Greetings Old Schoolers!

Post here to introduce yourself.
Zizzle
Squire
Squire

Greetings Old Schoolers!

#1 Post by Zizzle »

Hello!

I come from a background of using the old Chainmail rules and migrating to the famed 1e and 2e rules. I was a prolific DM back in the day as most of my friends simply didn't have the inclination, patience and dedication to craft good dungeon scenarios or build a world from scratch. I suppose being a creative artist had something to do with that... ;)

What brought me here was a friend and member of a guild I belong to in DDO. I believe he uses the same name here as he does in the other forum we troll read and post in. We even participated in a PbP campaign there before it kind of died off. Sadly, as I rather enjoyed that kind of playing style and brought back many an old memories of dungeon spelunking.

Of late and many times in the past, I get it in my head that I will make my own tools for DMing and players to help facilitate the flow of the game. I have read with great interest some of the messages here on these forums by DMs and players alike. Well, DMs more than players as they are the ones to must create, keep track of, provide the substance of their game worlds to the players.

I had played around with various dice rollers and programmed several of my own for my own use, and that lead me to follow a link from my friend (I'll let him reveal himself if he so desires ;) ) to here. I have been over the years programming various game rules, many of them based on systems I devised on my own, or pulled from various rule sets (ODnD, 1e, 2e, 3.5e). My only problem is I am one man, and too many conflicting ideas in my head to focus on developing a SINGLE rule set to use. :shock:

I am an artist by trade, but have a sound understanding of coding in nearly any programming language on a computer, and develop dynamic websites as well. HTML, PHP, Java, MySQL are all tools I use to develop my gaming tools. Lack of focus and direction has not kept me on track though, and I really have not decided completely on what rule set I want to use, or what to keep and pull from others.

Any how I tend to get long winded and this is well past a simple introduction, so I will end here by saying, "Hello!" again.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Greetings Old Schoolers!

#2 Post by Alethan »

Hey, Ziz. Glad you could make it over! :)

Welcome to The Unseen Servant!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Zizzle! I think you'll enjoy yourself here on Unseen Servant. I know I do (probably too much)! :D

Are you looking to play? DM? Simply lurk?

Your timing is interesting as I am in the process of trying to launch a game that is borrowing from a wide variety of editions as well as a healthy dose of customized rules as well. It's a heck of a lot of work, especially starting from basically scratch (I haven't attempted to DM anything in over 20 years). I found, once I had ToniXX formally set me up with an official forum for my proposed game, the pressure to complete it really got ratcheted up and is serving as a good motivator to dive in and formalize all my plans and commit them to the written typed word. If you're at all tempted, you should consider starting a game of your own here. I'm sure your game would attract some interest.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

- Dave

P.S. I'm completely jealous of your programming skills. I have long wanted to learn programming myself, and have occasionally dabbled with .NET, but I fear I'm too easily distracted with play-by-post games that I haven't been able to commit the time necessary to really learn it yet.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

A hearty welcome from myself as well. I'm the admin around here, and am happy to see new people joining every week. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you'd like to DM a game. And in the meantime, make yourself at home. You're welcome to read the games in progress, and/or post in the RPG discussion area.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zizzle
Squire
Squire

#5 Post by Zizzle »

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

I am interested in DMing a game, but I do not have enough material set up yet to start one. Or rather it is still mostly in my head in bits and pieces scattering throughout the lands and virtual space. SO take that as I am interested, but not ready to DM. However, I gotta start somewhere!

I was checking out some of the campaigns here and mostly to get an idea of what rule sets the DMs are using. I was tickled to see that dmw71 is using a stat system VERY similar to mine. I personally hate the 18.XX system, and thought also that the ODnD stat bonus progression was almost pointless. I like stats that progress with some meaningful difference between say an 8 and 14. :roll:

Additionally, I have been setting up MySQL tables for as many rules as I can set in stone, so long as I don't get distracted or take too long a break in coding and researching for game systems... :oops: However, I do have a good start, but it is still in its infancy. When I get more comfortable with a particular rule set, or at least stop CHANGING my mind on how to go about it, I think I can make great strides in creating the DM tools for online play (PbP, or otherwise).

Given time, I will eventually share my ideas for these dungeoneering tools for GMs to use for various campaigns. I really love what the Unseen Servant Dice Roller does thus far. Great way to keep track of player characters, equipment and etc... Very nice! Ideally I would love a suite of tools for DMs to set up game worlds, quests objectives, NPCs, items and loot that takes away the tedious tracking of whatever needs to be tracked! Would love a way to calculate encumbrance automatically, or apply various bonuses to whatever actions require them, etc.

I am looking forward to working with you folks to help develop these tools for DMs, but also provide a means for players to view their current status, and the history of their actions to date.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

Welcome aboard the good ship Unseenservant, Zizzle!
dmw71 wrote:... I found, once I had ToniXX formally set me up with an official forum for my proposed game, the pressure to complete it really got ratcheted up...
Oh so true, Dave! :wink:

But it becomes immensely easier once you get off the runway and actually flying!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by onlyme »

Argennian wrote:Welcome aboard the good ship Unseenservant, Zizzle!
dmw71 wrote:... I found, once I had ToniXX formally set me up with an official forum for my proposed game, the pressure to complete it really got ratcheted up...
Oh so true, Dave! :wink:

But it becomes immensely easier once you get off the runway and actually flying!

Of course... Then you only have to worry about crashing and burning... :D
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:
Argennian wrote:But it becomes immensely easier once you get off the runway and actually flying!
Why do I suddenly feel like Blu, from the movie Rio?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
onlyme wrote:
Argennian wrote:But it becomes immensely easier once you get off the runway and actually flying!
Why do I suddenly feel like Blu, from the movie Rio?
You don't know how wonderful it makes me feel to NOT get that reference.

It means I'm watching just the right amount of kids movies. :) None.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:You don't know how wonderful it makes me feel to NOT get that reference.

It means I'm watching just the right amount of kids movies. None.
LOL
You don't know what you're missing out on. ;)

Seriously, though, some of them (Rio included) are actually quite funny. However, in the event you didn't watch the video clip, Blu is a bird that doesn't know how to fly.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:You don't know how wonderful it makes me feel to NOT get that reference.

It means I'm watching just the right amount of kids movies. None.
LOL
You don't know what you're missing out on. ;)

Seriously, though, some of them (Rio included) are actually quite funny. However, in the event you didn't watch the video clip, Blu is a bird that doesn't know how to fly.
Ah! He's a dodo!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Ah! He's a dodo!
Probably why I relate to him so well. :roll:
-- Project --
-- DM --