Scenario #1 Player Trap & Dungeon Coordination

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Scenario #1 Player Trap & Dungeon Coordination

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Players can post where and what types of traps to deploy on the dungeon maps here. The DM will ignore this thread unless asked to jump in per the players. If need be you all can use spoilers as well. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Player Trap & Dungeon Coordination

#2 Post by shaidar »

guys, Upchuck has both phantasmal force and affect normal fires, we ought to make use of them in conjunction with traps/ambushes. I did consider wall of fog, but thought ANF might be more interesting.

unfortunately he only gets 1 MU spell per day.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

This is my first time playing 2e, so bear with me. I'm figuring out Madadam's spells, which he gets a bonus 2nd level spell, but I'm not sure it that is at first level, or if I need to wait.

Also, Madadam has INT 11, so I'm giving him Common as his second language. Anyone else have a 2nd language? (I'm thinking of changing one of my other PC's stats to allow for this.)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

All mine are dumb as a box of rocks. One has a shovel and likes pits. Illusions and ANF are great ideas. Fixing up a dead end we can lock them in is an idea as well. Maybe the room across from #2 or some sort of cave in to block them into #3?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Room three is the throne room for the chieftain. I don't think he'd let us do that, but if we could, like I said before, it's easier to take control of the tribe. :D But rooms 13 or 14 might be better options for cave ins. Perhaps an illusion to look like there is a passage out so the adventurers walk in without much thought, then spring the trap manually? (Or an illusion so they don't see us hiding...)

I can see Madadam casting darkness as the adventurers near an oil trap or enter a dead end so we can fire arrows at them and then run away.

I am dismayed there are no circles on that map. Everything dead ends or exits the tunnels.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Circles would help. Fire arrows and oil could be could. If in one of the dead ends it might suffocate them as well.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Zeromancer »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:This is my first time playing 2e, so bear with me. I'm figuring out Madadam's spells, which he gets a bonus 2nd level spell, but I'm not sure it that is at first level, or if I need to wait.

Also, Madadam has INT 11, so I'm giving him Common as his second language. Anyone else have a 2nd language? (I'm thinking of changing one of my other PC's stats to allow for this.)
@Rusty Tincanne - You actually get 2 bonus 1st level spells in addition to the 2nd level spell (which you can use at 3rd level or however that's measured using this modded system). The extra 1st level clerical spells you'll have access to now I imagine. As for the languages, none of my goblins are intelligent to learn more than a single tongue. Using the rules as written, a 2nd language can be learned only by those with an Int of 9 or higher (not counting racial ones). A civilized elf would have Elvish and Common, but as goblins are monstrous humanoids, most tend to know only Goblin.

As for traps, two of mine are probably not much use in the construction of such devices. The best they can do is dig pits where told to. The one who fancies himself as a "thief" might have a bit more ingenuity and manage to make a few perimeter alarms using rat bones.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Upchuck has an INT if 11, so he also speaks common, my other gobbo's are pretty dumb. I chose Command for his clerical spell, although Cause Fear would be a good alternative.

AFN can be used to extinguish torches/fires, we'd still have to deal with those that have infravision. IIRC, Darkness also affects infravision, so we would be affected too?

I need to go an have a good look at the maps and read the room descriptions.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Double check with Geywolfvt but I thought it said goblins don't get bonus spells.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Zeromancer »

Rex wrote:Double check with Geywolfvt but I thought it said goblins don't get bonus spells.
That would be unfortunate. :/

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So I've reread the traps section of the Goblin PC rules. We cannot use fish sauce, have only 3 vials of oil and few lengths of rope.

I am thinking a snare trap outside the entrance, which would need to be triggered by hand, would be a nice way to "welcome" the adventurers, followed by a shower of rocks from above. (Any volunteers? Those PCs would need to run away for another entrance to get back in the game, but it would be a cool way to gain notoriety in the tribe. It would also be a good way to divest yourself of a few characters if you don't want to play all three at once, since at least one PC would be off camera for a bit.)

Other than that, I still love the idea of using magic to cause darkness and then prod them into pit traps or places to dump rocks on their heads.

Could we put punji sticks in the softer sand? It might get the elves and wizard, at least.

Also, maybe we can load the main entrance up with lots of rocks to make it narrower, creating a choke point. We can place a decent barricade at the end, and pepper them with arrows. Fairly dwarf-like, but we can really overwhelm them with arrows that way. Maybe even send a group outside to attack them from both sides...

I also think we ought to get Mogur Praek's permission to launch a raid on the local town to secure more oil, rope and other raw materials we can use. Glass to make glass shards on the floor, barrels for holding rocks or water we can later dump, etc.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Dram »

I was also thinking that the room with flint(Area 6) in it soak the floor in oil. Hang oil traps from ceiling in some other room ( Like Skyrim with flint attached somehow so it ignites when it hits the floor.) The idea of making a pinch point and then ambushing them outside is a good one too.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

alll great ideas, sorry I haven't had a chance to come up with some.

we need to mention that trip to raid the village to GreywolfVT, as I'm not sure what the next part of the adventure is and we don't want things to progress past the point we can do it.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by shaidar »

Do we want upchuck to use his Phantasmal force to create a false wall to the right of the flint pit, so we direct the evil adventurers into sections 13/14?

we might then have them bottled up in a dead-end.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Sounds good.

Return to “Archive”