Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2

atpollard
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2

#141 Post by Urson »

Jo

As I understand it, a pile of coal- or rubble, in this case- is most stable after it has collapsed. Do you think we should try to dislodge those precarious stones? Or would it make things worse?
Jo visually examines the pile to the left side of the tunnel, trying to pick a 'keystone' She DOES NOT touch anything.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#142 Post by atpollard »

Josephine and Samuel examine the rocks at #3.

Samuel confirmed what Josephine had suspected. While most of the natural cavern was quite stable, the walls and ceiling in this particular portion were not stable. The passage had experienced a partial collapse at some point in the past, but was still not fully stable.

One option was to attempt to follow the existing path between the piles of stones and attempt to avoid disturbing anything.

A second option was to deliberately trigger a release of the stored energy in the unstable rocks allowing them to reach a more stable position.

The risk with the first option was accidentally disturbing the rocks as you passed. The risk with the second option is the collapse was unpredictable and might seal off the passage completely, open a crater to a lower level, or just create a stable passage.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#143 Post by AsenRG »

"I would suggest that we pass and touch nothing", Remy whispers. "Would be a shame to never find out what is on the other side, non?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Urson »

Jo

Very true. I am probably the smallest and lightest of us- I suppose I should go first.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#145 Post by AsenRG »

"I think I have an idea, too. How about tying the left hand of the one that passes with a rope? Then the others could pull him or her out if we see his move is about to collide with the stones", Remy suggests.
It's like pulling a kid before it touches the fire, the warrior almost adds. But he decides not to mention it, because who hasn't watched his or her nephews? The others could get offended at him mentioning obvious stuff!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Urson »

Jo
That sounds like a smart idea- but not tied to my hand, please.

Jo begins rigging a harness of rope around her waist and upper body.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"I trust you, Remy. Sounds good to me. Jo goes past to explore, and we decide if everyone follows after." Jacques doesn't look like he believes what he's saying, nervously looking around at the fallen stones.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#148 Post by AsenRG »

"I trust in myself, too! And the spirits of my ancestors protecting me", Remy answered absentmindedly, while watching the woman's movements more intently than ever. He had to get her measure now, and to be able to anticipate her movements...enough to be able to pull before she makes a wrong move, if she was about to do it.
Not any harder than running through a man who's attempting to spill your guts, really.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#149 Post by atpollard »

Josephine Baxter-Smith, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Jacques Bonnet & Philip Ancalagon (Secret Door in woods [near #19])
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 6:10 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

[#4 on the map]
No one dared to breathe as Josephine made her way down the center and carefully avoided the walls. Ten feet in she abruptly stopped as she glanced at the path ahead.

[#5 on the map]
There was a crack on the floor similar to those on the walls several inches from her foot and over an inch wide. Scanning the path ahead, a web of cracks and gaps covered the floor. Where her lamp penetrated the holes in the floor, the light reflected off water far below. A scan of the area indicated that the floor was safer near the outside edge. So Jo threaded the needle between the cracks in the wall and the holes in the floor … careful to disturb neither.

Jo stopped about 20 feet ahead of the group (between [#5] and [#6] where the cave seemed sturdy. Up ahead, a pile of stones littered the floor [#6] but seemed nothing like the fragile walls behind you.

[just state an order if you plan on following Jo and have no other intended actions, or take your time to talk and plan if you feel like it.]

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Urson »

Jo
As she proceeds across the rubble- and the dangerous path beyond, Jo uses 'aeronaut speech*'. Every move, every step, she states aloud exactly what she's doing, so that if she fails, the others know where she went wrong and why.

*listen to any broadcast of astronauts to hear examples
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#151 Post by AsenRG »

"Shall I pass next, then?", Remy asked. "Or do we wait for news from her?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Zhym »

"One at a time seems safest," guesses Mac. He listens carefully to Jo's narration of her moves so that he knows what to do—and what not to do.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#153 Post by atpollard »

Josephine Baxter-Smith, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Jacques Bonnet (Secret Door in woods [near #19])
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 6:20 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

[Remy Hernandez]
The nimble footwork that comes from years of training served the master swordsman well as he quickly and effortlessly passed between the unstable walls [#4] like he was sidestepping a clumsy thrust. Then came some fast and light footwork around the fragile floor [#5]. Remy was quickly beside Jo in the stable passage beyond staring back to watch the next adventurer cross.

[Mercutio "Doc" Routledge]
In contrast to Remy’s quick dance through the obstacles, Mac moved like a machine. Never did he hesitate and slow down, nor did he hurry anywhere. Like a surgeon, he planned out his moves and executed each in the proper time at a measured pace. The Scholar constantly scanned for clues. The Machinist constantly processed the data to identify flaws that might represent danger. The Doctor moved with the same deliberate precision as his mechanical arm. So intent was his focus on the rocks, that he was almost startled to discover that he had arrived at Jo and Remy.

[Philip Ancalagon]
Phillip decided that he had had enough cave adventure and desperately longed to feel the stars overhead and breathe fresh air. He untied himself from the rope, wished Sam and Jack the best of luck and hurried back towards the entrance.
[Just in case anyone cared … it was a simple Rule 68A … 6+ minimal success; 8+ success; 10+ high success.
Jo roll = (9)
Remy roll = (10)
Mac roll = (8)
Then I looked at skills and abilities to narrate the results.

Philip has retired to NPC status while his player deals with Real Life ... who knows, we may see him again. Life is full of surprises.]
[Area #6]
About twenty feet ahead, the ceiling has collapsed into the tunnel leaving a simple, stable pile of rocks 2 feet high and 2 feet wide across half the width of the 4-foot-wide tunnel. Opposite the pile of rock, a passage or alcove on the right creates a natural ambush point. The choice to be made is the easy walk near the alcove or to scramble over the rocks with a little distance between you and the alcove.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques is not happy at all about the path they chose. "Are we sure we should go this way? I know it looks worn, but there was a glowing light from that crack back there." He looks nervously at the ceiling and cracks everywhere.

As Philip leaves, Jacques turns to look back longingly. Then back at the path his friends walked. He shakes his head and makes up his mind. "I'm coming. I just want to check on that crack." He follows Philip back as far as #3 and reaches his arm in to feel around.

His plan is to check the crevice, then return and walk across the treacherous path.

Sorry about the backtracking. Reading it again today triggered something.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#155 Post by atpollard »

Josephine Baxter-Smith, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Jacques Bonnet (Secret Door in woods [near #19])
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 6:30 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

[Jacques Bonnet]
Jacques followed Philip back to the glowing crevice [#3] and watched him disappear over the ledge into the great chamber [#1]. Having spent more time away from the lantern, your eyes had further adjusted to the darkness of the cavern. In the deep dark, the crevice was clearly illuminated with a pale light … like the glow of starlight on an ice float. Reaching into the crevice, you discovered it was soft and cool and sticky.
Jacques quickly snatched his arm from the crack, startled by the sudden “grabbing” sensation on his arm. The rapid motion pulled free some sort of lichen or fungus that seemed to ooze the sticky sap across its surface and was clearly the source of the light. The rippled plant continued to glow and the air around you was filled with a strong, sweet floral scent. An examination showed that the scent seemed to come from the sap. The plant peeled off easily, but a thin film of the sticky sap clung to your arm like Maple Syrup.
The crevice itself was tall and very narrow with the glow of the fungus reaching both above and below the present passage.

Returning to the dangerous crossing, Jacques made it through the narrow walls without incident, until he reached the unstable floor and his shotgun brushed a wall as he transitioned from the center to the edge. The small falling rocks posed little danger in and of themselves, but they left Jacques dangerously off balance and about to step into the fragile center of the floor. Using his exceptional agility, he leapt across the floor and landed along the safe ledge at the opposite wall. Securing the Shotgun, Jacques continued the short distance to safely rejoin the group.
Just in case anyone cared … it was a simple Rule 68A … 6+ minimal success; 8+ success; 10+ high success.
Jacques roll = (5); Roll vs Dexterity (<10 on 2d6) = (8)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo stays put until everyone is together again, but will spend her time studying the tunnel ahead for dangers.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#157 Post by AsenRG »

Remy helps Jacques up.
"Glad to see you're keeping fit, monsieur Jacques", he noted. "Well, now that everyone is on this side...shall we go? Me and miss Jo can go first. We seem to be the most silent ones. And you can bring the gats, if we need them. But we'd try to work silently."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He looks back at the chasm below. "Me too, Remy. Me too."

He pulls his eyes away from the floor and tries to focus on what's ahead. "Very well. But yes, quiet is good."

Under the light of the lantern once again, Jacques examines the residue on his arm.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#159 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 6:35 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

[Area #6]
About twenty feet ahead, the ceiling has collapsed into the tunnel leaving a simple, stable pile of rocks 2 feet high and 2 feet wide across half the width of the 4-foot-wide tunnel. Opposite the pile of rock, a passage or alcove on the right creates a natural ambush point. The choice to be made is the easy walk near the alcove or to scramble over the rocks with a little distance between you and the alcove.

[Josephine Baxter-Smith]
Jo studied the passage ahead, but detected nothing more than the obvious natural pinch point in the tunnel and the dark hidden area to the right. The light shining further down the tunnel showed more fallen rock scattered across the floor, more dark cervices and shadowy hiding places, and two large rocks projecting from the floor about 50 feet ahead.

[Jacques Bonnet]
Jacques examined his arm under the light and found it coated with patches of a pale white milky liquid. Scattered among the liquid were small chunks of translucent greenish white plant with the texture of a sponge. Squeezing a sponge-like speck caused it to ooze the pale white liquid and released a strong, sweet floral scent.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo moves forward, staying to the right (away from the alcove). As soon as she can see into it, she stops and visually examines it. If she sees nothing obvious, she continues past the alcove.
FA FO

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”