 for Ganna to do to herself or Ob4 to do to two companions. Lasting two turns adds +1Ob, lasting the phase (until camp) is +2 Ob.

Ganna can cast three times, but then needs to camp to recharge her wand.
Casting is a free action. You need to do a roll for each casting. You can cast up to three times before your wand is depleted. You have 2D for your Enchanter skill and can add +1D for Moonchild to one of your rolls. You might be able to creatively add other traits if you do more than one test. You can spend Persona or Fate to reroll or increase dice.

I would have allowed help from Grimm and Cu Aislin with Lore Master giving advice for the realism of creature transformations but with people still Afraid, nobody can help that way. Need to get rid of Afraid first.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Going with Trick him into the sunlight, illusion is to arm and armor Ganna, Clough (leader for the Trick) and Cu. First Ganna will gather 3 torches and light them, each gets a torch to use as a weapon.

Ganna illusion.
Wand [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3

Clough illusion.
Wand [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2

Cu illusion.
Wand [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Marullus »

Session 1, Turn 11. Eighth turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Clough (Hungry, Afraid), Tancred (Hungry, Afraid), Haar (Afraid), Ganna (Hungry, Afraid), Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid), Grimm (Hungry, Afraid), Tabbi (Injured)
Opposition: Troll (Injured)

Freed: Everyone

Normally, you need to justify your trait-use and provide the desired looks in your roleplay narrative. Also, it is Ob1 for yourself and use spell use of Ob2 for Clough and Cu Aislin. (No third spell.) I'll help you out by providing the narrative here in my update and moving us forward as I adjudicate.

Ganna sneaks over to the tunnel mouth where the group entered the pool chamber, finding that Durganor's sack still lies there, torches within it. She plucks three of them and brings them back, handing them out to Clough and Cu Aislin. (Ganna, Cu Aislin, and Clough armed with torches. Ganna also holds her wand.) Grimm goes with her, taking a torch for himself and the sack for later.

Ganna takes a deep breath and brandishes her wand. She has always been odd, a pretender in her own skin. She unleashes herself, drawing on her the powers granted in her birth as a Moonchild and unleashing the magic at Clough first to transform him! Clough feels his skin grow tight and tingly and in the dim light the rest see him begin to warp and distend before snapping back to his normal shape. She has unleased magic into the chamber, but it did not have the desired effect... the waters of the placid pool begin to bubble, ripples crisscrossing the surface. (First spell: Failure with a twist. Moonchild trait spent.)

Bracing herself, she thinks back through all she knows of the incantation, thoughtfully checking and rechecking her grip upon the wand, the swish-and-flick of the hand movement, holding the desired image in her mind as she directs the spell at Clough and once more. He feels his skin stretch, his filthy clothes popping outward and glinting as they turn to a cuirass of shining steel. His swarthy looks changing to a blond, flowing-haired knight with shiny-white teeth. A gold-hilted longsword sprouts from his hand, the torch remaining in the other, an griffon-crested kite shield popping forth on his arm. He seems taller. Hansomer. Then Cu Aislin changes as well. He straightens up and becomes broad-shouldered. A distinguished, long gray beard pops from his face and stretches to his waist. His deer-skull mask transforming into an impressive pointy hat, his robes midnight blue and flowing even without the wind. His torch elongates into a wizardly staff, the balled rags at the end looking like a demon-head, the kindling inside ready to be lit and shine through the eye sockets and out the top like flaming hair. (Second spell: Pass. Both Cu Aislin and Clough transformed.
Thoughtful trait spent.

Encourage by her success, Ganna repeats the process, waving the wand above her own head with a flourish. Quick-witted, she modifies the plan somewhat, assuming the new appearance which just flashed into her mind. (Third spell. Pass. Quick-witted spent. Describe what your appearance is with your last-minute inspiration.)

On the other side of the cavern, Haar has caught three skewers of tiny bats with the troll's help. They crouch near the cookfire as Haar demonstrates the proper way to singe the hair and crisp the skin while applying local flavoring agents. For the moment they don't suspect you - your three brave and well-equipped heroes stand ready to act with their torches ready to be lit. Your plan is ready to be sprung.

Tancred and Grimm remain hidden in the darkness, watching the scene unfold.

Ganna still has her Defender trait for use in the coming conflict, the others are spent for this session.
With 2 successes and 1 failure, her Enchanter skill goes up from 2 to 3.

Next Steps:
Stirling, roll 4D+4 for your Disposition. [3D Manipulator +1D help from Haar + 4 Will]
Also Stirling - Assign turn order and actions for round 1. Three of the four of you need to act in round 1. Haar (2D) and Clough (3D) can attack or Feint, Cu Aislin (4D) and Ganna (2D) can Manuver or Defend.

Narrate how the trick happens, opening the scene and taking action #1.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Stirling »

Clough. 'Mouse no 2'.

The knight emerges from the shadows as the blazing firebrand is struck. He marches singing some triumphal hymnal to the edge of the sacred pool. In view of the troll and Haar at the other side of the cave he takes to one knee with his sword point down before the statue he bows his head to the hilt as if taking holy vows.

all goes against his nature of ignorance and disrespect of those taking religious paths.

Clough: Knight illusion s vs troll +4 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4

He dips a finger in the pool and marks some holy symbol on his forehead, a cross shape or some genuflection.

"Holy Saints we receive your grace and power to vanquish the creatures of darkness with your divine wrath. Amen and amen."

He stands and points with his blade across the chamber to the troll. "You creature. Are you my sacrifice this day? You may live in banishment if you flee this cave or else burn in holy flames."

Clough issues a 'turn or burn' taunt at the troll hoping to intimidate him into leaving.

His action will be to feint so that it his illusion is not dispelled by an imaginart sword not stabbing the troll.

Clough feint vs troll [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Marullus »

Stirling: nice moves! Before I adjudicate, I need you to assign moves 2 and 3 to the other PCs and state whether they will Attack, Feint, Defend, or Maneuver as part of a larger group plan.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Stirling »

Well I would direct those under the illusion to use that to confuse and confound the troll. So Cu Aislin moves to flank the troll on some way, perhaps interposing himself between Haar and the troll and at the risk of being selfish (but true to his 2nd Mouse syndrome ), Ganna can use defend and ward the knight in shining armour.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Rex »

My hope with having real lit torches is that he will feel the heat and understand he is at risk.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Marullus »

So, I read your script as:
1) Clough - Feint
2) Cu Aislin - Maneuver
3) Ganna - Defend
...Haar will have to use Attack or Feint on the first action of next round before anyone repeats.

These are not actual "attacks" or "feints." That's only true in a physical fight (like if this were a Drive Off). Instead they are interpreted in the context of the conflict you are using (see p. 70-71). In this case, you're conducting a Trick to try and get the Troll into the pool and the light in the center of the chamber when dawn arrives. Something that directly moves towards your goal is an Attack. Something that draws your opponent out of place while attacking is a Feint. A Maneuver sets up the following action for bigger success. A Defend negates the opponent's actions (reducing compromise).

The troll gains advantage the longer this goes on, and Attack/Feint are the only ways to reach success. Only Clough and Haar can attempt those actions. (For example, you might consider getting Haar into the first round, too.)

There's a lot of interpretation here and you have a lot of freedom in how you narrate. But you need to state the mechanic first and the color it in with narrative.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Stirling »

Well I think drawing the troll to attack Clough by the pool is more risky than getting the troll to leave the cave

I am not sure what happens to the troll if he gets in the pool. Has anyone told me anything? I am not aware that the waters have specific properties or magic. And when is dawn? I am.not sure Clough would know the time and think 'oh we have two minutes until the sunshine down the cistern'. Hence Clough thinks driving the creature away by bluff or threat the main focus.

Clough is happy if we go 'all in' and under the disguise of knight and wizard attack the creature in a coordinated way with the torches.

Could Haar throw cooking oil onto the creature as his attack action? Then we light it up. It may well decide to rinse off the burning oil by a dip in the pool.

So I would wait for Haar to anoint the creature, smear him with goose fat, butter, flammable mushrooms then attack on the second round. The first round are fronts and maneuvers.

Does that work?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Marullus »

Of your main focus is driving him off, then this turns to another Drive Off conflict, not a trick. I will provide an advantage for your narrative position in using Ganna's spells.

My previous update mentioned the first hints of light in the hole above. You are capable of timing your trick to the sunlight coming down the hole.

It is a perilous maze of caverns between here and the outside entrance - it is too far to drive the troll (especially when he knows the way and you don't). If you trick him into leaving the pool, he remains a hazard in the caverns per the bounds I said in the OOC thread.

I need a clear statement of your intent with the conflict before you begin. Is it "trick it into the light shining on the pool" or "trick it into retreating into the caves?"

(Did I answer your everything?)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Stirling »

Clough tries to reason between the two options. Draw the troll into the light or drive him away so we can exit the cave following the path of Guhnk or use time to investigate the pool and reinforce our position here.

Sorry guys but I think Clough would choose the drive off solutions especially as some of us are injured and I think drive off brings less chance of actual immediate physical conflict.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#214 Post by Enoch »

Fine, so long as we make a decision.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Marullus »

Ok, then you've settled on Scripting:
1) Clough - Feint
2) Cu Aislin - Maneuver
3) Ganna - Defend

4) Haar - Attack

...Sounds good. I'll start it up below.

Session 1, Turn 11. Eighth turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Clough (Hungry, Afraid), Tancred (Hungry, Afraid), Haar (Afraid), Ganna (Hungry, Afraid), Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid), Grimm (Hungry, Afraid), Tabbi (Injured)
Opposition: Troll (Injured)

Conflict: Trick
Use this conflict when trying to confuse, befuddle or otherwise obfuscate your opponent. Success indicates your opponent falls for your strategem.
If Party Wins: the troll leaves the pool room.
If Troll Wins: everyone added to his pantry.
Clough: Knight illusion s vs troll +4 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4
2 Successes + 4 Will -1 for Hungry/Thirsty is a total disposition of 5 for the party. We'll assign everyone 1hp, then a second hit point for Clough as the Conflict Captain.
Party Disposition: 5
Troll Disposition: 8

Special Factors:
  • In a non-physical conflict like Trick, there's no penalty for being disarmed. Also, the troll doesn't get +2s from Order of Might.
  • Arming yourself with Torches against a known fear/weakness of the troll will give you +1s on Attack and Feint actions in this conflict.
  • Due to your narrative positioning as transformed warriors of visibly impressive power and might, I will allow you +2D on Defend and Maneuver actions for playing on the Troll's biases.
  • The Troll is Injured, so has -1D on all actions. This lowers his pool from 8D to 7D for each action.
  • The Troll gets +1D Stubborn as a weapon on its Defend actions.
Action #1: Clough Feints, Troll Defends.
Troll's action cancelled. Clough rolls 2 successes, +1s, total of 3 successes from troll Dispositon.

Grimm and Tancred manage to get a tinder box, sparking the party's torches and then hiding themselves behind the midden heap. The ruse ready to be put into motion, the group hopes the troll is not as wise as it is powerfully strong. Clough, disguised as a dashing knight, starts in first...

The knight emerges from the shadows as the blazing firebrand is struck. He marches singing some triumphal hymnal to the edge of the sacred pool. In view of the troll and Haar at the other side of the cave he takes to one knee with his sword point down before the statue he bows his head to the hilt as if taking holy vows.

He dips a finger in the pool and marks some holy symbol on his forehead, a cross shape or some genuflection.

"Holy Saints we receive your grace and power to vanquish the creatures of darkness with your divine wrath. Amen and amen."

He stands and points with his blade across the chamber to the troll. "You creature. Are you my sacrifice this day? You may live in banishment if you flee this cave or else burn in holy flames."

The troll was watching the spit of bats roasting on the cook-fire and is caught completely offguard by this abrupt announcement in the cavern. It clambers to its feet, trying to regain its composure.

Action #2: Cu Aislin Maneuver, Troll Attacks.
Party Disposition: 5/5
Troll Disposition: 5/8
Versus: successes cancel out. Cu Aislin rolls 4D Loremaster +2D illusion bonus. Troll rolls 7D.
Troll Roll 1/2 [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4
Troll Roll 2/2 [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 5

Cu Aislin - your turn!

I am assuming you mean "tricking it into the caves" when you say driving it off and not a formal Drive Off conflict because you say you're avoiding a physical conflict. You already did a 'drive off' so you know that the troll has a disposition 12, rolls 8 dice, and gets +2s against each of your actions with that type of fight because it IS a physical conflict.

I'm not entirely clear on how that strategem to confuse, befuddle or otherwise obfuscate the troll results in him leaving, as that's what is required for this to be a Trick rather than a clever Drive Off. I will be looking for that to unfold through play.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#216 Post by Enoch »

Per Stirling's post, I believe we are doing a Drive Off again, not a Trick.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Marullus »

I addressed that in the spoiler at the bottom. Since Stirling said he was avoiding physical conflict and a Drive Off IS a physical conflict, I assumed otherwise. We can hold for him to clarify before you act to be sure.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Stirling »

Okay.

Clough believes driving the troll to leave the cave temporarily will give us time to get our supplies, be free to explore for a very short well or take the chance to leave the cave up more goblin tunnels.

He knows this will leave the troll in the caverns as a continuous threat but we might be better equipped to deal with him at a later time.

He has more Conviction that under our illusions and with the fiery torches we can Trick the Troll into leaving rather than tempting him into the sunlight.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#219 Post by Enoch »

Using his knowledge of trolls, Cu Aislin causes the wizard illusion to summon flames to his hands, reaching out in fiery tendrils toward the troll and driving him out of his strong position.

4D: [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6
2 successes. I will spend a Fate and reroll that 6.

1D: [1d6] = 4

3 successes total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Marullus »

Action #2: Cu Aislin Maneuver, Troll Attacks.

The troll rushes forward to attack the interlopers to his cave! He limps around the side of the pool as he rushes, his already injured leg hindering him. He brandishes his wicked claws as he comes at them near the cave exit where they stand.

Using his knowledge of trolls, Cu Aislin causes the wizard illusion to summon flames to his hands. The real flame of the "torch," now transformed into a staff with a frightening visage, provides real heat to dissuade the troll.
Good creativity! It stretched the arcane semblance a bit far, so I modified the narrative, but I'm keeping your effect.
Versus: 3 success for the troll and 3 successes for Cu Aislin - net result of 0 for each! No changes to disposition.
EDIT: Cu Aislin didn't roll the +2D bonus for the illusion.
Cu Aislin (+2D Bonus from Illusion) [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5
With two extra successes on his Maneuver, he grants +2D to Ganna's Action!

The troll backs off, uncertain, and harming no one so far as it paces, evaluating its new foes with a look of fear.

Action #3: Ganna Defend, Troll Attacks.
Troll Attack 1/2 [1d6] = 2[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4
Troll Attack 2/2 [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6
Marullus wrote:Encourage by her success, Ganna repeats the process, waving the wand above her own head with a flourish. Quick-witted, she modifies the plan somewhat, assuming the new appearance which just flashed into her mind. (Third spell. Pass. Quick-witted spent. Describe what your appearance is with your last-minute inspiration.)
Rex: Please describe Ganna's transformation, then her action for how she acts to "confuse, befuddle or otherwise obfuscate" the troll to dissuade its attack.

Ganna is rolling her 2D Loremaster. She has +2D from the Illusion and also gets another +2D from Cu Aislin scaring the troll with his fire. (That's 6D base!) She can get +1D help from Tabbi if she can work in the cat doing something within it's cat-like nature. She also still has her Defender trait for another +1D if she wants to use it. Ganna still has all 3 Fate and 1 Persona unspent. Your Defend successes will negate the Troll's Attack successes (it rolled 4 successes), hoping to keep your dispositon full. Since your disposition IS full, extra successes above 4 don't have any effect.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”