Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates - Part 1

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates - Part 1

#381 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Day 3 in Talv

Jamal wakes the following morning later in the morning having over slept compared to his usual after the last two days & nights activities having thoroughly exhausted him. He is still in his room at the Inn deciding if he wants breakfast in his room or if he wishes to go to his favorite Tavern for his morning feast. Jamal has a few things he on his mind to do this day, go check on his friend the Illusionist Librarian, explore the town further. Seek out more spell components, or anything else that might strike his fancy.

Jamal & Alara Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal awakens refreshed, slightly annoyed that Alara, curled up as she is upon his pillow, has drooled all over his forehead.

Getting up and bathing and breaking their fast with some fruits, the little sha’ir instructs Alara to fetch him the spell of unseen servant, and she crackles from view.

She is back in six minutes dejected. ”Again!” he grouses and with a petulant sigh, the air gen disappears in search of the spell.

In another six minutes she is back with the spell to hand smiling.

[1d100] = 26 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 : [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10

Jamal intones the words and summons the invisible force happily.

Forum code: [1d100] = 4

Come my dear, to the librarian, and some more spell demonstrations with a little luck.

Happy that his wizard locks, magic mouth spells and continual light stone, along with his armour Ward are all in situ.

The pair make their way leisurely through the market square to Montillos place, and rap cheerfully upon his front door.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#383 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo unlocks the library door and smiles seeing Jamal and Alara have returned "Ah yes back again my little friends. Ready for another demonstration? Or would you be seeking more books?" he politely asks opening the door for Jamal to enter the library. "Care for tea or coffee?" he politely asks. "Granted not near the books that is."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal smiles warmly and bows low. Hello Montillo my good fellow. Well some tea would be most pleasant thank you. I have come for another demonstration if you don’t mind thank you ever so kindly. What have you got memorised today? We can’t wait to see your magic in action once more.

The halfling steps inside with a floating Alara at his shoulder.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#385 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo smiles kindly and shows Jamal to a comfy seat once more. Then brings the tea over pours a cup for Jamal and hands it to him on a saucer. "Well I remembered to memorize Phantom Steed and Fly as I remember you were interested in them."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal sits and upon hearing the good illusionists proclamation can’t help but clap excitedly. Tremendous my good fellow. Amazing. I couldn’t be more thrilled. Your kindness is well appreciated.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#387 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo smiles kindly to Jamal "I am not like most mages. Though as you can tell I am protective of my books. I think for the spell demonstration today we might consider going outside for fly and phantom steed. I've got a private garden outback of the library it's quite a feat to keep it going in this harsh desert environment."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal claps excitedly and agrees with an eager interest.

Yes I would imagine keeping a garden going in Zakhara would be difficult. I can’t wait to see what these spells can do.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#389 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo sits down and enjoys a cup of tea with Jamal having conversation he asks Jamal about his homeland and his experiences as a Sha'ir. "So from which local area in Zahkara are you from? What got you to learn the ways of the Sha'ir?" he says to initiate conversation. After the chat and the tea he takes Jamal out to his private garden.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Storm11 »

The sha’ir smiles and sips his tea. Oh I was born in Muluk actually, and I had a certain aptitude for magic as it were. A genie flew over the city at the time of my birth in fact, so my mother says. I have always been fascinated with the all powerful elemental masters of this fair land, and the sad truth is for ridiculous reasons, halflings cannot use the memorized type of magic. Our minds do not function that way it is said. So I access my power by conjuring and controlling genie-kind. It is the most versatile kind of power don’t you know. .

Alara hurrumps at the notion she is in any way controlled, but says nothing further.

The pair are happy to follow Montillo out into his garden eagerly
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#391 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The Garden

Montillo leads Alara & Jamal through a door in the back of the library slightly concealed to the naked eye, and out to his desert garden surprisingly it is of all native plants and vegetation to the area. There is a short stone wall and a lone stone bench to sit upon. Really quite cozy looking for a desert garden. There is a little dirt path walkway that leads to the bench and arcs back around in a loop to the door in the back of the library the stone wall goes all around the library with no gate to leave through. "I wanted to have a small fountain or pond here but unfortunately the climate just isn't ideal for such a thing. Perhaps if I were to relocate closer to Muluk I'd have place to have such a thing with a readily available water source from the Al-Zalim river." is the only comment he gives. Before he sets down his spellbook and begins the spell casting for Phantom Steed. The Illusionist/Librarian goes through the entire ritual of the spell summoning forth a phantom steed out of seemingly nowhere it appears Monitllo has created steed with a black head and body, gray mane and tail, and smoke-colored, insubstantial hooves that make no sound. Its eyes are milky-colored. It has what seems to be a saddle and a bit and bridle. The creature is quite the site to behold.

Montillo mounts the steed and rides around his garden in a slow walk to show Jamal the steed better. "Now some things to note about the steed. milky-colored. It does not fight, but all normal animals shun it and only monstrous ones will attack it. The steed can bear the casters weight plus 10 pounds of weight in in addition to the rider per the casters experience. So this wouldn't carry me and a large load like a pack animal. Once the phantom steed is killed it will vanish. However the more experienced the caster is the steed is capable of gaining greater abilities. Such as walking atop of water as if it were solid, or being able to pass through mud, sands and swamps without difficulty, the ability to travel through the air as if it were solid ground. At the highest experience obtained the phantom steed can perform as if it were a pegasus. At each higher level the steed will maintain the abilities from the less levels as well as the new ones."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal stands there open mouthed. Alara begins to clap excitedly as Montillo mounts and rides the creature.

Extraordinary! It is beautiful. I am truly humbled. What an amazing creation. You are truly a powerful master of illusionary magic. Montillo, I am in your debt sir. the halfling says dumbfounded, his mouth hanging loose.

Clearly impressed, the sha’ir wanders to the stone bench and sits.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#393 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo dismounts the steed near the bench and takes a half bow to his audience "See now the only trouble is dismissing the creature. I so abhor violence, I wish not to harm the creature, but can you imagine the looks I'd get riding this through Talv?" he says to Jamal and Alara. He merely allows the steed to wander the garden as he prepares the next spell. Montillo pulls out the wing feather of a falcon. After completing the spells casting ritual the man walks around the path and jumps into the air taking flight he flies casually around the garden about 12 feet above Jamal and Alara sometimes comically like a bird he moves his arms as if they are aiding his flight he smiles at his watching audience and stops his silliness and flies a few more times around the garden lands once on the library roof waves down to Jamal and Alara then flies back down to the garden and lands near the bench "I will warn you the one unpredictable part of the fly spell is that the duration it will last is unpredictable. So be sure not to stay in flight too long at too far a height for if the spell wears off before you can land surely would mean your doom, unless you are prepared with a feather fall spell or item of similar ability to that spell. Even levitation could help save you from a fly spells wearing off and the fall afterward." closing up his spell book for the moment he looks to Jamal "So what did you think of today's demonstrations?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by Storm11 »

Montillo, my good chap, you have NO idea how marvellous and amazing this has been. Absolutely stupendous. To fly like Alara can, well together we might even catch up to the others with magic such as these two. You are one fine wizard I can assure you of that. If I come into some spare cash, I shall see for sure it is yours. I must find some feathers to enact the flight magic as soon as I can. Any feather will do, or something more specific? It must feel amazing, soaring into the sky. I must say Montillo I am surprised that one isn’t in your mind all the time. What a way to make life easier and more exhilarating. Good show, good show. Jamal says, jumping to his feet and clapping loudly.

The djinnling looks sidewide at the illusionist somewhat put out that her own gifts have been copied by these humans. Still the thought of having Jamal fly along beside her is appealing and soon she is smiling as well.

Do you know the way to the hermits place? How long would it take to get there on a phantom Steed do you think?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#395 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo informs Jamal "Most any feather so long as it is a wing feather of any bird will work. Feathers from any other type of creature won't do you any good. As it happens I have a spare feather that is yours if you so desire." he pulls out a second feather from a robe pocket "This one is from an owl. I have always liked owls. You can have the owl feather or the falcon feather I just used, the choice is yours. As for money I ask not for any your friendly visits have been grand as you can see I don't get many visitors that wish to stay and chat. To have a friend here is the greatest payment I can ask for." he smiles and notices Alara's reaction to the fly spell "I am sorry if seeing me fly has offended you at all Alara, bestowing the ability of flight to a flightless being is rather concerning though I must admit the experience is thrilling to have a brief taste of what other creatures can do naturally. It is humbling." he says with a slight bow to the gen. "Hermit? Do you mean the Mystic that lives out in the valley of echos? Mahara I believe is the old mans name. Yes I believe he resides in a cavern in a vale the other side of the Valley of Echos a goat trail leads up to his vale if I remember correctly. I only visited the man one time he was a man of great knowledge of ancient history of the lands here. He likes riddles to as I recall. By means of a Phantom steed you might catch your friends they've been gone for what two days?" he asks.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal takes the feather gratefully. A friendship is my pleasure my good fellow. Excellent. It seems that the mystic has gone missing and no one can find out if he is ok. My friends asked me to magically identify some enchanted items for them, and then rushed out whilst I was still debilitated. Bunch of arseholes if you don’t mind me saying, but they are my company so I guess I ought to see if they are ok. I shall look in on you once I have returned if that is acceptable Montillo. You have been invaluable.

Alara flies over and pecks the human wizard on the cheek with a kiss. Its been fun to be around a REAL wizard for a change!” she says smirking sidelong at Jamal, whose face suddenly reddens. I understand completely. Even the briefest of glimpses into my own magical power can be humbling to mortal men. A pleasure Montillo.

With that the duo make their leave and wave goodbye. Once out of sight the sha’ir races back to the tavern yard, instructing Alara to fetch an invisibility spell.

[1d100] = 100 : [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7 The gen however is gone for ages and whilst Jamal can feel the link to her is still strong, and thus she isn’t dead, he cannot recall her. Eventually she shimmers into being 13 minutes later, shaking her head.

Sorry Master, I ran into a djinn I hadn’t spoken to in AGES, oh but he is a talker.

Jamal waves that away. ”AGAIN!” he says shooing her off. With a bow she is gone again. In five minutes she returns smiling. I have it she cries. Quickly, the halfling casts the spell.
[1d100] = 16 : [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 2+4 = 6

Failure chance [1d100] = 68 sucessfully Jamal shimmers froknview.

Again my dear. One for you as well the sha’ir says hurriedly.

Perhapd knowing it was for her ALara returns even more swiftly, and in three minutes is back with the spell. I feel it! the halfling’s disembodied voice says excitedly, calling the air gen over. He casts the spell over Alara and she too ripples from view. [1d100] = 40

Now we should remain hidden from sight for a whole day, well into tomorrow morning, but we need to make haste. Can you try and fetch the Phantom Steed spell for me my dear,” he asks eagerly. The air crackles as Alara rushes off to fetch the spell of she can. Realising that it will take some time for her to find such powerful magic Jamal begins to pack his belongings, filling his waterskins and rations.

It’s over an hour later when Alara returns, panting and empty handed. I couldn’t find it master.
[1d100] = 70 : [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 : [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 : [1d6+3] = 4+3 = 7 : [1d6+4] = 4+4 = 8

Be a dear and try one more time would you? Jamal says to seemingly empty air. The area before him crackles briefly with a small sigh. It’s less than an hour his time that the wind gen returns still empty hand [1d100] = 84 : [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5

Once more then, and we shall call it a day Jamal says with understanding. The air sparks as Alara rushes off into the other planes

Forty minutes later she appears, giddy with glee. I have it master I have it.. Whooping with joy the invisible Sha’ir casts the long spell, feeling power unlike any he has ever felt before rush through him. In ten minutes the spell builds its power and a sleek shimmering horse materialises before the pair.

Amazing! the halfling says commanding it mentally to get down onto its forelegs so he can climb aboard. Alara settles down in the crook of the invisible wizards arms eventually after feelimgnher way about, and with that the horse silently gets to its feet and darts off through Talv, the cries and cheers of two exhilarated unseen riders echoing as it passes.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#397 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The Phantom Steed moves at a movement rate of 4 per level of the spellcaster just for your references. So currently at Jamal's level the steed can move at a rate of 16. Whereas the camels move at a rate of 21 currently.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Storm11 »

ok. He is still intent on using the spell. It’s diffcult to hide a camel when you are camping invisibly on your own in the desert. But a Steed that vanishes and scares away normal predators is worth the slowness.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#399 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo tries to catch Jamal before he rushes off "Jamal I have something that might help get you to your friends faster." he calls into the street looking around sees that Jamal is nowhere in sight apparently he was too slow in trying to catch the halfling Sha'ir he heads up the street a ways but doesn't find Jamal unsure of where the halfling has gone to he sighs and heads back into the library.

GreyWolfVT

#400 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Return to “Archive”