0. Prelude

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: 00. Prelude

#41 Post by dmw71 »

Pendleton and Bingus remain centered on the deck, away from the side of the ship, with the former mutterring some indistinguishable words while the later successfully avoids soiling himself. On the port side, Dagg, Elias, Morgan, Sasha, and Welby from the party, and Donald and Gregory, the guards, all let loose their projectiles once the command is issued by Captain Raleigh, and, remarkably, every single missile finds its mark, piercing the slender, eel-like forms swimming towards the boat.

At the same time, the actual crew members of the ship back away from the port side railing while lowering their weapons and join Captain Raleigh in some uproarious laughter!

"That really was some damn fine shootin'," the Captain genuinely admits while efforting to compose himself. "Pendleton, my good man," he says, slapping the scholar on his back. "You keep trusting your instincts and yer gonna be just fine." he says, before finding himself unable to suppress another fit of laughter. After taking a moment to fully compose himself, he turns to the collective group volunteers and begins to address them. "That, obviously, was a test." he says, reminding the group that they were brought on partially for defensive purposes.

"How would a snake get up here on deck?" he wonders aloud while looking at Pendleton. "While those sea snakes are extremely venomous, we pass 'em all the time, and I ain't never seen one of 'em attempt to storm the ship here... besides, their mouths are so small, it's unlikely they'd be able to do much harm even if they did."

"You all did well,"
he finishes. "Really well.... now, back to your places." he orders, while the mentors, whom were all in on the exercise, come and offer some good-natured ribbing to their recruits.

Before resuming sale, Kennit and the Captain share a private discussion and, anyone paying attention notices that they alter their course somewhat once the ship launches.

End of Day Five
Estimated Miles Traveled (Destination: 275 miles)
- Day 1: 45 miles (45 total)
- Day 2: 45 miles (90 total)
- Day 3: 65 miles (155 total)
- Day 4: 35 miles (190 total)
- Day 5: 20 miles (210 total)

---

Day Six
Day six is cursed with a relative lack of wind, affecting the overall progress of an otherwise uneventful day.

End of Day Six
Estimated Miles Traveled (Destination: 275 miles)
- Day 6: 35 miles (245 total)

---

Day Seven
The last day of your first week of sailing is a remarkable one and the Devil's Mistress is able to match the progress of her third day at sail. The group continues their training, but there are no more exercises or genuine encounters.

Captain Raleigh addresses the entire crew at one point. "It seems we may have gotten off course a bit, early on. We made an adjustment to our course the other day and, assuming our calculations are correct, we have a very real chance of reaching Riddleport as soon as tomorrow! he says proudly. "Fourteen days." he scoffs. "Shoulda been half that!" he says, hinting that a part of him expected to have reached Riddleport at some point today.

End of Day Seven
- Day 6: 35 miles (245 total)
- Day 7: 95 miles (340 total)

----

Sorry about the "test." You only had a single encounter (the dolphins) the entire journey. A second roll almost resulted in an encounter, so I threw in the snakes. No harm done (except for a lost arrow). ;)

(Warning: It should probably go without saying, given who it is, but there is language in the below clip... )
"Snakes on a Boat," starring Samuel L. Jackson.

Anyway, if possible, I'll have you guys docking in Riddleport later tonight. (I have after-hours work for my real job on Thursday nights, so I might not be able.) If not tonight, tomorrow.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton laughs at the crew's joke. "Well done!" he says. "I had no idea that passage on this ship also included entertainment! 'Them sneaky bastards find a way,' huh? Captain, I had no idea you had such a sense of humor."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dagg shrugs puts back the ships crossbow and goes back about his work/training "Good one captain. I just figured you knew more than I did about the sea so I just did as ordered. But it was a good joke." the dwarf can't help but chuckle at himself and the others reactions.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by LtTibbles »

Elias returned his weapons back with the rest of the others, he was a bit disappointed that the whole ordeal was merely a test but no one was hurt that was the important thing. Once the weapons were stowed he reported back to Kennit to continue his duties. "That was some impressive shooting though huh?" he cracked a toothy grin as he grabbed the magnifying lenses.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by dmw71 »

Day Eight
It's not long into the eight day of sail aboard the Devil's Mistress before the awaited call rings out. "Land, ho!" Sure enough, far off on the horizon, a hint of land begins to emerge.

"Now, before we make land, a few things ye should know 'bout Riddleport," Captain Raleigh cautions. "Riddleport was founded pirates, and, in fact, the current overlord is a former pirate captain named Gaston Cromarcky. Old Cromarcky has been in control for over three decades and while he has done much to bring order to what was a lawless city, it can still a tough place."

"In other words, always be mindful of yer surroundings."

After he's sure he has everyone's undivided attention, he continues. "Like everyone else, the first thing you'll notice is the Cyphergate, a large arch that looms over the harbor." He turns and points. "It should be coming into view any minute," he adds. Sure enough, as the Devil's Mistress glides into the gulf, a large arch, secured by rocky crags on either side of the harbor mouth, becomes the dominate feature of the city as you approach. "'Tis over 300-feet high, and more than twice as wide," Raleigh narrates, aware that the focus of everyone on board is now shifted to the magnificent site. "Off to the right is the Riddleport Light," he says, pointing to a beacon tower which provides guidance to the safety of the harbor and away from the treacherous rocks
just to the east of the harbor mouth.
Arriving in Riddleport.jpg
Arriving in Riddleport.jpg (160.1 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Alton quickly runs a flag up to full mast. "The flag of Riddleport," Raleigh points out, explaining that a ship flying that flag is said to keep a ship safe from pirate attacks. As the Devil's Mistress approaches the storied arch, he and his entire crew whisper quick prayers, and Reis and Avi produce some sort of charm, kissing them, while they pass beneath it.

Riddleport’s harbor is a somewhat crowded natural cove grown increasingly dense with piers and ship traffic. Run-off from the city’s sewage gutters and silt from the ever-muddy Velashu River which extends from the harbor to beyond the city to the north, sometimes transforms the water into a nasty brown. Raleigh, noticing the surprised looks, mentions that, for the most part, ocean currents keep the harbor relatively fresh. "These ocean currrents also help keep the harbor filled with fish, which in turn draws numerous, more dangerous predators to the harbor. No matter what ye do, do not go overboard," he cautions, sharing that he has personally seen shark, reefclaws, bunyips, devilfish, and barracuda swimming free. "Ye go over, ye have maybe a minute. Maybe." After his cautionary tale, Raleigh returns to his crew and they begin to slowly pilot the Devil's Mistress into a smaller harbor off to the left, as this inner harbor provides more direct access to the mills and mercantile buildings.

The group eventually disembarks into an area known as the 'Windward District', an affluent section of Riddleport. The area consists of sturdy timber structures built upon the slopes of the city’s western ridgeline. Winding paths with steps cut into the bare stone provide egress through this steep district, and most buildings are several stories high with
numerous balconies, many connected by narrow bridges. "The rich live here, so it's relatively safe," Raleigh assures the group.

"Do ye want to set off on yer own, or join me and me crew for a well-deserved feast... and a drink'r two." he asks excitedly.
-- Project --
-- DM --

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by LtTibbles »

Elias Takes in the sights and sounds of the port from the deck of the ship. "It'll be good to be back on solid land again. Let's get some food, it'll give us a chance to get our land legs back and you can always learn much about where you're in just by listening to the sounds of the tavern. Let's see what we can learn shall we?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#47 Post by Alethan »

Welby nods his agreement to food. "Let's eat!" He casts his eyes about anxiously as they head to the tavern.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sasha scowls at the arch, and at the rest of the port.

From a ship full of stinky men, to a port full of stinky men? I wonder where the nearest tree is? Anyway......I'm definitely up for getting off this ship and on to an uncomfortable barstool. I'll go with ye cap'n. She accents the last words to sound more..... piratey.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Day Eight
It's not long into the eight day of sail aboard the Devil's Mistress before the awaited call rings out. "Land, ho!" Sure enough, far off on the horizon, a hint of land begins to emerge.
Dagg replies "Eh what'd yah call me?"
"Now, before we make land, a few things ye should know 'bout Riddleport," Captain Raleigh cautions. "Riddleport was founded pirates, and, in fact, the current overlord is a former pirate captain named Gaston Cromarcky. Old Cromarcky has been in control for over three decades and while he has done much to bring order to what was a lawless city, it can still a tough place."

"In other words, always be mindful of yer surroundings."
Dagg nods heeding the advice given "Yeah but we can be tough as well good captain. But yer advice is well read and taken. Finally solid ground again. Oh how I am glad to see dry solid land again."
"Do ye want to set off on yer own, or join me and me crew for a well-deserved feast... and a drink'r two." he asks excitedly.
Dagg perks up at the word feast "Aye. I'd be glad to gather with you and your crew at a great feast. Do tell will there be mead?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#50 Post by ToniXX »

Morgan watches the arch pass over the ship. She holds her nose at the potentially smelly and dangerous waters, looking over the side into the murk and shadow. She watches the crew pull up to a dock, and helps where necessary, tossing lines to stevedores on the docks, and helping to push the gang plank down.

Once on solid ground, she also agrees that a stout meal and a flagon or two of a hearty beverage is in line.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton reacts with trepidation to the Captain's description of Riddleport. "It sounds like quite an unsavory place," he says. "Are there any men of learning here? A library, perhaps? Or is everyone in town a ruffian?" Pendleton decides against asking what sort of business might lead a captain to bring his ship to a town full of pirates.

He gazes at the Cyphergate. As the ship approaches the huge arch, he reaches for his notepad and begins to sketch the arch, paying close attention to any symbols or runes on the gate. "An interesting structure," he says. "Does it have magical properties?"

When the Captain warns of dangers in the water, Pendleton chuckles. "No swimming or diving, huh? That's a real shame. I was just thinking how rejuvenating it would be to take a dip into muck-brown water that smells of sewage." He edges toward the side of the boat, hoping to catch a glimpse of one of the dangers the Captain listed, but, heeding the warning, stays a few feet back.

When the Captain extends his invitation to dinner, Pendleton gladly accepts with a flourishing bow. "I would be honored to accompany you," he says.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by dmw71 »

Moving here: I. Riddleport.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's BX Game”